ADVERTISEMENT

104 killed in Gaza City, officials say; Israel cites stampede at aid drop

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Officials in the Gaza Strip said more than 100 people were killed and hundreds more injured in Gaza City on Thursday, accusing Israeli forces of opening fire on a crowd of people waiting for humanitarian aid. Israel said an unspecified number of the casualties were caused by a stampede as residents scrambled to reach a convoy of trucks. Israeli forces opened fire on members of the crowd who approached soldiers in a manner deemed threatening, according to Israeli officials, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss an ongoing investigation.

Key updates

Skip to end of carousel

Here's what to know​

At least 30,035 people have been killed in Gaza and 70,457 injured since the war began, according to the Gaza Health Ministry, which does not distinguish between civilians and combatants. Israel estimates that about 1,200 people were killed in Hamas’s Oct. 7 attack and says 242 soldiers have been killed since the start of its military operation in Gaza.
Gaza is on the brink of famine, humanitarian groups say, as the volume of aid has plummeted in recent weeks and as convoys have struggled to make deliveries amid intense bombardment and disruption at border cross

I know, it's funny those people trying to get aid died.
  • The German Board of Public Health in December 1918 claimed that 763,000 German civilians died from starvation and disease caused by the blockade through December 1918.
Ain’t war hell?

Reactions: ICHerky
  • The German Board of Public Health in December 1918 claimed that 763,000 German civilians died from starvation and disease caused by the blockade through December 1918.
Ain’t war hell?
Interesting take from someone who spends most their time here decrying conflicts. What makes this one different?

• Haha
Reactions: Here_4_a_Day
Interesting take from someone who spends most their time here decrying conflicts. What makes this one different?
I decry our senseless involvement (and too often instigation!) of overseas conflicts.

I operate under no illusions about what war is.

Neocons like Hillary can create buzzwords like “smart power” to feel better about their advancement of policies that kill hundreds of thousands of real people, and some people buy into it. “She has so much experience!” But in my eyes that ‘experience’ is only in bringing misery to millions. Iraq, Syria, Libya, Yemen, etc., her and her ilk (from Bolton to Kagan to Kristol to Nuland and on and on…) just make the world worse.

That having been said, I wouldn’t involve the US in Bibi’s Injun War at all.

But I do view it as a war, and know that civilians will suffer until it ends.

Reactions: ICHerky
I’ll speculate Hamas operatives in civilian garb were more than likely intending to confiscate the aid for their soldiers and not necessarily for women & children. It’s sad, but that’s the type of shit Hamas makes the teenage boys do.
speculate all you want, the videos are there to watch.

Reactions: cigaretteman
speculate all you want, the videos are there to watch.
It’s absolutely terrible, but the other side of this is a potential Abbey Gate situation.

There aren’t good answers for a lot of these situations.

I know, it's funny those people trying to get aid died.
That was not what I was LoL’ing at.

I was LOL’ing at the oft-stated (e.g. see current AOC thread and protesters there in) claim that “30,000 Palestinians have died” in the war, when the source of that number does not track civilians versus combatants.

They may all be Palestinians, but many/most may be combatants, not innocents.

I decry our senseless involvement (and too often instigation!) of overseas conflicts.

I operate under no illusions about what war is.

Neocons like Hillary can create buzzwords like “smart power” to feel better about their advancement of policies that kill hundreds of thousands of real people, and some people buy into it. “She has so much experience!” But in my eyes that ‘experience’ is only in bringing misery to millions. Iraq, Syria, Libya, Yemen, etc., her and her ilk (from Bolton to Kagan to Kristol to Nuland and on and on…) just make the world worse.

That having been said, I wouldn’t involve the US in Bibi’s Injun War at all.

But I do view it as a war, and know that civilians will suffer until it ends.
Just to clarify, you'd cut Israel off completely?

• Haha
Reactions: Here_4_a_Day
Officials in the Gaza Strip said more than 100 people were killed and hundreds more injured in Gaza City on Thursday, accusing Israeli forces of opening fire on a crowd of people waiting for humanitarian aid. Israel said an unspecified number of the casualties were caused by a stampede as residents scrambled to reach a convoy of trucks. Israeli forces opened fire on members of the crowd who approached soldiers in a manner deemed threatening, according to Israeli officials, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss an ongoing investigation.

Key updates
Skip to end of carousel

Here's what to know​

At least 30,035 people have been killed in Gaza and 70,457 injured since the war began, according to the Gaza Health Ministry, which does not distinguish between civilians and combatants. Israel estimates that about 1,200 people were killed in Hamas’s Oct. 7 attack and says 242 soldiers have been killed since the start of its military operation in Gaza.
Gaza is on the brink of famine, humanitarian groups say, as the volume of aid has plummeted in recent weeks and as convoys have struggled to make deliveries amid intense bombardment and disruption at border cross

Israel is like a comic book character on things like this. Or maybe like Putin.

We didn't do it.
OK, maybe we did it but it wasn't our fault.
OK, maybe it was our fault, but we had no choice.
OK, maybe we had a choice, but you can't trust their numbers.
OK, maybe their numbers aren't so far off, but they started it.
OK, maybe we started it way back when, but they started it this time.
OK, OK, our bad, but they would do worse to us if we didn't do it to them first, so it was self defense.

Which is not to say they aren't sometimes right on some of those claims, but they are so damn predictable that you are a fool if you take them at face value.

Last edited:
Just to clarify, you'd cut Israel off completely?
Yes.
I’d cut off aid to all foreign nations.
There’s nothing special to me about Israel.
I’m not a religious person, so I have none of the Abrahamic attachments to the region.
Ordinarily I'd oppose cutting off aid to Israel, but I suspect my own and our nation's stance need serious reappraisal. Several reasons....

1. Their government has gotten progressively more right wing and theocratic in recent decades.
2. Do they really need our $3-4 billion per year?
3. They've been known to engage in both military and cyber activities that haven't been in our best interests.
4. They are behind powerful, successful lobbying in the US to the point that most congressmen and media are afraid to be critical, and any sort of opposition or even questioning of Israel can get you called "anti-semetic" or even fired.
5. They are in violation of some UN resolutions, and multiple international accords and standards. And that's not just my opinion or based on what's happening right now; it's BAU.

I'm part of the "Exodus" generation. Which is to say that my view of Israel was set in stone by that terrific 1960 movie when I was young. And my strong support for Israel never wavered until the 1990s, when the butcher Sharon made most decent people quite uncomfortable.

Netanyahu is arguably the worst PM of Israel ever, but while his main contenders may be less corrupt, they scarcely differ from him on policies.

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
Yes.
I’d cut off aid to all foreign nations.
There’s nothing special to me about Israel.
I’m not a religious person, so I have none of the Abrahamic attachments to the region.
I wouldn't cut off aid to ALL foreign nations. Might even give more to some. But what we give, to whom, and for what definitely needs assessment and auditing.

Are we really doing good with that money - whether for them, us or the world? I have serious doubts.

Ordinarily I'd oppose cutting off aid to Israel, but I suspect my own and our nation's stance need serious reappraisal. Several reasons....

1. Their government has gotten progressively more right wing and theocratic in recent decades.
2. Do they really need our $3-4 billion per year?
3. They've been known to engage in both military and cyber activities that haven't been in our best interests.
4. They are behind powerful, successful lobbying in the US to the point that most congressmen and media are afraid to be critical, and any sort of opposition or even questioning of Israel can get you called "anti-semetic" or even fired.
5. They are in violation of some UN resolutions, and multiple international accords and standards. And that's not just my opinion or based on what's happening right now; it's BAU.

I'm part of the "Exodus" generation. Which is to say that my view of Israel was set in stone by that terrific 1960 movie when I was young. And my strong support for Israel never wavered until the 1990s, when the butcher Sharon made most decent people quite uncomfortable.

Netanyahu is arguably the worst PM of Israel ever, but while his main contenders may be less corrupt, they scarcely differ from him on policies.

This

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT