ADVERTISEMENT

2024-25 Men’s Basketball

BVHawkeye

HR Legend
Jan 6, 2003
If Tony comes back we have a real chance to be pretty good. I’m assuming Koch will be a perfect addition to replace PMac and Krikke. Be nice to know what Mulvey’s plans are. Don’t know much about Tadjo.
If Tony leaves I have confidence in Harding but would love Tony back.

Thoughts?

You are right especially with Dix coming on, Freeman playing well (especially if he can develop a 5-15 foot shooting game), Dembele adds a piece, Harding will help and if his 3 pt shooting improves lookout because he has the quickness to find his own shot. If Sandfort stays and his brother keeps improving that is a big plus.

But defense?? Will these players play better defense so as not to lose 5 games a year they should win? Will Fran demand it?

But defense?? Will these players play better defense so as not to lose 5 games a year they should win? Will Fran demand it?
Those of us who have watched Iowa basketball since 2010 already know the answer to this. I will go out on a limb and say that Iowa goes somewhere between 10-10 and 12-8, with a couple maddening loses to bottom-feeders because when you count on trading baskets, sometimes you miss.

Reactions: Tom Paris
I think there’s real reason for optimism for next year. If Every/most of the players on the roster take a good developmental step forward this can be a VERY good team.

Obviously having Tony back and what happens with Dasonte will be significant for this roster and a need for guard depth.

I think Ladji’s development is a huge factor. Can he step up and be a starter? I think he’s already a better defender and 3 point shooter than Krikke….if he can improve his 3 point shooting, reduce fouls, increase rebounding numbers and advance his inside scoring he’s an upgrade at the PF position. Then Koch and Tadjo can hopefully provide front court depth.

If Tony comes back we have a real chance to be pretty good. I’m assuming Koch will be a perfect addition to replace PMac and Krikke. Be nice to know what Mulvey’s plans are. Don’t know much about Tadjo.
If Tony leaves I have confidence in Harding but would love Tony back.

Thoughts?
Tadjo is a stud!! Gonna be a better version of Tyler Cook. Mediocre shooting but solid mid range. 6'8" with long arms and strong body. Incredible athlete with energy. I expect him to be similar to Freeman in terms of efficiency with better defensive numbers.

Tadjo is a stud!! Gonna be a better version of Tyler Cook. Mediocre shooting but solid mid range. 6'8" with long arms and strong body. Incredible athlete with energy. I expect him to be similar to Freeman in terms of efficiency with better defensive numbers.
Tadjo has huge upside. Cook might be a reach be I wouldn't count it out

I have to add this……can Brauns develop into an adequate backup in the post for next year?

By that I mean someone that can play post defense, rebound, score close to the basket? Doesn’t have to be as good as Q Wahab from PSU but be that inside physical presence….able to make free throws and set picks when Freeman needs a break or has foul trouble.

Does Riley Mulvey transfer? If he doesn’t can he provide spot minutes.

Fran has done a pretty good job recruiting transfer big men. I feel like I'd rather bet on Dembele making a jump than Brauns and if Mulvey does transfer try to recruit a big in the portal.

I think our ceiling is probably dependent on if Tony Perkins (and Payton) comes back or not. A starting line-up with Perkins, Payton, Dix, Freeman is really strong. With the last starter being Pryce, Dembele, or a potential transfer. That's a team that if everything comes together could be a threat to win the big ten (especially with Edey finally gone). But if you're missing another piece at PG or wing then it becomes a lot harder to see a path to a top 20 team.

I say they just fire all the players from our roster that aren't going to help us win a national championship, and then go and buy players from the transfer portal that ARE going to help them win a national championship. :)

When people thinks Frans teams are going to be bad, ( which is what most people have predicted most years) they turn out to be decent.

When people expect Frans teams to be good (which is maybe 1 out of every 4 or 5 years) they turn out to be decent.

The roster looks good for the next couple years but I'm only going to assume decent results because that's usually what ends up happening.

A great offensive system will usually produce a decent amount of wins but a system that doesn't take defense seriously will never produce great results.

Reactions: Tom Paris
Those of us who have watched Iowa basketball since 2010 already know the answer to this. I will go out on a limb and say that Iowa goes somewhere between 10-10 and 12-8, with a couple maddening loses to bottom-feeders because when you count on trading baskets, sometimes you miss.
The thing is, baskets under the rim are far more reliable than 3 point shooting. With Edey gone next year Iowa has a good shot to be the best team in the league under the basket next year. They've actually done really well with rebounding this year. But obviously, better defense would be nice.

Reactions: perryhawk
When people thinks Frans teams are going to be bad, ( which is what most people have predicted most years) they turn out to be decent.

When people expect Frans teams to be good (which is maybe 1 out of every 4 or 5 years) they turn out to be decent.

The roster looks good for the next couple years but I'm only going to assume decent results because that's usually what ends up happening.

A great offensive system will usually produce a decent amount of wins but a system that doesn't take defense seriously will never produce great results.
Obviously they didn't do squat in the tournament, but getting a 2 seed and being ranked in the top 10 most of the season is what I would classify as a little better than decent. That's the team that probably had the most expectations going into a season.

Obviously they didn't do squat in the tournament, but getting a 2 seed and being ranked in the top 10 most of the season is what I would classify as a little better than decent. That's the team that probably had the most expectations going into a season.
Where did they finish in the conference, Third?

Need another Center for sure as Freeman is the only true center and not counting on Mulvey to fill that role or even be here next year.

Where did they finish in the conference, Third?
Yep, and the teams that finished 1st and 2nd made up 50% of the #1 seeds that year in the NCAA tournament.
Iowa's only ever gotten a 2 seed in the NCAA tournament one other time--'87. The season is tainted because of how it ended, but we can still give props to how good that team was in the regular season.

Yep, and the teams that finished 1st and 2nd made up 50% of the #1 seeds that year in the NCAA tournament.
Iowa's only ever gotten a 2 seed in the NCAA tournament one other time--'87. The season is tainted because of how it ended, but we can still give props to how good that team was in the regular season.
That was a once in a lifetime collection of talent and yet fundamentally flawed due to a lack of defense at the guard spots.

That was a once in a lifetime collection of talent and yet fundamentally flawed due to a lack of defense at the guard spots.
No sh*t. That's not my point. I just think you and I have very different definitions of what classifies as "decent" if you think a team that was top-10 all year and a 2 seed is just that.
In that respects, Iowa has never had a "good" regular season team in the modern era since they've never had a 1 seed.

Reactions: RocknRollface
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT