ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Softball

26-25 Kennesaw State in as an at-large.
Michigan not seeded; NW as the 4 seed in the Kentucky region. Big Ten didn’t get much respect. Minnesota the third team in.

Having previously asserted the team lacked mental toughness, I must say this team had a very good season. They kept up a good attitude (viewed from afar), fought to the last out and made major improvements as the season progressed. All this, from a very young team! The future is bright if the focus remains. The seniors can be proud and the others optimistic about the games to come.

Reactions: LinusPF
I thought they'd be doing well to meet the projection of 5th, so 4th for us was great.

I saw that Shaw and Lehman, along with Doocy were honored as seniors. Does this mean they won't be back next season? Or have they decided yet?

Doocy received her undergrad in three years, and now is finishing her Masters. So she is gone.
I was hoping Shaw and Lehman would be coming back. I know that 6 freshman pitchers are coming in this fall, but does anyone on the current roster have any pitching experience? Could that be an issue next year?

Reactions: Hawkbiz
Not that it really matters, but It would be interesting to see the 'first 4 out' like they do for b-ball. Just looking at the records of the teams in the tourney it looks like Iowa could have possibly made it with another a couple wins. But who knows, Michigan wins the Big Ten and they go on the road to Washington, who is 16 seed, so if they win that regional they most likely would play #1 overall seed to go to the world series.

Hopefully a senior pitcher or 2 come backs next year to help the team moving up in the standings.

Does anyone know of a highly ranked pitcher or bat coming to Iowa next year? Who's their best recruit(s)?

Reactions: HillcrestHawk
26-25 Kennesaw State in as an at-large.
Michigan not seeded; NW as the 4 seed in the Kentucky region. Big Ten didn’t get much respect. Minnesota the third team in.
I see that UNI will face Iowa State Friday at 1:00 Central on ESPN3.

They are playing in Columbia, Missouri.

How would Iowa have done vs ISU & UNI this year?

Just sucks to be left out.

But the future is bright for the program.

On a side note: is there an Iowa program right now that really really sucks? The only sport I can think of is women's volleyball but they seem to be on the right track

Reactions: Hawkbiz
I see that UNI will face Iowa State Friday at 1:00 Central on ESPN3.

They are playing in Columbia, Missouri.

How would Iowa have done vs ISU & UNI this year?

Just sucks to be left out.

But the future is bright for the program.

On a side note: is there an Iowa program right now that really really sucks? The only sport I can think of is women's volleyball but they seem to be on the right track

Sophie Maras - DMACC SS- Region 11 Offensive Player of Year. Led nation with 29 HR. Her posted stats show she has driven in 92 runs, scored 101 runs and hit 529. It also shows she has stolen 52 bases. Many think she will be NJCAA national Offensive Player of the Year. DMACC RANKED 4 nationally and going back to NJCAA WORLD SERIES for 8th consecutive year. Maras will have 3 years of eligibility at Iowa.

I thought they'd be doing well to meet the projection of 5th, so 4th for us was great.

I saw that Shaw and Lehman, along with Doocy were honored as seniors. Does this mean they won't be back next season? Or have they decided yet?
Shaw's Instagram certainly seems like she's done

Shaw's Instagram certainly seems like she's done
Yeah, it does. Lehman, maybe not so much, I guess we'll see. I wonder if coach has given a deadline for finalizing the decision, and if it's already passed. If it were me, I'd want to have at least one veteran starting pitcher coming back.

I just now noticed that UNI transfer Emma Olejniczak, who was a junior last season, wasn't on the roster this season. Did she opt out, or simply quit?

Last edited:
Yeah, it does. Lehman, maybe not so much, I guess we'll see. I wonder if coach has given a deadline for finalizing the decision, and if it's already passed.
If all three participated in senior day, I would guess all three have decided to leave.
no idea how good incoming pitchers may be. I would guess they will look at possible transfers to add experience.

Yeah, it does. Lehman, maybe not so much, I guess we'll see. I wonder if coach has given a deadline for finalizing the decision, and if it's already passed. If it were me, I'd want to have at least one veteran starting pitcher coming back.

I just now noticed that UNI transfer Emma Olejniczak, who was a junior last season, wasn't on the roster this season. Did she opt out, or simply quit?

She's on this roster. Presumably she used this year as a COVID year seeing her chance to lead the staff next year? Just guessing as I don't know her.

Emma O. is no longer part of the team.

Without giving up to much other information(due to loyalty to current pitchers), I would be looking for a transfer. Unless coaches think that the incoming group can hold down the needed pitching spots. You never know how the incoming players transfer over to the college game.

Loecker started a game verses Michigan on the mound and Maggie Peterson threw an inning early in the season. Coach Prater mentioned Loecker as having a good drop ball on a podcast. I'm guessing we'll see her on the mound, but they probably didn't need to this year with the amazing pitchers we had. The next recruiting class has six pitchers in it. Definitely a new look on the mound next year. Coach G's teams at UCF always had very good pitchers so I have faith she'll have a good pitchers either through a transfer or developing them, but as Hillcrest said the transition is not always easy.

Does anyone know if Milkowski got injured? She was playing very well and then wasn't in the line ups. I'm assuming an injury.

I think we were deserving of a tournament berth. Big Ten's decision for conference only really hurt us, IMO. Indiana was deserving as well.

Our offense should be good next year. The program is definitely trending the right way.

I signed up for Justin's World of Softball's service. Iowa has five players in the transfer portal - Milkowski, Shaw, Venegas, Lehman and Olejniczak.

It appears Lauren and Sarah may want to continue playing. Total speculation on my part, but a couple years ago Sammy Gyerman was a grad transfer and the rumor was there wasn't any scholarship money because it is generally already allocated out (I think in softball each team get just under 13 or 12 full scholarships and needs to be split)

Bummer about Milkowski. She was good behind the dish and had some big hits for us.

I signed up for Justin's World of Softball's service. Iowa has five players in the transfer portal - Milkowski, Shaw, Venegas, Lehman and Olejniczak.

It appears Lauren and Sarah may want to continue playing. Total speculation on my part, but a couple years ago Sammy Gyerman was a grad transfer and the rumor was there wasn't any scholarship money because it is generally already allocated out (I think in softball each team get just under 13 or 12 full scholarships and needs to be split)

Bummer about Milkowski. She was good behind the dish and had some big hits for us.

Gillispie must like her incoming pitchers for next year

The six pitching recruits are:

Haley Downe from Norwalk (Iowa Premier)
Devyn Greer from California (Athletics Mercado)
Emma Henderson from Indiana (Orland Park A's)
Britney Lewinski from Illinois (Iowa Premier)
Madelyn Rouse from Illinois (Wasco Diamonds)
Kat Serna from California (Corona Angels)

I don't know much about them, but Angels is a very good club ball team as is Athletics.

I really liked Milkowski, I wonder what happened. Best of luck to her.

Now that the season is done, and with it my daughters softball career. I want to take the opportunity to thank all the softball fans in this website. A special thanks to those that kept it mostly positive over the past five year. I know I am leaving many of you out, but thanks to Linus, uptown, beahawk, Row55, mosshawk6, cketecolgate, and Jcchawk. Again sorry if I forgot you. You all have great insight, and awesome support.
The girls on this team are awesome young ladies. Many of them from other states here to represent the U of I. Probably on partial scholarship, and out of state tuition.
Anyway my daughters career has been filled with many ups and downs, and a coaching change. She also had to fight through injuries during her time here. I can not be more proud of her. Leaving the university with a master degree, and a fiancé.
I will continue to be around, but probably a little more objective. Thanks again! Go Hawks!!!
(Sorry about the grammar)

Now that the season is done, and with it my daughters softball career. I want to take the opportunity to thank all the softball fans in this website. A special thanks to those that kept it mostly positive over the past five year. I know I am leaving many of you out, but thanks to Linus, uptown, beahawk, Row55, mosshawk6, cketecolgate, and Jcchawk. Again sorry if I forgot you. You all have great insight, and awesome support.
The girls on this team are awesome young ladies. Many of them from other states here to represent the U of I. Probably on partial scholarship, and out of state tuition.
Anyway my daughters career has been filled with many ups and downs, and a coaching change. She also had to fight through injuries during her time here. I can not be more proud of her. Leaving the university with a master degree, and a fiancé.
I will continue to be around, but probably a little more objective. Thanks again! Go Hawks!!!
Congrats to you and your daughter.

I married a softball alumna with ups and downs, a coaching change, and a multitude of injuries during her career. Keep posting as the program’s trajectory improved and encourage your daughter to stay involved. My wife has really enjoyed the current staff.

My daughter Allison Doocy was vote 2nd team all region today. Sorry about the brag. She’s been through a lot with the injuries. Another proud dad moment, fighting to help the team the way that she has.
Wish I could like this more than once!! Congratulations and enjoy that proud dad moment.

Reactions: BDJHawk

Really fun team to watch. Hawkeye softball is back!

Lehman is gone for sure. Headed to DePaul to continue her education. Iowa does not offer it. As I said before, great kid.
Shaw is testing the waters. Not sure if her plans. Has anyone else seen or heard anything?

ADVERTISEMENT