ADVERTISEMENT

The Best Cheeseburger in Every State

RicoSuave102954

HR All-American
Jul 17, 2023
Montezuma, Iowa
An American icon in bun form, the cheeseburger beckons in countless variations. But with so many contenders, where do you find the ultimate melty masterpiece?

We've scoured the nation, state by state, to unearth the most popular, well-rated, and downright beloved cheeseburgers out there.

So step up your travel game and get ready to embark on a coast-to-coast burger odyssey.

Iowa: Short’s Burger & Shine
If you want something a bit more upscale, Short’s Burger & Shine offers a gourmet menu alongside craft beers.
Everything is made local with fresh ingredients, including the 18 South Clinton, a simple option with lettuce, tomatoes, and pickles that you can then add a special sauce to for a bit more.
Choose from cheese sauce, blue cheese spread, mango jalapeno, and many others.

I'm gonna have to disagree, while Shorts does make a mean burger it is far from the best in the State of Iowa.

Reactions: Bearhawk0505
Nebraska has Block listed as their top burger. I love block, it's great food. Best Burger? 🤷‍♂️ I donno about that. There are some other really good burger places in the area. It's definitely among the best, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: SA_Hawk
Lua Brewery in Des Moines >>>>> Short's Burger and Shine

The last time I had a burger at Short's, or any of the affiliates (Hudson's/Stella's), it was a total let down. It's just a generic bar food burger with more topping choices.

For the Floridians on this board the best burger I've had in Florida was at Garbo's Grill in Key West. Maybe it tasted so good because I was tired of seafood.

Nebraska has Block listed as their top burger. I love block, it's great food. Best Burger? 🤷‍♂️ I donno about that. There are some other really good burger places in the area. It's definitely among the best, though.
Agreed.

I’ll take Dinkers or Stella’s any day

Reactions: millah_22
Agreed.

I’ll take Dinkers or Stella’s any day
The thing about Block is every time I go there I'm like "I'm going to get this, or I'm going to get that" and then I see the special and It's like "okay, well I guess I'm getting the special."

The thing about Block is every time I go there I'm like "I'm going to get this, or I'm going to get that" and then I see the special and It's like "okay, well I guess I'm getting the special."
I haven’t been in years but everyone I know says their food is great. Maybe I should try a burger.

The most recent burger I had that was great was at Blue Sky on Pacific. Old fashioned smash burger that was very tasty

I think Honest Abe's is up there. Obv Stellas and Dinkers are the 2 heavy hitters in Omaha. But Nite Owl, Charred, Crescent Moon, and Bensen Brewery all compete with really good burgers.
It's been awhile since I have been to Omaha, IIRC there was a place in the Old Market called Billy ----- something or other that had a darn good burger.

Pulp Fiction Burger GIF

Reactions: jellyfish10
I think shorts is ok but there are a lot better burgers around here.

Map Room in Cedar Rapids is better.
Gold Finch in Marion
Hell Big Gove in Solon is better, maybe all three Big Grove's in this area.

Sorry Shorts

Went there last month. It was really good. Nothing seemed to make it very unique though.

Montana: Best Burger (Bozeman)© Joshua Resnick/Adobe
Does its name live up to the hype? Locals think so since Best Burger is noted for its delicious food.
As far as cheeseburgers go, they are made with 100% Angus beef and served freshly made. Also note they have a lineup of breakfast burgers, in case you can’t wait for lunch.

Went there last May. Really, really good.

North Carolina: Hops Burger Bar (Greensboro)© BGStock72/Adobe
Hops Burger Bar is a relaxed burger destination noted for its locally sourced ingredients and local craft brews.
You’ll find lots of interesting options on the menu, like fried crab balls, but the French Dip Burger is one of the juiciest options you’ll find anywhere.

I think shorts is ok but there are a lot better burgers around here.

Map Room in Cedar Rapids is better.
Gold Finch in Marion
Hell Big Gove in Solon is better, maybe all three Big Grove's in this area.

Sorry Shorts
Big grove is not good. Unless your a hippie that wants some weird burger then Sure it’s good.
Not if you are a person that likes hamburgers.

Reactions: RicoSuave102954
Map Room as said earlier has to be up there.

I remember a food truck off the shueyville/swisher exit on 380 that served steamed hamburgers and cheeseburgers... Damm I miss them, they were so good! Apparently, it's a big thing in Connecticut to steam the burgers the way this food truck did.

Wilbo’s in downtown Cedar Falls has the best burger I’ve had in the state of Iowa. Probably that I’ve ever had.

Definitely not the best in the state but I really do like Culver’s burgers too. For price and amount of time it takes to get you can’t go wrong.

I’m simple when it comes to burgers. Lettuce, ketchup, mayo, American cheese. At Wilbo’s I add sautéed onions. So good.

Someone told me the best burger in Iowa was in a dive bar in Ft. Dodge. Anyone know anything about it?

For the Floridians on this board the best burger I've had in Florida was at Garbo's Grill in Key West. Maybe it tasted so good because I was tired of seafood.
Garbo's is fricken awesome.

Korean BBQ tacos....damn! Some of the best stuff I've ever eaten.

Should've hit it a couple times when we were there in May, but there's just so damn many good places in the keys you wanna try them all.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I find Lacheles just ok. And $18 for a cheeseburger, fries, and soda with tip is a tad steep for lunch. I'm not a big fan of smashburgers compared to thicker, but Lua's smashburger is superior imo. Plus you can have their delightful beer.
I live super close to both and think they are both really good but lachele's will always be better in my opinion. I especially love their specials and how creative they get with them! They always seem to give me random discounts since I go so much so maybe I don't think about the price as much either.

I live super close to both and think they are both really good but lachele's will always be better in my opinion. I especially love their specials and how creative they get with them! They always seem to give me random discounts since I go so much so maybe I don't think about the price as much either.
How is the Korean BBQ place down there? I Haven't been yet.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I find Lacheles just ok. And $18 for a cheeseburger, fries, and soda with tip is a tad steep for lunch. I'm not a big fan of smashburgers compared to thicker, but Lua's smashburger is superior imo. Plus you can have their delightful beer.
Agreed, Lua > Lacheles. I was excited tp try Lacheles based on reviews but thought it was so-so. Lua is my favorite burger in Des Moines metro.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT