ADVERTISEMENT

24 year old man needed double lung transplant, wishes he'd been vaccinated

TheCainer

HR Legend
Sep 23, 2003
Oh well. Live(?), and learn.

A 24-year-old Georgia man who contracted COVID-19 and required a double lung transplant, and who remains hospitalized, has expressed his regret he did not get vaccinated for the virus, which has so far killed more than 607,000 Americans.

Blake Bargatze had told his parents he was putting off receiving a COVID-19 vaccine because he felt uncertain about its possible side effects, WSB-TV in Atlanta reported.

“He wanted to wait a few years to see, you know, if there’s any side effects or anything from it,” said Paul Nuclo, his stepfather. “As soon as he got in the hospital, though, he said he wished he had gotten the vaccine.”

Bargatze was the only member of his family who passed on getting vaccinated, Cheryl Nuclo, his mother, told Fox 5 Atlanta. Once hospitalized, however, he asked to be inoculated.

“The night before he was intubated, he wanted it,” Nuclo said. “So it was a little bit too late then.”

Bargatze, who had no preexisting medical conditions and has endured prolonged intensive care stays at hospitals in three different states over the last three months, believes he contracted COVID-19 during an April visit to Florida.

“He had called me that Friday when he got the results,” Bargatze's mother told WSB-TV, “and he’s like, ‘Mom, you’re going to be mad. I got COVID.’”

A GoFundMe page set up by Bargatze’s friends is raising money to help cover his medical bills.

Blake Bargatze (GoFundMe)

Blake Bargatze. (GoFundMe)
“He was initially admitted to ICU at St. Mary’s in West Palm Beach, FL on April 10th, and then he was air transported to Piedmont Atlanta Hospital on April 24th to be placed on ECMO,” the GoFundMe page states, referring to an extracorporeal membrane oxygenation machine. “Many complications occurred during his hospital stay that caused extensive damage to his lungs, requiring the need for a double lung transplant to survive. Blake was transferred to the University of Maryland Medical Center on June 12th. He remains on the ventilator and ECMO as he waits for the lung transplant.”

Thanks to the spread of the Delta variant of COVID-19, the number of new cases has increased nationwide by a staggering 109 percent over the last two weeks. Deaths from the disease, which had fallen precipitously as more Americans were vaccinated for it, have also begun ticking back up as vaccination rates have stalled.

Bargatze’s mother said her son wants vaccine skeptics to learn from what happened to him and to get vaccinated for COVID-19.

“Maybe if some people were kind of on the fence and swaying, he wants them to see what might be the extreme of what can happen,” she told WSB. “Not using a fear tactic — but it can happen.”

https://www.aol.com/news/24-old-needed-double-lung-180810881.html

Too bad those kids have to live in households with people who aren't so "safe from covid".

Dumbass
And that's why those people can get the vaccine and not the kids. The highest risk people should be taken into account and not just blast everyone with a vaccine that have an extremely low risk.

And that's why those people can get the vaccine and not the kids. The highest risk people should be taken into account and not just blast everyone with a vaccine that have an extremely low risk.
The problem is, those people aren’t getting the vaccine. So, they end up like these dumb asses and we all end up paying more in healthcare costs.

The problem is, those people aren’t getting the vaccine. So, they end up like these dumb asses and we all end up paying more in healthcare costs.
That's the price of freedom. Isn't that the same argument for those people who decide to get abortions that our healthcare costs go up based upon their choice? Freedom and liberty comes at a cost sometimes, that's why the civil war happened.

That's the price of freedom. Isn't that the same argument for those people who decide to get abortions that our healthcare costs go up based upon their choice? Freedom and liberty comes at a cost sometimes, that's why the civil war happened.
I don’t want to pay your costs. Oh and since you brought abortion into it, I’m pro-Life. But, I guess that is another thing I’m sick paying for because people are scared of science.

I wasn't really talking about vaccinating children though I'll have zero issues with it once it's approved. You don't think there's a cost when they take the virus home and infect their parents or grandparents? Children are most assuredly NOT "safe" from this disease.

I wasn't really talking about vaccinating children though I'll have zero issues with it once it's approved. You don't think there's a cost when they take the virus home and infect their parents or grandparents? Children are most assuredly NOT "safe" from this disease.
Their risk, as the data has shown, is considerably less. With vaccines/early treatment now available to those at risk, there is little reason to make kids let alone those that don't want the vaccine have to get it.

Their risk, as the data has shown, is considerably less. With vaccines/early treatment now available to those at risk, there is little reason to make kids let alone those that don't want the vaccine have to get it.
So what happens when a freely circulating virus that has shown the ability to mutate becomes more virulent in children? Oops? Your bad?

So what happens when a freely circulating virus that has shown the ability to mutate becomes more virulent in children? Oops? Your bad?
That's not what happens when virus' mutate. We also have treatments, like Ivermectin, that make this a much more manageable issue than giving a vaccine.

That's not what happens when virus' mutate. We also have treatments, like Ivermectin, that make this a much more manageable issue than giving a vaccine.
Honest question, is Ivermectin administered in a hospital setting or is it outpatient?

You have no f'n idea how a virus can mutate. Mutations are random and the more opportunities a virus has to mutate, the more likely that you get a virus that does something nasty. And that you thnk treatment trumps prevention is another shining star in your idiot cap.

You have no f'n idea how a virus can mutate. Mutations are random and the more opportunities a virus has to mutate, the more likely that you get a virus that does something nasty. And that you thnk treatment trumps prevention is another shining star in your idiot cap.
My knowledge comes from listening to many scientists discussing how virus' mutate and how they know when they mutate, they become weaker. There really isn't much to argue about with that and here we are once again having you say I'm an idiot when you're constantly full of shit and don't know wtf you're talking about. Current vaccines combined with treatment for those who don't want the vaccine (which is their choice) can help eliminate this virus and reach herd immunity. Go do actual research instead of listening to MSM and Fraudchi. Dumbass

My knowledge comes from listening to many scientists discussing how virus' mutate and how they know when they mutate, they become weaker. There really isn't much to argue about with that and here we are once again having you say I'm an idiot when you're constantly full of shit and don't know wtf you're talking about. Current vaccines combined with treatment for those who don't want the vaccine (which is their choice) can help eliminate this virus and reach herd immunity. Go do actual research instead of listening to MSM and Fraudchi. Dumbass
LOL...like that 1918 flu virus? Or the 1957 flu virus? Or the 1968 flu virus? We'll never reach "herd immunity" because this virus will continue to mutate and find ways around vaccines because it is freely circulating in the population. It's what mutable viruses do.

So, if they are taking it in a hospital it costs a shit ton more than the jab. Any medical studies showing the efficacy of it as a prophylactic?
It doesn't cost hardly anything in the hospital because the drug has been around for 40 years and out of patent. Is it more than going to the pharmacy, sure, but the drug is very inexpensive versus something like Remdesivir. Yes, there are studies showing it's efficacy with the most prominent one being the one in Argentina used in a clinical setting giving it to healthcare workers versus healthcare workers who did not use it and the cases of covid as a result. Good one to check out.

LOL...like that 1918 flu virus? Or the 1957 flu virus? Or the 1968 flu virus? We'll never reach "herd immunity" because this virus will continue to mutate and find ways around vaccines because it is freely circulating in the population. It's what mutable viruses do.
Viruses will never go away, that is true. Herd immunity, it seems from your standpoint, means 100% gone which is not the way to think about it. Please show me anywhere that states, from a scientific standpoint, that viruses become stronger as they mutate. I'll wait.

My knowledge comes from listening to many scientists discussing how virus' mutate and how they know when they mutate, they become weaker. There really isn't much to argue about with that....
This is not correct. Most mutations are less successful (from the virus' point of view - meaning they have a harder time infecting and/or reproducing) and are less harmful to humans for that reason. But some are more harmful.

We have already seen several more harmful mutations spreading around. The less harmful ones aren't the ones we focus upon.

I don't know what current R0 calculations say, but I've heard that the alpha (UK) variant was around .6 more transmissible than the original SARS-CoV-2 and that the delta variant is around .6 more transmissible than the alpha.

At one time, people were pegging the original virus at R0 = 1.4. If that number has held up, that would mean the R0 for the delta variant is close to 3.6.

That's very scary, even if the mortality rate hasn't changed.

It doesn't cost hardly anything in the hospital because the drug has been around for 40 years and out of patent. Is it more than going to the pharmacy, sure, but the drug is very inexpensive versus something like Remdesivir. Yes, there are studies showing it's efficacy with the most prominent one being the one in Argentina used in a clinical setting giving it to healthcare workers versus healthcare workers who did not use it and the cases of covid as a result. Good one to check out.
The drug may not cost that much, but the jab is more likely to avoid the hospital stay, which is what costs a lot of money.

This is not correct. Most mutations are less successful (from the virus' point of view - meaning they have a harder time infecting and/or reproducing) and are less harmful to humans for that reason. But some are more harmful.

We have already seen several more harmful mutations spreading around. The less harmful ones aren't the ones we focus upon.

I don't know what current R0 calculations say, but I've heard that the alpha (UK) variant was around .6 more transmissible than the original SARS-CoV-2 and that the delta variant is around .6 more transmissible than the alpha.

At one time, people were pegging the original virus at R0 = 1.4. If that number has held up, that would mean the R0 for the delta variant is close to 3.6.

That's very scary, even if the mortality rate hasn't changed.
This is all around an incorrect post. None of the mutations of covid are more harmful (deaths). Delta has a significantly less CFR than previous. Is it more contagious? Sure. It is weaker, just like all the science surrounding mutations.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT