ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Softball

Tough to watch good teammates/friends/families move on.
At some point in time increased results need to happen. Is there a confidence that it’s happening?

From what I saw this fall, yes, we will be better. Should be more consistent hitting and fielding. How much so? I think that’s where the chemistry comes in. But with all sports, as you win, every thing is better. I think if they get off to a good start, things can go well.

Go Hawks

Probably both. Will definitely stay engaged here but curious what Tom and crew will do with their new venture.

Btw, it appears Schulte is no longer listed on the Iowa roster online.
Yep, I think she is going to SEMO. Wish her the best of luck!

Schulte is indeed an awesome young lady. Family supported the team like few others. They will all be greatly missed. Good luck to them all!

Reactions: MossHawk6
It looks to me like the team did not do a January "spring training" trip to Florida this year. I suppose there's an argument to be made that it hasn't been effective, particularly after last season.

They DID do the "Spring Training" this year. It was 2nd week in January. They had 3 or 4 scrimmages while down there, and normal "2 a days" for the week.

Reactions: UptownHawk
I stand corrected - I follow the team on Twitter and Instagram and did not see mention of it as I had in the past.

The FAU game was a good softball game. We just couldn't come up with the big hit. Also had 2 runners thrown out at home that hurt! SS is having a great start to the season. In ITB, with runner on 3rd, she made a great diving catch in foul territory just behind 3rd. But couldn't get up in time to throw girl out at home. Good base running by FAU. That tied it in the 8th, then we lost in the 9th. Great play by her, just couldn't gather herself quick enough.

Up 4-0 now on Stoney Brook. Top 7.

Reactions: UptownHawk
A lot of positive to take away from the weekend. Pitching looked great, defense was solid, and we got a lot of hits/walks, but didn't necessarily put up a commiserate amount of runs for that production. As Moss mentioned above running was an issue with three runners thrown out at home (two verses FAU) and a couple others costing us an out. Overall this weekend is a reason to be optimistic about the season.

Pogue has a great arm behind the plate (threw out 5 of 6 runners),Bennett looked good at short and had a few nice gems, Nia had one of the best running over the shoulder diving catches I've seen.

I'm not associated with the team and have no inside knowledge. Klosterman was there and warming up. Doster was there too but did not play. I don't remember seeing Burns there (not all of the team was there). Below is a DI article from before the weekend where Coach G talks about the possibility of seeing a lot of freshman.

Next week will be a good test in Raleigh. NC State went 0-5 but played a tough schedule and Syracuse went 2-1. NC State is picked 9th in the ACC and Cuse 12th.

Go Hawks!

Another softball article from yesterday in the DI.

Nice start to the ACC/BIG Challenge. Carter with infield single, Bennet reach on error on SS.. then Danili HR... 3-0.

As I'm typing this, a BB, 1B, and and error on us, and it's 3-1, and they have 2nd and 3rd. One out.

Reactions: LinusPF
Nice start to the ACC/BIG Challenge. Carter with infield single, Bennet reach on error on SS.. then Danili HR... 3-0.

As I'm typing this, a BB, 1B, and and error on us, and it's 3-1, and they have 2nd and 3rd. One out.
Got out of it. 3-1 us top 2. Poge with single

Pitch hit double for 43 Henderson to score 1. 2nd and 3rd with top of order up.

4-1 Hawks

Great win today! Thanks for the updates, MossHawk.

Miss State with wins over Indiana and Arizona today. Our win is looking good.

Nice game so far today against Syracuse. Bennet with several web gems to steal a couple runs. She also had a double in 1st to get up to 3-0 after 1. Scored 3 more in 5th, big hit of the inning was a Jackson 2 run triple.

Adams has throw very well, holding Syracuse to 3 hits into the 6th.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT