ADVERTISEMENT

#22 Hawkeye women avoid disaster w/ come from behind win

I hope the Hawkeyes learned a lesson tonight! Extremely lackluster game offensively for three quarters! Poor passing, got beat on 50/50 balls constantly and allowed Gophers to rebound their way, literally, to an 8 point half time lead. First half success opened the door to allowing a "frail-confidence" Minnesota team to start believing they could win. As a result, Minnesota played very well in the 3rd quarter. Fourth quarter was about as well as Iowa has played all year. Certainly, hope they don't start to think they can just "turn it on" and get the job done!!! VERY fortunate to pull this one out! (Minnesota's effort to milk the clock late was a God-send as it killed their momentum.)

Reactions: chuck285
Iowa with a huge road win and they survive a horrible foul cal against Makenzie Meyer with .7 seconds left. Refs also missed a couple of egregious hacks against Tomi and Kathleen in the last 3 minutes, off setting an otherwise decent effort by the refs. Definitely had a bit of a hangover from Indiana. Our defensive intensity didn't show up until the 4th quarter. Congratulations!!

Question: Bluder only played 8 players. Is this the norm this year?

that has been norm for games I have seen. Marshall and Warmack have been key subs with #1 getting few minutes

Sevillan has been a bit inconsistent with shooting g but has made some key shots over pSt few years. Looks like she did it again tonight

Reactions: Franisdaman
I hope the Hawkeyes learned a lesson tonight! Extremely lackluster game offensively for three quarters! Poor passing, got beat on 50/50 balls constantly and allowed Gophers to rebound their way, literally, to an 8 point half time lead. First half success opened the door to allowing a "frail-confidence" Minnesota team to start believing they could win. As a result, Minnesota played very well in the 3rd quarter. Fourth quarter was about as well as Iowa has played all year. Certainly, hope they don't start to think they can just "turn it on" and get the job done!!! VERY fortunate to pull this one out! (Minnesota's effort to milk the clock late was a God-send as it killed their momentum.)

they just finished two important games so some letdown along with being a road game could be anticipated. Poor passing and rebounding in first half has been ongoing trend. Nothing new there

clearly they have players who know how to win and they pulled it off again tonight

Iowa with a huge road win and they survive a horrible foul cal against Makenzie Meyer with .7 seconds left. Refs also missed a couple of egregious hacks against Tomi and Kathleen in the last 3 minutes, off setting an otherwise decent effort by the refs. Definitely had a bit of a hangover from Indiana. Our defensive intensity didn't show up until the 4th quarter. Congratulations!!
I thought the refs were pretty poor and one sided in the first half. Every time Minn. went inside they got a foul call on the defense. At the other end of the court it was just let go and they swallowed their whistles. JMO
Pretty amazing we stole this one. Way to go..

Oh, and I guess I'm too much of an arm chair coach but what the hell went wrong with the Minn. coaching staff at the very end of the game?
It seems to me that this coaching staff has never practiced what-ifs.
So they missed the front end of two free throws at the end of the game with .07 seconds to go and two points down. So how in the hell does the girl make the second free throw and expect to have a chance to win? They needed to miss the second shot by banking it off the backboard and then off the rim so it bounces farther out, back towards the free throw shooter. This way there two other players in the lane have a chance for a rebound and a quick put back to tie the game. The odds are pretty poor but you have no chance of getting the ball back from Iowa at the other end of the court and throwing it the full length of the court in .07. Truthfully this needs to be practiced way ahead of time, so you know what the hell you're doing...

Reactions: HIWILLE
Oh, and I guess I'm too much of an arm chair coach but what the hell went wrong with the Minn. coaching staff at the very end of the game?
It seems to me that this coaching staff has never practiced what-ifs.
So they missed the front end of two free throws at the end of the game with .07 seconds to go and two points down. So how in the hell does the girl make the second free throw and expect to have a chance to win? They needed to miss the second shot by banking it off the backboard and then off the rim so it bounces farther out, back towards the free throw shooter. This way there two other players in the lane have a chance for a rebound and a quick put back to tie the game. The odds are pretty poor but you have no chance of getting the ball back from Iowa at the other end of the court and throwing it the full length of the court in .07. Truthfully this needs to be practiced way ahead of time, so you know what the hell you're doing...
Sometimes it's hard to miss a free throw...

they just finished two important games so some letdown along with being a road game could be anticipated. Poor passing and rebounding in first half has been ongoing trend. Nothing new there

clearly they have players who know how to win and they pulled it off again tonight

Correct. If teams played at the same high level game after game, they would never lose and there would never be upsets. This game was going to be a battle from the get-go, Iowa had a huge week winning close home games against ranked teams and Minnesota has been dealing with personnel issues on their team. So the current Gophers roster came out and played hard at home, credit to them. This Iowa team -- despite their success -- still has flaws and those don't magically disappear with wins. Kudos to Iowa for finding a way to win the game. Those are the kinds of games that help make special seasons.

Reactions: Franisdaman
I thought the refs were pretty poor and one sided in the first half. Every time Minn. went inside they got a foul call on the defense. At the other end of the court it was just let go and they swallowed their whistles. JMO
Pretty amazing we stole this one. Way to go..

That seriously sounds like every Iowa game.

Reactions: owenhawk
Very good comeback! Down by 14 at one point.
i ended up watching the last couple minutes of the 3rd qtr and the 4th qtr

Iowa was down by 13 (70-57) with 7:46 left in the game. Iowa would outscore the Goofs 19-5 the rest of the way to pull out the 76-75 win.

Other notes:

* Minnesota missed several lay ups in the 4th qtr
* Iowa was still down 72-63 with 4:35 left in the game

Current B1G Standings:

5-1 IOWA
5-1 Rutgers (play ONE TIME, there, on March 1) @MrsScrew
5-1 Northwestern (won by 26 there; ONLY MEETING)
4-2 Indiana (won by 6 at home; ONLY MEETING)
4-2 Maryland (won by 5 at home; play there on Feb 13)
3-3 FIVE TEAMS
1-5 FOUR TEAMS

my gosh, the BTN Plus announcers were just awful, as one would expect.

on that play where Meyer was called for a foul, the color guy said "good call."

Correct. If teams played at the same high level game after game, they would never lose and there would never be upsets. This game was going to be a battle from the get-go, Iowa had a huge week winning close home games against ranked teams and Minnesota has been dealing with personnel issues on their team. So the current Gophers roster came out and played hard at home, credit to them. This Iowa team -- despite their success -- still has flaws and those don't magically disappear with wins. Kudos to Iowa for finding a way to win the game. Those are the kinds of games that help make special seasons.
IIRC, last season, when Iowa beat Maryland at home and they thought they broke through & would win (or tie for) the B1G Championship, the very next game (where they were favored to win) they had a let down and they lost

The last couple years I started watching all televised Hawkeye women's basketball games...now I'm to the point I follow the game tracker when it isn't televised. They like the mens team are just plain fun to watch.

Watched it on the iPad and I couldn't believe it, maybe this will help us land that top kid out of Minnesota .:D Her name is blank right now. Could it be Hart?
Class of 2021? 2022? we got Caitlin Clark coming in. that"s gonna be sweet. are we in serious running for the young lady?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT