Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Bowen

Votes: 79 32.5%
  • CMac

Votes: 21 8.6%
  • Someone else

Votes: 15 6.2%

• Total voters
Call me crazy but I think Ulis will be a big surprise next year. Good defensively, good ball handler, good passer, etc. He really didn't look for his offense this year and I think works on it and with more playing time will be a nice surprise next year. Perkins is a 2 or 3. JT can be out of control too much, and not too often can you rely on a true freshman to run the point unless it's some one and done stud. Just my opinion

You're correct on that. Connor spent most of this season backing up Pmac and to a lesser extent Keegan. There were very limited minutes available at the point between JBO and Joe. That changes with Jbo leaving. Cmac's lack of offense doesn't lend itself towards the 2 and Perkins solidified his spot there so his minutes are likely increasing. Cmac's lack of size is a disadvantage inside and we can assume that Kris, Pmac and Sandfort's minutes are all going up at the 3 and 4. If Fran lands a big that locks up the 5 spot. That's why it wouldn't surprise me if Fran played Cmac at the point. He hasn't shown all that much trust in Joe to date and Connor's two strongest traits are passing and ball security. Fran trusts his decision making more than anyone else on the team.

Agreed. One other aspect of CMac playing is that he is usually open on the perimeter. Since his defender is not up on him, CMac acts as an outlet when the offense is bogged down or pressure by the defense is shutting down other options. To his credit, CMac usually looks to reverse the ball or find other players to pass to and seems to look for his shot last. Not exactly trying to praise CMac for that, but sometimes, it seems to settle things down on the offensive end.

On the defensive end, CMac is no shut down defender, but he is solid, and doesn't give up a lot of ground in the post when matched up on bigger players. Helpful certainly, and he is usually in the right place. That also can help calm things down when a team is facing adversity.

I see him as a calming influence on the team. If he decides to return, it will be interesting to see if his role changes from this year (more minutes, more ball handling, etc.). If he leaves, I think he has been a helpful teammate that hopefully the younger players can draw from his experience going forward.

Reactions: CookyMonster
You're correct on that. Connor spent most of this season backing up Pmac and to a lesser extent Keegan. There were very limited minutes available at the point between JBO and Joe. That changes with Jbo leaving. Cmac's lack of offense doesn't lend itself towards the 2 and Perkins solidified his spot there so his minutes are likely increasing. Cmac's lack of size is a disadvantage inside and we can assume that Kris, Pmac and Sandfort's minutes are all going up at the 3 and 4. If Fran lands a big that locks up the 5 spot. That's why it wouldn't surprise me if Fran played Cmac at the point. He hasn't shown all that much trust in Joe to date and Connor's two strongest traits are passing and ball security. Fran trusts his decision making more than anyone else on the team.
Just shoot me if that happens.

CMac mostly played the three this season, but I recall him playing at the two in a few games and at the point once when JBo, Joe, and Ahron all had two fouls. I don't recall him ever playing at the four like he did in the previous two seasons.

Call me crazy but I think Ulis will be a big surprise next year. Good defensively, good ball handler, good passer, etc. He really didn't look for his offense this year and I think works on it and with more playing time will be a nice surprise next year. Perkins is a 2 or 3. JT can be out of control too much, and not too often can you rely on a true freshman to run the point unless it's some one and done stud. Just my opinion
This. I think with the options available at the point that CMac won't see much if any time there. I disagree that Joe is too risky - I think there are moments where he might lapse but for the most part he made a lot of progress this year. I am hoping he makes the jump next year to rein in his too-fast tendencies and uses change of speed more.

Honestly blows my mind people voted for someone other than joe t
So, the question doesn't actually ask who we think should be the starter. The question is who will be the starter. That can go several ways. The fact that Joe WAS the starter and then lost his starting position not once but twice now makes it seem less than a given that he'll be back in that spot next year.

Reactions: ObeseMuffins
So, the question doesn't actually ask who we think should be the starter. The question is who will be the starter. That can go several ways. The fact that Joe WAS the starter and then lost his starting position not once but twice now makes it seem less than a given that he'll be back in that spot next year.
He lost it once. He was filling in when Jordan had surgery the first time.

This 2 min highlight clip makes me believe Bowen will start on Day 1. He's got a clean stroke. Reminds me of that kid from MSU - Cassius Winston. Would love to see more highlights from this upcoming summer.

Just said the same thing in another thread. 6’3” guard with a shot and arms down to his knees. He will start day 1. I’m sure this is why Joe T left. Credit to Fran for being straight up

• Haha
Reactions: jonesy5960
Just said the same thing in another thread. 6’3” guard with a shot and arms down to his knees. He will start day 1. I’m sure this is why Joe T left. Credit to Fran for being straight up
No. Joe left because he didn't get many minutes as the season went on.

Hopefully, Bowen is great but a freshman starting PG in the Big Ten usually spells big trouble.

Reactions: jonesy5960
Nijel Pack from KSU.....he isn't in the portal yet, but his coach is done as I understand it. We were right there on him before he went to KSU. This might be my dream PG scenario is he ends up at Iowa and we keep what we have left in terms of guard. Honestly, get Pack and the right frontline guy and we're in business assuming Kris Murray and everyone else is back.

Reactions: skydog0784
How are we going to objectively determine if Bowen is playing well?
My determination haha

My idea of the bet was that he starts at pg, i get the perspective that he left because of reduced minutes but 32 minutes are up for grabs at PG and he was playing over Uhlis, thus you would think Joe T would be the incumbent starting PG, unless Fran said he anticipated Bowen to start over him.

Obviously not an ideal scenario to have a Frosh run your offense but it might be better than Joe T playing 30 minutes too. Bowen is good.

Reactions: BBHawk
My determination haha

My idea of the bet was that he starts at pg, i get the perspective that he left because of reduced minutes but 32 minutes are up for grabs at PG and he was playing over Uhlis, thus you would think Joe T would be the incumbent starting PG, unless Fran said he anticipated Bowen to start over him.

Obviously not an ideal scenario to have a Frosh run your offense but it might be better than Joe T playing 30 minutes too. Bowen is good.
There are very few point guards that come into the big ten, start and play well as freshman. The game is so much faster and PG is the most demanding position.

Bowen may well start with Joe T gone but that likely doesn't bode well for us. Bowen could be a freshman phenom but historically, it's unlikely.

Is there a coach at a power 5 conference school with 12 years tenure that has done less than fran? Genuinely curious. What type of returns should we expect after this much time.

Nijel Pack from KSU.....he isn't in the portal yet, but his coach is done as I understand it. We were right there on him before he went to KSU. This might be my dream PG scenario is he ends up at Iowa and we keep what we have left in terms of guard. Honestly, get Pack and the right frontline guy and we're in business assuming Kris Murray and everyone else is back.
Declared for draft.

• Sad
Reactions: perryhawk
Ulis is my guess. He’s an improved jump shot away from being a quality Big Ten PG. His perimeter on-ball defense is arguably best on the team, he’s a good rebounding guard, and a capable facilitator. His ability to score is the remaining question mark, albeit a big one. Seems unlikely Bowen would start from day one, though I hope he’s good enough to

I think Connor’s role next season is subbing for Perkins, though if he plays alongside Perkins, you just need him defending opposing 2’s

Ulis is my guess. He’s an improved jump shot away from being a quality Big Ten PG. His perimeter on-ball defense is arguably best on the team, he’s a good rebounding guard, and a capable facilitator. His ability to score is the remaining question mark, albeit a big one. Seems unlikely Bowen would start from day one, though I hope he’s good enough to

I think Connor’s role next season is subbing for Perkins, though if he plays alongside Perkins, you just need him defending opposing 2’s
Connor and Perkins start backed up by Ulis and Bowen.

Connor and Perkins start backed up by Ulis and Bowen.
Possible, I just don’t know why Fran would start two guys whose natural positions are off-guard and then sub in two guys whose natural positions are PG

I think that in your scenario, Perkins is defending opposing PG’s which would basically make him starting PG

Reactions: perryhawk
Possible, I just don’t know why Fran would start two guys whose natural positions are off-guard and then sub in two guys whose natural positions are PG

I think that in your scenario, Perkins is defending opposing PG’s which would basically make him starting PG
Perkins is a natural 2. Cmac's skillset translates to PG more than any other position and the minutes are available with Joe and Jbo gone.

Tyrese Hunter from Iowa State entered the portal today. I'd love to have him. Look what St. Peters did with four guards. You can never have to many. Do you think Fran will go for him? Unless he's a dirt bag, I'd like to see it. I think Ulis will do great, if given a real chance. Bowen looks good on tape, but we'll see once he hits the Big 10.

Tyrese Hunter from Iowa State entered the portal today. I'd love to have him. Look what St. Peters did with four guards. You can never have to many. Do you think Fran will go for him? Unless he's a dirt bag, I'd like to see it. I think Ulis will do great, if given a real chance. Bowen looks good on tape, but we'll see once he hits the Big 10.
Not finding anything about Hunter transferring. Link?

I'd take Hunter in a heartbeat - not seeing him as being in the portal though?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT