ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame nominees announced

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Missy Elliott, Willie Nelson, Kate Bush, Iron Maiden, Cyndi Lauper, Soundgarden, Sheryl Crow and the late George Michael are the 2023 nominees for induction into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, reflecting a mix of country, soul, hip-hop, metal, pop, rap-rock and grunge.

The Cleveland-based institution announced Wednesday the 14 artists and groups being considered for Rock Hall induction, also including Rage Against the Machine, The Spinners, A Tribe Called Quest, The White Stripes, Warren Zevon and Joy Division/New Order.

If Elliott makes it, she would become the first female hip-hop artist in the hall.

“This is an incredible honor. I’m so humbled and grateful to be counted amongst all the incredible honorees. I’ve spent my career making the kind of music I love and it means so much to know that I have touched others as well,” she said in a statement.

Artists must have released their first commercial recording at least 25 years before they’re eligible for induction.

“This remarkable list of nominees reflects the diverse artists and music that the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame honors and celebrates,” said John Sykes, chair of the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Foundation in a statement. “These artists have created their own sounds that have impacted generations and influenced countless others that have followed in their footsteps.”

Eight out of 14 nominees are on the ballot for the first time, including Crow, Elliott, Joy Division/New Order, Lauper, Michael, Nelson, The White Stripes and Zevon. This is the first year of eligibility for Elliott and The White Stripes. While the late Zevon has been eligible since 1994, Billy Joel led a push for his entry, writing to the nominating committee urging them to consider Zevon.

“Seeing my name on this year’s ballot with so many talents that I admire means so much to me. It has been a lifetime privilege to reach so many different kinds of fans with a message of following your own path (and having fun along the way, too),” Lauper wrote in a statement.

A Tribe Called Quest and Bush were nominees last year and didn’t make the cut but now find themselves back in the running this year. Bush’s latest nod may be due to a new wave in popularity after the show “Stranger Things” featured her song “Running Up That Hill (A Deal with God).”

Inductees will be announced in May and the ceremony will take place this fall. Nominees will be voted on by more than 1,000 artists, historians and music industry professionals. Fans can vote online or in person at the museum, with the top five artists picked by the public making up a “fans’ ballot” that will be tallied with the other professional ballots.

Last year, the nomination process was complicated by Dolly Parton, who gave the honor an enthusiastic embrace after temporarily turning it down. She initially said she did not want to take votes away from the remaining nominees and had not “earned that right.”

At least Percy Sledge is in. 1 top 10 hit. Known influence- Michael Bolton.

‘When a Man Loves a Woman’- 1 crap assed pussy song and this guy is enshrined. Pfffft

DONE with RnRHOF.

At least Percy Sledge is in. 1 top 10 hit. Known influence- Michael Bolton.

‘When a Man Loves a Woman’- 1 crap assed pussy song and this guy is enshrined. Pfffft

DONE with RnRHOF.

You must be forgetting the Honda Christmas commercials

Imagine this world if he got the Black Sabbath job when he auditioned for it

Soundgarden was so awesome. Have always regretted not going to see Cornell at The Alder... passed shortly after 😞

Reactions: Moral
The Hall of Fame is a joke at this point.

A band like Guns N Rose's gets in first time eligible, based on three Albums.

A band like Iron Maiden, who has sold 50 million more albums, is still waiting.

(I have seen Guns n Roses something like 25 times...love them)

Motley Crue has sold more albums and has had far more of an influence on music than GnR.

Last edited:
Reactions: Moral
Performer Category

Kate Bush
Sheryl Crow
Missy Elliott
George Michael
Willie Nelson
Rage Against the Machine
The Spinners

There is list of inductees. I get wanting women and diversity, but how the f did Crow and Elliot get in?

About time with George

Motley Crue has sold more albums and has had far more of an influence on music than GnR.
I think Crue gets in at some point, but they were never near level of GNR

By your methodology Frank Gore would be more deserving of Pro Football HOF than Gayle Sayers

Motley Crue has sold more albums and has had far more of an influence on music than GnRGnR

Have you ever listened to paradise city?

Have you ever listened to paradise city,
half-baked-jon-stewart.gif
?

I think Crue gets in at some point, but they were never near level of GNR

By your methodology Frank Gore would be more deserving of Pro Football HOF than Gayle Sayers

I would disagree on if Crue was at the level of GnR. Both could sell out a stadium then, and now. I would say that Crue was more ground breaking...and helped open the door for bands like GnR. Crue's music could stand on its own before polishing - all you have to do is listen to Anything Goes by Hollywood Rose to realize how much Clink helped them with Appetite.

If GnR is Hall material based on three albums - why stop there. Why not put Nazareth in?

I would disagree on if Crue was at the level of GnR. Both could sell out a stadium then, and now. I would say that Crue was more ground breaking...and helped open the door for bands like GnR. Crue's music could stand on its own before polishing - all you have to do is listen to Anything Goes by Hollywood Rose to realize how much Clink helped them with Appetite.

If GnR is Hall material based on three albums - why stop there. Why not put Nazareth in?
because Nazareth has nothing even close to quality of Appetite. Just like Crue doesn't

because Nazareth has nothing even close to quality of Appetite. Just like Crue doesn't

All opinion. Funny thing is that Nazareth turned down Axl's request to play his wedding....hell Axl has said point blank that he would not he singing if it wasn't for Nazareth.

I have seen GnR live 25, 30, something times...lost count. Have only seen Crue 10 times.

Love both bands, will never understand the idea that one is all that much better than other.

I assign them extra credit for Hair of the Dog. That takes me back to high school parties with it blaring!

No one is even complaining about Willie even on the list for the Rock N Roll Hall of fame??

They stopped trying to differentiate genres a long time ago.

As much as I originally thought it was stupid...kind of get it. The cross over is just to great...and what was considered front line rock, Elvis...Beatles, was softer than much of Debbie Gibsons music.

They stopped trying to differentiate genres a long time ago.

As much as I originally thought it was stupid...kind of get it. The cross over is just to great...and what was considered front line rock, Elvis...Beatles, was softer than much of Debbie Gibsons music.
As I could see some cross over. Say Dolly Parton but when has Willy every crossed to rock?

Missy Elliott, Willie Nelson, Kate Bush, Iron Maiden, Cyndi Lauper, Soundgarden, Sheryl Crow and the late George Michael are the 2023 nominees for induction into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, reflecting a mix of country, soul, hip-hop, metal, pop, rap-rock and grunge.

The Cleveland-based institution announced Wednesday the 14 artists and groups being considered for Rock Hall induction, also including Rage Against the Machine, The Spinners, A Tribe Called Quest, The White Stripes, Warren Zevon and Joy Division/New Order.

If Elliott makes it, she would become the first female hip-hop artist in the hall.

“This is an incredible honor. I’m so humbled and grateful to be counted amongst all the incredible honorees. I’ve spent my career making the kind of music I love and it means so much to know that I have touched others as well,” she said in a statement.

Artists must have released their first commercial recording at least 25 years before they’re eligible for induction.

“This remarkable list of nominees reflects the diverse artists and music that the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame honors and celebrates,” said John Sykes, chair of the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Foundation in a statement. “These artists have created their own sounds that have impacted generations and influenced countless others that have followed in their footsteps.”

Eight out of 14 nominees are on the ballot for the first time, including Crow, Elliott, Joy Division/New Order, Lauper, Michael, Nelson, The White Stripes and Zevon. This is the first year of eligibility for Elliott and The White Stripes. While the late Zevon has been eligible since 1994, Billy Joel led a push for his entry, writing to the nominating committee urging them to consider Zevon.

“Seeing my name on this year’s ballot with so many talents that I admire means so much to me. It has been a lifetime privilege to reach so many different kinds of fans with a message of following your own path (and having fun along the way, too),” Lauper wrote in a statement.

A Tribe Called Quest and Bush were nominees last year and didn’t make the cut but now find themselves back in the running this year. Bush’s latest nod may be due to a new wave in popularity after the show “Stranger Things” featured her song “Running Up That Hill (A Deal with God).”

Inductees will be announced in May and the ceremony will take place this fall. Nominees will be voted on by more than 1,000 artists, historians and music industry professionals. Fans can vote online or in person at the museum, with the top five artists picked by the public making up a “fans’ ballot” that will be tallied with the other professional ballots.

Last year, the nomination process was complicated by Dolly Parton, who gave the honor an enthusiastic embrace after temporarily turning it down. She initially said she did not want to take votes away from the remaining nominees and had not “earned that right.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT