ADVERTISEMENT

Burger King and Bojangles Franchise Chains Closing After Filing Chapter 11 Bankruptcy

Sharky1203

HR All-American
Silver Member
Sep 14, 2023
In the ever-competitive fast-food industry brands like Burger King and Bojangles are facing a series of economic challenges that have led to significant shifts and closures, highlighting the volatile nature of the business amid current global financial pressures. The recent filings for Chapter 11 bankruptcy by several prominent franchise operators underscore the harsh realities of operating within this sector.

A Storm Brewing in the Fast-Food Sector​

The fast-food landscape has been enduring brutal competition, exacerbated by inflation and the economic uncertainties looming over consumers. The affordability of home dining, coupled with rising labor costs and an increased debt load from the COVID-19 pandemic, has created a perfect storm for companies struggling to keep their doors open.

Restaurant Brands International (RBI), the powerhouse behind Burger King and Popeyes, has felt the brunt of these challenges more than most. In a startling revelation, three major Burger King franchisees declared bankruptcy in 2023, leading to the closure of hundreds of outlets.

Popeyes wasn’t spared either, with significant numbers of its franchises also succumbing to financial strain. RBI’s intervention to purchase Carrols, its largest Burger King franchisee, underscored the severity of the situation. Carrols, operating 1,022 Burger King and 60 Popeyes restaurants, represented a significant portion of RBI’s franchise operations, hinting at the depth of the crisis within the fast-food giant’s empire.

The Ripple Effects of Bankruptcy​

The bankruptcy filings didn’t just signify financial trouble for the franchise operators but also led to RBI making strategic moves to salvage its operations.

The company stepped in to buy out certain locations of its bankrupt franchisees, Premier Kings and Meridian, allowing some stores to remain open while others were shuttered. This move highlighted RBI’s commitment to maintaining its presence, even as it navigated the complexities of bankruptcy and ownership transitions.

Bojangles’ Bankruptcy Woes: A Symptom of a Larger Problem​

Bojangles, another significant player in the fast-food arena, faced its own set of challenges. Known for its Southern-style offerings, the chain saw the closure of all its Maryland locations due to financial issues plaguing one of its franchisees.

Unlike RBI, Bojangles’ private ownership under Durational Capital Management LP and Jordan Co. limits public insight into its financial health, leaving industry observers to speculate on the brand’s overall stability.

The bankruptcy of Bojangles’ franchisees not only resulted in store closures but also brought to light allegations of wage theft and fraudulent practices by the former operators, further tarnishing the brand’s reputation. The company’s reliance on the franchise model, similar to RBI, exposes the inherent risks of this business strategy, particularly in times of economic downturn.

The recent upheavals serve as a cautionary tale for the fast-food sector, emphasizing the need for adaptability, financial prudence, and innovative customer engagement strategies.

As companies like RBI and Bojangles chart their courses through these turbulent waters, the industry watches closely, aware that today’s challenges are shaping tomorrow’s fast-food landscape.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/com...S&cvid=1ac23972e8724d2aa37d075725c3cad5&ei=18

The burger king joints by me are always empty. Kind of crazy. I honestly can't remember the last time I ate at one. Has to be 15+ years.
With ya on that. Never cared for their burgers. I don't like fast food anyways, not going to go to one that I don't like the flavor of.

Reactions: NDallasRuss
I agree - I haven't had a BK or McD burger in over a dozen years. There are too many other/better options like 5 guys that are just a little more expensive, but taste a lot better.

And I've never had Bojangles before.

Reactions: goldmom
I agree - I haven't had a BK or McD burger in over a dozen years. There are too many other/better options like 5 guys that are just a little more expensive, but taste a lot better.

Bojangles isn't much to write home about, IMO. It's like a cheap version of Chick-fla-A.

• Sad

This. If I'm eating a fast food burger, it's either going to be Culver's or Five Guys. Otherwise, it isn't worth the calories and money.

Had Burger King before a basketball game back in the aau days and was throwing up before the game started.
Haven’t had it since then, over 25 years ago.

Burger King closest to us always smelled like body odor from the indoor ball pit.

I thought the Whopper was a good sandwich but I hated their fries with that bullshit fake crispy coating. I also am sure they served a watery ketchup if you dined in.

Can’t remember the last time I ate at one. 2-3 years at least.

• Haha
Reactions: Ree4
Hot take: whoppers with cheese are delicious!
Poop Hippo GIF

That's what those give me. 🤣 Not sure which is worse, BK or White Castle.

I always liked the Whopper and Bacon King from BK. I'd kill a fish sandwich from any FF establishment except maybe LJS

Bojangles isn't much to write home about, IMO. It's like a cheap version of Chick-fla-A.

I would not in a million years compare Bojangles to CFA as they are nothing alike. CFA is a nuggies and finger place comparable to Zaxby’s, Guthrie’s, Raising Canes, Foosackly’s, Slim Chickens, Huey Magoos and PDQ. Bojangles is mainly a whole fried chicken pieces that coincidentally also sells fingers and sandwiches comparable to KFC, Popeyes, Church’s, Gus’ World Famous, Krispy Krunchy, Maryland Fried, Jollibee, Willie’s Chicken Shack and Golden Chick.

As far as their fried chicken, I’d say it’s in the low upper third of fried chicken restaurants. Amongst larger chains I’d put it behind Krispy Krunchy and Popeyes in that order (leaving out Korean Fried chicken chains that I like better like BB.q and Bonchan as well as Hattie B’s Nashville hot chicken that is too different to rank with regular southern fried chicken) but well ahead of KFC, Jollibee and Church’s. I’d have it behind some of the smaller regional chains like Maryland Fried, Gus, Willie’s Chicken Shack and Golden Chick in that order as well as of course the best mom and pop places like Yoder’s in Sarasota, Willie Mae’s Scotch House in New Orleans, Dixie Fried in Clewiston FL, etc… But overall, Bojangles has good not great fried chicken (a little better than Publix fried chicken for good comparison) but to me it’s nothing to get excited over so I seldom get the fried chicken meals from there.

But where Bojangles truly excels is breakfast. Amongst chains both large and regional, it has the best breakfast biscuits behind only Tudor’s Biscuit World and Hardee’s in that order. CFA’s inedible dry biscuits are nowhere even close to the magnificence of Bojangles breakfast biscuits. And the best thing is you can get breakfast at Bojangles anytime even during dinner hours. So my final ranking for Bojangles would be an A+ or 9/10 for breakfast biscuit sandwiches, a solid B or maybe B- and a 6.5 or 7/10 for whole fried chicken and a C or 5/10 for fingers, nuggies and chicken sandwiches mainly because the breading is a little bland and unseasoned compared to others and their sauces suck.

I would not in a million years compare Bojangles to CFA as they are nothing alike. CFA is a nuggies and finger place comparable to Zaxby’s, Guthrie’s, Raising Canes, Foosackly’s, Slim Chickens, Huey Magoos and PDQ. Bojangles is mainly a whole fried chicken pieces that coincidentally also sells fingers and sandwiches comparable to KFC, Popeyes, Church’s, Gus’ World Famous, Krispy Krunchy, Maryland Fried, Jollibee, Willie’s Chicken Shack and Golden Chick.

As far as their fried chicken, I’d say it’s in the low upper third of fried chicken restaurants. Amongst larger chains I’d put it behind Krispy Krunchy and Popeyes in that order (leaving out Korean Fried chicken chains that I like better like BB.q and Bonchan as well as Hattie B’s Nashville hot chicken that is too different to rank with regular southern fried chicken) but well ahead of KFC, Jollibee and Church’s. I’d have it behind some of the smaller regional chains like Maryland Fried, Gus, Willie’s Chicken Shack and Golden Chick in that order as well as of course the best mom and pop places like Yoder’s in Sarasota, Willie Mae’s Scotch House in New Orleans, Dixie Fried in Clewiston FL, etc… But overall, Bojangles has good not great fried chicken (a little better than Publix fried chicken for good comparison) but to me it’s nothing to get excited over so I seldom get the fried chicken meals from there.

But where Bojangles truly excels is breakfast. Amongst chains both large and regional, it has the best breakfast biscuits behind only Tudor’s Biscuit World and Hardee’s in that order. CFA’s inedible dry biscuits are nowhere even close to the magnificence of Bojangles breakfast biscuits. And the best thing is you can get breakfast at Bojangles anytime even during dinner hours. So my final ranking for Bojangles would be an A+ or 9/10 for breakfast biscuit sandwiches, a solid B or maybe B- and a 6.5 or 7/10 for whole fried chicken and a C or 5/10 for fingers, nuggies and chicken sandwiches mainly because the breading is a little bland and unseasoned compared to others and their sauces suck.
All I know is Popeye's bone-in chicken, when fresh, is f*cking delicious.

if you sh*t your pants after eating fast food, i think the issue is with your digestion

and this is coming from someone who hasn't eaten fast food since 2020

All I know is Popeye's bone-in chicken, when fresh, is f*cking delicious.

Yes I agree. It’s not my all time favorite when you factor in the truly amazing mom and pops around America that really take pride in it as it can be hit and miss depending on what min wage employee fried it. BUT, usually it’s a solid 8/10 for me and the spicing pattern on their “spicy” chicken is spot on. It’s definitely my first or second pick amongst the large chains (Krispy Krunchie is up there too) and up there with the best small regional chains.

Reactions: Tenacious E
Yes I agree. It’s not my all time favorite when you factor in the truly amazing mom and pops around America that really take pride in it as it can be hit and miss depending on what min wage employee fried it. BUT, usually it’s a solid 8/10 for me and the spicing pattern on their “spicy” chicken is spot on. It’s definitely my first or second pick amongst the large chains (Krispy Krunchie is up there too) and up there with the best small regional chains.
I don't want to know the chemistry as to how Popeye's chicken gets so crunchy, and stays so crunchy even when in the refrigerator until the next for delicious leftovers. I will just say thank you.

As far as their fried chicken, I’d say it’s in the low upper third of fried chicken restaurants. Amongst larger chains I’d put it behind Krispy Krunchy and Popeyes in that order (leaving out Korean Fried chicken chains that I like better like BB.q and Bonchan as well as Hattie B’s Nashville hot chicken that is too different to rank wit
well-done.gif
h regular southern fried chicken) but well ahead of KFC, Jollibee and Church’s. I’d have it behind some of the smaller regional chains like Maryland Fried, Gus, Willie’s Chicken Shack and Golden Chick in that order as well as of course the best mom and pop places like Yoder’s in Sarasota, Willie Mae’s Scotch House in New Orleans, Dixie Fried in Clewiston FL, etc… But overall, Bojangles has good not great fried chicken (a little better than Publix fried chicken for good comparison) but to me it’s nothing to get excited over so I seldom get the fried chicken meals from there.

I don't want to know the chemistry as to how Popeye's chicken gets so crunchy, and stays so crunchy even when in the refrigerator until the next for delicious leftovers. I will just say thank you.

A combination of using Palm Oil which has a high smoke point letting them set their frying temp higher and using a marinated chicken with a thick egg batter that can be set hard without drying out the meat.

At home I use a different technique in my fried chicken. I use peanut oil that has a similar high fry temp smoke point but use an eggless batter that is a mix of flour, corn starch, baking powder and yam starch similar to Korean fried chicken and do a double fry. The first at a lower temp for a long time to make sure the chicken is cooked through and a second time at a high temp after it’s rested once and the coating has taken in all the juices and softened the batter. The second fry crispens the skin back up by drying out all water/liquid but is at such a high temp it doesn’t penetrate the flesh very deeply and dry it out so its naturally juicy and not marinated juicy.

Tribe - have you had Chicken Express?

It's only TX/OK/AR and I think 1 or 2 in LA. They have the best chicken tenders of any fast food place I've tried. They're really good, and the meals are served with gravy to dip them in. Also, their dinner rolls are really good - soft and sweet.

Anyway, if you haven't tried it, maybe somewhere easy to add to the list if you get the chance.

The BK by us just became too unreliable. Couldn't even be sure if they were open based on whether they were staffed. It got to the point we just took it out of our rotation for fast food options.
This happened to the Taco Bell/KFC combo in the town in VA where I lived. It got to where if you ordered through the drive through, you just automatically drove around to a parking spot, because you knew you'd have to go inside so they could fix what they screwed up. It ended up closing down - not because people didn't want Taco Bell and/or KFC, but because their accuracy rate fell to close to 0%. I'd never seen a Taco Bell close down before.

Tribe - have you had Chicken Express?

It's only TX/OK/AR and I think 1 or 2 in LA. They have the best chicken tenders of any fast food place I've tried. They're really good, and the meals are served with gravy to dip them in. Also, their dinner rolls are really good - soft and sweet.

Anyway, if you haven't tried it, maybe somewhere easy to add to the list if you get the chance.

I haven’t tried it even though I’ve been to that area constantly (for about 10 years my in-laws were in Ft Smith Arkansas on the Oklahoma Border so I would go there at least 2-4x a year but they recently moved back to Florida). But depending on the weather I might be there this weekend. I’m chasing a clear spot to watch the total eclipse next Monday but the weather is currently looking iffy in all of Texas and Arkansas, so we might be going to outside of Memphis or Indianapolis instead.

I haven’t tried it even though I’ve been to that area constantly (for about 10 years my in-laws were in Ft Smith Arkansas on the Oklahoma Border so I would go there at least 2-4x a year but they recently moved back to Florida). But depending on the weather I might be there this weekend. I’m chasing a clear spot to watch the total eclipse next Monday but the weather is currently looking iffy in all of Texas and Arkansas, so we might be going to outside of Memphis or Indianapolis instead.
The kid's in school in Waco. She's going to be in a good spot to watch it - I think Hillsborough is supposed to be the best spot, and that's about 20 minutes from her. I was going to try to head down to see it with her, but the highways are supposed to be packed with people heading to that area to see it. I think I'll just stay here and watch it from the house - maybe not quite as good of a view, but WAY less stress.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
I've always liked the BK Whopper, it must be the flame broiling, it's the only fast food burger that could mimic a burger's taste coming off of a grill at home.

The only time I eat fast food anymore is out of sheer convenience or no other option available to me while traveling. I think the pandemic has hit the industry very hard and couple that with the inflationary costs of labor and other inputs, I think this might just be the tip of the iceberg for the food sector that so many lazy Americans love.

There really isn't much value or bang for the buck anymore in the fast food world. I'd rather pay a bit more and get something closer to homemade food from a mom & pop type of place.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT