ADVERTISEMENT

17-19 is starting to look like 95-97

Sep 3, 2019
Results have been incredibly similar through 2 1/2 seasons.

Nate’s career record and results in big games is looking a lot like Matt Sherman’s. Let’s hope it doesn’t play out the way it did for the 97 and 98 teams.

Last edited:

Nate’s career record and results in big games is looking a lot like Matt Sherman’s. Let’s hope every doesn’t play out the way it did for the 97 and 98 teams.
All losses and down times are strictly because of the quarterback right??? Another poster who has ZERO clue!

Reactions: mtdew_fever

Nate’s career record and results in big games is looking a lot like Matt Sherman’s. Let’s hope every doesn’t play out the way it did for the 97 and 98 teams.

Sherman vs ranked opp. 3-8
Stanley vs ranked opp. 2-6 ( Wiscy will be ranked when Iowa plays them, Minny probably will be ranked)

Iowa did finish 95 and 96 in the Top 25.
Iowa finished 2018 in the Top 25.

You clearly want to be angry. Feel free. But at least do me the courtesy of addressing my point, not posting a ridiculous straw man argument.
Not angry at all. You are singling out the quarterbacks in those timeframes while ignoring 21 other starting players, coaches, systems, schemes, etc. Makes zero sense.

Not angry at all. You are singling out the quarterbacks in those timeframes while ignoring 21 other starting players, coaches, systems, schemes, etc. Makes zero sense.

Reading my post and coming away with “all loses and downtimes are strictly because of the quarterback right???” Followed by “another poster with ZERO clue”

Three question marks and ZERO in caps? You are right, there was certainly no anger or emotion in that post. Lots of people insult other people when they disagree with them.

Now grab a beer, listen to some Kenny G, and try again to address the substance of the post.

The 1997 team lost every big game on the schedule. Iowa was ranked in the Top 10 when we went into Columbus and lost.

Then prior to the road trip to Michigan, they asked Tim Dwight if losing to Michigan would basically make it a lost season and he said yes. They then proceeded to choke at the end of that game.

They then went on to lose at Wisconsin and Northwestern.

A Sherman injury resulted in Randy Reiners QBing the Hawks in Madison. It was a complete shit show. I sill remember Reiners going crazy on an offensive lineman...looked horrible. It was the first time in 20 plus years that we lost to the Badgers.

It has to be the single most disappointing season in Iowa history. Sherman, Banks and Dwight were seniors and it all crashed and burned.

I also remember Sherman saying that he will never look at Iowa fans the same way after all of the criticism that the team and him received.

The 1997 team lost every big game on the schedule. Iowa was ranked in the Top 10 when we went into Columbus and lost.

Then prior to the road trip to Michigan, they asked Tim Dwight if losing to Michigan would basically make it a lost season and he said yes. They then proceeded to choke at the end of that game.

A Sherman injury resulted in Randy Reiners QBing the Hawks in Madison. It was a complete shit show. I sill remember Reiners going crazy on an offensive lineman...looked horrible. It was the first time in 20 plus years that we lost to the Badgers.

It has to be the single most disappointing season in Iowa history. Sherman, Banks and Dwight were seniors and it all crashed and burned.

I also remember Sherman saying that he will never look at Iowa fans the same way after all of the criticism that the team and him received.
Yeah, and Timmy had to write to the press citizen defending Sherman. The criticism was justified though, Sherman was terrible. Yes, a bad quarterback can ruin it. And no, I'm not comparing Stanley to Sherman. 97 team had real weapons around qb and he was still awful. Not the case with #4

Big difference in staffs. Hayden's staff was not real good and I think KF has made improvements and brought in younger up and coming position coaches. The talent level in the current program is also much better than what JHF has in his final years. There are some big differences however...The Big Ten now has PSU and Nebraska and the quality of the league and opposing programs are much better i.e, Wisconsin, Northwestern, Minnesota, MSU, etc. Only programs to slide vs. those years would be ILL

Reiners was actually hurt also going into the Wisconsin game. Scott Mullen made the start there and a couple turnovers led to them falling behind before Reiners was put in. Reiners led the conference in passing efficiency that year, so when he was healthy he did about as good a job as you could ask of him. Was always disappointed that we never saw him healthy, mentally or physically, his final two years. I've always felt terrible for Sherman too because he never had a wide receiver over 6 foot tall to throw too. Dwight, Damon Gibson, Willie Guy, Demo Odems actually might not have even cracked 5'10" tops. In a current offense with short passes that would've worked, but not in Hayden's offense. Sherman threw a great deep ball, only Stanzi really comes close since, but without guys that could go up and make a play it required them to actually beat their man. There was next to no margin for error.

Wow! Crazy, and that went on without the internet warriors? Can you imagine how bad that would have been. Oops, I guess we're starting to get the idea, aren't we?

Wow! Crazy, and that went on without the internet warriors? Can you imagine how bad that would have been. Oops, I guess we're starting to get the idea, aren't we?

Iowa went 1-4 on the road only winning at ISU, and 6-0 at home with 3 shutouts, so who knows what would've happened had the OSU and Michigan games not been on the road. And Iowa did whip a good Purdue team (9-3, finished 15th in the country).

Last edited:

I think the comparison is the reputation for struggling in big games.

I don't think there any actual parallels but I understand what he's trying to say.

Iowa went 1-4 on the road only winning at ISU, and 6-0 at home with 3 shutouts, so who knows what would've happened had the OSU and Michigan games not been on the road. And Iowa did whip a good Purdue team (9-3, finished 15th in the country).
I get it, I was simply commenting, (after the post about what the Iowa player said about how bad the Iowa fans reacted), on how bad it would have been if they had this site and the internet then.....:rolleyes:

I was actually just thinking this earlier today.

'95 - Iowa wins their first bowl game in forever; lots of linemen returning.

'96 - Up and down season, Iowa wins a solid bowl game and finishes ranked, lots of skill position players returning, lots of expectations for next year.

'97 - Disappointing season, could not beat good teams or win on the road, killed in the trenches.

'98 - Big Ten has great season, Iowa had bare cupboard and got throttled all year, including by ISU for the first time in forever.

'95-'96 eerily similar to '17-'18. '19 shaping up a lot like '97. With the crossover schedule Iowa has in '20, and with every team in the B1G West on the rise other than Iowa......we could be looking square at another '98.

Big difference in staffs. Hayden's staff was not real good and I think KF has made improvements and brought in younger up and coming position coaches. The talent level in the current program is also much better than what JHF has in his final years. There are some big differences however...The Big Ten now has PSU and Nebraska and the quality of the league and opposing programs are much better i.e, Wisconsin, Northwestern, Minnesota, MSU, etc. Only programs to slide vs. those years would be ILL

Penn St was in the B1G during that time and probably better than they are now. Nebraska has brought nothing to the B1G other than ghosts of football past.

Purdue was a lot better then and Northwestern finished first and second respectively in 95 and 96. I don’t think either school is better now than they were in 95-97. MSU is better now than they were then at about a .500. Wisconsin is a lot better now. That may be the only real difference, although they were above average then. Illinois won two games total in 96 and 97. They are better than that now or at the very least about the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: Slappy Pappy
Penn St was in the B1G during that time and probably better than they are now. Nebraska has brought nothing to the B1G other than ghosts of football past.

Purdue was a lot better then and Northwestern finished first and second respectively in 95 and 96. I don’t think either school is better now than they were in 95-97. MSU is better now than they were then at about a .500. Wisconsin is a lot better now. That may be the only real difference, although they were above average then. Illinois won two games total in 96 and 97. They are better than that now or at the very least about the same.

yes, you are correct on PSU. I'd forgotten it's been so long now. But, PSU was not great. Ok, many of those years run together, so specific to those 3 years, I am obviously off on a few of those seasons. The impact of division also had changed the landscape a bit. We did have Tim Dwight and Tavian which were once in a decade skill talent.

My only point is that the Big Ten today is better top to bottom than it was then, Iowa has a better staff now than it did then and the talent and depth is better now. If KF was to walk out the door tomorrow I believe we would not be a 3-9 team the following year.

Tough to fully compare era's with many different variables.

yes, you are correct on PSU. I'd forgotten it's been so long now. But, PSU was not great. Ok, many of those years run together, so specific to those 3 years, I am obviously off on a few of those seasons. The impact of division also had changed the landscape a bit. We did have Tim Dwight and Tavian which were once in a decade skill talent.

My only point is that the Big Ten today is better top to bottom than it was then, Iowa has a better staff now than it did then and the talent and depth is better now. If KF was to walk out the door tomorrow I believe we would not be a 3-9 team the following year.

Tough to fully compare era's with many different variables.

I’ll respectfully disagree on the B1G being better top to bottom now. Rutgers alone is bye for any B1G team. The nine game schedule is generally tougher now, unless you happen upon Rutgers.

I agree it’s tough to compare eras, but @PU and @MSU (and many others) were no easier in the late 90’s than they are today.

Last edited:
I forgot one thing. After the loss in 1997 at Northwestern, we arrived back in Iowa City and stopped at a gas station. When I walked in, one of the players (the team had already arrived back), was walking out with a case of beer.

It pretty much summed things up that year.

Sherman was awful. Dwight could’ve won the Heisman that year with a competent QB. His talents and hard work were wasted that season.

Reactions: CarterHall
Matt Sherman was not awful. Matt had to deal with a little known problem, Hayden Fry losing his edge and memory at times. Plays were sent in that made no sense, leaving Matt to literally say HUH....Hayden was having issues remembering the playbook. Matt dealt with this. Matt was a good QB, not awful.Hayden would override OC plays and Matt literally had to change the play in the huddle and take the grief on the sidelines. Their were many issues behind the Fry retirement. I love Hayden, but this is fact.

I thought then and still think now that Sedrick Shaw was better than Banks. Banks was fast but couldn't handle any kind of contact. He was arm tackled a lot. If Shaw was still there in 97 I think we would have fared better.
Comparing a quarterback and running back?

I was actually just thinking this earlier today.

'95 - Iowa wins their first bowl game in forever; lots of linemen returning.

'96 - Up and down season, Iowa wins a solid bowl game and finishes ranked, lots of skill position players returning, lots of expectations for next year.

'97 - Disappointing season, could not beat good teams or win on the road, killed in the trenches.

'98 - Big Ten has great season, Iowa had bare cupboard and got throttled all year, including by ISU for the first time in forever.

'95-'96 eerily similar to '17-'18. '19 shaping up a lot like '97. With the crossover schedule Iowa has in '20, and with every team in the B1G West on the rise other than Iowa......we could be looking square at another '98.
Lplololol

I thought then and still think now that Sedrick Shaw was better than Banks. Banks was fast but couldn't handle any kind of contact. He was arm tackled a lot. If Shaw was still there in 97 I think we would have fared better.

Big Ten offensive player of the year, outgained Ron Dayne, he wasn’t very good.

Also the end of the 90s was an emptying of the cupboard. 19 is people overreacting to losses to really good teams.

The cupboard is emptying before our eyes. This stretch will be known for a long time as one of the worst wastes of elite talent ever in Iowa history, with potentially 5 first rounders leaving in 2 years for a team that mostly held together for 3 years and yet no regular season record above 8-4 in that 3 year stretch.

The cupboard is emptying before our eyes. This stretch will be known for a long time as one of the worst wastes of elite talent ever in Iowa history, with potentially 5 first rounders leaving in 2 years for a team that mostly held together for 3 years and yet no regular season record above 8-4 in that 3 year stretch.
Meh.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT