ADVERTISEMENT

2013: Beginning of the Anxious Generation

alaskanseminole

HB Legend
Oct 20, 2002
It's interesting, my son just had a GT project where the students were tasked with creating a self-likeness, capturing the idea of what people see on the outside vs what is on the inside. Monday night was the showcase for parents. These are 6th graders, mind you, and every single one of them mentioned some sort of internal anxiety. :(

Anyone read his book?

book-both.webp

Amazon Link

Good thing everyone in my neighborhood kicks their kids out of the house and doesn't let them on until bed time. Most days last summer I didn't know exactly where my 6 yr old was, but knew it was one of 8 houses. The kids govern themselves when outside.

My kids struggle with this very thing. The amount of communication they do from their phones is atrocious (we all do it no matter our age).

My daughters have sports and enjoy being social in person, but it's not like when I was their age. My son isn't interested. He has his friend group that game and that is how they interact. I do make all of them get outside a few hours a day but they bitch about it. It's certainly an issue, but something I hope they'll grow out of with age

My daughter and her husband have two children, one in
8th grade and one a junior in high school. They live in a
suburban neighborhood with plenty of friends their own
age. The 8th grade boy is friends with guys who play
sports and enjoy outdoor activities. The 11th grade girl
is friends with gals who are in drama club and chorus.

Both of my grandchildren are high honor roll students
who enjoy life and their friends. I do not detect any
abnormal anxiety in them. They have loving parents
and good friends which makes a big difference in their lives.

That means little really. My kids were honor roll kids who were active in sports.
Their grandparents still don't know the issues they went thru with anxiety and depression.
Typically the brighter the kids are the more likely it is they're dealing with issues like this.

I’ve been beating this social media drum for a long time now. You have the anxious generation and suicide rates skyrocketing for the young folk, especially young girls. Then you have the boomers that believe everything they read and you get a lot of the MAGA Q weirdos.

I’ve been beating this social media drum for a long time now. You have the anxious generation and suicide rates skyrocketing for the young folk, especially young girls. Then you have the boomers that believe everything they read and you get a lot of the MAGA Q weirdos.

To me you really can't avoid the generation they're going to grow up in. Like every generation, they have to know they can go and talk with someone (maybe different than a parent) no matter what. I preach to my kids they can tell me anything, and even if it upsets me initially, it's nothing we can't work through. NOTHING is worth suicide.

Reactions: BelemNole
Having an emotional disorder today is like a golden key that unlocks all sorts of doors to things like better seats on airplanes, special accommodations at work, being put on suicide watch at the hospital, etc.

It used to be seen as a sign of weakness but now it's a special super power. Just say, "I HAVE A DISABILITY!" and watch everyone scurry around to cater to you.

Having an emotional disorder today is like a golden key that unlocks all sorts of doors to things like better seats on airplanes, special accommodations at work, being put on suicide watch at the hospital, etc.

It used to be seen as a sign of weakness but now it's a special super power. Just say, "I HAVE A DISABILITY!" and watch everyone scurry around to cater to you.
^^^^ x 10

Didn't your wife have some health issues you catered your vacation around? Maybe put down the rocks in your glass house?

Why do you hate the ADA? It gives you job security in HR.

Don't forget middle-aged MLM moms.

Reactions: BrunoMars420
Didn't your wife have some health issues you catered your vacation around? Maybe put down the rocks in your glass house?

The ADA is waaaaaay too gray and not black and white (compare and contrast with the FMLA).

What does "reasonable" mean? What does "undue hardship" mean? Congress didn't define those weasel words so the lawyers are allowed to make bank shaking employers down.

• Haha

Also, my wife did not ask for nor did she receive any sort of accommodation for her health condition on our vacation.

• Haha
My kids struggle with this very thing. The amount of communication they do from their phones is atrocious (we all do it no matter our age).

My daughters have sports and enjoy being social in person, but it's not like when I was their age. My son isn't interested. He has his friend group that game and that is how they interact. I do make all of them get outside a few hours a day but they bitch about it. It's certainly an issue, but something I hope they'll grow out of with age
I think we're losing way too much male creative energy to video games and other similar technology.

Reactions: alaskanseminole
I think we're losing way too much male creative energy to video games and other similar technology.
Kinda weird flex. We are losing all kinds of human energy focused on the wrong things. Our culture is hyper focused on social media and getting recognition from others. We are on the decline. Just happy to be at the start of the drop rather than the bottom.

Reactions: The Tradition

And they have a large number of families who fit the profile you just provided.
Two parent families - or a family with involvement by both parents who are not together - goes a very long way in creating a good atmosphere for children.

Reactions: LuteHawk
You were doing great until you threw out “Boomers that believe everything”.
Not so fast my friend.

Take your kids fishing.

If you don't know how to fish, it will be good for them to watch your learn something and take it on.

If you do, it will get them out and about and let them overcome small obstacles like a snagged line while also teaching them to just ****ing relax and let the bait do it's Job.

Take your kids fishing.

• Love
Take your kids fishing.

If you don't know how to fish, it will be good for them to watch your learn something and take it on.

If you do, it will get them out and about and let them overcome small obstacles like a snagged line while also teaching them to just ****ing relax and let the bait do it's Job.

Take your kids fishing.
I hate fish, but I always enjoyed fishing with my Papaw. ...loved being out on the water. Sports seems to be our best "get the boy out" activity. Driving up to Dallas to watch the FSU hurricane refugees get smashed by SMU this weekend. ;)

Technology can be used for creativity. We're losing males with the ability to be social if not behind a screen
Definitely. I probably should have said to technology. (Although even then I have to wonder about how much of that is lost to game)

Something like musicianship, for example, would seem to have suffered.

Feel free to trade your addiction for anxiety (from withdrawal) anytime. Let me know if it unlocks any special doors for you.

Last edited:
He is pretty spot on. The problem is phones.
This^
But I’ll say technology in general.
Suicide rates for 10-14 year olds has jumped 400% in the last 10 years.
Why is that?
There is no rest or safe space for kids when being bullied. Especially when they are so dependent of their phones/technology.
Most of us were bullied one way or another growing up. But it basically stopped once you were home, or with friends or playing game/sports or hanging out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT