ADVERTISEMENT

43 hospital ICUs in 21 Florida counties have hit capacity & show 0 beds available

e4e53478ab6cf55639490623f69681ec.jpg

This from the Orlando Sentinel

“I know we always have a concern about beds and what is available in the county for our residents,” said Dr. Raul Pino, health officer at the Florida Department of Health in Orange County, during a press briefing on Monday. “Although we have seen an increase in the number of hospitalizations, the systems are reporting that they are not concerned about the need for surge yet as a system. It could be that a hospital has more cases than another and things have to reshuffled on readjust[ed].”

Or from Escambia County

https://weartv.com/news/local/state-reports-limited-number-of-icu-beds-available-in-escambia-county

Sacred Heart provided this statement to Channel 3 on the matter:

The ICU capacity at Ascension Sacred Heart Pensacola often operates near capacity, in part because of our role at a regional Trauma Center and a hospital that provides many complex surgeries and cares for very ill patients. We are not currently having problems managing our ICU capacity and if we do reach a point where we have a sustained surge of patients requiring intensive care, we have a surge plan that allows the hospital to expand our ICU capacity. We continue to follow the guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and stand ready to meet the needs of the community during the coronavirus pandemic. We remain in close contact with local and state public health agencies, public officials and other area hospitals.

More fear mongering to scare the ignorant. Hospitals usually operate ICU beds at around 85%+ with most closer to 100% capacity (you’re not supposed to know this or it’s not as easy to mislead and scare you). The number of beds can be expanded well above the listed 100%. There’s 983 ICU beds available in the state. That is approximately 16% available. There are 300+ hospitals in Florida and virtually all have hospital beds available. It’s just more fake news to keep people in constant upheaval.

More fear mongering to scare the ignorant. Hospitals usually operate ICU beds at around 85%+ with most closer to 100% capacity (you’re not supposed to know this or it’s not as easy to mislead and scare you). The number of beds can be expanded well above the listed 100%. There’s 983 ICU beds available in the state. That is approximately 16% available. There are 300+ hospitals in Florida and virtually all have hospital beds available. It’s just more fake news to keep people in constant upheaval.

This is fear mongering?

Many hospitals in Florida are apparently using ICU's for isolation rather than intensive care treatment. The Florida DOH is monitoring that so they know the true picture. It's definitely something to watch and be careful about.

Meanwhile, nationwide, deaths remain below 700 per day so far in July.

Bingo. In February my grandfather had an episode with internal bleeding. We had trouble finding an open bed in Omaha for him. They finally found one open ICU bed thank God. I will say that during his 4 day stay, there were times that we as a family were able to hang out next door as beds opened up. But to think finding ICU beds during “normal” times isn’t difficult at times is simply fear mongering or just not knowing.

This from the Orlando Sentinel

“I know we always have a concern about beds and what is available in the county for our residents,” said Dr. Raul Pino, health officer at the Florida Department of Health in Orange County, during a press briefing on Monday. “Although we have seen an increase in the number of hospitalizations, the systems are reporting that they are not concerned about the need for surge yet as a system. It could be that a hospital has more cases than another and things have to reshuffled on readjust[ed].”

Or from Escambia County

https://weartv.com/news/local/state-reports-limited-number-of-icu-beds-available-in-escambia-county

Sacred Heart provided this statement to Channel 3 on the matter:

The ICU capacity at Ascension Sacred Heart Pensacola often operates near capacity, in part because of our role at a regional Trauma Center and a hospital that provides many complex surgeries and cares for very ill patients. We are not currently having problems managing our ICU capacity and if we do reach a point where we have a sustained surge of patients requiring intensive care, we have a surge plan that allows the hospital to expand our ICU capacity. We continue to follow the guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and stand ready to meet the needs of the community during the coronavirus pandemic. We remain in close contact with local and state public health agencies, public officials and other area hospitals.

has anything changed in Escambia county since that article (dated 6/29)?

Do you think we should wait to implement mitigation strategies until we hit capacity or should we do that sometime before?

Read my other post in this thread.

Do you really think anyone, State DOH or hospitals, are waiting?

Last edited:
Are they in the ICU's? That would be scary, I agree.

The REALLY scary thing is that this is just the tip of the iceberg thanks to our Magat leadership. The real influx of dead and dying is probably 4-6 weeks from now. All those dumb%*%es who believe Drumpf and Desantis and partied down on the Fourth will be getting sick and giving it to their elderly relatives in a couple of weeks and then a percentage of the “healthy” dumb@$$es will be dying or severely sick in 4-6 weeks as their immune system almost fought it off but their elderly relatives will be sick and dying within two weeks of getting it in a week or three. So August looks like it’s going to be bodybag time thanks to Magat “leadership” and dumb@$$es.

Do you think we should wait to implement mitigation strategies until we hit capacity or should we do that sometime before?
There are no back up plans? A nurse friend of mine worked out of Lincoln at an overflow facility for 3 weeks. Then they closed it down because they didn’t have anyone to take care of. I’m going to bet they have similar facilities across the country, especially if they had those facilities set up in such a conservative state as Nebraska.

There are no back up plans? A nurse friend of mine worked out of Lincoln at an overflow facility for 3 weeks. Then they closed it down because they didn’t have anyone to take care of. I’m going to bet they have similar facilities across the country, especially if they had those facilities set up in such a conservative state as Nebraska.

I thought the goal was not to overwhelm the system, if we are having to use Overflow Facilities it would seem we are overwhelming the system. There is more to it than just beds and if we have as many hotspots as what appears to be developing across the nation where will the overflow nurses and doctors come from or are you saying quality of care isn't important?

The REALLY scary thing is that this is just the tip of the iceberg thanks to our Magat leadership. The real influx of dead and dying is probably 4-6 weeks from now. All those dumb%*%es who believe Drumpf and Desantis and partied down on the Fourth will be getting sick and giving it to their elderly relatives in a couple of weeks and then a percentage of the “healthy” dumb@$$es will be dying or severely sick in 4-6 weeks as their immune system almost fought it off but their elderly relatives will be sick and dying within two weeks of getting it in a week or three. So August looks like it’s going to be bodybag time thanks to Magat “leadership” and dumb@$$es.

4 - 6 weeks from now? If the reopening at the beginning of May (10 weeks ago) was responsible, we should have already seen a sharp increase in deaths by now. If Memorial Day (6 weeks ago) was responsible, we should be seeing a sharp increase in deaths now.

I guess 2 weeks just isn't enough for 'I told you so' anymore. If we go out far enough, maybe people will forget the failed predictions.

Keep blaming Trump and slurring his followers. That helps your credibility with all the Trump haters, but doesn't help make your point with anyone else.

I thought the goal was not to overwhelm the system, if we are having to use Overflow Facilities it would seem we are overwhelming the system. There is more to it than just beds and if we have as many hotspots as what appears to be developing across the nation where will the overflow nurses and doctors come from or are you saying quality of care isn't important?
Huh? You insinuated that there aren’t plans in place for overflow (“mitigation strategies”). I simply stated that’s not true. If that’s not what you meant, then my apologies.

Huh? You insinuated that there aren’t plans in place for overflow (“mitigation strategies”). I simply stated that’s not true. If that’s not what you meant, then my apologies.

Essentially we are working with a math problem and statistical projection model so if we know X number of people are getting infected and we have their age/pre-existing condition breakout we can reasonable project how many beds will be needed. If FL, in this case, is starting to bump up against their bed/ICU limits it would be a good idea to implement public policy mitigation strategies like; required mask learning, closing indoor bars/night clubs, moving schools to online only, etc. I think our goal should be not to have to revert to some sort of overflow strategy and propped up temporary beds bc if we are hitting that point it means a whole lot of people are likely dying.

Last edited:
Are they at capacity?
LOL. Really? That is your response? Did I say we are over capacity yet? Nope.

We do a 860% increase in hospitalizations and go from 5 patients to 43 in 9 days and that is all you got for a come back? Nothing to see here...move along. TMH has 4 ICU beds left and CRMC has 5 so we are fine.

Reactions: FSUTribe76

We do a 860% increase in hospitalizations and go from 5 patients to 43 in 9 days and that is all you got for a come back? Nothing to see here...move along. TMH has 4 ICU beds left and CRMC has 5 so we are fine.

Yes, that's my response. You put raw numbers out there with no context. It didn't take long for me to find context, but every poster / reader might not want to go to that trouble.

Only 5 patients 9 days ago? How does that hospital survive?

Are they in the ICU's? That would be scary, I agree.
No-I would say mostly not, though the ICU beds are down to 9. Still it is a very worrying number considering up until about a week ago we were doing good. But we have quickly gone up from the 400-500 range to now 1800 cases and they are seeing it at the hospitals now. Part of the issues too is Tallahassee serves a large area so you are seeing cases from other counties as well. It is note worthy hopefully it plateaus quick and does not keep growing.

Reactions: Finance85
Yes, that's my response. You put raw numbers out there with no context. It didn't take long for me to find context, but every poster / reader might not want to go to that trouble.
That was not my intent-I said nothing about ICU and have shared the rise in hospitalizations several other times elsewhere. A 860% increase in COVID-19 hospitalization over 9 days in Tallahassee of all places is not great. Hospitalization and ICU rates are now rising. We can only hope not too much and not too fast.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
That was not my intent-I said nothing about ICU and have shared the rise in hospitalizations several other times elsewhere. A 860% increase in COVID-19 hospitalization over 9 days in Tallahassee of all places is not great. Hospitalization and ICU rates are now rising. We can only hope not too much and not too fast.

Fair enough.

I had to temporarily unblock him to see who you were arguing with but there’s no point in arguing with Finance, he’s an unrepentant full Koolaid drinker of the death cult. It’s not even worth pointing out that some of us (ie me) are owners of residential medical facilities and medical supply companies (who sells oxygen, cpap, “full ventilators” etc) who have been contacted by full Florida hospitals desperate for more space and equipment. He knows all (in his tiny Magat brain). He somehow can’t figure out simple biology and math works for the virus ie heathy irresponsible dumb@$$es needing 4-6 weeks to get sick enough to die or the epidemiology of how all these heathy dumb@$&)es will now be spreading it to elderly and sickly relatives over the next few weeks. He seems to think it’s some Hollywoodesque disease where you get it and immediately start spreading it or dying like a zombie plague. That’s not even how real Ebola works.

Reactions: noleclone2
I had to temporarily unblock him to see who you were arguing with but there’s no point in arguing with Finance, he’s an unrepentant full Koolaid drinker of the death cult. It’s not even worth pointing out that some of us (ie me) are owners of residential medical facilities and medical supply companies (who sells oxygen, cpap, “full ventilators” etc) who have been contacted by full Florida hospitals desperate for more space and equipment. He knows all (in his tiny Magat brain). He somehow can’t figure out simple biology and math works for the virus ie heathy irresponsible dumb@$$es needing 4-6 weeks to get sick enough to die or the epidemiology of how all these heathy dumb@$&)es will now be spreading it to elderly and sickly relatives over the next few weeks. He seems to think it’s some Hollywoodesque disease where you get it and immediately start spreading it or dying like a zombie plague. That’s not even how real Ebola works.

Please block me.

So?

It's not like they can "intermix" Covid with non-Covid patients in the same areas....

#GoodGodYouAreDumb

Each hospital has a plan. The DOH has a plan. They are working together. They know more than you. Even if I am dumb, I'm smart enough to understand there's a plan, and I'm smart enough to know the people that developed the plan are smarter than you.

Reactions: tellin the truth
So will Florida represent our first direct over-capacity deaths? Has this happened yet?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT