ADVERTISEMENT

#1 Waukee (and Payton Sandfort) lost to Johnston at Home

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
This is unacceptable!!! No way should the #1 team in the state lose at home!

And Waukee's OFFENSE, with all of those weapons, was terrible. How does that happen with all that D-1 talent???

The entire Waukee coaching staff should step down.

Am I doing this right? ;)

Check this out & watch:

And Waukee's OFFENSE, with all of those weapons, was terrible. How does that happen with all that D-1 talent???

Check this out & watch:

I'm assuming Tucker DeVries is pretty good, and he was out apparently so that didn't help. So Waukee was #1 in Boys and Girls and both got beat by Johnston on the same night? That sounds like they set or tied a record!

I'm assuming Tucker DeVries is pretty good, and he was out apparently so that didn't help. So Waukee was #1 in Boys and Girls and both got beat by Johnston on the same night? That sounds like they set or tied a record!
just speculating, but I wonder if Tucker was out because of covid contract tracing issues. Drake has covid issues & the earliest his father's Drake team will play a game again is Jan 24

just speculating, but I wonder if Tucker was out because of covid contract tracing issues. Drake has covid issues & the earliest his father's Drake team will play a game again is Jan 24
You're either on something or onto something. That's as good a place to start as any.

• Haha
Reactions: Slim45
I'm very unfamiliar with Iowa HS basketball but Waukee also has class of '23 5-star Omaha Biliew and Payton's brother Pryce who is a top 50 player nationally in the 2023 class. In terms of raw talent, where does this Waukee rank historically? We're all pretty excited for Payton but he's going to be the 4th highest ranked recruit on this roster.

Check this out & watch:

You forgot all the players should be stripped of their scholarships. Waukee also needs more brothas on the team.

There ya go. You're welcome.

• Haha
Reactions: just_somebody
You mean those arrogant Waukee fans had to watch their precious little guys lose a game?

Check this out & watch:

National Championship!

Wait......does high school basketball have a national championship?

Well DeVries is by far their best player but still not sure how you lose with 3 other D1 players out there. Especially in Iowa.

You think he is much better than Biliew? I’m not questioning you btw, I’ve never seen them play. Is Devries that good with how highly regarded Biliew is? If so, Drake is getting a good one!

DeVries was always headed in the direction he chose. He's a tweener that might struggle in the Big Ten but might thrive in the Mo Valley. Sandfort's size translates better to the Big Ten.

Payton is much like P McC, lean and athletic, although not as athletic as Patrick. He needs some muscle weight but he should fit right into the workable widgets nature of the Iowa team. More like Keegan speed and quickness, which is obviously quite a bit more than "adequate" for the Big Ten. Think he will fill out and be a decent player after a couple years on campus.

DeVries was always headed in the direction he chose. He's a tweener that might struggle in the Big Ten but might thrive in the Mo Valley. Sandfort's size translates better to the Big Ten.

Payton is much like P McC, lean and athletic, although not as athletic as Patrick. He needs some muscle weight but he should fit right into the workable widgets nature of the Iowa team. More like Keegan speed and quickness, which is obviously quite a bit more than "adequate" for the Big Ten. Think he will fill out and be a decent player after a couple years on campus.
So I’m clear with what you’re suggesting is that you feel pMac is more athletic than Keegan ?

Reactions: TJHall1

I look for Sandfort to get playing time by year 2 at Iowa because he likes to play D physically, he rebounds well for his position, and he will likely space the floor on offense. H is body although lean looks stronger although less bouncy than PMac.

I have a feeling he will find his stroke at the DI level easier than PMac as well. His jumper has nice form. He doesn't have the odd windup PMac does. They are different players and I can see them on the court together and being able to switch defensively.

So I’m clear with what you’re suggesting is that you feel pMac is more athletic than Keegan ?

A little. Patrick runs faster, jumps higher and is quicker. The margin of difference is not great, and as I said, Keegan is far more than merely "adequate" athletically. But if they raced, or high jump/vertical or played some game, like tennis that requires an incredible degree of physical quickness (not speed) I think Patrick would probably win.

That's not a criticism of Keegan in any way. Along with Joe T Keegan and Patrick are the most athletic players to see floor time. Keegan is the most well rounded player of those three.

Check this out & watch:

Almost. You left out:

"Pull that scholarship offer and find out who's on that other team!"

You mean those arrogant Waukee fans had to watch their precious little guys lose a game?
Probably unwise for a Hawk forum poster to diss Waukee. I believe some of those guys are on Iowa's radar. Best foot forward.

A little. Patrick runs faster, jumps higher and is quicker. The margin of difference is not great, and as I said, Keegan is far more than merely "adequate" athletically. But if they raced, or high jump/vertical or played some game, like tennis that requires an incredible degree of physical quickness (not speed) I think Patrick would probably win.

That's not a criticism of Keegan in any way. Along with Joe T Keegan and Patrick are the most athletic players to see floor time. Keegan is the most well rounded player of those three.

Keegan's athleticism has come a long way. PMac can jump quicker and higher and has surprising lateral movement which makes him great at the top of the press or on wing.

That being said, Keegan has had the better season so far. He doesn't hesitate at the rim, he rebounds well and he has just looked smoother. It will be interesting to watch both of them progress the next few years. We are lucky to have both of them.

It's hard to predict what Iowa's main rotations might be a couple years from now, but if Iowa needs a defensive oriented lineup for any stretch then think about Joe T, Keegan, Patrick, and Payton together. Lots of length and athleticism there.

Probably unwise for a Hawk forum poster to diss Waukee. I believe some of those guys are on Iowa's radar. Best foot forward.
Not the 8-12 year olds, I hope.

My experiences have been primarily through Kingdom basketball out of Ankeny. Where the kids look at their dads and don't listen to the coaches.;) There are kids at Kingdom from every school in DM metro. Waukee parents are, far and away, the most obnoxious.

Last edited:
2A #2 and previously undefeated, AHSTW fell last night to 1A, unranked Tri-Center. I just had to post this as last night, my son, got his first start for TC in this game. His first start ever. HS, JH and Youth. 5 points, but his real contribution was on the defensive side. Held Brayden Lund, who just went for 21 earlier in the week vs. Underwood, to 9 points.

Proud Dad moment.

Not sure I’d agree but I like and if Payton is at all similar and you add in Kris, Uhlis, Perkins and Joe T, we’re going to look awfully athletic next year even if we are slowed down by Wheezy, Nunge, Ogundele and CJF

Not the 8-12 year olds, I hope.

My experiences have been primarily through Kingdom basketball out of Ankeny. Where the kids look at their dads and don't listen to the coaches.;) There are kids at Kingdom from every school in DM metro. Waukee parents are, far and away, the most obnoxious.
Coming from you I would suggest that's about the best endorsement a parent from Waukee could get.

I'm sure they think you're a real treat as well.

Reactions: BaldHawk4Life
Coming from you I would suggest that's about the best endorsement a parent from Waukee could get.

I'm sure they think you're a real treat as well.
I can assure you that I'm not the only person that feels that way. My wife kinda keeps a pretty tight leash on me at kids' games.

Oh Deplorable. You always think you’re the smartest guy in the room. DeVries is a 6-5 shooting guard. Top 100 player. He’s not a “tweeter.” And of course he was probably always headed that way. His dad is the coach.

I'm very unfamiliar with Iowa HS basketball but Waukee also has class of '23 5-star Omaha Biliew and Payton's brother Pryce who is a top 50 player nationally in the 2023 class. In terms of raw talent, where does this Waukee rank historically? We're all pretty excited for Payton but he's going to be the 4th highest ranked recruit on this roster.
Omaha and Pryce would be such a huge pull.

Reactions: perryhawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT