ADVERTISEMENT

“The Brock Curdy”….Iowa’s BEST burger!

JJ’s in Ankeny wins the “Best Burger in Iowa” award….
The “Brock Curdy”…
JJ’s has been open only 4 months!
Huh. We went there about a month after it opened that thought it was not great. Way worse than Tavern 180 which preceded it at that location. Maybe we need to give it another try.

Huh. We went there about a month after it opened that thought it was not great. Way worse than Tavern 180 which preceded it at that location. Maybe we need to give it another try.
Must have caught them on a “ bad day” right? Where are they located in Ankeny? Other than Otter Creek, I don’t get to Ankeny very much.
The owners did seem genuinely surprised they won the award…. And appreciative.

Is there where Tanners was and Fiesta Jalapeños is now?
Tanners' space was split up about 70/30, and rightly failed because it was gross. 70% of Tanners is now Fiesta Jalapenos, which is not good. 30% was Tavern 180, which we liked but went under, and is now JJ's.

Reactions: Derekd3408
Tanners' space was split up about 70/30, and rightly failed because it was gross. 70% of Tanners is now Fiesta Jalapenos, which is not good. 30% was Tavern 180, which we liked but went under, and is now JJ's.
Have you been to 36th St Tavern yet? Thinking about trying it on Sat.

If you are looking for something nice, Flavory Bistro has the best food in Ankeny. If you are looking for more of a bar situation, we liked 30 hop.
Been to both those, just looking for something different to try. We are in Ankeny 3-4 times a month so we have tried almost everything at least once.

Not the negative ones. I am skeptical of glowing reviews because I am sure the owners give at least some of them.
We are opposites on that. A lot of poor reviews are by Karen's that didn't get an absolutely perfect experience and want to bitch and be over dramatic for effect. IMO of course.

I've only had brunch at Trailside, so might go there as well.

Reactions: lucas80
We are opposites on that. A lot of poor reviews are by Karen's that didn't get an absolutely perfect experience and want to bitch and be over dramatic for effect. IMO of course.

Trailside is probably our favorite place in Ankeny. Flavory Bistro has the best food, but Trailside has broader appeal to more people, and their food is awesome.

3129307969_dcd291490d.jpg

Reactions: QChawks and lucas80

I love reading Karen's reviews. EVERYTHING WAS TERRIBLE, but a lot of them end with, the food was good, or some random positive throw in. I assume @The Tradition spends most of his nights on the road split between smoking cigarettes in front of the motel while posting scathing reviews, and reminding people on HORT that he travels a lot for business.

I was surprised to see an IC location make the top 10, so I'll make a point of trying Wilder. The bulk of my IC burgers are from Shakespeare's or Harry's, with the occasional trip down memory lane at Mickey's
So, to the Ankeny peeps, the next time Mrs. Lucas and I hit the Duluth Trading Company, is it worth the side trip to JJ's?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT