ADVERTISEMENT

Rothstein: 10 players (including Payton Sandfort) who will become stars during the 2023-24 college basketball season

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Jon Rothstein is a College Basketball Insider and Anaylst. He has worked for CBS Sports since 2010, has been a contributor to the CBS Broadcast Network since 2016, and is Host of the College Hoops Today Podcast (Fran has been on it several times over the year).

The column:

10 players who will become stars during the 2023-24 college basketball season​

It’s never too early to start looking ahead!

Check below for our list of 10 players who will become stars during the 2023-24 college basketball season.

In no particular order:

Tyrese Proctor, Duke: In five postseason games last March as a freshman, Proctor averaged 10.8 points and 5.4 assists with an assist-to-turnover ratio of 27:5. If he continues to progress, Duke may very well have an All-American on the perimeter to complement Kyle Filipowski up front.

Donovan Clingan, UConn: A volcano just waiting to explode, the 7-3 Clingan gave America a taste of what he’s capable of last season as a freshman when he averaged 6.9 points, 5.6 rebounds, and 1.8 blocks in just 13 minutes. If he continues that production level and doubles his minutes as a sophomore, Clingan’s averages project to be comparable to what Anthony Davis (14.2 points, 10.4 rebounds, 4.7 blocks) averaged as a freshman during the 2011-12 season when Kentucky won the national title.

Adem Bona, UCLA: Would the Bruins have made the Final Four if Bona didn’t re-injure his shoulder against Northwestern in the second round of the NCAA Tournament? There’s a strong chance. In the five games prior to initially injuring his shoulder in the Pac-12 Tournament against Oregon, the 6-9 big man averaged 7.2 points, 7.8 rebounds, and 2.4 blocks. Bona should pick up right where he left off last spring once he returns to game action.

R.J. Davis, North Carolina: Caleb Love’s decision to transfer to Arizona means that Davis should have a bigger piece of the pie in Chapel Hill. Expect him to take full advantage. The 6-foot guard averaged 16.1 points, 5.1 rebounds, and 3.2 assists last season as a sophomore despite taking 88 fewer shots than Love, who took nearly 500 last season. Davis is in position to be an All-American during the 2023-24 season.

Aidan Mahaney, Saint Mary’s: Where does one go as a sophomore after averaging 13.9 points and shooting 40 percent from three-point range as a freshman? Pure stardom. The 6-3 Mahaney is a major reason why many people believe that Saint Mary’s is capable of winning an outright WCC regular season title this season for only the second time under Randy Bennett. This kid is the real deal.

Trey Alexander, Creighton: Alexander never got the attention that he deserved during the past two years because of how good Ryan Nembhard was. With Nembhard now at Gonzaga and no longer in the Bluejays’ program, look for Alexander to blossom. The 6-4 guard averaged 13.6 points and 4.2 rebounds last season and will now get more of an opportunity to be in a facilitating role. Remember: Alexander averaged 16 points and seven assists two years ago as a freshman in two NCAA Tournament games when Nembhard was out of the lineup with a wrist injury.

Erik Reynolds, St. Joe’s: The Hawks are a trendy pick to make a major jump in the Atlantic 10 and a big reason for that is Reynolds. Over the final 10 games of last season, the 6-2 guard averaged 23.6 points while shooting 45 percent from the field, 40.2 percent from three-point range, and 95 percent from the free throw line. This is one of the best players in the sport that doesn’t play in a power conference.

Judah Mintz, Syracuse: Many people expected Mintz to remain in the 2023 NBA Draft after testing the waters, but he opted to return to college for his sophomore year. While he’s already a proven producer after averaging 16.3 points and 4.6 assists as a freshman, Mintz’s star will truly rise if he can lead Syracuse back to national relevance in its first season under Adrian Autry. The Orange are only a combined 33-32 over the past two seasons.

Dylan Disu, Texas: The 6-9 big man averaged 22.5 points and 10 rebounds in the first two rounds of last season’s NCAA Tournament before going out of the lineup with a foot injury. Once he’s fully healthy, Disu is primed to become a primary focal point up front for Texas. This guy is capable of earning All-Big 12 first-team honors in 2023-24.

Payton Sandfort, Iowa: With Kris Murray no longer a part of the Hawkeyes’ program, the 6-7 Sandfort could emerge as Iowa’s go-to scorer. He averaged 10.3 points a year ago as a sophomore and drilled 59 shots from long distance. Don’t be shocked if Sandfort is one of the best wings in the Big Ten this season and averages 14-16 points each time that he takes the floor.

This writer doesn’t realize that this is Patrick McCaffery’s team. If he wants to put up 30 shots a game he will.
I really don't believe this will be the case. He just doesn't seem to be a player that constantly hunting for shots, and less so than Payton. I think the scoring will be spread around on this particular team. There appears to be a lot of shot makers.

I really don't believe this will be the case. He just doesn't seem to be a player that constantly hunting for shots, and less so than Payton. I think the scoring will be spread around on this particular team. There appears to be a lot of shot makers.
You have to go back to the 2010-2011 season to find a year Iowa didn’t have its leading scorer without at least 15 pts per game. There were a few years with only 2 averaging double figures, three was common and four a few times.

I agree with this. This team could have 4 or more guys in double figures (Payton, Krikke, Perkins, and Patrick most likely), and 3-4 others averaging 7-8 pts (Dix, Brauns, Bowen or Harding, and any of the other freshmen). This is a very deep team with no clear star.

I agree with this. This team could have 4 or more guys in double figures (Payton, Krikke, Perkins, and Patrick most likely), and 3-4 others averaging 7-8 pts (Dix, Brauns, Bowen or Harding, and any of the other freshmen). This is a very deep team with no clear star.
I really don't see Brauns as a 7-8 PPG scorer, but agree about the scoring being more spread out than the last few years.

I really don't see Brauns as a 7-8 PPG scorer, but agree about the scoring being more spread out than the last few years.
Maybe right. Brauns might have as many rebounds as points. I was just suggesting what is possible without knowing how many minutes each player will get. This is a year where I hope the rotation is a big one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT