ADVERTISEMENT

15 Reasons Why The Tesla Model Y Will Fail

Dec 31, 2014

R.0042886bd10d8040e8f84bcbf4e3cbe7

Reactions: ClarindaA's
How soon should the prediction have been considered a bust?
I think the cyber truck is officially a bust. Already reports of them rusting and owners figuring out they have to dry them off if they get wet, and the batteries don’t have near the mileage they reported and they also have to take the special hubcaps off because they’re ruining the tires and those run at $500 a piece.

That sort of subjective opinion comes in pretty weak against the sales volume.
No doubt it’s your opinion, but I’m not sure it has much predictive value.
It’s not: the cheapest, the best handling, the quickest, or the one with the most cargo room…you get the idea. Are those subjective? It looking like a bloated model 3 is certainly subjective.

All of Tesla’s other offerings are just more appealing (from a performance/use case standpoint) and that includes the horrendous looking cybertruck.

I am sure the “mid-size SUVs” for all other brands have great sales volumes too…doesn’t make it the best of their respective brand. They all hit the sweet spot for not being a sedan and not being full-size pricey. Performance wise, they are all pretty bland.

If you could choose any Tesla to own, would you pick the model Y?

Last edited:
It’s not: the cheapest, the best handling, the quickest, or the one with the most cargo room…you get the idea. Are those subjective? It looking like a bloated model 3 is certainly subjective.

All of Tesla’s other offerings are just more appealing (from a performance/use case standpoint) and that includes the horrendous looking cybertruck.

I responded to "least attractive", which is about as subjective as one can get.
Rattling off objective measures like "cargo room" is changing the goal posts for baseball gloves.

I am sure the “mid-size SUVs” for all other brands have great sales volumes too…doesn’t make it the best of their respective brand. They all hit the sweet spot for not being a sedan and not being full-size pricey. Performance wise, they are all pretty bland.

OP's tweet literally said "best-selling."

Can you see how someone might disagree the most chosen is not the least attractive, objectively? Measured in sales.
We all have opinions on how these things look, and how much that matters versus the leg room, but isn't the marketplace the combination, competition and culmination of those opinions by everyone with a vote that matters (ie money they'll put where their mouth is?)

I responded to "least attractive", which is about as subjective as one can get.
Rattling off objective measures like "cargo room" is changing the goal posts for baseball gloves.

OP's tweet literally said "best-selling."

Can you see how someone might disagree the most chosen is not the least attractive, objectively? Measured in sales.
We all have opinions on how these things look, and how much that matters versus the leg room, but isn't the marketplace the combination, competition and culmination of those opinions by everyone with a vote that matters (ie money they'll put where their mouth is?)
Attractive wasn’t being used simply for aesthetics. You do get that, right? Wasn’t even the main consideration. You also understand what a personal opinion is, correct? No one moved goal posts, you just have a hard time following along (or have made poor assumptions). My OPINION is objectively based on characteristics I value most…which aren’t sales numbers.

Sales volume is largely dictated by price points. As I alluded to, you will see this throughout most other brands (same segment of vehicle showing up as sales leader). Can you guess what the most popular vehicle segment in the US is? People often “settle” based on the price of something. If you gave every Model Y owner the opportunity to swap to another Tesla model with no charge…how many stick with the Y? I asked you before, if money didn’t factor into it, which Tesla would you take…which is it?

The RAV4 does great numbers…that vehicle isn’t attractive (to me)…and it has zero to do with what it looks like.

Last edited:
GMC Sierra and Chevy Silverado are just the same truck with different noses, right?

Always thought it was weird GM was giving the #1 vehicle slot to Ford every year by splitting their truck sales between brands. Is there more to it?

Looking at the sales numbers, it wouldn't have changed Tesla's position if the brands were combined (but I'm not a math major).

Looking at the sales numbers, it wouldn't have changed Tesla's position if the brands were combined (but I'm not a math major).
Yeah, it’s just that the combined GM sales of the Sierra and Silverado have I think always exceeded the F-150, but Ford has always claimed the number 1 sales spot because they don’t split their truck sales between Ford and, say a Mercury truck with a different nose on it.
I wasn’t sure if there was some real difference beyond surface cosmetics for the GMC and Chevy trucks. Never shopped trucks.

Reactions: ThorneStockton
I don’t think three trucks will change Tesla’s rank as a best selling car, but the RAV4 beat it.

Dafuq?

Do you have a link that invalidates the Car and Driver link?

If not, then STFU, troll.

Jesus H Christ. I don’t have any crayons available, but I’ll try.

“the best-selling car in the world

versus your link:

“As the industry continued to recover from supply-chain issues, many models were way up in this past year of U.S. auto sales.

Regular feckin Einstein over here.

Reactions: Slappy Pappy
My OPINION is objectively based on characteristics I value most…which aren’t sales numbers.

Sales volume is largely dictated by price points.
I argue the attractiveness of that characteristic is what you’re dismissing/overlooking.
As you note, price attracts customers, I don’t consider it irrelevant, it’s among the most important factors.
I don’t think you can ignore it when trying to learn what is most desirable in the marketplace (which is the real world we have to operate in).

As I alluded to, you will see this throughout most other brands (same segment of vehicle showing up as sales leader). Can you guess what the most popular vehicle segment in the US is? People often “settle” based on the price of something.
If you gave every Model Y owner the opportunity to swap to another Tesla model with no charge…how many stick with the Y? I asked you before, if money didn’t factor into it, which Tesla would you take…which is it?
Wouldn’t about 99% of people have a different vehicle if money wasn’t a factor?
Finding out what the people actually want has to include price, otherwise it’s just navel gazing.

The RAV4 does great numbers…that vehicle isn’t attractive (to me)…and it has zero to do with what it looks like.
Yet it’s the most attractive choice among those not looking for a truck.
Does nothing for me either, btw.

Jesus H Christ. I don’t have any crayons available, but I’ll try.

“the best-selling car in the world

versus your link:

“As the industry continued to recover from supply-chain issues, many models were way up in this past year of U.S. auto sales.

Regular feckin Einstein over here.
But the RAV4 is a crossover like the Model Y, and did beat it in sales.
But #2 car overall ain’t shabby.

I argue the attractiveness of that characteristic is what you’re dismissing/overlooking.
As you note, price attracts customers, I don’t consider it irrelevant, it’s among the most important factors.
I don’t think you can ignore it when trying to learn what is most desirable in the marketplace (which is the real world we have to operate in).

Wouldn’t about 99% of people have a different vehicle if money wasn’t a factor?
Finding out what the people actually want has to include price, otherwise it’s just navel gazing.

Yet it’s the most attractive choice among those not looking for a truck.
Does nothing for me either, btw.
I am not dismissing/ignoring/overlooking anything. My post about “least attractive” was for me. You extrapolated that to include all car buyers. Thats a poor assumption. That post also never mentioned sales. For me, what others are buying doesn’t play into my decision. For me, there is no navel gazing when it comes to the Tesla lineup. I asked, because if others were in my shoes, I believe they would agree with me (and you have). Now feel free to reread my original post.

BTW, I’m previously was a Tesla owner, so have certainly put my $ where mouth is.

But the RAV4 is a crossover like the Model Y, and did beat it in sales.
But #2 car overall ain’t shabby.

Not worldwide. Model Y #1. Considering the ASP versus #2 & #3 it is shocking.

“The Model Y, Tesla’s entry-level crossover, didn’t just nudge past the competition; it zoomed ahead with over 1.2 million units finding new homes across the globe last year. This electric crossover outpaced the stalwarts of the industry, the ToyotaRAV4 and the Toyota Corolla, which managed to sell 1.07 million and 1.01 million units, respectively. The fact that the Model Y did this just four years after it started rolling off the production lines is indeed remarkable.“

Highlights​

• Tesla has sold 1.23 million Model Y EVs in 2023
  • Toyota sold 1.07 million RAV4 and 1.01 million Corollas
  • The Model Y saw a 64 per cent growth YoY
Felipe Munoz, Global Analyst at JATO Dynamics, commented, “The increase in global sales of the Model Y is unprecedented, particularly for a vehicle in the top ten best-sellers. What Tesla has been able to achieve with the Model Y in such a short space of time is simply remarkable.”

Reactions: Slappy Pappy
I am not dismissing/ignoring/overlooking anything. My post about “least attractive” was for me. You extrapolated that to include all car buyers. Thats a poor assumption.

What did I write in response?

“That sort of subjective opinion comes in pretty weak against the sales volume.
No doubt it’s your opinion, but I’m not sure it has much predictive value.”

Still true.

What did I write in response?

“That sort of subjective opinion comes in pretty weak against the sales volume.
No doubt it’s your opinion, but I’m not sure it has much predictive value.”

Still true.
Never said that portion wasn’t. Want me to quote all the other comments that are not, or are completely irrelevant? Bringing up “sales volume” and “predictive value” started steering you in the wrong direction…almost immediately. The “masses” were not considered in my initial post and “still true.” FTR, I have always been underwhelmed by the execution the the model Y, but never doubted its ability to sell (fairly affordable, being a crossover).

In the face of McDonald’s sales numbers, I would make a similar post: “McDonald’s food is gross.”

Last edited:
Never said that portion wasn’t. Want me to quote all the other comments that are not, or are completely irrelevant? Bringing up “sales volume” and “predictive value” started steering you in the wrong direction…almost immediately. The “masses” were not considered in my initial post and “still true.” FTR, I have always been underwhelmed by the execution the the model Y, but never doubted its ability to sell (fairly affordable, being a crossover).

In the face of McDonald’s sales numbers, I would make a similar post: “McDonald’s food is gross.”

How does the fact that the Model Y was the #1 selling auto in China, the #1 selling auto in Europe, and the #5 selling auto in the USA, making it the #1 selling worldwide vehicle square with the fact your friend anecdotally had quality issues 6 years ago?

but but doesn’t “look good” right?

How does the fact that the Model Y was the #1 selling auto in China, the #1 selling auto in Europe, and the #5 selling auto in the USA, making it the #1 selling worldwide vehicle square with the fact your friend anecdotally had quality issues 6 years ago?

but but doesn’t “look good” right?
WTF are you talking about? Try to keep up please.

Build quality (years ago) was anecdotal? LMFAO.

It's possible to dislike Musk as an individual while also appreciating his business successes. He's done pretty darn well with Tesla and SpaceX, I'd say.
I wonder how much he actually contributes. Or if the SpaceX and Tesla execs are secretly happy he spends so much time jacking around with Twitter?

He strikes me as the boss who comes in and thinks he’s helping but everyone is just humoring them and waiting for them to leave so they can get back to work.

And I’m sure PF has links to show I’m mistaken.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT