ADVERTISEMENT

5-1 and hill has looked shaky but…

BigAssTurkeyLeg

HR MVP
Gold Member
Sep 23, 2021
He has TD drives in the last two games where his arm got us there, outside of the scripted plays.

Cade has 4 TDS on the season. Two of those came first quarter against USU. after that just two TD throws in the next 11 quarters.

Hill has two in the last 6. Maybe Deacon just has to have one or two TD drives per game with our D and ST to win out. We’re boom or bust on offense with only 15-20% of drives successful right now. But maybe that and low turnovers is all we need to be good.

He has TD drives in the last two games where his arm got us there, outside of the scripted plays.

Cade has 4 TDS on the season. Two of those came first quarter against USU. after that just two TD throws in the next 11 quarters.

Hill has two in the last 6. Maybe Deacon just has to have one or two TD drives per game with our D and ST to win out. We’re boom or bust on offense with only 15-20% of drives successful right now. But maybe that and low turnovers is all we need to be good.
The records of our remaining foes is a combined 19-16.

He has a strong arm, he seems to know the playbook as far as plays being called are concerned. Yes, he needs to settle down and put some touch on his passes however our WR's need to get separation and hold on to the ball.

With the return of our RB's and Deacon getting reps I can see the offense improving each week.

Last edited:
I think he did get incrementally better today. He needs to get a lot better if Iowa is going to make any noise to end the season with. I do like his arm strength though. That first deep pass was like 65 yards in the air or something like that. He just needs to be more accurate. Right now he couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat.

Completion percentage isn't the whole story here. A lot of people look at his "overthrows" and probably don't realize that some of those were intentional throwaways to avoid a sack/grounding. Incompletions are bad for a qb's stat sheet, but they are much better than sacks. This is something Petras never understood, he ate the ball way too much.

Hill made some nice throws when guys actually got a few yards of separation. Lack of wr separation and protection has been the biggest problem for Iowa the past few years. Healthy Cade > Padilla > Injured Cade > Hill > Petras.

Completion percentage isn't the whole story here. A lot of people look at his "overthrows" and probably don't realize that some of those were intentional throwaways to avoid a sack/grounding. Incompletions are bad for a qb's stat sheet, but they are much better than sacks. This is something Petras never understood, he ate the ball way too much.

Hill made some nice throws when guys actually got a few yards of separation. Lack of wr separation and protection has been the biggest problem for Iowa the past few years. Healthy Cade > Padilla > Injured Cade > Hill > Petras.
Hard to say Hill is better than Petras at this point. The stats seem to indicate otherwise. At this point, I wish Petras had kept practicing because he’d be our best option unfortunately.

I think he did get incrementally better today. He needs to get a lot better if Iowa is going to make any noise to end the season with. I do like his arm strength though. That first deep pass was like 65 yards in the air or something like that. He just needs to be more accurate. Right now he couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat.
I disagree about him being better. I felt he regressed, and I was disappointed as I thought he WOULD be better.

He was WAY off target on too many throws (and I am not including the throw aways). Still has too much zip although his TD to All had a nice touch to it.

I like how he throws down field a lot.....even though these are mostly off target, I believe it has helped the running game by forcing the defense to respect the pass. Future opponents will see this on film and won't be so quick to load up the box.

He has a strong arm, he seems to know the playbook as far as plays being called are concerned. Yes, he needs to settle down and put some touch on his passes however our WR's need to get separation and hold on to the ball.

With the return of our RB's and Deacon getting reps I can see the offense improving each week.
On the separation, either the WRs we have can't get it or Brian isn't schematically getting them open. Either is an indictment on our WR development.

Reactions: RicoSuave102954
On the separation, either the WRs we have can't get it or Brian isn't schematically getting them open. Either is an indictment on our WR development.
From what I hear from inside the program is that the route trees are complicated. If the DB does X, the receiver should do Y. And the QB and WR have to be on the same page. Just too much thinking going on. He allegedly simplified it last year but it still looks like a mess to me

The beginning of the game we had guys running wide open and he was literally throwing 2-3 yards over their heads. He was awful yesterday. Cmon boys.

Hill was more than shaky, bad is a more apt description.

All was really impressive in this game, can only imagine how bad the offense would be without him in this game.

I know we have been told stats don't matter and Iowa is choosing to be this bad on offense, but, Hill had a QBR of 2 in the game, the lowest rated qualified QB in QBR has a 21 for the season.

From what I hear from inside the program is that the route trees are complicated. If the DB does X, the receiver should do Y. And the QB and WR have to be on the same page. Just too much thinking going on. He allegedly simplified it last year but it still looks like a mess to me
Why are we not having our WRs run routes that the opposing DBs have to react to? Why are we making our already slow, mediocre WRs have to think and react more?

I watched a lot of football yesterday and paid more attention to WR routes. It’s not rocket science to scheme routes where our guys are not running side by side/the exact same route. Plus, good OCs usually have a safety valve WR or RB in case the king play breaks down. We don’t do any of that. We just throw our hands up in the air and take the sack

Reactions: NoWokeBloke
Hill was more than shaky, bad is a more apt description.

All was really impressive in this game, can only imagine how bad the offense would be without him in this game.

I know we have been told stats don't matter and Iowa is choosing to be this bad on offense, but, Hill had a QBR of 2 in the game, the lowest rated qualified QB in QBR has a 21 for the season.
It’s funny people trying to justify this. Lowest rated QB in all of college football yesterday.

No, just no. 6/21 is awful. Overthrows is what he does 90% of the time on his incompletions. Throws into dbl and triple coverage. Any QB can "make some nice throws", consistency with accuracy is paramount.

If true, I don't understand that philosophy. The DB should be reacting to the WR, not vice-versa.

It's no wonder the passing game is a mess.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
If true, I don't understand that philosophy. The DB should be reacting to the WR, not vice-versa.

It's no wonder the passing game is a mess.
Agreed. This might work if our WRs and QBs were 5 star talent but they’re not great at all

Is Wisconsin any good this year. I haven’t seen them.
An Iowa team like this would normally go into Madison and have one of their worst offensive productions of the year. Is there any reason we all should not expect the same given this Iowa team ?

That concept is not out of the ordinary. Heck even some high school programs do it
Not saying you're wrong, but I'm skeptical.

The WR has the advantage because they know where they are going, and the DB does not. It seems to me, with a passing offense that struggles as much as the Hawks, the less the QB and WR's have to "think", and the simpler it is.....the better.

I would agree with majority. Hill admitted he was jittery. It looked like he was aiming the ball rather than throwing it. He has a cannon. That first pass was 75 yards. Not too many kids can throw that far.
Get Brown back and use his speed for post and double moves. Just by throwing deep balls, it loosened up Purdue's defense and we ran the ball very effectively.
Our defense can win us every remaining game on the schedule. Big Ten West is garbage!

• Haha
Reactions: Bierhalter
Hill took a lot of heat off the receivers, who got blamed for the last game passing issue, by yesterday throwing the ball to empty portions of the field.

Reactions: littlez

Hill made the big plays, I like the fact he does not take sacks.

Reactions: F5n5
Is Wisconsin any good this year. I haven’t seen them.
An Iowa team like this would normally go into Madison and have one of their worst offensive productions of the year. Is there any reason we all should not expect the same given this Iowa team ?
No. The answer is no. But hope springs eternal.

I disagree about him being better. I felt he regressed, and I was disappointed as I thought he WOULD be better.

He was WAY off target on too many throws (and I am not including the throw aways). Still has too much zip although his TD to All had a nice touch to it.

I like how he throws down field a lot.....even though these are mostly off target, I believe it has helped the running game by forcing the defense to respect the pass. Future opponents will see this on film and won't be so quick to load up the box.
I mean, was there a time when he was an accurate thrower? We haven't seen much of him so it's hard to say. I can say that he is capable of at least rolling out, something that is required if you want to have any success as a QB at Iowa. Neither Petras or Cade (because of injury) could do that. He even completed 1 or 2 of them. But he also missed very badly on many more. If he can just iron out that play it will be an improvement.

Don't take my comment to mean that I think our QB issues are over. I still wouldn't bet money on him to be able to hit water if he fell out of a boat but I thought he at least had a couple of plays in the second half where he was able to get his stuff together, the touchdown to All be one of them.

But hey, at least we aren't Miami fans today.

Why are we not having our WRs run routes that the opposing DBs have to react to? Why are we making our already slow, mediocre WRs have to think and react more?

I watched a lot of football yesterday and paid more attention to WR routes. It’s not rocket science to scheme routes where our guys are not running side by side/the exact same route. Plus, good OCs usually have a safety valve WR or RB in case the king play breaks down. We don’t do any of that. We just throw our hands up in the air and take the sack
Hill was terrible, yes. No argument there.

I think as it comes to the receivers it would help so much to have the All 22 footage. We just can't see it. But I have zeroed in on Vines a few times away from the play, and it amazes me I see. I see him come off the ball and get a step or two on a linebacker, only because the backer has to diagnose the play, then get run down in about 5-8 yards.

When linebackers can get beat on a play and then recover enough to cover up a WR you are in major major trouble. And on top of that they can't catch.

I mean, was there a time when he was an accurate thrower? We haven't seen much of him so it's hard to say. I can say that he is capable of at least rolling out, something that is required if you want to have any success as a QB at Iowa. Neither Petras or Cade (because of injury) could do that. He even completed 1 or 2 of them. But he also missed very badly on many more. If he can just iron out that play it will be an improvement.

Don't take my comment to mean that I think our QB issues are over. I still wouldn't bet money on him to be able to hit water if he fell out of a boat but I thought he at least had a couple of plays in the second half where he was able to get his stuff together, the touchdown to All be one of them.

But hey, at least we aren't Miami fans today.
Agree that he looked better in the second half. Maybe he just had jitters starting his first game? I don't know. He likes to throw down field, which (IMO) helps the run game by keeping the defense honest.

Yep....glad we're not Miami....or Notre Dame fans today (and every day)!

Reactions: BioHawk
The wr routes off the line of scrimmage are garbage with the angle to the sideline they have to take then expect them to turn their upper bodies all the way around while running away from the qb. The one pass that should have been caught by Andersen went through his hands, deflected off helmet right to the safety. You can’t make this stuff up with the wide receiver targets or lack there of.

You’re on drugs.

Having a “strong arm” is not necessarily a good thing.

Throwing a pass early with touch that is catchable is a good thing. Hill does not do this.

Completing passes is the goal. Not MPH of the pass.

THERE ARE NO EXTRA POINTS AWARDED FOR FASTBALLS.

He was Wiscy's #3 or #4 QB. He is our starter. Really has had no game experience since high school. I think he was over throwing the ballbecause he was too amped up. 2nd half he settled in a bit better.

He limited turnovers and seemed to be a leader. I'm giving him a pass for several weeks, to get his feet more grounded. My question is, first and goal on the five, why no QB sneaks? Why not under center. He is 258lbs., geeze.

Reactions: desihawk
For the record, I really like Hill. Not because he’s accurate or elusive; I just like his moxie. He seems to have the respect of his teammates and seems to be up to taking on the challenge. Granted, he’s operating within the confines of a broken offense, but I like how he carries himself.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT