ADVERTISEMENT

9-month-old child killed, woman seriously injured in Waterloo dog attack

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
A 9-month-old child has been killed and a woman has been seriously injured after being attacked by a dog in a Waterloo home Thursday morning.

Police responded to the 1200 block of Scott Avenue at about 7:22 a.m. Thursday on a report of an animal attack. Police said the child died at the scene. The woman, 49, was taken to Allen Hospital with serious injuries. She was then flown to the University of Iowa Hospitals in Iowa City.

The dog is described as a 9-year-old male boxer/hound mix.

The names of the victims have not been released. An investigation into the attack is ongoing.

The lady that went to the hospital was the grandma of the infant.

She was watching her at her daughter's house so the dog was the family's pet.

• Sad
Reactions: Pinehawk
Authorities are trying to determine why a beloved family pet turned into a killer, attacking a baby in a tragedy that shook the Waterloo community Thursday.

Police and Animal Control officials were called to a dog attack inside the single-family home at 1280 Scott Ave. around 7:20 a.m.

The 9-month-old infant died at the scene.

Advertisement

The child’s mother broke down in tears on the front lawn when she heard the news.

The child’s 49-year-old grandmother also was seriously injured in the attack and was taken to a UnityPoint-Health Allen Hospital for treatment. She was then flown to University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City for further care, police said.

The identities of the victims haven't been released pending notification of family.

The dog — described as a neutered male boxer-hound mix — was found on a three-season porch in the back when authorities arrived. Animal Control officers detained the dog using a snare pole without incident and removed it.

What isn’t clear is why the dog attacked.

“You could tell that dog was part of the family,” said one person involved in the investigation.

Following the incident, the dog was put down, and the remains were taken to the state veterinary lab at Iowa State University in Ames for testing.

Authorities said they didn’t have any prior calls regarding the dog.

A critical incident stress debriefing session has been set up for emergency workers who responded to the call.

• Sad
Reactions: h-hawk
Authorities are trying to determine why a beloved family pet turned into a killer, attacking a baby in a tragedy that shook the Waterloo community Thursday.

Police and Animal Control officials were called to a dog attack inside the single-family home at 1280 Scott Ave. around 7:20 a.m.

The 9-month-old infant died at the scene.

Advertisement

The child’s mother broke down in tears on the front lawn when she heard the news.

The child’s 49-year-old grandmother also was seriously injured in the attack and was taken to a UnityPoint-Health Allen Hospital for treatment. She was then flown to University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City for further care, police said.

The identities of the victims haven't been released pending notification of family.

The dog — described as a neutered male boxer-hound mix — was found on a three-season porch in the back when authorities arrived. Animal Control officers detained the dog using a snare pole without incident and removed it.

What isn’t clear is why the dog attacked.

“You could tell that dog was part of the family,” said one person involved in the investigation.

Following the incident, the dog was put down, and the remains were taken to the state veterinary lab at Iowa State University in Ames for testing.

Authorities said they didn’t have any prior calls regarding the dog.

A critical incident stress debriefing session has been set up for emergency workers who responded to the call.

After every dog attack the owners say it was such a friendly dog. Wouldn’t harm a flea. Right before It ripped Grandma’s head off.

It pisses me off to see people get pets and then not love them. It leads to this crap.

Also need to shut down all the dog breeding.

Plenty of available dogs at rescue centers.
That sounds constitutional. Also, it would seem without breeders, the pipeline of rescue dogs run dry.

We have a lot of kid friendly dogs in the neighborhood and unfortunately my 2 grand kids (3 and 2) who have been living with us have zero fear of dogs.

They see a dog and want to make a beeline for them....been trying to instill some respect/fear in them. All it takes is one dog...

I think Iowa has a history of serious dog breeding problems. When the rescues run dry maybe they could discuss easing rules.
I don't think one dog attack, no matter the circumstances, warrants a response that all dog breeding should cease. How about aiming more precisely at the problem(s)...not blasting a knee jerk shot at everything.

Reactions: Masterprime
We have a lot of kid friendly dogs in the neighborhood and unfortunately my 2 grand kids (3 and 2) who have been living with us have zero fear of dogs.

They see a dog and want to make a beeline for them....been trying to instill some respect/fear in them. All it takes is one dog...
Especially a dog that they have no familiarity with. That's especially dangerous.

Boxer is one of the breeds pitbull mix owners claim so they can say they don’t have a pitbull.

download.jpg

We took our dog to a newly opened dog park near us. After being there about 20 min a guy shows up with a Pitbull followed by another owner with his Rottweiler AND English Mastiff--all three running around off leash. They seemed friendly enough, but the wife and I just couldn't get comfortable.

My son, who also has zero fear of dogs, was getting in their faces, so we gathered our things and left.

Last edited:
I don't think one dog attack, no matter the circumstances, warrants a response that all dog breeding should cease. How about aiming more precisely at the problem(s)...not blasting a knee jerk shot at everything.
Iowa ranks very high in nation for dog breeding problems. A study listed 17 breeders in Iowa among the 100 worst in the country.

We are past knee jerk reaction. I would raise the Iowa dog breeding license a lot and use the funds for more inspections and enforcements.

I think Iowa has a history of serious dog breeding problems. When the rescues run dry maybe they could discuss easing rules.
So if there is a problem with something not being regulated to your liking, kill the industry. Sounds plausible.

Boxer is one of the breeds pitbull mix owners claim so they can say they don’t have a pitbull.
Immediately what I thought of….and seeing the picture posted above….I’m still not convinced. But as others have said, I wouldn’t have a boxer around either.

Not all breeds are wired to be loving family dogs…we need to get away from this idea as a society that it’s the owners vs the breed.

That might actually be part boxer but I wouldn't put a boxer around a kid. They're not wired right on a whole imo
That's actually not true at all. Boxers, unlike Pits, are great family dogs. In fact, the Boxer is my favorite breed of dog and has been part of my family for years--dating back to when my dad was a toddler. (He has two even at 76 years old).

A Boxer has long been considered a great pick for families with children. This lively pup is full of energy and absolutely loves to play, making him an excellent playmate that can keep up with even the most active kids.

The Boxer’s Temperament for Kids​

Considering that Boxers descended from an extinct German hunting dog and the English Bulldog, the modern-day Boxer has adapted well to living in the modern world and serving its role as a family pet.

Boxers surprisingly have a lot of patience when it comes to dealing with humans. In other words, they enjoy playing with kids, making them a dog breed favorite for kids as well. That said, the aggressive dog reputation of Boxers is unwarranted.

Despite the somewhat ferocious looks of the Boxer, these dogs have a playful nature. You may have never guessed, but they’re quite affectionate and friendly dogs. Spend a day with a Boxer and you’ll know exactly what we mean.

That's actually not true at all. Boxers, unlike Pits, are great family dogs. In fact, the Boxer is my favorite breed of dog and has been part of my family for years--dating back to when my dad was a toddler. (He has two even at 76 years old).

A Boxer has long been considered a great pick for families with children. This lively pup is full of energy and absolutely loves to play, making him an excellent playmate that can keep up with even the most active kids.

Considering that Boxers descended from an extinct German hunting dog and the English Bulldog, the modern-day Boxer has adapted well to living in the modern world and serving its role as a family pet.

Boxers surprisingly have a lot of patience when it comes to dealing with humans. In other words, they enjoy playing with kids, making them a dog breed favorite for kids as well. That said, the aggressive dog reputation of Boxers is unwarranted.

Despite the somewhat ferocious looks of the Boxer, these dogs have a playful nature. You may have never guessed, but they’re quite affectionate and friendly dogs. Spend a day with a Boxer and you’ll know exactly what we mean.

To each his own

They take the jobs of watchdog and family guardian seriously and will meet threats fearlessly

I'll forward this to the Root family.

I'm sure it will help their suffering.

My daughter had two boxers and they were great around the grandkids. Unfortunately they had health issues and both passed away. Everyone was pretty sad. They were very coddled and loved and never showed aggression. After one passed they found a rescue dog that was actually a boxer. They tried adopting that one but it nipped my grandson so they brought him back. CSB.

Reactions: alaskanseminole
4.5 million people are bitten by dogs each year, with 800k requiring hospitalization.

If you're choosing a dog, you need to be thinking about when, not if, it bites, and will you and your family will be able to handle and survive it.

We took our dog to a newly opened dog park near us. After being there about 20 min a guy shows up with a Pit Bull followed by another owner with his Rottweiler AND English Mastiff--all three running around off leash. They seemed friendly enough, but the wife and I just couldn't get comfortable.

My son, who also has zero fear of dogs, was getting in their faces, so we gathered our things and left.
I was at an Iowa city park and my half rott half lab was attacked by 2 pitbulls off leash. I told in the car and she jumped into her seat. She lived 15 years and twice in Iowa city she was attacked for no reason by a pitbull. My dog was well trained. I threw one of the pitts about 8 feet right over my car hood and flipped out on the owner. Ridiculous. I've known plenty of nice boxer and pitts but trust none of them. Or German Shepards. The dog most likely to bite

Ive heard through the grapevine that this dog was having issues with the kid before this. Which I guess is kind of normal especially with smaller kids that will reach and pull at whatever and the dog letting a new human into the pack.

4.5 million people are bitten by dogs each year, with 800k requiring hospitalization.

If you're choosing a dog, you need to be thinking about when, not if, it bites, and will you and your family will be able to handle and survive it.
LOL

I was at an Iowa city park and my half rott half lab was attacked by 2 pitbulls off leash. I told in the car and she jumped into her seat. She lived 15 years and twice in Iowa city she was attacked for no reason by a pitbull. My dog was well trained. I threw one of the pitts about 8 feet right over my car hood and flipped out on the owner. Ridiculous. I've known plenty of nice boxer and pitts but trust none of them. Or German Shepards. The dog most likely to bite
Man, that's crazy! Glad you were able to over power the pit!

I've met some very sweet pits myself but, like you, never trust them. The only time I've ever been bitten was by a German Shepard.

Reactions: Bishop1971
Ive heard through the grapevine that this dog was having issues with the kid before this. Which I guess is kind of normal especially with smaller kids that will reach and pull at whatever and the dog letting a new human into the pack.
Often times with family pets it's the little kids that become overly invasive into the animals personal space and become unpredictable to the pet. We deal with that with our son and our Golden Doodle.

A good friend of mine lost her one-year old daughter when the child fell onto the family dog and the dog attacked her. I simply cannot imagine a loss of that magnitude.
Jesus. If I recall correctly, I think you have shared a couple or a few of your friends have committed suicide, another good friend has had her toddler mauled to death by her dog, you lost your dad, and then you had that weird shit with your neighbor killing his wife. You have lived through more than your share of trauma.

Reactions: jasonrann
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT