ADVERTISEMENT

197 finalist Truax in the Portal

I was talking about Cael's promises of payments to recruits to cover their tuition.
Gable's problems had been approved by compliance within big 10. They were wrong, of course. He was doing it above board, not secretive.

Reactions: MVPFAN
I was talking about Cael's promises of payments to recruits to cover their tuition.
Thanks for the clarification.

I doubt he'd be that overt. I'm imagining a conversation with more subtlety. Something like:

Cael: "What are your goals?"

Top 10 PFP Recruit: "NCAA, World, and Olympic championships!"

Cael: "My and our coaches' main job would be to help you achieve your goals. So you're aware that the NLWC is available for qualified athletes to train?"

Top 10 PFP Recruit: "Y.."

Cael: "That was what's called a rhetorical question; I see your already qualified. This is something we, as coaches, look for. And we are always looking for our next generation of resident athletes. Our financial analyst projects the NLWC is fully funded for the next twenty-five years. That’s fifteen more than social security. That was a joke, son. You were supposed to laugh."

Top 10 PFP Recruit: "So you're saying I could become a resident athlete at the NLWC after I graduate from Penn State?"

Cael: "If you enjoy wrestling and work to further improve, living the right lifestyle, you'll succeed. I can’t guarantee that success will lead to an NLWC residency. Some of our past NCAA champions are still resident athletes. Others have moved on to other RTC opportunities and NCAA coaching opportunities. You should do just fine for yourself."

I imagine Gable's conversations would be in a similar vein. Nothing against NCAA rules here. Nothing to see here people. Let's move on.

Last edited:
Gable's problems had been approved by compliance within big 10.
Alleged camp money for reduced scholarships after committing, or are you just talking about overawards due to faulty B10 rule? I am assuming only the latter.

Surely, Royce Alger could've decided to come to Iowa vs UNI factoring in financial considerations. And that he was in state helped Iowa given how the faulty B10 calculations worked.

I was in college then, not really caring about these things. I do know tuition was much less. I could make it work just busting my butt over the summer with modest Pell Grants and parents buying books. Only took a student loan the last semester. College was much more affordable then, for student athlete and non-student athlete alike. Definitely different times.

Last edited:
Reactions: bourbon n blues
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT