ADVERTISEMENT

2 Scholarships open; Does one go to Connor? Lets look at Fran's recruiting since arriving at Iowa

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
In Men's basketball, you can have 13 on scholarship.

Here is a summary of the McCaffery era recruits:

Graduating Class : Players

Future Graduating Classes:

2023: 1--6'6" SF Patrick McCaffery (****)

Current Roster (11 currently on scholarship; 2 scholarship available):

2022 (Freshmen): 2--6'5" SG Joe Wieskamp (****); 6'4" SG CJ Fredrick (**)

2021 (Sophomores): 2--6'10" C Luke Garza (****); 6'9" F Jack Nunge (***)

2020 (Juniors): 6--6'8" PF Tyler Cook (****): 6'8" SF Cordell Pemsl (***); 6'9" PF Ryan Kriener (***); 6'0" PG Jordan Bohannon (***); 6'5" SF Isaiah Moss (***; ; was reshirted in 2015-16); 6'6" G Maishe Dailey (***)

2019 (Senior): 1--6'7" SF Nick Baer (was a preferred walk on his 2014-15 red shirt year and for the 2015-16 season; put on scholarship in March 2016)

Notable Walk on players:

2022 (Redshirt Freshman): 1--6'5" SG Connor McCaffery (****; announced on Apr 28, 2017 that he will play baseball in the Spring of 2018 and redshirt in basketball in the fall of 2017)

2021 (Sophomores): 2--6'6" Riley Till (redshirted in 2016-2017); 6'2" Guard Austiin Ash

Previous graduating classes and early departures:

2018: 3--6'8" SF Dominique Uhl (***) graduated; 6'4" SG Brady Ellingson (***; was redshirted in 2014-15 season) was scheduled to run out of eligibly at Iowa in 2019 but decided in March 2018 to transfer and play his final season elsewhere; 6'7" SF Ahmad Wagner (***) was scheduled to graduate in 2019 but in March 2018 he announced he was leaving basketball in order to give football a try.

2017: 3--6'6" SG Peter Jok; 6'8" PF Dale Jones (graduated; due to injury, was granted a 6th year of eligibility but that additional year would not be at Iowa; in Apr 2017 Jones committed to the University of North Dakota); 6'6" combo guard Christian Williams (***; was originally scheduled to graduate in 2019; on Thurs Oct 26, 2017, Williams asked for and was granted a release from his scholarship; Williams finished out his academic requirements for the fall 2017 semester before transferring)

2016: 6--PG Anthony Clemmons, PG Mike Gesell, C Adam Woodbury, SF Jarrod Uthoff; Two players granted release in March 2016: 6'6" SG Andrew Fleming (***, was set to graduate in 2019),6'6" SF Brandon Hutton (***; was redshirted in 2015-16; was set to graduate in 2020);

2015: 5--SG Josh Ogelsby, PF Aaron White, C Gabe Olaseni, SG Kyle Denning; PG Trey Dickerson quit/left the team on Feb 23, 2015

2014 (Fran's first recruiting class): 5--PF Melsahn Basabe, SG Devyn Marble, PF Zach McCabe, SF Darius Stokes (graduated & transferred), C Kyle Meyer (granted release & transferred; he redshirted his 2012 freshman season and therefore would have been se to graduate in 2017)

2013: 1--PG Patrick Ingram (would have been part of the 2016 graduation class; transferred in March 2013, after just one season at Iowa)

2012: 1--PG Bryce Cartwright (signed Letter of Intent on June 9, 2010). Bryce was the second recruit for McCaffery at Iowa (Melsahn Basabe, who initially signed with Siena, was Fran's first recruit; Basabe announced he was a Hawkeye on May 1, 2010). Cartwright joined already signed Iowa recruits Devyn Marble, Zach McCabe and Melsahn Basabe on the 2010-2011 roster.

Last edited:
Just from watching the tournament, it’s blatantly obvious that Iowa needs a significant upngrade in athleticism. With Dailey, Cook and possibly others not set to return, we need athletes terribly and outside of the faults mentioned repeatedly, Iowa could use a rim protector as well. I hope Cook and Dailey return but I’m not optimistic.

Just from watching the tournament, it’s blatantly obvious that Iowa needs a significant upngrade in athleticism. With Dailey, Cook and possibly others not set to return, we need athletes terribly and outside of the faults mentioned repeatedly, Iowa could use a rim protector as well. I hope Cook and Dailey return but I’m not optimistic.

Yeah, even UMBC looked more athletic than us. Ugh.

What makes you think Cook and Dailey won't return? I think Cook gets his evaluation and learns he has a lot to work on. I think Dailey stays as well.

Yeah, even UMBC looked more athletic than us. Ugh.

What makes you think Cook and Dailey won't return? I think Cook gets his evaluation and learns he has a lot to work on. I think Dailey stays as well.

I hope you are right. I have been on Dailey’s side since the beginning. Length, athleticism, the ability to defend, etc. I think he has the potential to make huge strides but will all of the smoke around him it makes me nervous.

As far as Cook goes, I just think differently than many here. What he needs to work on can be improved. What can’t be improved is an NBA (or overseas) body and elite athleticism. In what was an otherwise awful year, his electricity made watching him must see TV. I have probably been a fan too long and expect the worst and hope for the best.

In Men's basketball, you can have 13 on scholarship.

Here is a summary of the McCaffery era recruits:

Graduating Class : Players

Future Graduating Classes:

2023: 1--6'6" SF Patrick McCaffery (****)

Current Roster (11 currently on scholarship; 2 scholarship available):

2022: 2--6'5" SG Joe Wieskamp (****); 6'4" SG CJ Fredrick (**)

2021: 2--6'10" C Luke Garza (****); 6'9" F Jack Nunge (***)

2020: 6--6'8" PF Tyler Cook (****): 6'8" SF Cordell Pemsl (***); 6'9" PF Ryan Kriener (***); 6'0" PG Jordan Bohannon (***); 6'5" SF Isaiah Moss (***; ; was reshirted in 2015-16); 6'6" G Maishe Dailey (***)

2019: 1--6'7" SF Nick Baer (was a preferred walk on his 2014-15 red shirt year and for the 2015-16 season; put on scholarship in March 2016)

Notable Walk on players:

2022: 1--6'5" SG Connor McCaffery (****; announced on Apr 28, 2017 that he will play baseball in the Spring of 2018 and redshirt in basketball in the fall of 2017)

2021: 2--6'6" Riley Till (redshirted in 2016-2017); 6'2" Guard Austiin Ash

Previous graduating classes and early departures:

2018: 3--6'8" SF Dominique Uhl (***) graduated; 6'4" SG Brady Ellingson (***; was redshirted in 2014-15 season) was scheduled to run out of eligibly at Iowa in 2019 but decided in March 2018 to transfer and play his final season elsewhere; 6'7" SF Ahmad Wagner (***) was scheduled to graduate in 2019 but in March 2018 he announced he was leaving basketball in order to give football a try.

2017: 3--6'6" SG Peter Jok; 6'8" PF Dale Jones (graduated; due to injury, was granted a 6th year of eligibility but that additional year would not be at Iowa; in Apr 2017 Jones committed to the University of North Dakota); 6'6" combo guard Christian Williams (***; was originally scheduled to graduate in 2019; on Thurs Oct 26, 2017, Williams asked for and was granted a release from his scholarship; Williams finished out his academic requirements for the fall 2017 semester before transferring)

2016: 6--PG Anthony Clemmons, PG Mike Gesell, C Adam Woodbury, SF Jarrod Uthoff; Two players granted release in March 2016: 6'6" SG Andrew Fleming (***, was set to graduate in 2019),6'6" SF Brandon Hutton (***; was redshirted in 2015-16; was set to graduate in 2020);

2015: 5--SG Josh Ogelsby, PF Aaron White, C Gabe Olaseni, SG Kyle Denning; PG Trey Dickerson quit/left the team on Feb 23, 2015

2014 (Fran's first recruiting class): 5--PF Melsahn Basabe, SG Devyn Marble, PF Zach McCabe, SF Darius Stokes (graduated & transferred), C Kyle Meyer (granted release & transferred; he redshirted his 2012 freshman season and therefore would have been se to graduate in 2017)

2013: 1--PG Patrick Ingram (would have been part of the 2016 graduation class; transferred in March 2013, after just one season at Iowa)

2012: 1--PG Bryce Cartwright (signed Letter of Intent on June 9, 2010). Bryce was the second recruit for McCaffery at Iowa (Melsahn Basabe, who initially signed with Siena, was Fran's first recruit; Basabe announced he was a Hawkeye on May 1, 2010). Cartwright joined already signed Iowa recruits Devyn Marble, Zach McCabe and Melsahn Basabe on the 2010-2011 roster.

If there are talented perimeter players available who can improve the team, then I hope not. If I am Connor with my pa's bank account, no way I would take a scholly...especially if it helps my team to victory.
If no one good enough comes along, then yes, get him a scholarship...for next year

Fran is an idiot if he puts Connor on scholarship. So much so that I'll quit watching until his reign is finished. This team needs new players via JUCO or grad transfer. If the new players don't work out, so be it. You gotta try to change the roster for 2018-2019 or risk laying another turd of a season.

I won't fault him for trying to bring in new talent and it doesn't work out. I would fault him for giving a scholarship to somebody who doesn't need one.

Franisdaman..... Let's first of all remember how little real BB talent ALLFRAUD and LickedLighter brought in to Iowa. A moment of silence (SH.h.hhhhhhh!) Iowa went from top 50 under ALLFRAUD to top 150 under Licked. ALLFRAUD always had his wandering eye on Indiana Job. No one believed he loved the Iowa job (faithfully). Licked ball was like watching the paint dry. Boring.

Fran needs to have some success or else very soon. Next year, Connor, Luka, and Jack will be more impactful and perform better. Pemsl and Cook need to work on jump shot games (15-18 feet). Cook will be back next season because he lacks a consistent jump shot but prepare to fill his spot as he will be jumping back into the draft next year. Kriener must have an epiphany of his BB talent.
Isaiah Moss must learn to control the ball better when driving to the bucket and scoring thru the contact. Dailey must get stronger and continue improving his 3 point shooting game. I believe Baer will return to form next year as his hand injury had some lingering effects. Baer is better off the bench.

Bohannon will enjoy the help Wieskamp brings ( not sure CJ Fredrick plays much next year... needs to gain strength) as an outstanding outside jump shot shooter. If Iowa can greatly improve it 3 point shooting percentage and have develop some maturity in Dailey, Moss, Nunge and Kriener, Iowa can return to March Madness. Garza , Cook, and Pemsl need improvements on jump shots to balance out lowpost games.

Recruiting needs to improve greatly and be more athletic. Need a top level PG to take the reigns from Bohannon. Hoping DJ Carton commits to Iowa before summer ends. I believe Tyrell Tyler will go to either Minnesota or Wisconsin. Wagner's leaving and Cook NBA dreaming should really get the staff off its butts and examine ISSA SAMAKE. The kid played well at state but needs to be seen on a national level. He will still be a bit of a project so another PF is needed ASAP.

Iowa needs to flush any dreams of James Wiseman (definite one and done material) and J. Robinson-Earl (Ditto). I would love to see Trayce Jackson-Davis (EJ Liddell seems like pipe dream) come to Iowa. Stay with those four (DJ, PMac, Issa and Trayce) then start planning for 2020 class (XFoster(PF/C), Jalen Suggs or Jalen Terry (PGs), Even Brauns (C)).

Again, Iowa needs more athleticism on the floor and better 3 point shooting.

Connor and Patrick should NEVER be on scholarship if Fran wants to maximize the players we can get and how good we can be IMO

I've never really understood this...I can appreciate for instance Doug McDermott not taking a scholarship for one year to account for a player granted an extra year of eligibility (think it was Gibbs). But a coach doesn't really gain a competitive advantage if he has 15 players on the roster for multiple years..we've seen its difficult enough to find a groove with Fran playing 12, imagine how many unhappy campers we would have if we had 13 scholarship players plus the two McCaffery kids! If I had to bet money, it would be a toxic situation that led to turnover and mixed results at best.

Fran doesn't need 15 players...he needs to recruit at least 10/11 that are high major players and contributors. Use the other two or three on guys that have high upside but may need a year or two to develop and don't mind not being major players their first year or two on the team, similar to Olaseni.

Better not, we already unneccessarily used a scholarship on a guy already on the team in Baer last year and look how that worked out. Don't make the same mistake twice.

Why the fuk are we seriously rehashing the Connor scholorship thing?

If Fran thinks he can improve his chances of winning next year at the expense of his wallet thats most likely what he will do. His Job might be on the line.

It wont affect anything for Connor either way.

Exactly what I said. watching the tournament shows just how far Iowa has to go to be a contender.

Reactions: jellyfish10
With 2 departures, there are 2 schollys. A transfer guard has to come first. If there’s one left going into the season, why not give it to Connor for the year? This is the advantage in recruiting for Fran having his sons on the team. Their schollys are flexible.

I don't understand the Tyrell Terry recruitment. Minneapolis StarTribune today named the top three all-state teams. Terry didn't make the list.

Reactions: HawkIDrummer
Better not, we already unneccessarily used a scholarship on a guy already on the team in Baer last year and look how that worked out. Don't make the same mistake twice.
So the guy who was the sixth man of the year in the BIG should not be worthy of a scholly? Really? I can't argue that he struggled this season getting off to a slow start, and then trying to do too much. Baer should be coming off the bench, but he's certainly worthy of a scholorship. :confused:

Reactions: RocknRollface
So the guy who was the sixth man of the year in the BIG should not be worthy of a scholly? Really? I can't argue that he struggled this season getting off to a slow start, and then trying to do too much. Baer should be coming off the bench, but he's certainly worthy of a scholorship. :confused:

Why? He was already on the team without a scholarship. He wasn't going to leave, Fran turned an open scholarship into nothing.

Franisdaman..... Let's first of all remember how little real BB talent ALLFRAUD and LickedLighter brought in to Iowa. A moment of silence (SH.h.hhhhhhh!) Iowa went from top 50 under ALLFRAUD to top 150 under Licked. ALLFRAUD always had his wandering eye on Indiana Job. No one believed he loved the Iowa job (faithfully). Licked ball was like watching the paint dry. Boring.

Fran needs to have some success or else very soon. Next year, Connor, Luka, and Jack will be more impactful and perform better. Pemsl and Cook need to work on jump shot games (15-18 feet). Cook will be back next season because he lacks a consistent jump shot but prepare to fill his spot as he will be jumping back into the draft next year. Kriener must have an epiphany of his BB talent.
Isaiah Moss must learn to control the ball better when driving to the bucket and scoring thru the contact. Dailey must get stronger and continue improving his 3 point shooting game. I believe Baer will return to form next year as his hand injury had some lingering effects. Baer is better off the bench.

Bohannon will enjoy the help Wieskamp brings ( not sure CJ Fredrick plays much next year... needs to gain strength) as an outstanding outside jump shot shooter. If Iowa can greatly improve it 3 point shooting percentage and have develop some maturity in Dailey, Moss, Nunge and Kriener, Iowa can return to March Madness. Garza , Cook, and Pemsl need improvements on jump shots to balance out lowpost games.

Recruiting needs to improve greatly and be more athletic. Need a top level PG to take the reigns from Bohannon. Hoping DJ Carton commits to Iowa before summer ends. I believe Tyrell Tyler will go to either Minnesota or Wisconsin. Wagner's leaving and Cook NBA dreaming should really get the staff off its butts and examine ISSA SAMAKE. The kid played well at state but needs to be seen on a national level. He will still be a bit of a project so another PF is needed ASAP.

Iowa needs to flush any dreams of James Wiseman (definite one and done material) and J. Robinson-Earl (Ditto). I would love to see Trayce Jackson-Davis (EJ Liddell seems like pipe dream) come to Iowa. Stay with those four (DJ, PMac, Issa and Trayce) then start planning for 2020 class (XFoster(PF/C), Jalen Suggs or Jalen Terry (PGs), Even Brauns (C)).

Again, Iowa needs more athleticism on the floor and better 3 point shooting.
That is a whole big bunch of "I think", "If this happens", "I hope" for just next season.

The rest is, at its best, pure conjecture. Keep polishing that,.....

I've never really understood this...I can appreciate for instance Doug McDermott not taking a scholarship for one year to account for a player granted an extra year of eligibility (think it was Gibbs). But a coach doesn't really gain a competitive advantage if he has 15 players on the roster for multiple years..we've seen its difficult enough to find a groove with Fran playing 12, imagine how many unhappy campers we would have if we had 13 scholarship players plus the two McCaffery kids! If I had to bet money, it would be a toxic situation that led to turnover and mixed results at best.

Fran doesn't need 15 players...he needs to recruit at least 10/11 that are high major players and contributors. Use the other two or three on guys that have high upside but may need a year or two to develop and don't mind not being major players their first year or two on the team, similar to Olaseni.

More scholorships to offer is always a good thing.

If you dont think so, why not just use 10?

College bball has constant turnover no matter what. The more resources you have the better.

More ships allows for more risk taking and more ability to correct and recover from mistakes.

For instane, at one point Fran had to choose between Peter Jok and Jeremy Morgan, because he had Pat Ingram and Kyle Meyer taking up roster spots. See where having the option to add another guy comes in handy?

So basically we have an open scholly right now. 1 will go to Connor, so we have 1 open spot. Both a Post & guard left so I think Fran has to look to a grad transfer guard. Someone who can come in and contribute right away.

So basically we have an open scholly right now. 1 will go to Connor, so we have 1 open spot. Both a Post & guard left so I think Fran has to look to a grad transfer guard. Someone who can come in and contribute right away.

Fran has choose twice to take the extra player rather than save himself the money.

First Nunge, second Fredrick.

So this time around im guessing the first one will go to who ever Fran wants and the second will also go to whoever Fran wants.

And either way Connor will be on the team in the exact same situation.

With 2 departures, there are 2 schollys. A transfer guard has to come first. If there’s one left going into the season, why not give it to Connor for the year? This is the advantage in recruiting for Fran having his sons on the team. Their schollys are flexible.
B1G scholarships are 4 year commitments. I believe once Connor is put on scholarship he's there to stay.

Why? He was already on the team without a scholarship. He wasn't going to leave, Fran turned an open scholarship into nothing.
Its also called a carrot. We don't know yet how good Frederick will end up being, but he got him to join Iowa as a walk on partly because of Frans relationship with the kids dad, and maybe partly because he saw that if he earned the scholly he'd end up with one. I have no idea about Baer, and I'll assume you don't either, but maybe he transfers to UNI or somewhere to get that scholly.

Fran definitely needs to cut down on the rotation. But that isn't the argument for the extra scholarship(s). Having more players to recruit, you can take a chance on someone. Or one could bring in more development players who need a redshirt. Find that player who earns their way into the rotation... But cut down on the rotation...

Reactions: RocknRollface

Exactly. It all depends on whether Fran can get the guys he wants. If he's just going to "bank" a scholly, why not give it to Connor for that year? If he needs one the following year, Connor (or Patrick) can revert back to walking on.

More scholorships to offer is always a good thing.

If you dont think so, why not just use 10?

College bball has constant turnover no matter what. The more resources you have the better.

More ships allows for more risk taking and more ability to correct and recover from mistakes.

For instance, at one point Fran had to choose between Peter Jok and Jeremy Morgan, because he had Pat Ingram and Kyle Meyer taking up roster spots. See where having the option to add another guy comes in handy?

As to the 2 schollies FRan has now, I assume 1 goes to Connor and Fran will attempt to find a spring signee that can contribute next year, I think the presence of Connor/JayBo means no good Juco PG will want to come to iowa because he'll be afraid of not getting fair shake for PT at PG. I'm not optimistic of Fran finding a good Juco player in spring, so the ironic thing about BradyE/Wagner leaving early is it might end up having zero effect on program in terms of speeding up the re-balancing of the roster.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT