ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Recruiting

Just saw this thread. Now that Connor has declared he will redshirt, I think Dailey has no reason to transfer--and it wouldn't be good for Iowa if he did. He'll see minutes next year. Guards next year: Bohannon, Moss, Williams, Ellingson, and Dailey. You never know which of those guys will progress the most over the offseason and I sure as heck wouldn't want only four guards on the roster. I think Dailey has a future at Iowa even if it isn't as a starter (though you never know how he'll progress).

Last year minutes for returning so-called 1&2's...JBo (30) Moss (17) Ellingson (14) Williams (13) Dailey (8). Bohannon's minutes certainly wont go down (30) and neither will Moss IMO (17). I dont think Fran has given up on CW so I see him maintaining his (13)..

that leaves 80 less 60...20 minutes available..so there is playing time available for Dailey to fight for.. as well as anyone else. While a number of posters were sure someone would transfer (hasnt happen yet)...I totally agree a combo of Moss/Dailey at the "2" for 3 full years is not a bad thing.

Last year minutes for returning so-called 1&2's...JBo (30) Moss (17) Ellingson (14) Williams (13) Dailey (8). Bohannon's minutes certainly wont go down (30) and neither will Moss IMO (17). I dont think Fran has given up on CW so I see him maintaining his (13)..

that leaves 80 less 60...20 minutes available..so there is playing time available for Dailey to fight for.. as well as anyone else. While a number of posters were sure someone would transfer (hasnt happen yet)...I totally agree a combo of Moss/Dailey at the "2" for 3 full years is not a bad thing.

Playing couch coach a little, at first when I heard Connor will redshirt I was taken aback as I'd sort of penciled him in as backing up both guard spots.

This was one time, of many, where the board was right and my initial impression (I now think) was wrong. I agree with you, having Williams and Ellingson for two more years, and Bohannon, Moss and Dailey for three more? And Fran's plan of redshirting Connor? There must be something among our returning five that Fran is comfortable with.

And we like to have the talent spread out among the classes. This will give us two guards in 2018 as freshmen and we'll still have (if no transfers) five guards who are then upperclassmen.

Agree. The other thing people aren't thinking about are injuries. If Moss or Williams goes down, we'll be damn glad Dailey is there to pick up the slack. He didn't do anything special when he was on the floor, but he also didn't seem to make any glaring mistakes. His upside over time might be pretty good.

Just saw this thread. Now that Connor has declared he will redshirt, I think Dailey has no reason to transfer--and it wouldn't be good for Iowa if he did. He'll see minutes next year. Guards next year: Bohannon, Moss, Williams, Ellingson, and Dailey. You never know which of those guys will progress the most over the offseason and I sure as heck wouldn't want only four guards on the roster. I think Dailey has a future at Iowa even if it isn't as a starter (though you never know how he'll progress).

It wouldn't be stunning to see a player or 2 transfer after the 17-18 season. And it wouldn't mean that the sky is falling or chaos is setting in. It's what happens. There is no way a coach can give 13 guys meaningful minutes, it just doesn't happen. And with only 1 senior next year (Uhl) it's not like loads of new playing time will open up in 2018-19 for the guys who weren't in the rotation in 17-18. You could have a situation where Cook dominates and decides to go pros (good problem).

None of us have any idea of which or who might want to transfer, and I won't speculate on individual players. But will be interesting to see what happens.

It wouldn't be stunning to see a player or 2 transfer after the 17-18 season. And it wouldn't mean that the sky is falling or chaos is setting in. It's what happens. There is no way a coach can give 13 guys meaningful minutes, it just doesn't happen. And with only 1 senior next year (Uhl) it's not like loads of new playing time will open up in 2018-19 for the guys who weren't in the rotation in 17-18. You could have a situation where Cook dominates and decides to go pros (good problem).

None of us have any idea of which or who might want to transfer, and I won't speculate on individual players. But will be interesting to see what happens.

I agree with you for the most part. But since Connor is redshirting next year I hope Dailey doesn't leave. I could see someone up front, though. Hard to tell who, though. I hope they all stay, though. I like this team right now. I could guess maybe Kreiner, but he's an Iowa guy and he's more proven at this point than either Nunge or Garza. If they pass him on the depth chart, though? Maybe. I think he could become a poor man's Chris Street, though, by his upper class seasons if he stays and develops.

I could see this as Brady's last year at Iowa. No inside information. Just not unusual for somebody that is a bit further down on the depth chart to grad transfer out.

I am glad about the redshirt, if helps the logjam and gives opportunity too Dailey who may run with it. I also wonder if they can convince Garza to redshirt but he may help a ton in the post. Gonna be fun to watch.

I am glad about the redshirt, if helps the logjam and gives opportunity too Dailey who may run with it. I also wonder if they can convince Garza to redshirt but he may help a ton in the post. Gonna be fun to watch.

neither Garza or Nunge redshirts...they both bring a best.
Garza could be our best inside defender...he certainly will shoot a better FT% then what we saw last year.
Nunge IS our best big man outside shooter from 3..

neither will sit out...both will play.

neither Garza or Nunge redshirts...they both bring a best.
Garza could be our best inside defender...he certainly will shoot a better FT% then what we saw last year.
Nunge IS our best big man outside shooter from 3..

neither will sit out...both will play.

It will be interesting.

I dont pretend to have any idea how those front court minutes will get split up.

Lot of returning experienced players ahead of them.

Reactions: hawk-i bob
It will be interesting.

I dont pretend to have any idea how those front court minutes will get split up.

Lot of returning experienced players ahead of them.

yes its all a guess on my part as well. Redshirting does have merit but it does back up future recruiting classes by one year per each player that does redshirt - assuming the player doesnt transfer out. We only have 1 for next year...because Brady redshirted.

I could see this as Brady's last year at Iowa. No inside information. Just not unusual for somebody that is a bit further down on the depth chart to grad transfer out.

That's what I've thought as well, but I think that all still remains to be seen as how the rotation and minutes shake out, and also how Brady feels about competing for minutes when we add Joe and Connor. I'd think Grad Xfr might look really good at that point, but I also feel in a year or 2 how good might Brady become? He's a high % shooter, takes good shots. Having him on the floor to help space the floor while the young guns (Joe/Connor) get their feet wet would be a nice luxury to have.

Sometimes I'm my own worst enemy, but just to feed the monster called speculation. Let's say.....

Brady is on track to graduate. You know, Bielfeldt and Albrecht didn't exactly ride the pine at Michigan. And just like at Michigan, it is pretty clear that once you graduate Iowa is NOT bound to honor any extra eligibility you may have left. Doesn't mean one couldn't walk on, that's eligibility. But scholarship? As at Michigan and I suspect other places that's a whole different animal.

So let's say Brady is informed that his scholarship days are done after this coming season, so Connor can have one. Stick around as a walkon would be cool.

Now remember the thing Fran said last fall? "It'll all work out." Well it did, because Connor is a walkon. Nobody transferred but Jones. Surprising.

But what if this summer an A.C Green or (unlikely but) a Joey Hauser wants to come to Iowa if only we had a scholarship for him? Well dang, technically we aren't over-recruiting as Connor could remain a walkon. And Brady's scholarship promise of a degree is fulfilled, four years! Ya know, what are the odds nobody else leaves....

"Connor, we're going to play the odds again. It's all on me, I'll flip the bill if nobody else leaves."

There you go! Me, I'd prefer we just keep the thing open for Connor, and let Ellingson know (If indeed he is on track to graduate) that his scholarship is now in question for 2018/19 and he might want to plan on walking on or being a Grad Transfer. No more scholarship after this year unless someone transfers. It just makes things easier.

But, seriously, there could be a way we could take one more guy in 2018.

Last edited:
If the right guy wants to commit and Connor's scholarship is the only one available, I would be surprised if Fran doesn't pay his way. Not trying to start an endless debate about whether Connor deserves it. It is just a wild card that Fran has to play.

If the right guy wants to commit and Connor's scholarship is the only one available, I would be surprised if Fran doesn't pay his way. Not trying to start an endless debate about whether Connor deserves it. It is just a wild card that Fran has to play.

It's there if Brady graduates. Personally I think this whole thing is why they haven't offered Patrick. An offer is an offer...taken to mean with scholarship unless otherwise stated. Nothing set in stone...no official offer.

I would guess Dailey may be the most likely transfer.. Guy just isn't seeing the floor. There's nobody else that I'm really convinced there's a high likelihood of a transfer, but who knows.
Maybe we should see if he plays this season now that Jok has gone. When was he going to play last year.

Reactions: RocknRollface
It's there if Brady graduates. Personally I think this whole thing is why they haven't offered Patrick. An offer is an offer...taken to mean with scholarship unless otherwise stated. Nothing set in stone...no official offer.
I'm not sure that Patrick hasn't been offered, as much as he hasn't committed yet. I guess its all just a matter of semantics though.

Obviously true assumptions:
1) The McCaffery boys are going to Iowa.
2) Fran is willIng to pay their way to save schollys for recruiting.
Example: Nunge in 2017.

Let's look at what we know. If no one leaves early, Connor has to walk on in 2018. If someone does leave, other than Uhl, there is a scholly available for someone Fran wants to add to the roster for that year if he continues to pay for Connor. Fran is looking at other recruits in 2018, indicating he's considered this possibility.

Conclusion: Fran is willing to pay Patrick's tuition to save a scholly for recruiting too.

Confession: I was defensive about the idea of expecting Fran to pay for his sons to save scholarships. Also, I didn't think it would actually lead to the ability to stockpile players. However, for now it's obviously working and he's obviously willing. Go Fran! (His secret weapon's in his genesLol)

Let's look at what we know. If no one leaves early, Connor has to walk on in 2018. If someone does leave, other than Uhl, there is a scholly available for someone Fran wants to add to the roster for that year if he continues to pay for Connor. Fran is looking at other recruits in 2018, indicating he's considered this possibility.

Conclusion: Fran is willing to pay Patrick's tuition to save a scholly for recruiting too.

Confession: I was defensive about the idea of expecting Fran to pay for his sons to save scholarships. Also, I didn't think it would actually lead to the ability to stockpile players. However, for now it's obviously working and he's obviously willing. Go Fran! (His secret weapon's in his genesLol)

I agree with everything I've bolded above in this post. It's clear to me as well that Fran is going to leverage his unique, legal recruiting advantage of securing two top drawer recruits without consuming a ride for the betterment of his ball club.

Those boys owe a lot of thanks to Margaret's genes as well. :D

I'm their aau coach. Iowa is done recruiting for 2018. Joe and Connor will be in the 2018 class, so no more schollies. Hence, Hauser and Green to other colleges.

I'm their aau coach. Iowa is done recruiting for 2018. Joe and Connor will be in the 2018 class, so no more schollies. Hence, Hauser and Green to other colleges.

you mean you dont think they would consider a walkon spot?:p...thanks for info..ya pretty tough to recruit players when you are out of schollies.

may I ask..what do you think of DJ Carton? assuming u have seen him..

I'm sorry but no walkon roles for those two. DJ has gotten a lot bigger, stronger, and better the last couple years. I hear he's having a terrific spring, I haven't seen him since we're on different circuits. I like the kid out DeLaSalle in Minn. He's crafty, can shoot, and is really smooth. Plus he's been well coached for years.

That being said 2019 has a lot of good PG's in the Midwest. A lot!

Reactions: unclesammy
I know the Wisconsin coaching staff likes Carton and there's a decent chance he'll be receiving an offer in the next couple months. I assume an Iowa offer would be tough to beat though if that ever comes.

They also hired his high school coach
Wonder if they get Brian Bowen too. He is a McDonalds All American and plays for La Lumiere. Top teams for him are in no order Arizona, Creighton, DePaul, and MSU. The center on La Lumiere signed at Creighton too

Wonder if they get Brian Bowen too. He is a McDonalds All American and plays for La Lumiere. Top teams for him are in no order Arizona, Creighton, DePaul, and MSU. The center on La Lumiere signed at Creighton too
Only if they hire his high school coach

I still wish we had a tough in your face defensive minded player next year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT