ADVERTISEMENT

2016 commit Pemsyl

Hawkeye2222

HR MVP
Dec 21, 2014
is listed as a SF by Rivals, is this his projected ending position or is it a temporary position? based on them listing him at 6'7?

if so then Rackovic as a PF looks pretty good and Santos is the best available player to go with a PG.

talk is Pemsyl is up to 6'8 235 lbs and is still growing, and Rakovic is 6'10 200 lbs and is still growing, someone mentioned Rapolus a 6'8 200 lbs would be a better player than Rakovic. but I don't see how, if anybody has videos on these 2 it would be greatly appreciated if they could be posted.

You can get video on Cordell Pemsl by Googling him and looking for his various videos. Probably the same for most recruits.

Originally posted by Hawkeye2222:

don't have Google. that's why I asked.
So, you have internet, can post on this site, but you can't go to google and research? Hmmm, never heard that one before.

How do you know he is still growing?

You see this posted frequently with regard to recruits.

is listed as a SF by Rivals, is this his projected ending position or is it a temporary position? based on them listing him at 6'7?

if so then Rackovic as a PF looks pretty good and Santos is the best available player to go with a PG.

talk is Pemsyl is up to 6'8 235 lbs and is still growing, and Rakovic is 6'10 200 lbs and is still growing, someone mentioned Rapolus a 6'8 200 lbs would be a better player than Rakovic. but I don't see how, if anybody has videos on these 2 it would be greatly appreciated if they could be posted.
Hawkeye2222... I am the Hawk fan that has been promoting Rapolas Ivanauskas over Nicolas Rakocevic. Ivanauskas has really improved his game since last summer. Rap has a more complete inside /outside game and moves quicker and displays more vertical leap than Rakocevic. I've seen Rap play 5 times this winter and Nic twice ( Often in Chicago area on weekends and I love good hs basketball).

Don't just take my word. Joe Henricksen of the Chicago Sun Times HS sports journalist has a great eye for talent and he was among the first to comment on Fran McCaffery's recruitment of Tyler Ulis as a star in the making (Ulis, I mean). Joe, with Mike O'Brien (Another HS sports reporter), consider Rap #1 in the IL HS class of 2016 right now with Nic at #2 and Barrett Benson and Zack Norvell as the other top 4 current top BB talent in the state of IL (Charlie Moore and Micah Bradford will need to show more on the AAU circuit this summer to narrow the talent gap). Joe figures Rap will rise in the scouting reports to the top 50, maybe top 40. Nic is at best top 75 right now.

Rap can play SF like Uthoff or White or Sam Dekker as Rap handles the ball decently and can shoot the 3 ball very well. He can fill in the PF at times but needs to get bigger as he has some trouble with bigs that are more physically developed. Rap has played this year with average quality guards and faced many double teaming defenses, unlike Nic whose St. Joseph's club had Glynn Watson and Jordan Ash (2 2015 D1 scholarship guards) to balance out the defensive pressures. Another reason to prefer Rap over Nic. Rap is still growing at 6'9" 200. Rap seems like he has a higher talent ceiling. His father was a professional BB player for Lithuania.

As far as Pemsl, I'd heard he is most likely a PF 1st. He could grow into a center is he grows another 2 inches or more. Real PFs that can take the banging wars in the paint that MSU and tO$U dish out are never in excess supply at Iowa. Pemsl seems to be good friends of Tyler Cook from MO. Tyler is also friends (twitter/social media) with AJ Epensena and 2018 Michael Porter, Jr.

Originally posted by torbee:

If you send me a check for $9.99, I will mail you a floppy disk with the Google Machine on it.

You're welcome.
Hold on. Before you write a check, my offer is $4.99 plus S&H.

I will give you google free and give you a replica #23 jersey of Doug Thomas and Duez Henderson.

whoa.jpg

Originally posted by torbee:

If you send me a check for $9.99, I will mail you a floppy disk with the Google Machine on it.

You're welcome.
Better yet I'll pitch in an Internet install disc. Comes with 1000 free hours too.

Originally posted by TheHawkeyeDudeAbides:

Hawkeye2222... I am the Hawk fan that has been promoting Rapolas Ivanauskas over Nicolas Rakocevic. Ivanauskas has really improved his game since last summer. Rap has a more complete inside /outside game and moves quicker and displays more vertical leap than Rakocevic. I've seen Rap play 5 times this winter and Nic twice ( Often in Chicago area on weekends and I love good hs basketball).

Don't just take my word. Joe Henricksen of the Chicago Sun Times HS sports journalist has a great eye for talent and he was among the first to comment on Fran McCaffery's recruitment of Tyler Ulis as a star in the making (Ulis, I mean). Joe, with Mike O'Brien (Another HS sports reporter), consider Rap #1 in the IL HS class of 2016 right now with Nic at #2 and Barrett Benson and Zack Norvell as the other top 4 current top BB talent in the state of IL (Charlie Moore and Micah Bradford will need to show more on the AAU circuit this summer to narrow the talent gap). Joe figures Rap will rise in the scouting reports to the top 50, maybe top 40. Nic is at best top 75 right now.

Rap can play SF like Uthoff or White or Sam Dekker as Rap handles the ball decently and can shoot the 3 ball very well. He can fill in the PF at times but needs to get bigger as he has some trouble with bigs that are more physically developed. Rap has played this year with average quality guards and faced many double teaming defenses, unlike Nic whose St. Joseph's club had Glynn Watson and Jordan Ash (2 2015 D1 scholarship guards) to balance out the defensive pressures. Another reason to prefer Rap over Nic. Rap is still growing at 6'9" 200. Rap seems like he has a higher talent ceiling. His father was a professional BB player for Lithuania.

As far as Pemsl, I'd heard he is most likely a PF 1st. He could grow into a center is he grows another 2 inches or more. Real PFs that can take the banging wars in the paint that MSU and tO$U dish out are never in excess supply at Iowa. Pemsl seems to be good friends of Tyler Cook from MO. Tyler is also friends (twitter/social media) with AJ Epensena and 2018 Michael Porter, Jr.
Here's a nice video of Rapolas Ivanauskas. Some nice face-up 4 skills- great shooter and driver with some post plays as well. Physical player. I'd love to have him.

Rapolas Ivanauskas

Originally posted by Herkster5:

So, you have internet, can post on this site, but you can't go to google and research? Hmmm, never heard that one before.
He tried Googlye and Pemsyl and came up with "no records found".
tired.r191677.gif

Thanks for actually adding something interesting HawkeyeDude. I love first hand accounts on recruits.

Pemsl sounds more like a PF in our system, who can take other PF's to the wing and exploit them. I don't think he has the foot speed to play SF - he's slower / less agile than White or Uthoff, but still pretty good for a PF. His athleticism is good but not great (think Jok for his position) - he's dangerous because the combination of his skill set and size will allow him to create mismatches on offense imo.

Not flashy but very effective on offense - a bit like Niang in that regard. Would likely be average on defense against other PF's.

This post was edited on 3/9 4:03 PM by DanHawkPella

Rakocevic is listed at 6'10 12th best Center in the 2016 class, but I keep forgetting you people know more that those that get paid to evaluate these players,

and most of you never gave White credit for being athletic, so I will guess that Rakocevic is more than athelitic enough. more importantly Fran likes this kid and had him in for a visit, these are Rakocevic's offers to date,

Florida
UCLA
USC
Wisconsin
Illinois
Indiana
Miami Fla.
Purdue
Virginia
Xavier
Iowa

yeah I can tell why you don't want him. lets let him go to Wisconsin because a few posters on HR don't think he is good enough for IA. and he is another player out of Chicago, nope don't want or need those types.

lets abandon the Chicago area.

SW no I am not arguing with myself just pointing out how foolish Hawk dude looks with his comments about Rap is more desirable than Rak is, and Rap has these for offers

Creighton
IA
NW

compare the offers and tell me all those other coaches DON'T know what they are doing. I am always told to judge players by who offers as to how they are.

if pointing out one players ability over another is considered arguing with oneself, then you have the problem not me.

also Rak is 65th overall by Rivals before the spring/summer evals begins or is hawkdude claiming that Rak can't/won't improve as well?

Ogelsby was ranked ahead of White. Balance of life. Rankings are flimsy. I'd be fine with either at this point. Both look capable and have sweet names.

Don't let 'em get to you 2222. Keep on posting and asking questions. From what I've seen/heard Pemsl has a good PF body. I don't see him as a true center as he's not a tremendous shot blocker; however, he could give a few minutes here and there. Now, if he gets to 6'10" or so that's anither story.

Have a great evening!

This post was edited on 3/9 6:07 PM by mstp1992

Originally posted by StormHawk42:
Ogelsby was ranked ahead of White. Balance of life. Rankings are flimsy. I'd be fine with either at this point. Both look capable and have sweet names.
I'm good with getting both in the same class. Pemsl, Santos, Rakocevic, Ivanauskas and a PG (with a carry over scholarship from 2015) would be a killer class. In addition to a point, you get another guy capable of giving a few minutes there (Santos), three guys capable of playing on the wing as a hybrid 3/4 (KJS, NR and RI), three guys capable of giving minutes down low (CP, NR and RI) and two guys that will confuse the hell out of Dolph when he tries to pronounce their names...Rakocevic and Ivanauskas.

Use both scholarships left this year on a grad transfer (hopefully a White clone) and a PG, a normal transfer that needs to RS would be great.

Rakocevic is listed at 6'10 12th best Center in the 2016 class, but I keep forgetting you people know more that those that get paid to evaluate these players,

and most of you never gave White credit for being athletic, so I will guess that Rakocevic is more than athelitic enough. more importantly Fran likes this kid and had him in for a visit, these are Rakocevic's offers to date,

yeah I can tell why you don't want him. lets let him go to Wisconsin because a few posters on HR don't think he is good enough for IA. and he is another player out of Chicago, nope don't want or need those types.

lets abandon the Chicago area.
This is why you don't win many popularity contests around here. You take an opinion contrary to your own, and twist it to minimize the poster(s). I don't know about the other threads, you disagreed in, but in this thread, TheHawkeyeDude spelled out why he preferred Rap pretty well, and he's seen them both in person. I imagine not every recruiting analyst can say the same thing, or that they were focused on those players if they did catch them. I think most of us would be happy with either Rak, or Rap, even though it may take a while to learn how to spell their names.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Fran is in on a number of good prospects in 2016. We'd be lucky to get many who have Iowa offers at this point. I still think we end up with T.J. Leaf after he see's what Swanigan will do next year in an Iowa uniform.
happy0017.r191677.gif

not here to win any popularity contests. and I just offered my opinion as a rebuttal. and I am sure those coaches that have offered Rak vs Rap have seen them more than he has. and in this case I will trust BO over Dude any day. coaches get paid to watch recruits then offer those the feel will help them win,

yes I know Fran has offered Rap but it was/is Rak that was in for the visit and he was teammates with Moss on the AAU team Mac Irvin Fire and they both were in for the NW game,

most of the interview on the front page is open to read before it goes premium, try reading it, its very eye opening. ability on him.

Nick Rakocevic sounds like a great match for the Hawks. Decent size, good stroke and can move with the ball. I'm in!

If Pemsl grows to 6'9 he will be a PF... If he stays at current size he will need to slim up and get better at running the floor. He has a PF body type and game, so he will be a WIP if he doesn't grow.

Rankings don't mean much, but I looked at some highlights and here are my thoughts...

Rakocevic moves very well at 6'9... He has great range and a smooth stroke for his height. Best quality is probably his ball handling. When you have high school kids that size you can usually see they struggle handling the ball when pressured. He can take guys off the dribble and he keeps that ball waist high and tight to his outside hip, which is impressive. Like I said he moves very well and can make the baseline drive to the rim with contact much like Aaron White. His biggest issue... He has Woodbury hops. He takes baby hops rather than jumping. Someone needs to teach these big boys to use those legs and get some muscle.

Ivanauskus... If you watch his sophomore highlights compared to his junior highlights it is night and day difference. As a sophomore he looked content to shoot outside and that mainly was because he looked extremely awkward dribbling the ball and was afraid of the contact. If you watch him as a Junior he attacks off the dribble, goes behind his back off the dribble, takes the contact, and can finish on any part of the court. The biggest issue I see with him and likely why his recruitment has been pretty minimal thus far... Minimal recruiting video footage and his shot... He has a nice shooting stroke, but it takes him a good 2 seconds to fire up a shot. In a Major conference he will be a tall 3 or a undersized 4 at 6'8 and he would not get many good looks because defenders are going to close out well and be similar in height. He needs to start with the ball higher in his shot and get some muscle. He has good vision.

Pemsl is more physically ready than either of these guys. At this point I would prefer Rakocevic because you don't have to worry about spending a year or two changing his shot and he is taller.

Originally posted by maxstabs13:

Ivanauskus... The biggest issue I see with him and likely why his recruitment has been pretty minimal thus far... Minimal recruiting video footage and his shot... He has a nice shooting stroke, but it takes him a good 2 seconds to fire up a shot. In a Major conference he will be a tall 3 or a undersized 4 at 6'8 and he would not get many good looks because defenders are going to close out well and be similar in height. He needs to start with the ball higher in his shot and get some muscle.
I haven't seen any recent clips, so maybe he's fixed this, but in the videos I've seen he has kind of a weird shoulder turn with his shot. As he's shooting, his right shoulder moves forward and kind of rotates towards his other shoulder. Now, that doesn't mean it's a problem, but when you see people with a quirk in their form, it always makes you wonder if they can be consistent without fixing it.

Now, as I've said, I'd take him in a heartbeat, hopefully to go along with Rakocevic and not instead of (I want both to be Hawks). It's more just something to keep an eye on.

Dawson for MSU was/is only 6'6 and he has done very well, and don't forget Basabe was only 6'7 and did fine barring injuries, Pemsyl does NOT HAVE TO BE 6'9 to be a good PF like so many of you claim.

Dawson for MSU was/is only 6'6 and he has done very well, and don't forget Basabe was only 6'7 and did fine barring injuries, Pemsyl does NOT HAVE TO BE 6'9 to be a good PF like so many of you claim.
How tall was Reggie Evans or Greg Brunner? I agree its not all about height. IF the kid is 6-7, 6-9 and can bruise down low, that's all you need. Someone who can bang down low and collect 6-9 rebounds a night and also score 8-10pts a game. Doesn't need to be a 30pt scorer every night.

Personally would like to see a 6-7 to 6-9 athlete at our PF position. Woodie is a good big man, but lacks in the "athletic" department. Iowa needs a guy who can play the post at times, but also step out and hit the 3 ball at times. Someone who can also attack the rim from the wing. White has really improved and gotten a lot better. He is able to combine his outside game, with his inside set up. Tough to guard when he is hitting from outside.

I think even at 6'7" Pemsl can be a good PF. He's a wide body in the mold of Greg Brunner. Now, if he continues to grow to 6'9" or taller, then his ceiling gets really high.

Ahmad Wagner is 6'7" but built very strongly and a quick leaper. I'd love to have a stellar "true" center (like everyone else), but feel pretty comfortable if we can get a good, even serviceable center to complement the other players.

Pemsyl is supposed to be 6'8 now, sure I would love to see him grow to 6'9 - 6-10 as reports are the Dr's said he has room to grow a couple more inches, even White went into his SR season at 6'6 and came into the PTL at 6'8 3/4 before toping out at 6'9, so the chances are very good that Pemsyl will/could be 6'9 when he gets here. Rakocevic went into his JR season at 6'9 and now is at 6'10, JR Koch at 6'11 was a pretty good PF for Dr. Tom at shooting the 3. plus he was not 250 lb gorilla it seems so many feel that Fran needs to get.

Fran seems to want the fast athletic with solid skills in dribbling and shooting. Uthoff is only 210 lbs at 6'9, Uhl is 198 lbs at 6'8. even White is only 225 lbs at 6'9.

Pemsl (not Pemsyl) is a solid 6-8, 230. I think that is his top height, but who knows. He is not a flashy player, but is a super rebounder, passer and effective scorer. He will not dazzle you with his amazing acrobatics. He's pretty strong right now, but in the next year and a half he needs to work on his strength and speed.

He sounds alot like Niang. If he contributes half of what Niang has since he showed up, I'll be satisfied.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT