ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Iowa Baseball

Did I miss the post about Anthony likely leaving? I thought all signs pointed to one more year.
I’ve heard from a couple people he is looking to go in the draft. Plan was to move him to 1B with Williams gone, but the fact that the coaching staff went after the Tulane 1B and now picked up a 1B/DH Dorighi with Fr 1B/DH Blake Guerin also coming in as well, it would seem the coaching staff knows.

Brody Brecht left his start with Clinton after 5 pitches tonight. Contacted Coach Sutherland and said he assumes it is a hamstring issue, but does not know.

Haven’t listened yet but Keaton Anthony was on with the McCaffery’s.

From the podcast,

Keaton has talked to a lot of MLB teams and met with some teams here in Iowa City. He mentions the Mets and Red Sox. Went to a Cubs event in South Bend to work out. Sounds like a lot of interest in him.

Appears TCU got Ryan Vanderhei from KU. Big miss for Iowa.
Yes, it hurts to not get him, but it's hard to say "big miss". We dont really have any idea how much Iowa recruited him and TCU is hard to pass up if they feel he can be a big piece.

Kyle - what is the roster limit for next season? I think pre-Covid is was 35. Seems like we are well north of that with these three new additions.

Kyle - what is the roster limit for next season? I think pre-Covid is was 35. Seems like we are well north of that with these three new additions.

new roster is up, missing a few of the new transfers but definitely over 35 even if you take out Mazur and Williams

new roster is up, missing a few of the new transfers but definitely over 35 even if you take out Mazur and Williams
Of note: Brendan Sher is no longer listed, which means he has made his final decision.

Keaton Anthony will likely be gone and I am not sure Ty Snep's back is going to allow him to play next year.
Duncan and Cade would be the other two up in the air currently.

Reactions: funnyfletcher
I will be at the substate final between Iowa City High vs Bettendorf tonight to root on the Bulldogs. Will report back on Cade Obermueller.

Of note: Brendan Sher is no longer listed, which means he has made his final decision.

Keaton Anthony will likely be gone and I am not sure Ty Snep's back is going to allow him to play next year.
Duncan and Cade would be the other two up in the air currently.
Cade Moss up in the air? How?

That's nice to see, but if you're a top three or four round pick out of high school it's tough to do that. They'll be extremely patient with him as opposed to a RS Sr. out of college.
Given his dads background I think he gave him advice on the decision. I think Heller and Lund were probably honest with him that his development would be better at Iowa given he will be more supervised compared to the MLB. I’m a little surprised at his draft ranking because he seems like a reliever prospect given his current frame.

Given his dads background I think he gave him advice on the decision. I think Heller and Lund were probably honest with him that his development would be better at Iowa given he will be more supervised compared to the MLB. I’m a little surprised at his draft ranking because he seems like a reliever prospect given his current frame.
I'm guessing they assume he'll be a late bloomer like his dad growth wise.

Is this it or is Iowa looking to add anybody else?
Browsing over who Coach Sutherland is following, that could be it. Not sure on the Texas A&M P Childress and if Iowa has a shot there, but he is the only remaining transfer that I see.

An outfield of Huckstorf, Moseley and Petersen would be about as good as it can get from a strictly tracking down balls in the outfield standpoint.

Reactions: funnyfletcher
Pre-Fall Practice Lineup

1B Keaton Anthony
2B Ben Wilmes/Sam Hojnar
SS Michael Seegers
3B Andy Nelson
DH Brennen Dorighi
LF Sam Petersen
CF Kyle Huckstorf
RF Chase Moseley
Friday- Ty Langenberg
Saturday- Zach Voelker?
Sunday- Cade Obermueller? Jared Simpson?

Bullpen is a big ? right now. The starting rotation has some ironing out to do, but I think it will come together.

Reactions: HawkOn15
I would not put Mosley in ink. Not a put down or anything, just has a big step up & plenty of competition. If Sam H hits & stays healthy he can play 2B, other guys there can play OF for example.

The bullpen will be better than it might seem. Plenty of arms.

I fear that true freshman group is gonna hit big in some cases but also be more misses than normal.

Last edited:
I would not put Mosley in ink. Not a put down or anything, just has a big step up & plenty of competition. If Sam H hits & stays healthy he can play 2B, other guys there can play OF for example.

The bullpen will be better than it might seem. Plenty of arms.

I fear that true freshman group is gonna hit big in some cases but also be more misses than normal.
I would normally say yes on a JUCO transfer, however Kirkwood is known for having DI ready guys. For example, the last NJCAA All-American Iowa picked up from Kirkwood started 50 games the following season. It was Izaya Fullard. Also Moseley had season was so impressive that even a marked drop in numbers would still be a great season at Iowa.

ADVERTISEMENT