ADVERTISEMENT

Taylor Swift named Time magazine’s person of the year

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Not a great choice in my opinion:

Looks like Taylor Swift is now in her “person of the year” era.
Time magazine announced Swift as 2023’s person of the year on Wednesday, granting her the distinction over a shortlist of candidates including Barbie, King Charles III and Vladimir Putin. Last year, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky won the honor.

“Taylor Swift found a way to transcend borders and be a source of light,” wrote Time’s editor in chief, Sam Jacobs. “Swift is the rare person who is both the writer and hero of her own story.”
Skip to end of carousel

The Style section​

Style is where The Washington Post covers happenings on the front lines of culture and what it all means, including the arts, media, social trends, politics and yes, fashion, all told with personality and deep reporting. For more Style stories, click here.

End of carousel
The award caps what’s been a commercially successful year for Swift, who dominated the concert scene with “The Eras Tour” and in October released a concert film based on the tour. The tour turned tragic in mid-November, when sweltering temperatures at a show in Brazil led to hundreds of reported medical incidents and the death of a fan.

ADVERTISING

Swift also dominated the Billboard charts with songs from her 2022 album “Midnights” and from previous albums. Her song “Cruel Summer” from the 2019 album “Lover” topped the Billboard Hot 100 four years after it was released. Swift also released rerecorded versions of her albums “Speak Now” and “1989” with additional tracks.

She also split from longtime partner Joe Alwyn in the spring, and faced backlash from fans over a rumored relationship with controversial singer Matt Healy.​

Time’s cover story — based on an interview with Swift — is packed with nuggets about Swift’s life from the past year, including details of how she started dating Travis Kelce of the Kansas City Chiefs. Swift also spilled some tea about her upcoming rerecording of the 2017 “Reputation” album, as well as her mind-set during a public feud with Kanye West and Kim Kardashian in the mid-2010s.

• Haha
Reactions: NoWokeBloke
Disagree, Ciggy.

Print media is dying and Time is pretty savvy. There are 3 different versions of the cover that can be purchased for $30. I’ve already talked to two work colleagues who will easily snap up that offer.

Swift transcends the arts, entertainment, style, politics, and pop culture. She was a very big deal in 2023.

I will just say this. Relative to Putin (evil guy who is even less relevant this year than last), Barbie (a fictional character), and King Charles III (born on home plate, in the most home-platish sense of the phrase), Taylor Swift would seem to be something of a shoo-in to me.

Old guy rant: sad that either humanity, or journalism, is apparently such that this is the best we can apparently do.

Not a great choice in my opinion:
boo-this.gif

Reactions: InsaneHawkJJP
I swear I have to do everything around here.

This ain’t Nam. There are rules.

Thank you Walter.

I have to say, while I am generally extremely reluctant to begrudge anyone their genuine expression of affection for another, there is just something that tells me that maybe Taylor didn't make some strange and unique exception where attendance at Chiefs games would be the one thing that she would not subject to ruthless calculation and stagecraft.

Reactions: St. Louis Hawk
I will just say this. Relative to Putin (evil guy who is even less relevant this year than last), Barbie (a fictional character), and King Charles III (born on home plate, in the most home-platish sense of the phrase), Taylor Swift would seem to be something of a shoo-in to me.

Old guy rant: sad that either humanity, or journalism, is apparently such that this is the best we can apparently do.

Meh I feel like person of the year is mostly just the person who makes the most news or stands out in that year.

The Ukraine war has sort of drug on so it's not big news anymore. So Zelenesky and Putin are out. Who else is left that really stood out this year more than other years? Swift had a highly successful tour and is dating someone new and the media and fans are in love with their relationship.

She's stayed in the news pretty much the whole year.

And honestly person of the year is just some award for people who make news, it doesn't even take a moral stance. Hitler was person of the year once.

I'm more worried that the best we can do for president is 2 old guys one of whom is occasionally lucid and the other one hasn't been lucid in a decade.

Meh I feel like person of the year is mostly just the person who makes the most news or stands out in that year.

The Ukraine war has sort of drug on so it's not big news anymore. So Zelenesky and Putin are out. Who else is left that really stood out this year more than other years? Swift had a highly successful tour and is dating someone new and the media and fans are in love with their relationship.

She's stayed in the news pretty much the whole year.

And honestly person of the year is just some award for people who make news, it doesn't even take a moral stance. Hitler was person of the year once.

I'm more worried that the best we can do for president is 2 old guys one of whom is occasionally lucid and the other one hasn't been lucid in a decade.
Of course, and add to the fact that Swift's ability to consistently develop, build, and maintain her empire is pretty damn impressive, regardless of what you think of the "cultural phenomenon" or her music.

On the 'cultural phenomenon' front, my niece is a local TV reporter who recently took her second job in Cincinnati. She got assigned to do a story about people lining up for merchandise before Swift's concert there. Ended up interviewing a person in disguise in line so their boss wouldn't find out they were ditching work, and the story went a little viral notwithstanding its inanity. The moral of the story is that Swift's pull-through economic power is absolutely immense right now.

Of course, and add to the fact that Swift's ability to consistently develop, build, and maintain her empire is pretty damn impressive, regardless of what you think of the "cultural phenomenon" or her music.

On the 'cultural phenomenon' front, my niece is a local TV reporter who recently took her second job in Cincinnati. She got assigned to do a story about people lining up for merchandise before Swift's concert there. Ended up interviewing a person in disguise in line so their boss wouldn't find out they were ditching work, and the story went a little viral notwithstanding its inanity. The moral of the story is that Swift's pull-through economic power is absolutely immense right now.

I didn't fully realize it I think until she made Kelce's podcast number 1 by simply dating him and made Chief's games the most watched games on TV simply by showing up to watch it.

I knew she was a popular singer, I underestimated HOW popular she was.

I didn't fully realize it I think until she made Kelce's podcast number 1 by simply dating him and made Chief's games the most watched games on TV simply by showing up to watch it.

I knew she was a popular singer, I underestimated HOW popular she was.
exactly (though I have to say there's something that seems vaguely unhealthy about that from a societal perspective)
But if it were me, I'd probably buy the "MAAUTO" jersey before tuning into the podcast.

First entertainer billionaire in history and actually walked the walk in sharing her wealth with her employees including 6 figure bonuses to her truck drivers. Good for her.

Every year, Time chooses the person who they think has had the most effect on the things that have happened in that year (whether those things were good or bad).

If you look at media coverage and economic and pop culture impact, I'd be hard pressed to find someone more fitting.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT