ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Iowa Morel Mushroom Thread

JustSayOV

HR All-State
Dec 14, 2016
Sorry not sure if this was worthy of an ***OFFICIAL*** in the thread title or not, but lets post some updates on what people are finding, tips and tricks, etc....

I have not found any yet.....reports in SE Iowa (Washington County area) though are some small grays are starting to be found.

My go-to sign is when the Lilac bushes are in bloom, that's usually one in the same with the yellows being out there.

I don't understand the whole mushroom hunting thing. Some people just LOVE it.

I have a client the other day said he has 270 acres of timber and a pond that I can do anything I want with it.

Just NO mushroom hunting. lol

I don't understand the whole mushroom hunting thing. Some people just LOVE it.

I have a client the other day said he has 270 acres of timber and a pond that I can do anything I want with it.

Just NO mushroom hunting. lol

I mean, on one hand, people do like to eat them (myself included) and they are literally only available a couple weeks out of the whole year, so there is definitely some draw there because you can't just go to the store and pick them up whenever you want.

And then secondly, I view it as no different than people that just enjoy nature and hiking for example....no different than going for a hike in the woods and enjoying the serenity...its just that as an added bonus this time of year, you might find some mushrooms.

trying to get ahold of some here in central Illinois & these rednecks want $60/70 a pound, they are good, but not that good.

A buddy of mine down in Ringgold county in SW Iowa found some yesterday. All of them were very small, but he got a decent amount nonetheless.

Reactions: JustSayOV
After years of reading these threads I was thinking sounds fun and delicious! But I just Googled a pic .... GROSS. I know, I'm too finicky that way.

• Sad
Reactions: InsaneHawkJJP
Went yesterday and didn't find any. It's pretty dry here in West Central Iowa. We need some rain and 70 degree heat to get things going. Next week they'll start popping.

I take a lot of pictures of when I mushroom hunt. This is from last year. More new pics to come.

ArIKHlS.jpg

I take a lot of pictures of when I mushroom hunt. This is from last year. More new pics to come.

ArIKHlS.jpg
They're so distinct looking. Does that help preclude the possibility of even a novice snagging a toadstool or poisonous shroom?

I follow a group on FB that shows which counties they have been found in. So far the furthest north I have seen is Benton County. Probably at least another week until NE Iowa starts seeing them.

Reactions: InsaneHawkJJP
Man I used to have a student who would bring me bread sacks full of mushrooms. He unfortunately graduated. I tried like hell to convince him to fail, but he wasn’t having any of that. Selfish bastard.

I only started "hunting" morels about 30 years ago. My grandpa found pounds in the late 50's due to dutch elm disease. I never hunted them in high school or college. Wish like hell i would have. About 1/20th the seekers back then. One of the downsides of the internet. If you are into fungi, morels are one of the tastier varieties. Sure, fried up they are delicious, but after a couple of servings, if I find enough, they are dried for preserving. Morel cream sauce over tenderloin for christmas is a tradition. Finding them brings such a feeling of joy, it is truly indescribable. So unpredictable, so elusive, so dependent on the weather. I used to catalogue where and when I found them. My best spring I found around 1500. One spring I found two right next to each other that were 11 inches tall. It's a healthy mild addiction. Watch out for ticks and sliding down into creeks.

Yep south of Rathbun near the border people are finding a few. I hope to go after the game tomorrow.

Supposed to hit 80 next weekend in southern Iowa. The mushrooms should be popping.

Rain and moisture will be good here in the next few days in SE Iowa, but then with it being colder following that, how does that affect them "popping"?

Played golf the other day, the ground is like a rock it seemed like

I went looking in southeastern Iowa this past weekend, and nothing yet. Just a few mushrooms of other varieties.

Reactions: Moral
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT