ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Hawkeyes ... breaking stereotypes

ghostOfHomer777

HR Heisman
May 20, 2014
Stereotype - Hawkeye QBs only check to runs to the left or right of the formation.

Against IU alone, Stanley was checking to passes all the time ... at least one of which went for a TD. This stereotype is patently false ... however, I do believe it's true that the coaches give younger QBs much simpler reads and plays to check to (so that they're not overwhelming them with info).

Stereotype - The Hawkeyes cannot handle blitzes - and our passing game cannot test opponents vertically.

Opposing Ds have been throwing all sorts of pressures at the Hawks and the OL, TEs, and RBs have done a darn solid job of helping to protect the QB. Consequently, the Hawks have truly been stretching the field this year!

Stereotype - The Hawks play strong fundamental D ... but the QB can get too comfortable in the pocket.

The Hawks are at the half-way point of the season ... and are sitting at 20 sacks! Even just watching the past two games ... the young QBs we've faced were frequently forced to throw the ball sooner than they wanted to ... due to pressure!

Any others that I'm missing?

Stereotype: Nothing to do in Iowa

Who wouldn't want to watch this team as of late, fun offense, sound fundamental defense??? Doesn't sound like nothing to me.

Stereotype: Iowa can't score more than 40 points.

Back-to-back games B****ES!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: ghostOfHomer777
I agree with you ghost... but also there is SOME truth to those stereotypes... or there was. I think this team has the ability that past teams didn't have to squash some of those stereotypes because they are just flat talented and well coached. Plus I think Brian is getting better at conducting the offense and knowing what to call and when.

Reactions: Harbinger273
I agree with you ghost... but also there is SOME truth to those stereotypes... or there was. I think this team has the ability that past teams didn't have to squash some of those stereotypes because they are just flat talented and well coached. Plus I think Brian is getting better at conducting the offense and knowing what to call and when.
I think that some of those stereotypes get propagated by fans based on what they see from a sparse data set.

For instance, every few years we need to break in a new QB ... consequently, we have to deal with a QB who is being "spoon fed" and being prepped as a game-manager first. Consequently, we tend to see very simple audibles AND obviously ball-security is being strongly encouraged .... so consequently the young QB feels more cautious about testing the D deep.

However, once the QB learns the O better and gains command of the team ... then the QB is given more freedom to play the role of the field-general. That gives the O a lot more adaptability. There become more audibles/checks available ... and the QB knows how to read the D better ... so he'll feel more comfortable throwing the ball deep more often. These facets of the game are representative of progression made by the QB ... and the initial limitations are not representative of the program, but rather representative of the QB in his developmental phase.

Similarly, concerning pressure on the QB ... the Hawks also place a premium on having the DL collapse the pocket in a controlled fashion. When we do so in a less controlled fashion ... that gives the QB lanes to scramble ... and that can lead to big play for the opposing O. Furthermore, the DL has to be wary about the run too ... so maintaining outside contain is always huge. A consequence of the above is that it often takes a while for the D-linemen to develop to a point where they can collapse the pocket quickly enough to disrupt the passer. The only way this is a signature of the program is our adherence to having D-linemen play disciplined, assignment football. However, as the D-linemen develop ... it tends to produce solid pass-rushes that are also pretty good at slowing the run.

Lastly, there is the issue of handling blitzes. I think that a lot of this is also reflective of the looks that the D gives the O during camp. When we abandoned our standing-linemen Radar-package ... I think that negatively impacted the exposure of our OL to facing defenders rushing from unpredictable places. However, Phil has re-instituted the look ... and consequently, the OL is doing A LOT better at picking up blitzers.

Here's a fun fact .... the only sack that Indiana got on Iowa was when they were rushing only 3 D-linemen, while playing a prevent D. Weird stuff, eh?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT