ADVERTISEMENT

10 years, $95 Million for Mel Tucker. Contract FULLY GUARANTEED

It'll be interesting to review this in 2-3 years.
When Iowa makes a change, I hope they hire an assistant coach that does not require breaking the bank. Most of these coaches that recieve these large contracts don't do so well on their new jobs, but Mel Tucker will do well especially in the transfer portal.

Reactions: GhostAppendage
The portal definitely brings a pro flavor to college ball, shouldn't be surprising that compensation might follow suit. tucker is the first guy who has proved he can select off-the-shelf players in massive numbers and deliver results immediately.
knowing how to pick and convince portal players offers the potential of being in the race for championship every year. that's pretty exciting. reduces the need to be a developmental guru. but as more and more teams join the race, whether it will be possible to rent entire teams remains to be seen.

tucker is the first guy who has proved he can select off-the-shelf players in massive numbers and deliver results immediately.
knowing how to pick and convince portal players offers the potential of being in the race for championship every year. that's pretty exciting. reduces the need to be a developmental guru. but as more and more teams join the race, whether it will be possible to rent entire teams remains to be seen.

Tucker has done it precisely once. We'll see if he can reload every year via the portal, or if he is a one hit wonder.

P.S. MSU is last in the country in passing yards allowed. 130th in the country. Right behind Kent State and Duke. Dead last. 329 yards a game. 25 yards a game worse than #129. I hope that $95M gets them some pass defense.

You know who also had one awesome season, with every season the rest of his career below .500? Scott Frost.

Last edited:
What this tells me is that MSU does not want to do the coaching carousel like so many schools. That want "their guy" that is with them for a long time, and they were willing to overpay to get it.

They want to be like Iowa!

Reactions: FlintTown
Tucker has done it precisely once. We'll see if he can reload every year via the portal, or if he is a one hit wonder.

P.S. MSU is last in the country in passing yards allowed. 130th in the country. Right behind Kent State and Duke. Dead last. 329 yards a game. 25 yards a game worse than #129. I hope that $95M gets them some pass defense.

You know who also had one awesome season, with every season the rest of his career below .500? Scott Frost.
Ha you beat me to it. I was just about to make the Frost comparison with one great season as head coach and reaping the rewards. Guess only difference least Tucker did it at the school who is paying him all the $. Nebraska has gotten zilch out of him 4 years and $20 million later. Could you imagine the $ Nebraska would be shelling out to Frost if same scenario played out now instead of 4 years ago?

Reactions: ichawk24
Damn didn’t know that about Shaw.

CoachTeamAnnual salary
Nick SabanAlabama$9.753 million
Dabo SwinneyClemson$9.508 million
Mel TuckerMichigan State$9.5 million
Ed OrgeronLSU$9.012 million
David ShawStanford$8.924 million
Lincoln RileyOklahoma$7.672 million
Dan MullenFlorida$7.57 million
Jimbo FisherTexas A&M$7.5 million
Kirby SmartGeorgia$7.133 million
James FranklinPenn State$7 million
Ryan DayOhio State$6.614 million
Ryan Day is underpaid!At 6.1 million a year.

David Shaw is getting paid nearly twice as much as Kirk to win: 9, 9, 4, 4, 3.

If only Stanford wasn't content with mediocre athletics.

Feels like only yesterday that every journalist fishing for clicks would write about Kirk and his contract.

The landscape sure changed quick.

Gary Barta is really gonna have to suck up to fat cat donors in order to hire Brain Fartz as Iowa‘s next head coach.

David Shaw is getting paid nearly twice as much as Kirk to win: 9, 9, 4, 4, 3.

If only Stanford wasn't content with mediocre athletics.
David Shaw has 2 Rose Bowl WINS in the last decade; Kirk & Hayden have how many Rose Bowl WINS in the last 45 years?

Reactions: chris314
I'm not saying losing at Ohio State is bad, but if OSU puts up a 50-burger the CFP should consider ranking a hopefully 9-2 Iowa team ahead of Sparty.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
I'm not saying losing at Ohio State is bad, but if OSU puts up a 50-burger the CFP should consider ranking a hopefully 9-2 Iowa team ahead of Sparty.

I’m not sure that makes a lot of sense in the CFP, but it does in the AP poll.

Especially if you factor in the comment by #retirebarta about putting aside watching the game.

:rolleyes:

OIP.3w2LTy-N4oN6_W7zE2n8UwHaEK

Double what KF makes.

The 49-year-old Cleveland native is set to become among the highest-paid coaches in the country.

Alumni Mat Ishbia and Steve St. Andre will donate the private funding to the university for Tucker’s raise. Ishbia, a walk-on member of the Spartans’ 2000 national championship basketball team and a 2003 graduate of MSU’s Eli Broad College of Business, is chairman, president and CEO of United Wholesale Mortgage, which went public in January. The 41-year-old also made a $32 million cash donation in February to help construct a new football facility.

It is not clear if Tucker's assistant coaches salary pool - $6 million according to the contract he signed in 2020 — will increase under this new contract.

The deal surpasses the estimated $7 million contract of Penn State’s James Franklin that is the highest salary in the Big Ten in 2021, according to a USA TODAY salary database. Only former MSU coach Nick Saban at Alabama ($9.753 million) is making more this season than Tucker will under his reworked contract, according to the database. LSU's Ed Orgeron is the second-highest-paid coach in college football this year at $9.012 million.

Tucker's $5.632 million in total compensation this season was fourth among Big Ten coaches and 13th nationally, according to USA TODAY.

whoops-my.gif

There have been numerous posts about how bad the B10 West is this year. Surprisingly, two of toughest games OSU has played in the B10 this year have been at Minnesota and at Nebraska.
THANK YOU! I'm so tired of that east vs west BS. Its OSU and everybody else. I'm sorry, but Wisconsin and yes Iowa can play with anybody in the east, EXCEPT OSU, lust like everybody in the east division.....

Iowa 9-2: Fire the Ferentzes!!!
MSU 9-2: Let's make him the 3rd highest paid coach in the sport.

• Haha
Reactions: BBHawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT