ADVERTISEMENT

2020 Position and Season Predictions

Let's get a f'n playmaker back there returning punts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
For sure, but at least Cooper fielded pretty much everything, and didn't let the ball roll for a -15 yards every time. Thats a big plus right there. Punt returns are difficult if you play a team with a punter that gets some hang time, the coverage guys are on top of you by the time you catch the ball.....

Reactions: WadeWilson
That's why the choice of Cooper was a little puzzling. He was a little shaky fielding some punts if I remember correctly.
Actually your memory is whats shaky. He caught everything, except the one in the bowl game, (which he recovered). The job he did fielding almost every punt, saved Iowa a ton of negative yards, something that was a huge problem with Ragini, letting a lot of punts hit the ground....

That's why the choice of Cooper was a little puzzling. He was a little shaky fielding some punts if I remember correctly.
Great hands was one of his biggest strength as a recruit if memory serves and he only had one punt that was muffed. No one is perfect but I think was definitely an upgrade, and I think has the quickness to make a quick move or two to make someone miss.

Schott, Ince, Banwart and Britt will almost certainly have a rotation, barring an injury. It would not surprise me if Plumb and Kallenberger do a little rotation as well, to get Plumb up to speed for 2021when Kallenberger takes over LT for Aleric.

I am rooting for Sebastian Castro to take control of SS. Unfortunately, that is usually the kiss of death for a kid’s career.

Colbert needs to get better at pass coverage and I am not sure he is fast enough to make that happen. Maybe with a repaired shoulder he can move to MLB and Niemann as the speedier option at Leo or Will. It would be great If Doyle or Campbell could really take control of MLB, that would be great.

It would be really good if Ragaini and Tracy get rid of their drops. I can’t help but think there is a roll for OM. We will see.

We need a pass rusher on 3rd and long opposite Joe Evans. Not sure who that will be.

The Ferentz philosophy is every punt return after safely fielding in the ball is just a bonus.

It'd be nice to have a more aggressive return game but I don't think that's coming.

Reactions: CarterHall
To be clear, those were my predictions of what will happen - not what I want to happen. My HOPES are for
*Oliver Martin to be worthy of becoming one of our top 3 WR...
*for Jestin Jacobs to be so good he earned a LB spot next to Campbell...
*for the weakside FR DE from Indianapolis to be big enough, tough enough, and good enough to be a major factor right away...
*for the light to come on for Dallas Craddieth to become the next Bob Sanders
*for Higgins be fast enough and disciplined enough to be a factor at SS instead of LB...
*for Iowa to do away with the fullback as we've known it and use TEs as H-backs...
*for Iowa to recruit and play bigger offensive linemen who are still mobile enough and employ - as situation calls for it - extra offensive lineman as TE blockers who can run an occasional route...
*for Banks like QBs who are pocket passers who can run an effective quarterback draw when needed for 10+ yards as a legitimate threat.

What I want to happen almost never happens but...

Reactions: tdstick and cm8124
I hope the Guard spots are completely open. No union cards or anything like that.

Probably a Schott, Banwart, Britt, and Ince battle. Personally I’d love to see Britt and Ince take a big leap forward.
Additionally, I'd like to see KF delegate some HC duties to BF during Spring/Fall practices, and have KF become co-OL coach during these months. Hopefully, this would reap rewards in blocking for the running game this season.

Colbert needs to get better at pass coverage and I am not sure he is fast enough to make that happen. Maybe with a repaired shoulder he can move to MLB and Niemann as the speedier option at Leo or Will. It would be great If Doyle or Campbell could really take control of MLB, that would be great.
A big part of that is really getting down the mental part of the game. When you know what to expect from your opponent (by digesting tape ... and putting it in the context of what it implies about your role and positioning within the D) - then you play faster and you're in the right place more often. When that happens, a player's production can really take off.

Colbert seems like he makes some really decent plays against the run ... but he needs to clean up the consistency in his overall game (just as you indicated ... particularly against the pass). Some of his issues certainly make sense ... especially considering he was still just a sophomore this past season.

It would be really good if Ragaini and Tracy get rid of their drops. I can’t help but think there is a roll for OM. We will see.

I think that you'll get your wish here ... we've seen some real improvement by Ihmir and Brandon in that area ... so I can only infer that we'll ultimately see comparable gains made by Tyrone and Nico. As for Martin ... a big part of that will be up to him.

Schott, Ince, Banwart and Britt will almost certainly have a rotation, barring an injury. It would not surprise me if Plumb and Kallenberger do a little rotation as well, to get Plumb up to speed for 2021when Kallenberger takes over LT for Aleric.

I am rooting for Sebastian Castro to take control of SS. Unfortunately, that is usually the kiss of death for a kid’s career.

We need a pass rusher on 3rd and long opposite Joe Evans. Not sure who that will be.

you think Golston isn’t a pass rusher???

2020 HAWKS
QB Spenser Petras/Hogan/Padilla
RB Tyler Goodson
(FB) Turner Pallissard
WR Ihmir Smith-Marsette
WR Brandon Smith
(WR) Tyrone Tracy, Jr.
(WR) Nico Ragiani
TE Sam LaPorta
(TE) Luke Lachey
LT Alaric Jackson
LG Justin Britt
C Tyler Linderbaum
RG Cole Banwart
RT Mark Kallenberger
K Keith Duncan
KR Ihmir Smith-Marsette

P Ryan Gersonde
PR Max Cooper
RE John Waggoner
DT Dayvion Nixon
DT Shannon
LE Chauncey Gholston
LB Nick Niemann/J.Jacobs
MLB Jack Campbell
(LB) Djimon Colbert
Cash Dane Belton
LCB Matt Hankins
RCB Julius Brents
SS J.Koerner
FS Kaeyvon Merriweather
(NB) Riley Moss
(DB) DJ Johnson

2020 HAWKS
QB Spenser Petras/Hogan/Padilla
RB Tyler Goodson
(FB) Turner Pallissard
WR Ihmir Smith-Marsette
WR Brandon Smith
(WR) Tyrone Tracy, Jr.
(WR) Nico Ragiani
TE Sam LaPorta
(TE) Luke Lachey
LT Alaric Jackson
LG Justin Britt
C Tyler Linderbaum
RG Cole Banwart
RT Mark Kallenberger
K Keith Duncan
KR Ihmir Smith-Marsette

P Ryan Gersonde
PR Max Cooper
RE John Waggoner
DT Dayvion Nixon
DT Shannon
LE Chauncey Gholston
LB Nick Niemann/J.Jacobs
MLB Jack Campbell
(LB) Djimon Colbert
Cash Dane Belton
LCB Matt Hankins
RCB Julius Brents
SS J.Koerner
FS Kaeyvon Merriweather
(NB) Riley Moss
(DB) DJ Johnson
Padilla will be considerably ahead of Hogan.

Reactions: mariner67
Additionally, I'd like to see KF delegate some HC duties to BF during Spring/Fall practices, and have KF become co-OL coach during these months. Hopefully, this would reap rewards in blocking for the running game this season.
Unless things have changed, KF has been co-OL Coach for years.

you think Golston isn’t a pass rusher???

If you think Golston is a great pass rusher, why do they move him inside on 3rd and long and bring in Joe Evans as the left side DE?

Don’t get me wrong, I hope he is the second coming of Leroy Smith next year.

Still, we have seen great pass-rushing DE’s in the recent past, between Anthony Nelson, AJE and Drew Ott and I wouldn’t count Golston in that same level. He is very good in the run game, and I think he sets the edge better than AJE, but I would say Golston is a “good” pass rusher, but not a “great” one. I would love for him to prove otherwise this next year.

Reactions: millhawk
ADVERTISEMENT