ADVERTISEMENT

15 fans hospitalized following the Dolphins/Chiefs game, "dozens" treated for hypothermia....

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
Saturday night's Super Wild Card game between the Miami Dolphins and Kansas City Chiefs was the coldest in Arrowhead Stadium history, and that weather caused serious health issues for some attendees. Hypothermia and frostbite became problems for fans as the wind chill dipped to -30 F.

According to a report from FOX4 in Kansas City, the Kansas City Fire Department said emergency responders received "dozens" of calls relating to hypothermia and frostbite. There were a total of 70 calls to first responders, and about half of those were due to health issues caused by the dangerously cold temperatures. There wound up being 15 people taken to the hospital. Seven of them getting treatment for hypothermia and three more of them had frostbite.

KCFD EMS Division Chief Nathan Hopper shared a key warning sign of severe hypothermia with FOX4. Hopper said that shivering is a natural response to keeping the body warm in cold temperatures, and if that goes away, hypothermia has reached a highly dangerous level.

"Shivering is how the body stays warm. Without shivering you don't begin to generate heat anymore and at that point, if someone doesn't come to help you, it becomes a fatal condition," Hopper said.

• Love
Reactions: Here_4_a_Day
I'm not sure I can underestimate how little the NFL cares about 70 fans. Or 700. Or 7,000. Or 70,000.

If they could net one additional dollar, they'd personally shove those fans into the icey (checks map) Missouri River.
I mean you’re probably not wrong but they did suspend the bills game so they care a “little bit”

I mean you’re probably not wrong but they did suspend the bills game so they care a “little bit”
It was said in another post, but I think it was more about the weather a) preventing everyone from getting to the game, and b) impacting visibility enough that it was going to make their broadcast look bad on TV.

Reactions: Mountain Man Hawk
Saturday night's Super Wild Card game between the Miami Dolphins and Kansas City Chiefs was the coldest in Arrowhead Stadium history, and that weather caused serious health issues for some attendees. Hypothermia and frostbite became problems for fans as the wind chill dipped to -30 F.

According to a report from FOX4 in Kansas City, the Kansas City Fire Department said emergency responders received "dozens" of calls relating to hypothermia and frostbite. There were a total of 70 calls to first responders, and about half of those were due to health issues caused by the dangerously cold temperatures. There wound up being 15 people taken to the hospital. Seven of them getting treatment for hypothermia and three more of them had frostbite.

KCFD EMS Division Chief Nathan Hopper shared a key warning sign of severe hypothermia with FOX4. Hopper said that shivering is a natural response to keeping the body warm in cold temperatures, and if that goes away, hypothermia has reached a highly dangerous level.

"Shivering is how the body stays warm. Without shivering you don't begin to generate heat anymore and at that point, if someone doesn't come to help you, it becomes a fatal condition," Hopper said.

Probably pussy 'Noel fans who came the shiver with the other pussies from FL.

I'm not sure I can underestimate how little the NFL cares about 70 fans. Or 700. Or 7,000. Or 70,000.

If they could net one additional dollar, they'd personally shove those fans into the icey (checks map) Missouri River.

I wish the NFL would move the September Jags games to 4pm from 1pm because this stuff happens every year.

Reactions: NDallasRuss
I do have to say I can’t imagine a situation where I would attend an Iowa game in similar circumstances anymore.

Sell/give my tickets away and park my rear on my couch. It’s not worth it.

Reactions: Hwkfn1
The governor didn't give them a choice. The NFL didn't postpone it. And it probably would have been safer to play in Buffalo because it wasn't as cold (or was it? I don't know what the temperature was there). Of course, the game would have been completely unplayable, but it probably would have been safer for fans.

If you got frostbite, it is your own fault. Layers. Than Carhart bibs over them. There is a way to do this people.

Coldest game i have been to was a sunday night game the week before christmas in 2005 in chicago.

I believe the game time temps was 12° with wind chill at -3. Luckily the people tailgating next to us had a fire pit going

I had a thermal shirt, another long sleeve shirt, a hoodie and my jacket. Had thermal pants under my jeans. It took a few days for the chill to leave my bones.

Me and my friend i went with always joke that we would probably never bring this game up all these years later had it not been for how cold it was. It was not fun

Reactions: earn8981
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT