ADVERTISEMENT

17th out of 18 BIG schools in recruiting. UPDATE: 8/9/24: WE'RE NOW 18th!! 63rd out of 68 P5 teams! 250 2025 4*s and we have 1?!?!

This isn't going to be his final year.

He will coach out the remainder of his contract thru the 2029 season.
I notice you didn't use the word "probably" so you know this definitively how exactly?

Not trying to bust your chops, just curious on your source...if there is one.

Including this year that means 6 more full years.

I highly doubt he continues that much longer. And really, would we (or he) want him to?

Does Kirk really have it in him to deal with the new recruiting realities (still evolving) and the "free agency" mentality of the kids? Personally, I don't think he does or really wants to.

At some point, you need to revitalize the program and bring in some "fresh legs" with new age perspective to lead/carry to program.

There is loyalty, then there is blind loyalty at the expense of the greater good.

Even if the team comes out and nails it this year and they get a CFP invite, they will almost definitely take a significant step back next year to 'rebuild' due to losses on a veteran roster. Might be best to start with a a fresh-legged regime. I realize it's always risky to do that, but it will need to happen eventually. After this seems like the perfect time.

I notice you didn't use the word "probably" so you know this definitively how exactly?

Not trying to bust your chops, just curious on your source...if there is one.

Including this year that means 6 more full years.

I highly doubt he continues that much longer. And really, would we (or he) want him to?

Does Kirk really have it in him to deal with the new recruiting realities (still evolving) and the "free agency" mentality of the kids? Personally, I don't think he does or really wants to.

At some point, you need to revitalize the program and bring in some "fresh legs" with new age perspective to lead/carry to program.

There is loyalty, then there is blind loyalty at the expense of the greater good.

Even if the team comes out and nails it this year and they get a CFP invite, they will almost definitely take a significant step back next year to 'rebuild' due to losses on a veteran roster. Might be best to start with a a fresh-legged regime. I realize it's always risky to do that, but it will need to happen eventually. After this seems like the perfect time.
Yeah, I suppose I should have said something like, "He will most likely coach out the remainder of his contract thru 2029" because I don't know definitively (what's the old saying......just death and taxes, right?). But from everything I've heard from those close to him, he's felt pretty energized this year....I think the whole BF thing hanging over the program taxed him more than he realized. He also, self-admittedly has no hobbies, and the COVID year really showed him that he isn't anywhere close to ready to just spend time at home playing husband and grandpa. Finally, I don't see any way the university decides to buy out the remaining $35M on his current contract after this year......especially with the onset of revenue sharing next year. Is it possible that they buy him out with a couple years left? Sure. But I just don't see him walking away after this year.

Yeah, I suppose I should have said something like, "He will most likely coach out the remainder of his contract thru 2029" because I don't know definitively (what's the old saying......just death and taxes, right?). But from everything I've heard from those close to him, he's felt pretty energized this year....I think the whole BF thing hanging over the program taxed him more than he realized. He also, self-admittedly has no hobbies, and the COVID year really showed him that he isn't anywhere close to ready to just spend time at home playing husband and grandpa. Finally, I don't see any way the university decides to buy out the remaining $35M on his current contract after this year......especially with the onset of revenue sharing next year. Is it possible that they buy him out with a couple years left? Sure. But I just don't see him walking away after this year.
Thanks for clarifying.

Still not convince he won't walk away.

It's a huge risk he'll be taking that he can maintain the 60% win record in order to be eligible for the HoF if he goes past this year. At least that's what I'd be looking at if I were him. Legacy is a huge thing for most humans engaged in sports at this level. Of course, I could be wrong about his priorities.

Regarding the remaining contract payout, please note that it wouldn't be paid out in one large disbursement. Typically it is refined during the separation process and it isn't uncommon for incremental payouts over 10 years...sometimes even longer. I feel confident Kirk/Mary would be fine with a 10 yr installment plan...and it may even include something like $25M to us over 10 years, with a one-time disbursement to the Children's Hospital for the remaining balance. The University could easily afford that when considering the new media deal and other revenue (naming rights for example) streams coming into play.

Thanks for clarifying.

Still not convince he won't walk away.

It's a huge risk he'll be taking that he can maintain the 60% win record in order to be eligible for the HoF if he goes past this year. At least that's what I'd be looking at if I were him. Legacy is a huge thing for most humans engaged in sports at this level. Of course, I could be wrong about his priorities.

Regarding the remaining contract payout, please note that it wouldn't be paid out in one large disbursement. Typically it is refined during the separation process and it isn't uncommon for incremental payouts over 10 years...sometimes even longer. I feel confident Kirk/Mary would be fine with a 10 yr installment plan...and it may even include something like $25M to us over 10 years, with a one-time disbursement to the Children's Hospital for the remaining balance. The University could easily afford that when considering the new media deal and other revenue (naming rights for example) streams coming into play.
It can always be amended, but I'm pretty certain his current contract says his buyout has to be paid in equal installments over the remainder of his contract. So if we let him go after this year, Iowa would owe him $7M/year for the next 5 years.

In regards to the HOF.....let's say he does coach the remaining 6 years of his contract. There are essentially 13 games each year, so that would be 78 total games over that 6 years. In order to be at 60% at the end, he would need to have 48 wins in that timeframe. In other words, if he averaged 8-5 over that timeframe, he'd be at 60%. That's basically what he's averaged over his entire time at Iowa. I think it's doable.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT