ADVERTISEMENT

5-1 and hill has looked shaky but…

If you want some positive spin on Hill - he started 1/10. After that he was 5/11 - not great by any means but better. And that long pass he was not pressured. He just stood there and made a nice smooth throw right on the money. I was shocked, by the way! LOL

From what I hear from inside the program is that the route trees are complicated. If the DB does X, the receiver should do Y. And the QB and WR have to be on the same page. Just too much thinking going on. He allegedly simplified it last year but it still looks like a mess to me
There are reads yes.

His first real action receivers were dropping the ball all over the place. His first start he looked pretty keyed up. Obviously getting settled into the role will help and I hope that is the case…..especially headed into Wisconsin. He displayed the touch needed on the TD pass to All for sure so he CAN do it.

If you want some positive spin on Hill - he started 1/10. After that he was 5/11 - not great by any means but better. And that long pass he was not pressured. He just stood there and made a nice smooth throw right on the money. I was shocked, by the way! LOL
He reminds of Petras huge arm but under pressure he hurries his throws!But when the pocket is clean he can make the throws.JMO

Completion percentage isn't the whole story here. A lot of people look at his "overthrows" and probably don't realize that some of those were intentional throwaways to avoid a sack/grounding. Incompletions are bad for a qb's stat sheet, but they are much better than sacks. This is something Petras never understood, he ate the ball way too much.

Hill made some nice throws when guys actually got a few yards of separation. Lack of wr separation and protection has been the biggest problem for Iowa the past few years. Healthy Cade > Padilla > Injured Cade > Hill > Petras.

Yes, I don't think Hill has taken many sacks so far. He gets the ball out, one way or another. He does need to complete more, but Cade was only around 50%...so not a high bar for Hll to get to

I'd stick with Hill and see if he improves. Unlike KF, I don't think it is that big a deal to switch QBs.. If Hill isn't getting it done next game and we are behind, I don't think it is a big deal to play Labas or someone else at QB.

Reactions: desihawk
Yes, I don't think Hill has taken many sacks so far. He gets the ball out, one way or another. He does need to complete more, but Cade was only around 50%...so not a high bar for Hll to get to

I'd stick with Hill and see if he improves. Unlike KF, I don't think it is that big a deal to switch QBs.. If Hill isn't getting it done next game and we are behind, I don't think it is a big deal to play Labas or someone else at QB.
I agree with this, although there's much we don't know about Labas's situation. All we know is that he was injured for a while and has returned to practice. We don't know the nature of the injury, whether he has fully recovered, and how much time he missed. We've also only seen him play in exactly one game and the opponent had guys out.

He was Wiscy's #3 or #4 QB. He is our starter. Really has had no game experience since high school. I think he was over throwing the ballbecause he was too amped up. 2nd half he settled in a bit better.

He limited turnovers and seemed to be a leader. I'm giving him a pass for several weeks, to get his feet more grounded. My question is, first and goal on the five, why no QB sneaks? Why not under center. He is 258lbs., geeze.
Sad that guys we recruited 2-3 years ago have less ability than a backup Wisconsin QB that has been with the Iowa program for a few months. Says a lot about our ability to develop QBs in a "developmental" program. Who is the QB coach?

Last edited:
Not clear what the point is, exactly. College football has limited eligibility, so it's quite common for guys to move up the depth chart from one year to the next, especially if there are also injuries.
The point is Iowa is having to play the 3rd or 4th string option at best between Iowa/Wisconsin.
Iowa has failed at QB for 5 straight classes, likely 6. Who knows on the current recruit

No ability to identify a QB is why a 4th stringer who's only other option was Wagoner is playing

Sad that guys we recruited 2-3 years ago have less ability than a backup Wisconsin QB that has been with the Iowa program for a few months. Says a lot about our ability to develop QBs in a "developmental" program. Who is the QB coach?
There's only one of those guys on the roster, and he was out injured for a while. Current QB #3 is a true freshman.

The point is Iowa is having to play the 3rd or 4th string option at best between Iowa/Wisconsin.
Iowa has failed at QB for 5 straight classes, likely 6. Who knows on the current recruit

No ability to identify a QB is why a 4th stringer who's only other option was Wagoner is playing
He was third or fourth best option last year. By itself that means little for this season. Lainez is our true frosh who has moved up from QB #4 to #3 with Cade's injury. Will he always remain no better than option 3 or 4 in your eyes?

Reactions: desihawk
He has TD drives in the last two games where his arm got us there, outside of the scripted plays.

Cade has 4 TDS on the season. Two of those came first quarter against USU. after that just two TD throws in the next 11 quarters.

Hill has two in the last 6. Maybe Deacon just has to have one or two TD drives per game with our D and ST to win out. We’re boom or bust on offense with only 15-20% of drives successful right now. But maybe that and low turnovers is all we need to be good.

Delicious frosting on a cake made of poop.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
Completion percentage isn't the whole story here. A lot of people look at his "overthrows" and probably don't realize that some of those were intentional throwaways to avoid a sack/grounding. Incompletions are bad for a qb's stat sheet, but they are much better than sacks. This is something Petras never understood, he ate the ball way too much.

Hill made some nice throws when guys actually got a few yards of separation. Lack of wr separation and protection has been the biggest problem for Iowa the past few years. Healthy Cade > Padilla > Injured Cade > Hill > Petras.
This! ☝️

Why? With the transfer portal, guys leave all the time at every position. BF's (in)ability to develop QBs has no necessary bearing on how many previous QB recruits are on the roster.

They got a nice transfer QB.... unfortunately he seems to be injury prone.

HOPEFULLY he can have a healthy senior season, but better have a legit #2.

And PLEASE recruit a QB that runs faster than a 6.5 40.

From what I hear from inside the program is that the route trees are complicated. If the DB does X, the receiver should do Y. And the QB and WR have to be on the same page. Just too much thinking going on. He allegedly simplified it last year but it still looks like a mess to me
If the offense is too complicated, it is the wrong offense.

Reactions: Legs94
Why? With the transfer portal, guys leave all the time at every position. BF's (in)ability to develop QBs has no necessary bearing on how many previous QB recruits are on the roster.
Why doesn't it? I get the transfer portal is now more of an option going in and out. If they identified and developed the right QB 2-3 years ago, they would not need to go to the transfer portal. If they had developed/identified a QB, they would not have needed to spend NIL on McNamara and used it for other positions.

Why are we not having our WRs run routes that the opposing DBs have to react to? Why are we making our already slow, mediocre WRs have to think and react more?

I watched a lot of football yesterday and paid more attention to WR routes. It’s not rocket science to scheme routes where our guys are not running side by side/the exact same route. Plus, good OCs usually have a safety valve WR or RB in case the king play breaks down. We don’t do any of that. We just throw our hands up in the air and take the sack
We have only given up 2 sacks the last 2 games...

Reactions: Madman_1
Why doesn't it? I get the transfer portal is now more of an option going in and out. If they identified and developed the right QB 2-3 years ago, they would not need to go to the transfer portal. If they had developed/identified a QB, they would not have needed to spend NIL on McNamara and used it for other positions.
You've added talent identification (and by implication, recruiting), which is a separate issue. And we were discussing Hill, not McNamara, the guy who was QB 3 or 4 last year, then QB2 this season before becoming QB1 due to injury. The claim was we should have a better guy than Hill available, because of where he stood on last season's depth chart at another school.

You've added talent identification (and by implication, recruiting), which is a separate issue. And we were discussing Hill, not McNamara, the guy who was QB 3 or 4 last year, then QB2 this season before becoming QB1 due to injury. The claim was we should have a better guy than Hill available, because of where he stood on last season's depth chart at another school.
This makes no sense, go hawks

This thread is filled with wishful thinking.

Two games in with this guy, 40% completion percentage and 28% completion percentage. Those are facts.

We may have the worst starting QB of all P5 teams. We have a fully delusional segment of our fanbase. Some sort of psychosis.

@HawkOn15 #1 most braindead fan.
I’d say all that wishful thinking was just that…people grasping at straws….☠️

The biggest negative of KF legacy is how absolutely bad he and his hired staff is at developing qbs. Hill showed over and over he was consistently prone to throwing it off the mark, fumble, and hurt the offense. You have to have someone available in waiting when it’s clear that regardless of winning, you can still make a qb change. What if hill or Mac didn’t transfer here, would the product actually be worst than what we seen tonight?

The biggest negative of KF legacy is how absolutely bad he and his hired staff is at developing qbs. Hill showed over and over he was consistently prone to throwing it off the mark, fumble, and hurt the offense. You have to have someone available in waiting when it’s clear that regardless of winning, you can still make a qb change. What if hill or Mac didn’t transfer here, would the product actually be worst than what we seen tonight?
I honestly can’t envision it being even worse…🙁 I think media around the country (not just disgruntled Iowa fans) are just dumbfounded that BF still has a job as OC….

I honestly can’t envision it being even worse…🙁 I think media around the country (not just disgruntled Iowa fans) are just dumbfounded that BF still has a job as OC….
It's obvious to anyone that an OC with that level of performance would have been fired last season at any other program. He still has his job solely because of who his father is. We know it, anyone who follows college football knows it and most definitely Kirk and Brian know it.

The guy that won’t be back. So then there’s that.

Wow. In rereading this thread, it would seem Deacon had some upside, then the staff ruined him as the season progressed.

Seen this anywhere before?

The staff gets into the QB's ear too much on what you can't do instead of explaining the possibilities of what you can do.

Last edited:
Reactions: CarterHall
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT