ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Softball

Eight HRs on the weekend!
That's more than we used to get in a season not too long ago! ;)

Klosterman voted big 10 and d1 freshman of the week. Well deserved!

Doocy named big 10 pitcher of the week.

Our freshmen bats are coming around. Hoping with the pitching and defense, that we can bring it all together this weekend.

Reactions: Jcchawk
Do we have any good pitchers coming in next year? All of ours are seniors, I believe. I don't know where to look to find this out. Thanks.

Reactions: CleteyColgate
Unless they get a transfer, we are going to have a REALLY young staff! The pitching coach will have his hands full!

Nice win today by Iowa and Doocy.
Hopefully they can finish out the season strong vs Nebraska & Illinois and build some momentum for next year.
Don't all the players get another year if they want it? It would be great to get some / all the pitchers back for another year.
Is there a BIG softball tourney this year? I'm guessing not, similar to baseball.

Reactions: HillcrestHawk
Nice win today by Iowa and Doocy.
Hopefully they can finish out the season strong vs Nebraska & Illinois and build some momentum for next year.
Don't all the players get another year if they want it? It would be great to get some / all the pitchers back for another year.
Is there a BIG softball tourney this year? I'm guessing not, similar to baseball.
There is no B1G tournament this season.

Players last season were eligible to take another year, but for 2021. Doocy and Maihew took an extra year. The other seniors could come back for one more year. It would be nice to see Shaw/Lehman return as you can always use experienced pitchers.

Go Hawks

No, but tomorrow is sold out. All the away games were family only. Today’s attendance was pretty good for 3:00 on a Friday. Glad to see so many kids there.

I've never seen that either.

The middle part of the standings are muddled up with Indiana, Illinois, OSU, Nebraska and us all within a game or so. A sweep today is needed to keep any post season hopes alive.

I've never seen that either.

The middle part of the standings are muddled up with Indiana, Illinois, OSU, Nebraska and us all within a game or so. A sweep today is needed to keep any post season hopes alive.
So far, so good...6-0 in first game (4thInning).

Great pitching, timely hitting, solid defense = two wins.
Nebraska was missing some of their players. Rumored that they broke team rules. Their bad.

Reactions: Cymonhawk
Heading into the final week of play there is a log jam around 4th place in the standings. Coach Gillespie had said on a podcast midseason she expected three teams to make the NCAA tournament, but over the weekend said if we went 8-2 over the final 10 games we'd be in the conversation. She said the committee will look to how a team finished in their final 10 games. D1 Softball projected 5 teams before the season.

I'm hoping the NCAA committee will select 5 teams (more would be nice) from the Big Ten.

Minnesota and Michigan should be in. Northwestern is in a good spot so long as the final weekend is not a bad one.

Indiana is set up nice to make a late push. Ohio State could make a push too, but is a game and half back from the pack.

Iowa and Illinois both could play their way into the conversation.

Nebraska would need to sweep.

Anyone have any thoughts on how many teams the B1G gets into the tournament?

Go Hawks

Michigan 32-6 (.842) hosts Rutgers
Minnesota 26-10 (.722) @ Penn State

Northwestern 26-14 (.650) hosts 21-19 Nebraska NW 3-3 in last 6
Indiana 23-17 (.575) @ 17-23 Maryland Indiana 5-1 in last 6
Illinois 23-17 (.575) @ 23-17 Iowa Illinois 2-4 in last 6
Iowa 23-17 (.575) hosts 23-17 Illinois Iowa 5-1 in last 6
Ohio State 21-18 (.541) @12-22 Michigan State OSU 3-3 in last 6
Nebraska 21-19 (.525) @ 26-14 Northwestern Nebraska 3-3 in last 6

Heading into the final week of play there is a log jam around 4th place in the standings. Coach Gillespie had said on a podcast midseason she expected three teams to make the NCAA tournament, but over the weekend said if we went 8-2 over the final 10 games we'd be in the conversation. She said the committee will look to how a team finished in their final 10 games. D1 Softball projected 5 teams before the season.

I'm hoping the NCAA committee will select 5 teams (more would be nice) from the Big Ten.

Minnesota and Michigan should be in. Northwestern is in a good spot so long as the final weekend is not a bad one.

Indiana is set up nice to make a late push. Ohio State could make a push too, but is a game and half back from the pack.

Iowa and Illinois both could play their way into the conversation.

Nebraska would need to sweep.

Anyone have any thoughts on how many teams the B1G gets into the tournament?

Go Hawks

Michigan 32-6 (.842) hosts Rutgers
Minnesota 26-10 (.722) @ Penn State

Northwestern 26-14 (.650) hosts 21-19 Nebraska NW 3-3 in last 6
Indiana 23-17 (.575) @ 17-23 Maryland Indiana 5-1 in last 6
Illinois 23-17 (.575) @ 23-17 Iowa Illinois 2-4 in last 6
Iowa 23-17 (.575) hosts 23-17 Illinois Iowa 5-1 in last 6
Ohio State 21-18 (.541) @12-22 Michigan State OSU 3-3 in last 6
Nebraska 21-19 (.525) @ 26-14 Northwestern Nebraska 3-3 in last 6

It would be sweet if Iowa took the series from Illinois, finished top 5 in the B1G and squeaked into the NCAA Tournament

With this young team, getting NCAA Tournament experience would be so incredibly valuable for recruiting and for moving forward to next season

Standings through May 15...

I'd think the top three are in the NCAA. If Iowa can win we will get 4th alone which may be good enough to get in. A loss and we are tied with Illinois and probably Indiana with Ohio State likely a half game back. It seems it would be tough for the committee to take any of the teams, but in that scenario Illinois may have an advantage with two wins over Michigan.

Hawks are playing well now. Wished there was a B1G tournament this year.

Go Hawks

Michigan 35-6
Minnesota 29-10
Northwestern 28-15

Iowa 25-18
Indiana 24-19
Illinois 24-19
Ohio State 23-19

Last edited:
Standings through May 15...

I'd think the top three are in the NCAA. If Iowa can win we will get 4th alone which may be good enough to get in. A loss and we are tied with Illinois and probably Indiana with Ohio State likely a half game back. It seems it would be tough for the committee to take any of the teams, but in that scenario Illinois may have an advantage with two wins over Michigan.

Hawks are playing well now. Wished there was a B1G tournament this year.

Go Hawks

Michigan 35-6
Minnesota 29-10
Northwestern 28-15

Iowa 25-18
Indiana 24-19
Illinois 24-19
Ohio State 23-19

Disgraceful there are no tournaments.

Good win today! Dooley shut them down last three innings for 4-3 win
Have fourth place in conference to themselves and hopefully post season invitation.
think they have won 10 of last 12 so May be invited as a hot team.

Reactions: Franisdaman
you are cGood win today! Dooley shut them down last three innings for 4-3 win
Have fourth place in conference to themselves and hopefully post season invitation.

you are correct; they have won 10 of their last 12

Good win today! Dooley shut them down last three innings for 4-3 win

How many teams get invited?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT