ADVERTISEMENT

2 Scholarships open; Does one go to Connor? Lets look at Fran's recruiting since arriving at Iowa

Exactly. It all depends on whether Fran can get the guys he wants. If he's just going to "bank" a scholly, why not give it to Connor for that year? If he needs one the following year, Connor (or Patrick) can revert back to walking on.

Yes, that goes without saying, if its open use it.

who was ranked higher, Connor or Trey Burke? tell me who would you rather have?

Trey Burke but that was not the argument I was making. I don't believe its fair to withhold a scholarship from a kid who would have been recruited by a lot of other schools had it not been because A- he is interested in baseball or B- he is a coaches kid at major university. Connor is a player that deserves a scholarship based on what he did as a player.

Do we need an athletic point guard who can defend and make things happen on the offensive end, absolutely. But that doesn't mean I am okay with denying a kid on the roster a scholarship who deserves one.

Franisdaman..... Let's first of all remember how little real BB talent ALLFRAUD and LickedLighter brought in to Iowa. A moment of silence (SH.h.hhhhhhh!) Iowa went from top 50 under ALLFRAUD to top 150 under Licked. ALLFRAUD always had his wandering eye on Indiana Job. No one believed he loved the Iowa job (faithfully). Licked ball was like watching the paint dry. Boring.

Fran needs to have some success or else very soon. Next year, Connor, Luka, and Jack will be more impactful and perform better. Pemsl and Cook need to work on jump shot games (15-18 feet). Cook will be back next season because he lacks a consistent jump shot but prepare to fill his spot as he will be jumping back into the draft next year. Kriener must have an epiphany of his BB talent.
Isaiah Moss must learn to control the ball better when driving to the bucket and scoring thru the contact. Dailey must get stronger and continue improving his 3 point shooting game. I believe Baer will return to form next year as his hand injury had some lingering effects. Baer is better off the bench.

Bohannon will enjoy the help Wieskamp brings ( not sure CJ Fredrick plays much next year... needs to gain strength) as an outstanding outside jump shot shooter. If Iowa can greatly improve it 3 point shooting percentage and have develop some maturity in Dailey, Moss, Nunge and Kriener, Iowa can return to March Madness. Garza , Cook, and Pemsl need improvements on jump shots to balance out lowpost games.

Recruiting needs to improve greatly and be more athletic. Need a top level PG to take the reigns from Bohannon. Hoping DJ Carton commits to Iowa before summer ends. I believe Tyrell Tyler will go to either Minnesota or Wisconsin. Wagner's leaving and Cook NBA dreaming should really get the staff off its butts and examine ISSA SAMAKE. The kid played well at state but needs to be seen on a national level. He will still be a bit of a project so another PF is needed ASAP.

Iowa needs to flush any dreams of James Wiseman (definite one and done material) and J. Robinson-Earl (Ditto). I would love to see Trayce Jackson-Davis (EJ Liddell seems like pipe dream) come to Iowa. Stay with those four (DJ, PMac, Issa and Trayce) then start planning for 2020 class (XFoster(PF/C), Jalen Suggs or Jalen Terry (PGs), Even Brauns (C)).

Again, Iowa needs more athleticism on the floor and better 3 point shooting.
I believe most you mentioned have maxed out under Fran. Expect more of the same next year.

More scholorships to offer is always a good thing.

If you dont think so, why not just use 10?

College bball has constant turnover no matter what. The more resources you have the better.

More ships allows for more risk taking and more ability to correct and recover from mistakes.

For instane, at one point Fran had to choose between Peter Jok and Jeremy Morgan, because he had Pat Ingram and Kyle Meyer taking up roster spots. See where having the option to add another guy comes in handy?

agree to disagree...we don't need or want 13 scholarship players plus the two McCaffery kids. Its a recipe for discontent and turmoil behind the scenes. Fran just needs to do better with the 10 or 11 scholarships he attempts to fill beyond his kids. Referencing the year where we only had one for Peter Jok...that was the result of taking too many the year before, not a case where having 14 would have been ideal. On two occasions Fran had the ability to balance out classes to a degree and he refused to do so. In 2012 we didn't need 5 and in 2015 we certainly didn't need 6 commitments. If Fran used all 13 scholarships on players not named McCaffery, he would simply be filling spots with bodies, not high level D1 players. The thought of 13 scholarship players plus the McCaffery boys might work well on XBox, but it doesn't translate well in real life.

Reactions: HawkOn15
Fran will be looking to upgrade talent level as he should but he won't be serious about it until the dust settles on who will be there next year.
Iowa still sits with the potential to lose Cook, Nunge, Pemsl and Dailey as have been mentioned. That leaves alot more than a quick penetrating 1,2 or 3 to add if they all leave.

Trey Burke but that was not the argument I was making. I don't believe its fair to withhold a scholarship from a kid who would have been recruited by a lot of other schools had it not been because A- he is interested in baseball or B- he is a coaches kid at major university. Connor is a player that deserves a scholarship based on what he did as a player.

Do we need an athletic point guard who can defend and make things happen on the offensive end, absolutely. But that doesn't mean I am okay with denying a kid on the roster a scholarship who deserves one.

Fair to who? Its his dads money one way or the other, and thats the only difference.

Connor isnt paying either way.

Fran will be looking to upgrade talent level as he should but he won't be serious about it until the dust settles on who will be there next year.
Iowa still sits with the potential to lose Cook, Nunge, Pemsl and Dailey as have been mentioned. That leaves alot more than a quick penetrating 1,2 or 3 to add if they all leave.

The potential to lose that many should make him more serious right now.

agree to disagree...we don't need or want 13 scholarship players plus the two McCaffery kids. Its a recipe for discontent and turmoil behind the scenes. Fran just needs to do better with the 10 or 11 scholarships he attempts to fill beyond his kids. Referencing the year where we only had one for Peter Jok...that was the result of taking too many the year before, not a case where having 14 would have been ideal. On two occasions Fran had the ability to balance out classes to a degree and he refused to do so. In 2012 we didn't need 5 and in 2015 we certainly didn't need 6 commitments. If Fran used all 13 scholarships on players not named McCaffery, he would simply be filling spots with bodies, not high level D1 players. The thought of 13 scholarship players plus the McCaffery boys might work well on XBox, but it doesn't translate well in real life.

The situation I referenced is EXACTLY why it helps to have more.

Fran took a chance on Ingram, Clemons and Meyer, which is fine. They didnt work though.

IF he could have shifted one guy off scholly to get a commitment from Morgan it would have worked out perfect. Because before that class even arrived the two bottom guys already left and we were back to the right number.

Its the same thing as how the SEC gains a big advantage in football by oversigning.

Do you understand what im saying?

Has nothing to do with keeping everyone happy.

You want the lower guys to cycle out, its best for both parties.

Reactions: kceasthawk
Would there be any interest in Mark Smith who is transferring from ILL? He'd have to sit out a year (atleast) coming from ILL and didn't have a great year as a freshman. Iowa didn't offer since no scholarships with Nunge and Garza.

This makes no sense. Why does it matter if Connor is on scholarship. Fran can pay and should pay if that means he can improve the team with another player. If we had finished at the top of the league it would be one thing, but as of now, we're at the bottom of the big ten. Another year of this and Fran will be on the hot seat.

As we stand now with Brady and Ahmad leaving, Connor will get 1 of those scholarships. That would leave for 2019 just 3 available scholarships (as long as we don't add anyone this Spring). And if Tyler Cook returns for 2 more years which is unlikely.

I think if everyone else returns we stand pat with what we have and focus on 2019 where we already have work done recruiting.

The flexible piece is that our 1 commit in 2019 is Patrick. Not saying he should walk-on ala Connor but that does add some flexibility to the situation.

One thing I don't like is that we have SIX soon to be juniors. Granted, they might not all graduate/be around in March 2020, but I never have liked these unbalanced classes where you have 5 or 6 departures in one year. Kentucky can afford to bring in 6 five star guys every year and do well; Iowa, which brings in mostly 3 star kids? Not so much.

The potential to lose that many should make him more serious right now.
About what position?
He knows he has one ride to work with and he should be looking to fill that. Everything else is up in the air from the out side. Fran likely has a pretty strong feeling about guys and what they are going to do. But losing all would be a lot of spots to fill.

As we stand now with Brady and Ahmad leaving, Connor will get 1 of those scholarships. That would leave for 2019 just 3 available scholarships (as long as we don't add anyone this Spring). And if Tyler Cook returns for 2 more years which is unlikely.

I think if everyone else returns we stand pat with what we have and focus on 2019 where we already have work done recruiting.

The flexible piece is that our 1 commit in 2019 is Patrick. Not saying he should walk-on ala Connor but that does add some flexibility to the situation.

If we don't add someone before next year I'll be completely shocked. Fran's job is on the line, he better find someone who can penetrate. Without it, it's just going to be more of the same.

If we don't add someone before next year I'll be completely shocked. Fran's job is on the line, he better find someone who can penetrate. Without it, it's just going to be more of the same.
If it was only that simple.
JW will drive the ball successfully at his position so he will help. Will Moss step up and do what hes capable of?
Will TC be there? Pemsl, Dailey, Nunge?
With no changes Iowa will be better. There is plenty lost production in the guys above to make a top level slashing 1 or 2 not much help to the team.
Can't imagine not adding someone that can dribble drive and defend well at 1-3 regardless of anyone else leaving.

In Men's basketball, you can have 13 on scholarship.

Here is a summary of the McCaffery era recruits:

Graduating Class : Players

Future Graduating Classes:

2023: 1--6'6" SF Patrick McCaffery (****)

Current Roster (11 currently on scholarship; 2 scholarship available):

2022 (Freshmen): 2--6'5" SG Joe Wieskamp (****); 6'4" SG CJ Fredrick (**)

2021 (Sophomores): 2--6'10" C Luke Garza (****); 6'9" F Jack Nunge (***)

2020 (Juniors): 6--6'8" PF Tyler Cook (****): 6'8" SF Cordell Pemsl (***); 6'9" PF Ryan Kriener (***); 6'0" PG Jordan Bohannon (***); 6'5" SF Isaiah Moss (***; ; was reshirted in 2015-16); 6'6" G Maishe Dailey (***)

2019 (Senior): 1--6'7" SF Nick Baer (was a preferred walk on his 2014-15 red shirt year and for the 2015-16 season; put on scholarship in March 2016)

Notable Walk on players:

2022 (Redshirt Freshman): 1--6'5" SG Connor McCaffery (****; announced on Apr 28, 2017 that he will play baseball in the Spring of 2018 and redshirt in basketball in the fall of 2017)

2021 (Sophomores): 2--6'6" Riley Till (redshirted in 2016-2017); 6'2" Guard Austiin Ash

Previous graduating classes and early departures:

2018: 3--6'8" SF Dominique Uhl (***) graduated; 6'4" SG Brady Ellingson (***; was redshirted in 2014-15 season) was scheduled to run out of eligibly at Iowa in 2019 but decided in March 2018 to transfer and play his final season elsewhere; 6'7" SF Ahmad Wagner (***) was scheduled to graduate in 2019 but in March 2018 he announced he was leaving basketball in order to give football a try.

2017: 3--6'6" SG Peter Jok; 6'8" PF Dale Jones (graduated; due to injury, was granted a 6th year of eligibility but that additional year would not be at Iowa; in Apr 2017 Jones committed to the University of North Dakota); 6'6" combo guard Christian Williams (***; was originally scheduled to graduate in 2019; on Thurs Oct 26, 2017, Williams asked for and was granted a release from his scholarship; Williams finished out his academic requirements for the fall 2017 semester before transferring)

2016: 6--PG Anthony Clemmons, PG Mike Gesell, C Adam Woodbury, SF Jarrod Uthoff; Two players granted release in March 2016: 6'6" SG Andrew Fleming (***, was set to graduate in 2019),6'6" SF Brandon Hutton (***; was redshirted in 2015-16; was set to graduate in 2020);

2015: 5--SG Josh Ogelsby, PF Aaron White, C Gabe Olaseni, SG Kyle Denning; PG Trey Dickerson quit/left the team on Feb 23, 2015

2014 (Fran's first recruiting class): 5--PF Melsahn Basabe, SG Devyn Marble, PF Zach McCabe, SF Darius Stokes (graduated & transferred), C Kyle Meyer (granted release & transferred; he redshirted his 2012 freshman season and therefore would have been se to graduate in 2017)

2013: 1--PG Patrick Ingram (would have been part of the 2016 graduation class; transferred in March 2013, after just one season at Iowa)

2012: 1--PG Bryce Cartwright (signed Letter of Intent on June 9, 2010). Bryce was the second recruit for McCaffery at Iowa (Melsahn Basabe, who initially signed with Siena, was Fran's first recruit; Basabe announced he was a Hawkeye on May 1, 2010). Cartwright joined already signed Iowa recruits Devyn Marble, Zach McCabe and Melsahn Basabe on the 2010-2011 roster.

I think a solid juco or transfer pg should be a top priority. An open scholarship might be a valuable asset later.

The worst option would be to spend a scholarship for another warm body to fill out the roster.

About what position?
He knows he has one ride to work with and he should be looking to fill that. Everything else is up in the air from the out side. Fran likely has a pretty strong feeling about guys and what they are going to do. But losing all would be a lot of spots to fill.

He has two to work with at minimum.

I think a solid juco or transfer pg should be a top priority. An open scholarship might be a valuable asset later.

The worst option would be to spend a scholarship for another warm body to fill out the roster.

Absolutely this. Some folks seem to think top quality players are easy to come by this late in the game. If you can get 1 or 2 impact players great, but if you bring in someone who may not even contribute and takes up a scholarship for 2-4 years you're better off giving it to Connor for a year and working on 2019 recruits.

Reactions: amahawk
Finding and signing a top notch PG that can handle and drive the ball would be the greatest asset to improve Bohannon's game (which is already pretty damn good!).
I do think you could then move JoBo to the 2 and Joe W to the 3; think of the scoring potential there, especially if you dump the ball down low to Cook or Garza and the ball gets kicked back out for an open 3?

Absolutely this. Some folks seem to think top quality players are easy to come by this late in the game. If you can get 1 or 2 impact players great, but if you bring in someone who may not even contribute and takes up a scholarship for 2-4 years you're better off giving it to Connor for a year and working on 2019 recruits.

That's obvious. But the point is, we need help and I hope Fran is working his ass off trying to get that help. If Fran isn't able to get help then I'm guessing Cook will be gone. If there's hope for a better season next year, Cook might stay. If we want to make the NCAA next year, we're going to need Cook and at least one additional player who can fill the hole in our offense and defense.

That's obvious. But the point is, we need help and I hope Fran is working his ass off trying to get that help. If Fran isn't able to get help then I'm guessing Cook will be gone. If there's hope for a better season next year, Cook might stay. If we want to make the NCAA next year, we're going to need Cook and at least one additional player who can fill the hole in our offense and defense.

I get that, but it just isn't that easy. For 2018 HS guys, the vast majority of highly rated guys that would even consider Iowa are probably committed or signed. The JUCO ranks are always a crap shoot (remember Dickerson was a pretty highly rated JUCO guy), and any grad transfer worth much is going to be sought after by tons of programs who have transfers happening as well. I don't disagree with you at all, but some here just seem to think this is a "duh, this is what he needs to do" simple thing to fix.

Connor deserved the first Scholly. Second goes to greatest area of need. I'm sure the coaches know where that is.

Connor deserved the first Scholly. Second goes to greatest area of need. I'm sure the coaches know where that is.
Did anyone listen to Tom Kakert’s latest podcast?
He thinks getting a transfer PG is a very tough uphill battle because of one thing: the coach’s son plays that position.

He thinks getting a transfer PG is a very tough uphill battle because of one thing: the coach’s son plays that position.
Unproven that he can stay healthy. And you never have too many guards especially at Iowa where Connor may be the only point guard. JBo can move to the 2 some as well as Connor. And they can’t play all the minutes.

yep, and this issue will exist until the day he graduates or announces he is committing to baseball full-time. The double edged sword of bringing in your son, regardless of ranking. Opposing coaches will be focusing on this dynamic with any recruit we are battling for and its a legitimate concern for any player. Connor is free to do what he wants, but I would think its in his best interest to commit to one sport instead of trying to play both. Not only did he wear himself out trying to do both this past year, it limits his growth in both by splitting time. Oh well...his choice not ours. Fran needs to win and win now...its up to him to figure it out...no excuses next year.

Deserves?

Whats the difference to him?

Again its Frans money and im going to guess that his priority is doing whatever helps him win and thus keep his job.

We don't need a "point guard" per se. We need a 6" 2' to 6" 5' guard who can defend the other teams strongest on ball perimeter player and threaten a defense off the bounce. A non-criminal Pierre Pierce would be ideal. Or a rich man's Maishe Dailey. You plug that player in the backcourt with JBO and the frontcourt is filed with shooting. I'd also consider getting a really athletic, garbage man type big as a rotation player if Cook and perhaps another big transfers. We need more dog on this team. More guys that like to defend, and scrap, and fight.

I get that, but it just isn't that easy. For 2018 HS guys, the vast majority of highly rated guys that would even consider Iowa are probably committed or signed. The JUCO ranks are always a crap shoot (remember Dickerson was a pretty highly rated JUCO guy), and any grad transfer worth much is going to be sought after by tons of programs who have transfers happening as well. I don't disagree with you at all, but some here just seem to think this is a "duh, this is what he needs to do" simple thing to fix.

A plus for a one year grad transfer if that if they don't pan out they are gone after one season.

A plus for a one year grad transfer if that if they don't pan out they are gone after one season.

Yep, if nothing else you can take a stab on some one year guards with basically no risk.

After a 19 loss season theres a ton of stuff you need to change.

Reactions: amahawk
We don't need a "point guard" per se. We need a 6" 2' to 6" 5' guard who can defend the other teams strongest on ball perimeter player and threaten a defense off the bounce. A non-criminal Pierre Pierce would be ideal. Or a rich man's Maishe Dailey. You plug that player in the backcourt with JBO and the frontcourt is filed with shooting. I'd also consider getting a really athletic, garbage man type big as a rotation player if Cook and perhaps another big transfers. We need more dog on this team. More guys that like to defend, and scrap, and fight.

This was my thinking as well. Someone who can handle the ball at times or when needed. Someone who can guard the other team’s best perimeter threat.

An (on the court) Pierre Pierce would be awesome. I just don’t know how many of those type of guys are available and interested in Iowa. I’d like to think Moss could be that guy if the light would stay on for him.

I hope you are right. I have been on Dailey’s side since the beginning. Length, athleticism, the ability to defend, etc. I think he has the potential to make huge strides but will all of the smoke around him it makes me nervous.

As far as Cook goes, I just think differently than many here. What he needs to work on can be improved. What can’t be improved is an NBA (or overseas) body and elite athleticism. In what was an otherwise awful year, his electricity made watching him must see TV. I have probably been a fan too long and expect the worst and hope for the best.
I listened to the latest HR Podcast and they were talking that 2 more guys might leave besides the 2 that are officially gone (Brady, Wagner)

Cook might indeed be gone (where he goes somewhere to get paid, even if its Europe)

I was surprised to hear that Cordell might be on the fence about leaving; is it about playing time or is something else going on?

Reactions: jellyfish10
I would argue Cook being all in to show everyone that he can play defense and he is an NBA guy would elevate this team. If he leads they will follow.

while I agree just a guard (as you described) would be great, it doesn't help JBo when it comes to bringing the ball up. JBo is working his a$$ off just getting the ball across court. That's why he has so many turnovers.

yep, and this issue will exist until the day he graduates or announces he is committing to baseball full-time. The double edged sword of bringing in your son, regardless of ranking. Opposing coaches will be focusing on this dynamic with any recruit we are battling for and its a legitimate concern for any player. Connor is free to do what he wants, but I would think its in his best interest to commit to one sport instead of trying to play both. Not only did he wear himself out trying to do both this past year, it limits his growth in both by splitting time. Oh well...his choice not ours. Fran needs to win and win now...its up to him to figure it out...no excuses next year.
While I'd agree to much of your comment, I'm not sure he "wore himself out" doing both. I don't think he even played baseball last season, did he? He injured his ankle, (practicing basketball), then got sick with mono, then tonsils, and lost a lot of weight.

Reactions: RocknRollface
No matter how good the McCaffrey boys end up playing in basketball, it doesn't seem wise for a coach to add their own kin to the roster. Not that that hasn't been said before...I just hope it all works out in the end because things are kind of ugly right now as it is.

Why would you give Connor a scholarship? His dad makes millions at the school. They gave him a ten year contract. I assume he don’t want to use a scholly on his own kid when he can just
Pay for it and keep a schooly for a different player

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT