ADVERTISEMENT

10 years ago Lyric Cook and Elizabeth Collins disappeared.

lucas80

HB King
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2008
Pretty sad anniversary. I know that other kids have gone missing, but this had a lot of news coverage, and seemed more real because I had one daughter the same age at the time. I remember posting at the time how I thought someone would be caught, and in the months afterwards how clearly this wasn't a stranger abduction, and that someone connected to one of the families must know something. 5 years later.
http://www.kcrg.com/content/news/Fi...ing-Black-Hawk-County-cousins--434172093.html

Last edited:
Could have been a stranger, also could have easily been connected to the one set of parents that had a very iffy past.

I think both parents of one child are now serving very lengthy prison sentences.

Unless we get a confession I doubt the truth comes out. Makes me think it was one person because sooner or later if it was two people one would rat the other out to dodge another crime.

Just awful.

For some reason I thought the cops or the media tried to tie their murder with the kidnapping of the two girls in Badger, IA. The guy kidnapped two, one freed herself, he killed the other and then himself.

That would be my worst nightmare as a parent. I saw an interview of Elizabeth's father and it's clear that it has destroyed him. I wouldn't wish that kind of pain on my worst enemy.

Right there with you birch. I have a 16 month old girl and cannot imagine life without her.

That would be my worst nightmare as a parent. I saw an interview of Elizabeth's father and it's clear that it has destroyed him. I wouldn't wish that kind of pain on my worst enemy.

I know Drew. He's a good dude and works in a similar industry as I do. I believe he and his wife are getting a divorce which just makes things worse. Most here think it was meth related.

I get sick to the stomach if I allow myself to even contemplate for a second the idea of one of my kids disappearing. It would destroy me and I doubt I could function properly ever again.

I have three kids and I cannot imagine the pain. I know I would probably have ulcers the rest of my shortened life and can't imagine going to work everyday.

I could easily see it destroying even the strongest of marriages and I think I would be luck if I could even hold a job as a truck driver.

I am anti death penalty but people that kill kids should be executed.

Reactions: WhiteSoxClone

Couldn't imagine. I hate the 30 second panic feeling when I lose them in a crowded area. I'd drink myself to death, I'm pretty sure of it.

One thing, I will say is that I'd want them found dead or alive. I would need some closure regardless of how devastating the news would be.

I know Drew. He's a good dude and works in a similar industry as I do. I believe he and his wife are getting a divorce which just makes things worse. Most here think it was meth related.

my husband and I both think it was one of the parents in prison's meth associates that killed the girls.

I hated hearing the other parents were getting divorced. I think people mourn differently and a shocking loss like this breaks people down. It either brings parents together or tears them apart. My heart goes out to him. I think the fact that he's out of bed and dressed in order to be interviewed speaks to the strength of his character. Awful.

my husband and I both think it was one of the parents in prison's meth associates that killed the girls.

I hated hearing the other parents were getting divorced. I think people mourn differently and a shocking loss like this breaks people down. It either brings parents together or tears them apart. My heart goes out to him. I think the fact that he's out of bed and dressed in order to be interviewed speaks to the strength of his character. Awful.

I really can't share more in a public forum but yes, people do grieve differently.

Misty's bf was a cook (not food) and she was seen out partying right after the girls disappeared. Both had ties to the meth industry. Having talked to some people around the situation I have a hard time believing it was random.

For some reason I thought the cops or the media tried to tie their murder with the kidnapping of the two girls in Badger, IA. The guy kidnapped two, one freed herself, he killed the other and then himself.
I believe it was Dayton. They looked into it but no solid evidence ever connected the two cases.

Investigators remain on the case, however, after 10 years I don't see much hope in a resolution. They talk about technological advances, and ongoing efforts to gain information, but I think I speak for most of HROT when I say that this case is solved when / if someone confesses, or someone very close to the killers comes forward.
Thread title updated.
https://www.kcrg.com/2022/06/16/ten...-missing-investigators-continue-receive-tips/

My guess is that the killer is smiling to himself when he reads all the speculation about a meth connection. My gut tells me the killer had a fetish for young girls and when he saw them he knew he had to have them, and he also knew he could easily use one technique or another that kids, even smart ones, are known to fall for and he grabbed them both. He the took them to a location that he knew he would be alone with them. After a period of time he became bored with them, they became troublesome, or he was somehow spooked, and he murdered them and dumped the bodies.

I suspect the police have at least some kind of idea who the killer is, but do not have the goods on him. I further speculate the cops have made contact with this killer, but he has not been arrested yet.

My guess is that the killer is smiling to himself when he reads all the speculation about a meth connection. My gut tells me the killer had a fetish for young girls and when he saw them he knew he had to have them, and he also knew he could easily use one technique or another that kids, even smart ones, are known to fall for and he grabbed them both. He the took them to a location that he knew he would be alone with them. After a period of time he became bored with them, they became troublesome, or he was somehow spooked, and he murdered them and dumped the bodies.

I suspect the police have at least some kind of idea who the killer is, but do not have the goods on him. I further speculate the cops have made contact with this killer, but he has not been arrested yet.
I go back and forth on this. There has been so much speculation about connections to drug dealers in one of the families. That's convenient, but would they stay silent? And, it's more likely to threaten to kill a child if you are trying to keep someone quiet than to actually do it.
In the end it seems more and more like the simple answer is the correct one. A pedo was in the area, had probably scouted the area, and committed the crime when the opportunity came riding along on their bicycles.

I remember following that case and search... such a heartbreaking tale. Wasnt there speculation that a traveling insurance inspector was behind it? Maybe I am misremembering things.

I go back and forth on this. There has been so much speculation about connections to drug dealers in one of the families. That's convenient, but would they stay silent? And, it's more likely to threaten to kill a child if you are trying to keep someone quiet than to actually do it.
In the end it seems more and more like the simple answer is the correct one. A pedo was in the area, had probably scouted the area, and committed the crime when the opportunity came riding along on their bicycles.
Actually, the likeliest, most simple answer is that someone within, or close to one of the families, is responsible—not some random pedo.

Places like Blackhawk country don’t likely have murderous pedophiles who kill once, manage to keep the bodies from being found, and never do it again.

Reactions: Fan In Black
Has anyone seen the documentary? I haven’t lived in Iowa for 40 years and am not familiar with the case but would be interested in watching the doc if it is good.

Weird, I do too. I also think of the innocent young lady that was mysteriously shot while driving at night on the highway too.
I have posted this many times before, but I have a hard time believing that Makayla’s shooting was random. I have run, biked, or driven that area thousands of times. The physics make no sense to me.

In addition, knowing people close to the Collins family, I still think it was meth related.

Last edited:
Drawing a blank.
Who were the 2 girls found by the hunter in the wooded area couple yrs ago?

Did the rumor get squashed that these two kid’s in Evansdale was connected to the guy who kidnapped a couple kids near Ft Dodge, one of which he killed and the other kid got away?

If I remember right, the guy in Ft. Dodge committed suicide..

I have posted this many times before, but I have a hard time believing that Makayla’s shooting was random. I have run, biked, or driven that area thousands of times. The physics make no sense to me.

I am not even 100% sure where exactly this happened, though I am aware of the area in general terms, so take my comments as FWIW material.

But could it not have simply been someone discharging a firearm recklessly that ended up as a "magic" bullet? Therefore..."random". Or do you think that someone purposed to shoot the vehicle, damn the consequences? I don't think anything came to light that indicated that she was targeted in any way...that's part of why I find it so haunting, personally.

I really can't share more in a public forum but yes, people do grieve differently.

Misty's bf was a cook (not food) and she was seen out partying right after the girls disappeared. Both had ties to the meth industry. Having talked to some people around the situation I have a hard time believing it was random.
Can you share more now?

Can you share more now?
I’m sorry I can’t just bc Idk who peruses this board. I don’t think it was random simply because of the involvement in the meth industry and some allegations about debt not being repaid. Seems like a pretty stiff price but if you have been around the meth world, rules go out the window.

I am not even 100% sure where exactly this happened, though I am aware of the area in general terms, so take my comments as FWIW material.

But could it not have simply been someone discharging a firearm recklessly that ended up as a "magic" bullet? Therefore..."random". Or do you think that someone purposed to shoot the vehicle, damn the consequences? I don't think anything came to light that indicated that she was targeted in any way...that's part of why I find it so haunting, personally.
Right before the Greenhill exit heading south on 218 by Brinker/Cedar River area.

I’m not a gun person, but a shot fired from the ground would have to have cleared the bridge wall and dropped quickly to hit Makayla and Adam. Is that possible? I suppose. However that seems highly unlikely. There were some rumors of a guy harassing some of the girls at Mulligans. That seems more plausible to me but virtually nothing has been released…in either case. Ftr, I have been a regular at Mulligan’s since its inception. Men harassing attractive young women is hardly a new phenomenon.

I’m sorry I can’t just bc Idk who peruses this board. I don’t think it was random simply because of the involvement in the meth industry and some allegations about debt not being repaid. Seems like a pretty stiff price but if you have been around the meth world, rules go out the window.
I’m from the area originally and that is the prevailing rumor whenever it is brought up. One can go down a Reddit rabbit hole with theories on this as well.

Hopefully more information comes to light once this doc drops.

Reactions: jellyfish10
Binge watched the doc today. It’s a tough watch. The doc guy has interviews from the past up to “today” with the parents/relatives.

Spoiler
Leaves open ended with a lean toward Klunder (the Dayton,IA double abduction/1 murder suicide guy)
Obviously with a doc the maker can lean in a direction which is toward Klundet. However the authorities need to keep key information undisclosed and the reason for crossing klunder off as a suspect is vague.
Per the doc the police cross Klunder off because he was at home or at work during the abduction/murders in E’dale. That doesn’t sound like a solid alibi.

It’s worth watching but it’s painful seeing the families recount/relive the tragedy.

Reactions: McLovin32
Binge watched the doc today. It’s a tough watch. The doc guy has interviews from the past up to “today” with the parents/relatives.

Spoiler
Leaves open ended with a lean toward Klunder (the Dayton,IA double abduction/1 murder suicide guy)
Obviously with a doc the maker can lean in a direction which is toward Klundet. However the authorities need to keep key information undisclosed and the reason for crossing klunder off as a suspect is vague.
Per the doc the police cross Klunder off because he was at home or at work during the abduction/murders in E’dale. That doesn’t sound like a solid alibi.

It’s worth watching but it’s painful seeing the families recount/relive the tragedy.
Agree with everything you said. We just watched it all over the last couple nights.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT