ADVERTISEMENT

2020-22 is the Best 3 year Run Since 1987-89

I appreciate the past 3 years. My college days at Iowa included lute Olsons last years. So yea, old farts like me think Iowa can do better and get frustrated with the fans who settle.
Lute was a great coach, and he took a crappy program and built it into a good one. Sure would have liked him to stay around a while longer. Let' compare him to Fran.

Lute was at Iowa for 9 years and won 56% of B1G games (Fran 51%). Lute won a B1G title in 78-79 and lost in the first round of the Dance. In 9 years he made two S16s, including the magical F4 run. He also had two first round losses and a second round loss. Fran won the BTT title - four second round exits in the Dance.

Lute's best 3 years regular season run was 79-82 when he was 65-25 (72%) compared to Fran's 68-30 (69%). Lute's team lost in the first round twice and the second round once.

Lute was a better coach and had more accomplishments, including a final 4. He also bolted when he got the chance.

The difference in accomplishments is clear, but not overwhelming.

Since fans have no voice in the coaching hires, what you are saying is that the fans that "settle" are simply the fans that aren't angry.

Well, the 2020 team never got a chance to play. And you are implying that the 2021 and 2022 teams didn't "come to play" in the tournament.

The reality? All 5 teams "came to play" and they ALL eventually lost and failed in their goal of winning a National Championship.

And some more reality? Fran's teams in the 2020-22 three year span won a championship. Tom Davis' team did not, but I am not going to say or imply that if they had only come to play in each B1G game they would have won a B1G championship.
God you're a f'n loser. Try to spin it however you want but when Carver is a morgue yet again next year most of us will understand why and it's not the fans

Lute used to say that he loved showing recruits around the Iowa campus until they asked to see where they would play the games.

Lute was a great coach, and he took a crappy program and built it into a good one. Sure would have liked him to stay around a while longer. Let' compare him to Fran.

Lute was at Iowa for 9 years and won 56% of B1G games (Fran 51%). Lute won a B1G title in 78-79 and lost in the first round of the Dance. In 9 years he made two S16s, including the magical F4 run. He also had two first round losses and a second round loss. Fran won the BTT title - four second round exits in the Dance.

Lute's best 3 years regular season run was 79-82 when he was 65-25 (72%) compared to Fran's 68-30 (69%). Lute's team lost in the first round twice and the second round once.

Lute was a better coach and had more accomplishments, including a final 4. He also bolted when he got the chance.

Since fans have no voice in the coaching hires, what you are saying is that the fans that "settle" are simply the fans that aren't angry.
The NCAA tourney included 32 teams in 1978, 40 in 1979 and went to 48 in 1980

To be fair to lute, your first and second round games then were against tougher competition than todays round of 68.

Lute had a B1G regular season title (last one to do it at Iowa) and Two swee16's and a Final-4 in NCAA tourney at Iowa vs Fran 12 year career at Iowa with none of those things. In fact, Fran has zero sweet16's for a 26 year career which is pretty amazing stat...I would say the "the differences in accomplishments" is overwhelming in Lute's favor which is the opposite of your statement.

The good news is Fran is coming off his best 3 year run at Iowa and he finally got a BTT title after 12 years to bring his overall BTT record to about average at 9-10. The bad news is with his best 3 teams, Iowa is still a non-factor in NCAA tourney play. Sweet16 would be nice....give ISU had one just this year and UNI had one in 2010.

Fran is not on hot seat, so whether some fans are kind of "meh" when they look at his 12 year body of work or think he is the greatest thing to hit Iowa since Lute Olson, it doesn't matter. If both Murray's ends up making the NBA, we will wonder why they rarely played together at Iowa and then look at CMAC and PMAC with clipboards sitting on Iowa bench as assistant coaches and realize why.

Lute had a B1G regular season title (last one to do it at Iowa) and Two swee16's and a Final-4 in NCAA tourney at Iowa vs Fran 12 year career at Iowa with none of those things. In fact, Fran has zero sweet16's for a 26 year career which is pretty amazing stat...I would say the "the differences in accomplishments" is overwhelming in Lute's favor which is the opposite of your statement.

The good news is Fran is coming off his best 3 year run at Iowa and he finally got a BTT title after 12 years to bring his overall BTT record to about average at 9-10. The bad news is with his best 3 teams, Iowa is still a non-factor in NCAA tourney play. Sweet16 would be nice....give ISU had one just this year and UNI had one in 2010.

Fran is not on hot seat, so whether some fans are kind of "meh" when they look at his 12 year body of work or think he is the greatest thing to hit Iowa since Lute Olson, it doesn't matter. If both Murray's ends up making the NBA, we will wonder why they rarely played together at Iowa and then look at CMAC and PMAC with clipboards sitting on Iowa bench as assistant coaches and realize why.
One of those S16's was in the final four run. So, he had two good runs in the Dance compared to none for Fran.

If NCAA tourney results are the only metric, yeah Lute's record was much, much better.

Anyway - my post was in a response to a poster that got to enjoy the Lute years and is frustrated with Fran, indicating a vast difference.

Total body of work - he's still better, but I don't the difference is overwhelming.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Is that a bad mindset? No one cares we won the BTT.

No one.
That's one of the most ridiculous statements that I've ever read on these boards....and wow, that is saying something. it's so blatantly false.....are you trying the misinformation game? As in, since it doesn't fit what you want people to think, you try to say that "no one cares" to make other people believe it? Because that won't work......and if you read these boards earlier in the year there were A LOT of people who cared....bitching about Fran never doing anything in the B10 tournament.

It would be like if we get to the Sweet 16 next year and you come on here after that and say, "Big deal, no one cares. No one!" It's just complete BS

That's one of the most ridiculous statements that I've ever read on these boards....and wow, that is saying something. it's so blatantly false.....are you trying the misinformation game? As in, since it doesn't fit what you want people to think, you try to say that "no one cares" to make other people believe it? Because that won't work......and if you read these boards earlier in the year there were A LOT of people who cared....bitching about Fran never doing anything in the B10 tournament.

It would be like if we get to the Sweet 16 next year and you come on here after that and say, "Big deal, no one cares. No one!" It's just complete BS
😆

One of those S16's was in the final four run. So, he had two good runs in the Dance compared to none for Fran.

If NCAA tourney results are the only metric, yeah Lute's record was much, much better.

Anyway - my post was in a response to a poster that got to enjoy the Lute years and is frustrated with Fran, indicating a vast difference.

Total body of work - he's still better, but I don't the difference is overwhelming.
The only metrics you are smoking CRACK....he was better in the BIG and won more reg season titles to...Fran is a clown of a coach period!

regular seasons have been nice but I'm afraid a lot of us are of the"all that matters is the NCAA tournament" mindset
Most of the fans that believe all that matters is the NCAA tournament has never played basketball or played on a high school team or played in a state tournament let alone a national tournament. It’s rarely the best team that wins in these tournaments…it’s the most fortunate that catches some breaks. “Better to be lucky then good!”

The only metrics you are smoking CRACK....he was better in the BIG and won more reg season titles to...Fran is a clown of a coach period!
Yes, Lute won one regular season championship. And he won the equivalent of 9 more B1G games than Fran in his career.

I'm not arguing that Lute wasn't better. But, Lute was great, and Fran is a clown? Nah.

Is that a bad mindset? No one cares we won the BTT.

No one.

Perry, you nailed it.

I have already said it to him but we all should say good bye to @goodbyebobby

Well, the 2020 team never got a chance to play. And you are implying that the 2021 and 2022 teams didn't "come to play" in the tournament.

The reality? All 5 teams "came to play" and they ALL eventually lost and failed in their goal of winning a National Championship.

And some more reality? Fran's teams in the 2020-22 three year span won a championship. Tom Davis' team did not, but I am not going to say or imply that if they had only come to play in each B1G game they would have won a B1G championship.
You got ratio’d dude. Just take your L and go on.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
It has been a good run last 3 years but omg I just make it to the second weekend. I don't think I'm asking much . Even though I still love the Hawkeyes

Well Iowa just lost to a team in the tournament with zero NBA players and probably not one player who would even start for Iowa.☹
Gilyard ate our guards alive. He definitely could start (should) for the Hawks. But yes, your point stands.

Reactions: goodbyebobby

I just wish people could appreciate the last 3 years. Instead, there are too many replies with "but, but, but...."
You do realize that the only reason they play the regular season is to get enough wins to be able to play in the NCAA tournament!
I'm not even going into the Big Ten Tournament because I don't believe in it.
When you have teams with a consensus All-American three years in a row, 2 years because of Covid, and only win 1 game out of 3 in the NCAA Tournament, that's underachieving, no matter how you slice it, it's extremely disappointing. You get over it, but it's like the 87 tournament, you never forget it.
26 wins are quite an achievement for sure, but it's all for naught if you don't take advantage of it.....sadly, this whole season will be remembered for years to come for losing to a 12 seed Richmond in the 1st round. That's just the way it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: dekhawk
You do realize that the only reason they play the regular season is to get enough wins to be able to play in the NCAA tournament!
I'm not even going into the Big Ten Tournament because I don't believe in it.
When you have teams with a consensus All-American three years in a row, 2 years because of Covid, and only win 1 game out of 3 in the NCAA Tournament, that's underachieving, no matter how you slice it, it's extremely disappointing. You get over it, but it's like the 87 tournament, you never forget it.
26 wins are quite an achievement for sure, but it's all for naught if you don't take advantage of it.....sadly, this whole season will be remembered for years to come for losing to a 12 seed Richmond in the 1st round. That's just the way it is.
And this has little to do with this thread.

So a B1G regular season championship is worthless too? The Big Dance is obviously very important but I’d wager most Iowa fans would still take a regular season championship over a S16. Now, a Final Four appearance is another thing altogether….

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT