ADVERTISEMENT

10 years, $95 Million for Mel Tucker. Contract FULLY GUARANTEED

Foolish alumni then. Should be spending millions buying players these days!
It actually would make more sense in my opinion to take the $4 million extra per year and pay out $100k/year to the 40 best guys you can get in the program. 5 star players would do more than a slightly better coach I would think.

Reactions: amahawk
It actually would make more sense in my opinion to take the $4 million extra per year and pay out $100k/year to the 40 best guys you can get in the program. 5 star players would do more than a slightly better coach I would think.
Florida and Texas would beg to differ.

Wow just wow!

th

Gonna look even worse when that defense gets 60 hung on them this weekend. Dead last in the FBS in pass yards allowed TOSU gonna feast

Reactions: kceasthawk
Maybe it's not that different than being the Moon Family Head Coach. That said, I'd have a hard time agreeing to boosters directly donating to salaries if I were an AD.
Agreed, but AD's are tools to be used, and thrown away. You think Saban gives a crap about his stupid AD?

interesting column. MSU had a choice to pay up or he walks?

Might be a bit early to equate Mel Tucker w Nick Saban.

Always amazes me that a guy can be uber successful in a business pursuit...but lose all sense of good judgement when they get involved in sports. They should have waited a few weeks... MSU is likely to lose 1 or 2. Then they could negotiate that package down a bit. Even if they win the next two...it wan't going up. No way they needed to throw that much money at Tucker that early.

Reminds me a bit of long time T Wolves owner Glen Taylor. Incredibly successful businessman... one of the worst sports owners of all time.

Last edited:
Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
Agreed, but AD's are tools to be used, and thrown away. You think Saban gives a crap about his stupid AD?
Don't disagree with your premise about Saban's considerations. I wouldn't be too upset about being used as a tool as alabama's AD is to the tune of 1.7 mil per year.

Don't disagree with your premise about Saban's considerations. I wouldn't be too upset about being used as a tool as alabama's AD is to the tune of 1.7 mil per year.
If you're not already an experienced attorney, or used car salesman then get to work. BTW, Alabama's AD knows nothing about football.

Saban is a legend and on the short list of GOAT college football coaches. He's basically unfireable. Met Tucker is not. And that creates some potential challenges under this arrangement Alabama wouldn't have to deal with.

Might be a bit early to equate Mel Tucker w Nick Saban.

Always amazes me that a guy can be uber successful in a business pursuit...but lose all sense of good judgement when they get involved in sports. They should have waited a few weeks... MSU is likely to lose 1 or 2. Then they could negotiate that package down a bit. Even if they win the next two...it wan't going up. No way they needed to throw that much money at Tucker that early.

Reminds me a bit of long time T Wolves owner Glen Taylor. Incredibly successful businessman... one of the worst sports owners of all time.

I agree. MSU could easily lose their next 3 games (including a bowl game) and his stock would be much lower.

And look at Matt Campbell's stock right now. Do you think any LSU/USC/etc fan wants him after saying that a conference championship was not the goal this year?

And Glen Taylor, from the secret deal with Joe Smith (that cost him several 1st round draft picks), to the GM's and coaches he's hired/fired, good grief, he's been bad.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Odds have shown in about year 5 or 6 they'll regret it. But good for Mel!
Odds are if he can continue to master the transfer portal along with adequate recruiting, he’ll do fine. We would be better if we were more aggressive in the portal for some experienced o-line and another beefy d-lineman. Missed opportunity. Our staff better embrace the portal. It’s going to continue to be a huge piece of the recruiting puzzle.

Reactions: Stormn Norman
I think Kirk is too set in his ways and will only take transfer portal guys if he truly believes they're "Iowa" type guys.
No drama allowed.

Damn didn’t know that about Shaw.

CoachTeamAnnual salary
Nick SabanAlabama$9.753 million
Dabo SwinneyClemson$9.508 million
Mel TuckerMichigan State$9.5 million
Ed OrgeronLSU$9.012 million
David ShawStanford$8.924 million
Lincoln RileyOklahoma$7.672 million
Dan MullenFlorida$7.57 million
Jimbo FisherTexas A&M$7.5 million
Kirby SmartGeorgia$7.133 million
James FranklinPenn State$7 million
Ryan DayOhio State$6.614 million

CoachTeamAnnual salary
Insane.

Reactions: DewHawk

CoachTeamAnnual salary
Try using Annual Compensation vs Annual Salary to get the real story ~ See Below:

Check out Purdue & Indiana.

Reactions: JupiterHawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT