ADVERTISEMENT

6:00 left, first QT

If, if if.........it would simply mean that the West doesn't have a very good team and Iowa still has a poor offense and only a good team, not real good or excellent. There is a glaring problem that is ignored.

Huh…..who is ignoring it? And doesn’t somebody have to win the West? So a poor team or Iowa, the latter isn’t better?

You are good at erroneously jumping to conclusions. I enjoyed Iowa beating Purdue. That doesn't mean that Iowa is a great team or that Iowa has solved its big problems (nepotism and a horrible offense). I take pleasure in victories and still want to see the ship righted. Both can mutually exist.
Okay Texas Cyclone.

Reactions: bobchawk
Some reasonable takes in this thread. I am not on a soapbox at all for BF keeping his job but we do have to look at all the aspects. At the end of the day KF runs a conservative offense with a Brad Banks outlier.

Previous rankings
1999 - ?? (Ken O'Keefe)
2000 - 104/116 (Ken O'Keefe)
2001 - 45/117 (Ken O'Keefe)
2002 - 13/117 (Ken O'Keefe)
2003 - 92/117 (Ken O'Keefe)
2004 - 104/120 (Ken O'Keefe)
2005 - 22/119 (Ken O'Keefe)
2006 - 27/119 (Ken O'Keefe)
2007 - 109/119 (Ken O'Keefe)
2008 - 53/119 (Ken O'Keefe)
2009 - 89/120 (Ken O'Keefe)
2010 - 57/120 (Ken O'Keefe)
2011 - 76/120 (Ken O'Keefe)
2012 - 117/124 (Greg Davis)
2013 - 84/125 (Greg Davis)
2014 - 66/128 (Greg Davis)
2015 - 72/128 (Greg Davis)
2016 - 121/128 (Greg Davis)

BFs tenure

YearIowa points per gameNational Rank
201925.8t-88
are these points per game the O scored or just the points per game? CBS put out an article and the O since BF began running it has been in the 100's all 6 yrs. that is not good by any metric...

It is college football, guys are going to miss some throws and drop some passes. SP has been consistently hitting guys in the chest the last two weeks. Good coordinators find a way to score points with what they have. Brian appears to have had two pretty good weeks of game planning. Overall, he still has a lot to prove to show he can be a quality coordinator.
Yeah, he's earned another 5-year evaluation period. Can't have any knee-jerk reactions in Iowa City.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
so... to the OP's OP...

right around this time during the game (about 7:48 1Q)... there was a pass to Vines... I believe..
he catches the ball at the 35... about 2 yard beyond the 1st down marker..
the officials then place the ball 1 yard behind the first down marker...

a good 3 yards behind where the ball should have been spotted

you can't tell by just watching 1 of these videos... but if you piece it together...
that was as bad a spot I've ever seen in my entire life.

did anybody notice this?

then... while the coaches are arguing the spot... the ref gets on his mic and says
"the clock is fine"

Ding, ding, ding….we are in agreement! Your a super douche and it would be fine if you weren’t here 😳
I know you don't appreciate my "glass half empty" take and my focus on the negatives as opposed to the positive but, you calling me a douche i.e. asshole/jerk does not have an effect. You need to know you're wasting your time calling me names.

I graduated from Iowa. I served as active duty infantry in the Army. I drug a lifeless woman out of her burning residence fairly recently. I drilled a hole in a young woman's tibia just yesterday and administered meds in order to "restart" her heart.

So, again, don't waste your time. And move along with your mediocre expectations - I don't have time for them, nor should anyone else.

I know you don't appreciate my "glass half empty" take and my focus on the negatives as opposed to the positive but, you calling me a douche i.e. asshole/jerk does not have an effect. You need to know you're wasting your time calling me names.

I graduated from Iowa. I served as active duty infantry in the Army. I drug a lifeless woman out of her burning residence fairly recently. I drilled a hole in a young woman's tibia just yesterday and administered meds in order to "restart" her heart.

So, again, don't waste your time. And move along with your mediocre expectations - I don't have time for them, nor should anyone else.

“Super fan” is a derogatory comment coming from you in this context. You are the 2nd person in 2days that has tried to pretend like they take a higher road and don’t call people names!

Now to be fair, name calling is dumb and I should NEVER do it….I just like calling people a doucher sometimes….Juvenile for sure, but to hurt your feelings, no…it’s just what you are.

The mediocre comment is too stupid to address. I will say this, not being mad as hell and calling out people on an anonymous message, doesn’t have anything to do with my “expectations”. It has more to do with how I handle disappointment and stress.

You clearly don’t handle it well….

so... to the OP's OP...

right around this time during the game (about 7:48 1Q)... there was a pass to Vines... I believe..
the officials then place the ball 1 yard behind the first

you can't tell by just watching 1 of these videos... but if you piece it together...

did anybody notice this?

then... while the coaches are arguing the spot... the ref gets on his mic and says
"the clock is fine"
Yup, remarked on this as it happened. One of the most obvious, worst spots I've ever seen. I was dumbfounded that the replay booth didn't call it down to the refs.

Reactions: F5n5
Here is a prime example of why I have a hard time throwing massive amounts of blame on BF. This kind of stuff has been happening all year (and previous years) but this was a good example and BF finally lost it. Also, sorry couldnt find the full game uploaded online or else I would add the video.

We are sitting on a 3rd and 7 at our own 45ish. Have a double TE set on the short side and are running a hi-lo combo route. Spencer loos that way right away and the defense jumps LaPorta on the under route leaving Lachey wide open on the over route. SP chooses the correct option to throw but misses the target by about 5 yards over his head. Not a terribly tough throw even with the wind Saturday. Would have been a nice 15-20 yard gain and a new set of downs. SP heads to the bench and you catch a small glimpse of BF heading over to chew him out.

You can have a great game plan and plays called, but the players make the plays,...or don't. Of course BF gets the majority of the heat, but he is down on the list past SP and the OL for the first 6 games.
I disagree with your assessment that Brian is down on the list. He’s been here for 7 years. It is his job to get Spencer and the OL ready to play on Week 1. It’s also his job to help get Big Ten caliber players onto the roster. That puts him a lot closer to the top of the list. Certainly ahead of the players he wasn’t able to get ready before Week 9.

so... to the OP's OP...

the officials then place the ball 1 yard behind the first down marker...

a good 3 yards behind where the ball should have been spotted

did anybody notice this?

"the clock is fine"

Correct!
I rewatched the game and couldn't for the life of me understand how it wasn't at the very least a first down. Getting jobbed by about 2-3 yards on a spot is very bad.

Reactions: cmhawks99 and F5n5
I disagree with your assessment that Brian is down on the list. He’s been here for 7 years. It is his job to get Spencer and the OL ready to play on Week 1. It’s also his job to help get Big Ten caliber players onto the roster. That puts him a lot closer to the top of the list. Certainly ahead of the players he wasn’t able to get ready before Week 9.
And this is certainly a very valid argument as well. The issue I have is we as fans don't know the control that KF has over what is called/system/personnel/etc.
I think we have done well with talent on the OL but it is taking longer to gel this year than most. WR room looked decent heading into the year but when you lose your number one for the season and your 2 and 3 miss time, it doesn't help.

Reactions: cmhawks99
This is kind of the problem. Y'all cling too much on the Ohio State game from 5 years ago and now beating Purdue for the second time in 6 years and are now giving Brian a pass. He has made Iowa a laughing stock. We need to move on after this year.
Idiot! You left out the Maryland game last year. That's 2 masterpieces in only 6 years. You can't do much better than that!

Reactions: not_mantiteo
Can’t be. @texas twister said it’s been horrible under BF every year.
somebody should ask him if he supported Greg Davis... or Ken O'Keefe

see the problem with stats is... its not a true reflection of an offense.

take last Saturday as example... you're up 21 points with 29 minutes to go...
you're not gonna go nuts and try to run up the stats...

you play to win the game..

meanwhile, several teams are going to have better offensive numbers...
but with an L rather than a W

the negterds can keep the stats and shove them up their behind..
I'll take the W

Reactions: bradaf
somebody should ask him if he supported Greg Davis... or Ken O'Keefe

see the problem with stats is... its not a true reflection of an offense.
You see, stats don't lie. They are the grand total of the entire season. The stats under BF SUCK. They did under Davis too. BF made Davis look OK. KOK was average (my memory and not the stats).

Here is a prime example of why I have a hard time throwing massive amounts of blame on BF. This kind of stuff has been happening all year (and previous years) but this was a good example and BF finally lost it. Also, sorry couldnt find the full game uploaded online or else I would add the video.

We are sitting on a 3rd and 7 at our own 45ish. Have a double TE set on the short side and are running a hi-lo combo route. Spencer loos that way right away and the defense jumps LaPorta on the under route leaving Lachey wide open on the over route. SP chooses the correct option to throw but misses the target by about 5 yards over his head. Not a terribly tough throw even with the wind Saturday. Would have been a nice 15-20 yard gain and a new set of downs. SP heads to the bench and you catch a small glimpse of BF heading over to chew him out.

You can have a great game plan and plays called, but the players make the plays,...or don't. Of course BF gets the majority of the heat, but he is down on the list past SP and the OL for the first 6 games.
It's a spot on point. Spencer needs to make that easy pitch and catch. Also, in fairness to him, how many times this year have we seen guys running unimpeded to the QB and Petras either has to eat it or throw it away. Once again...may have been a great play call, likely had guys wide open...yet because we completely whiff in protection, the play is blown up.

These plays are examples of why, sometimes, the criticism of BF's offense are shallow fan outrage without any deference to what is actually taking place in the scheme or play dynamics. It's not the Xs and Os....it's the jimmies and joes. Our personnel hasn't been good enough...including the QB. Certainly, Brian can put his guys into successful situations by taking into account a defense's strengths...but the bottom line is that EVERYONE needs to execute on a given play. Our protection breakdowns aren't partial...they are often outright whiffs. That has to be shored up. I mean, I don't think it's a coincidence that Petras' best performances are when we have had a running game and he's had more time in the pocket to step into throws.

Wisconsin is going to bring a ton of pressure early in this game Saturday. They always do. I hope we max protect and chip Herbig early.

Obviously Captain Kirk because he hasn't done anything about it for the WHOLE 6 YEARS.
Obviously Captain Kirk because he hasn't done anything about it for the WHOLE 6 YEARS.

Funny thing really… I focus on the fact that we’ve had one of the 10 or 12 best winning records over the last five or six years. That’s really my only focus; the totality of the product!

Im also fairly certain Lincoln Riley‘s teams are never going to play above average defense and yet he’s everybody’s guru so no I’m not mad as hell like you are that Kirk Ferentz keeps screwing up my team. I do think we should be better than we are that’s a fact.

But I clearly have a better work, life, Faith balance than you do…

You see, stats don't lie. They are the grand total of the entire season. The stats under BF SUCK. They did under Davis too. BF made Davis look OK. KOK was average (my memory and not the stats).

I’m so glad you said this…see here’s the problem… First off numbers are just numbers so therefore stats are “static” and they can say mostly whatever you want them to mean and therefore they do lie. They also can be completely irrelevant towards the goal…

Case in point and hence why I’ve been done with you guys meaning guys that whine and bitch like you for 10 or 12 years… KOK was a fine offensive coordinator and you guys constant bitching ran him off… And no we do not have a better offensive coordinator now! Brian Ferentz definitely is not better than KOK nor was Greg Davis but you jack a lopes weren’t happy then… meaning you are never ever never ever never ever going to be happy…

so quite frankly I don’t give a shit what you have to say about the dynamics of the team!

Last edited:
Reactions: F5n5
Unbelievable how you can make such a claim. So impressive. :rolleyes:

Well dude it’s not hard to see, you couldn’t find one self-help book that says…”hey it’s a good idea to whine and bitch on a message board”…I think it’s pretty self evident!

I’m so glad you said this…see here’s the problem… First off numbers are just numbers so therefore[COLOR=%s] stats are “static”[/COLOR] and they can say mostly whatever you want them to mean and therefore they do lie.
What a bunch of malarkey. The stats don't change. They are set and final. Do you even know what "static" means? The stats for 6 years have screamed out that the offense sucks. Ranking in the bottom half every single year. Spin that all you want. Make them "say mostly whatever you want them to mean". It is very comical.

Last edited:
What a bunch of malarkey. The stats don't change. They are set and final. Do you even know what "static" means? The stats for 6 years have screamed out that the offense sucks. Ranking in the bottom half every single year. Spin that all you want. Make them "say mostly whatever you want them to mean". It is very comical.

Static: lacking in movement, action, or change,

Id say you struggle with comprehension. Stats ARE static and they don’t address your goal ever. Our numbers are poor, but also not indicative of what our total goal is. I/e: you have to gauge them towards your stated goals and I assure ours isn’t to march up and down the field and score 50 points!

Static: lacking in movement, action, or change,

Id say you struggle with comprehension. Stats ARE static and they don’t address your goal ever. Our numbers are poor, but also not indicative of what our total goal is. I/e: you have to gauge them towards your stated goals and I assure ours isn’t to march up and down the field and score 50 points!
Right. Our goal is 3 plays and punt, 3 plays and punt, 3 plays and punt. Silly me. o_O

Regression to the absurd doesn’t absolve you from being daft!
Iowa is tied for 124th for lowest 3rd down conversions. 3 plays and punt. We must also get all giddy happy having to kick field goals all the time instead on punching it in. FG's must be better that TD's. Remember when Iowa failed on 10 straight 2 point conversions. Such a well oiled offense. You are a joke.

Iowa is tied for 124th for lowest 3rd down conversions. 3 plays and punt. We must also get all giddy happy having to kick field goals all the time instead on punching it in. FG's must be better that TD's. Remember when Iowa failed on 10 straight 2 point conversions. Such a well oiled offense. You are a joke.

Way to add a whole bunch of stuff to your original premise…joke indeed!

Just because I know you are still struggling. No where did I say good, well oiled, machine or what the goal even was! I just know it’s not to score the most points. It’s more defined than that.

Way to add a whole bunch of stuff to your original premise…joke indeed!

Just because I know you are still struggling. No where did I say good, well oiled, machine or what the goal even was! I just know it’s not to score the most points. It’s more defined than that.
All the little pieces I added only add to the point that the offense sucks. A sucking offense fails at so many levels. I could add some more but you wouldn't understand how it applies anyway. Even the national media thinks Iowa's offense is a sham. A couple drops in the glass and you think it isa half full. Good for you.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT