ADVERTISEMENT

#10,000 Pages Dolphins Super Bowl Champs

If you want to know why this team has regressed big time, read this. Yes, it's long but it explains why the veterans have checked out and why no decent assistants wanted to join the Dolphins.

------

Bill Belichick’s disappointing coaching tree

Add Miami Dolphins coach Brian Flores and New York Giants coach Joe Judge to the expanding list of former Bill Belichick disciples who have or are failing as head coaches.

That list previously included Matt Patricia, Eric Mangini, Josh McDaniels, and even Romeo Crennel — all fired after getting their chance to lead a team.

Judge is 7-15 in his second season, including 1-5 this season. Flores is 16-22 without a playoff appearance in his third season, including 1-5 this season.

So, why?

What’s the common problem?

This: All these coaches learned and generally followed the Belichick way in the manner they handled players, set organizational priorities, and dealt with people both inside and outside their organization.

All of them ruled with an iron fist — as in, their way or the highway. All refused to stray from principles they learned under Belichick, even when those were failing. There was, at times, a feeling of paranoia, fear and even repression in locker rooms, according to multiple players.

In short, the Belichick disciples didn’t exactly make coming to work every day a fun experience.

They relied on gameday success to be everyone’s reward. Except none of them enjoyed consistent success on game days, so the formula often failed because there was no payoff for accepting the exhausting work atmosphere.

This approach typically works with young players for a while because they don’t know any better. But it often meets resistance from veterans, which is why all the teams the disciples joined had to jettison so many veteran players.

Another problem is even the young players can turn away from the Belichickian approach after a while.

All of Belichick’s disciples believed it wasn’t good to raise any individual player above the rest.

The problem is all players are different. Some need to feel empowered, and when they aren’t, they can react negatively.

That was the problem with McDaniels in Denver with Jay Cutler. That has at times been the issue in Miami with safety Minkah Fitzpatrick, receiver Kenny Stills, and even sometimes cornerback Xavien Howard.

Belichick could get away with it because Tom Brady, who was clearly the reason the Patriots dominated for two decades, allowed himself to be grouped with everyone else and yelled at more than anyone, even as he was becoming arguably the best player in NFL history.

But not everyone shares Brady’s willingness to be the first in line for blame when things are rough. Also, none of the Belichick disciples enjoyed a Brady type talent on their roster.

They did, however, wear on people. With perhaps Crennel as the lone exception, all the Belichick disciples were hard to work with and for, according to past players and people within their organizations.

And after a while, some players wanted out. Some assistant coaches wanted out. Top assistant coaching talent didn’t want to join in when vacancies happened. It’s not for everyone, folks.

Brady also eventually wanted to exit, although it took two decades. One reason he was able to last so long was the reward — six Super Bowls — was so high.

None of the other Belichick disciples have been able to offer their players such a reward, even as they act like insufferable mini-me Belichicks in other areas.

And so the paranoia, the hard practices, the hard meetings, and long hours with little leeway and little reward take their toll.

“After a while, it’s hard to buy into what a guy’s preaching when what he’s preaching isn’t working,” one former Lions player told OutKick. “You’re like, ‘Whatever man, let us play, let’s go, and see if that works, ’cause your way ain’t working.'”

Reactions: The Tradition
There are so many issues with this organization but the first step for Ross is to fire Grier ASAP. Fire his college scouting folks as well. Absolutely terrible at evaluating talent. They can’t be allowed to provide input on who is on their board for the next draft. It’s embarrassing to see how badly Grier fuked up 2020 draft.

Tua can be a decent QB but if he gets hurt again this season they will have to look at other options. Austin Jackson is a bust at tackle and Iggy won’t be in the roster next year.
As for Flores, he is a well liked person in the Miami media market but he has a really hard time getting assistance and his choices have frankly been poor.

If you want to know why this team has regressed big time, read this. Yes, it's long but it explains why the veterans have checked out and why no decent assistants wanted to join the Dolphins.

------

Bill Belichick’s disappointing coaching tree

Add Miami Dolphins coach Brian Flores and New York Giants coach Joe Judge to the expanding list of former Bill Belichick disciples who have or are failing as head coaches.

That list previously included Matt Patricia, Eric Mangini, Josh McDaniels, and even Romeo Crennel — all fired after getting their chance to lead a team.

Judge is 7-15 in his second season, including 1-5 this season. Flores is 16-22 without a playoff appearance in his third season, including 1-5 this season.

So, why?

What’s the common problem?

This: All these coaches learned and generally followed the Belichick way in the manner they handled players, set organizational priorities, and dealt with people both inside and outside their organization.

All of them ruled with an iron fist — as in, their way or the highway. All refused to stray from principles they learned under Belichick, even when those were failing. There was, at times, a feeling of paranoia, fear and even repression in locker rooms, according to multiple players.

In short, the Belichick disciples didn’t exactly make coming to work every day a fun experience.

They relied on gameday success to be everyone’s reward. Except none of them enjoyed consistent success on game days, so the formula often failed because there was no payoff for accepting the exhausting work atmosphere.

This approach typically works with young players for a while because they don’t know any better. But it often meets resistance from veterans, which is why all the teams the disciples joined had to jettison so many veteran players.

Another problem is even the young players can turn away from the Belichickian approach after a while.

All of Belichick’s disciples believed it wasn’t good to raise any individual player above the rest.

The problem is all players are different. Some need to feel empowered, and when they aren’t, they can react negatively.

That was the problem with McDaniels in Denver with Jay Cutler. That has at times been the issue in Miami with safety Minkah Fitzpatrick, receiver Kenny Stills, and even sometimes cornerback Xavien Howard.

Belichick could get away with it because Tom Brady, who was clearly the reason the Patriots dominated for two decades, allowed himself to be grouped with everyone else and yelled at more than anyone, even as he was becoming arguably the best player in NFL history.

But not everyone shares Brady’s willingness to be the first in line for blame when things are rough. Also, none of the Belichick disciples enjoyed a Brady type talent on their roster.

They did, however, wear on people. With perhaps Crennel as the lone exception, all the Belichick disciples were hard to work with and for, according to past players and people within their organizations.

And after a while, some players wanted out. Some assistant coaches wanted out. Top assistant coaching talent didn’t want to join in when vacancies happened. It’s not for everyone, folks.

Brady also eventually wanted to exit, although it took two decades. One reason he was able to last so long was the reward — six Super Bowls — was so high.

None of the other Belichick disciples have been able to offer their players such a reward, even as they act like insufferable mini-me Belichicks in other areas.

And so the paranoia, the hard practices, the hard meetings, and long hours with little leeway and little reward take their toll.

“After a while, it’s hard to buy into what a guy’s preaching when what he’s preaching isn’t working,” one former Lions player told OutKick. “You’re like, ‘Whatever man, let us play, let’s go, and see if that works, ’cause your way ain’t working.'”

Right on schedule

Trad....you should re-name this thread to "#10,000 Pages Dolphins Super Bowl Champs" or something similar so we can use this as a permanent Dolphins thread.

Reactions: Funky Bunch
This poster over at FinHeaven is well connected and has been a good info source in the past.

"Big changes are coming. This includes players/coaching staff/FO. Some of those changes will be coming sooner rather than later.

However major changes won’t be happening until near the end of the season to the actual end of the season.

Ross has also taken most Grier’s control away which is a sign that Grier will very likely be on his way out.

For the rest of this season any type of trades or signings will be handled by committee by the “football people” as a whole.

There is a crap ton of noise on that board but some decent info can be found if you know whose posts to read. I will add more quotes from the thread as I work my way through it.

Reactions: Funky Bunch
As for Flores, he is a well liked person in the Miami media market ...

How much of a Miami media market still exists? I haven't lived in Miami in 20 years and have followed the Miami media less since moving and even less since Mandich, Neil Rogers and Hank Goldberg went off the air. I went to listen to WQAM on Monday just to hear callers vomit about the Dolphins and UM and I noticed two things. One, they took very few calls and two, of the daytime lineup only Joe Rose and Crowder's shows were locally produced. All the others were syndicated.

This poster over at FinHeaven is well connected and has been a good info source in the past.

"Big changes are coming. This includes players/coaching staff/FO. Some of those changes will be coming sooner rather than later.

However major changes won’t be happening until near the end of the season to the actual end of the season.

Ross has also taken most Grier’s control away which is a sign that Grier will very likely be on his way out.

For the rest of this season any type of trades or signings will be handled by committee by the “football people” as a whole.

There is a crap ton of noise on that board but some decent info can be found if you know whose posts to read. I will add more quotes from the thread as I work my way through it.

Were you there when Incognito's dad was posting there? That was pure gold

Apparently Ross isn't pushing Grier to trade for Watson. This doesn't say he told him not to trade for Watson but reading between the lines, that wouldn't surprise me. If he were smart, he would tell Grier to ride with what he has and make no deals giving away future draft picks.

He does.

I just feel obligated to hop into every NFL 'Woe is us" thread and point out, that yes, in fact, it could be worse.

We're 1-6 with a Bellichck wanna-be for a head coach and a GM who can't draft. I'd almost rather be a Lion's fan because even though they are 0-7, Dan Campbell gets them to show up and fight.

We're 1-6 with a Bellichck wanna-be for a head coach and a GM who can't draft. I'd almost rather be a Lion's fan because even though they are 0-7, Dan Campbell gets them to show up and fight.
Yeah and we'll finish 0-17. Then get up to 8-8 in three years, fire everyonen and start the process again. You at least have hope that it won't always be like this. We don't. It's been 70 years. 1 god damn playoff win. Our last playoff win, Yugoslavia was still a thing.

The Dolphins could have easily won the last two games if some breaks had gone their way.

Next week is the Bills again (they beat us like a rented mule in our own house a couple of weeks ago).

I'm still in shock that the Falcons won Sunday. I can only assume the game was thrown by someone.

Teammates noticing how bad Flores treatment of Tua is...

----------

Brian Flores, Miami Dolphins

Flores lost his sixth straight game Sunday but might have already lost something more important — the locker room.

CBSSports.com shed some additional light on what we’ve long heard is a toxic situation in Miami. Flores’ unapproachability and inflexibility with his players have really taken a toll during this long skid. He’s in danger of losing his grip on the team — if he hasn’t already.

The quarterback drama of the past 18 months — particularly how Flores has treated Tua Tagovailoa, unfairly in the view of some — has eroded trust. And up next? A showdown with the Buffalo Bills, who have won six straight over the Dolphins by an average of 20 points per game.

Grier gave up a 2nd round pick for Rosen who was a 1st round bust for the Cardinals. He played 6 games for the Dolphins.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkRugged17
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT