ADVERTISEMENT

96.3 mph. Wow. Brody Brecht is a Potential Top 5 Round MLB Draft Pick

After 3 weeks, these are the top-30 qualified pitchers in college baseball.

2 are Hawkeyes.

Brody is #2. Marcus Morgan is #28.

FqlkdRRXwAAPfbT

FqlkdRwX0AArxXP

Source:

The list ranks pitches based solely on a measurement called Stuff+. Stuff+ simply measures movement and doesn’t take into account the location or result of the pitch. Awfully nice to have a lot of movement on pitches but referring to the list as “the top 30 qualified pitchers” is a bit misleading.
After 3 weeks, these are the top-30 qualified pitchers in college baseball.

2 are Hawkeyes.

Brody is #2. Marcus Morgan is #28.

FqlkdRRXwAAPfbT

FqlkdRwX0AArxXP

Source:

The list ranks pitches based solely on a measurement called Stuff+. Stuff+ simply measures movement and doesn’t take into account the location or result of the pitch. Awfully nice to have a lot of movement on pitches but referring to the list as “the top 30 qualified pitchers” is a bit misleading.

I am not sure what made a pitcher qualified for this list (how many IP, etc); he didn't say.

Here's a better explanation of Stuff +. You said it measures only movement, which is not correct. As you can see, it also includes velocity. A score of 100 is average; Brody is at 210.

Last edited:
A steal of home when the Iowa catcher was not paying attention to the runner at 3rd and threw to the pitcher (Voelker) cost Brody the 2nd run to his line today.

Check it out here:

Brody Brecht today:

5 2/3 Innings Pitched
106 total pitches (4.61 pitches/batter faced)
62 strikes (58%)

23 batters faced
7 Strike outs
5 ground outs
3 fly out

3 Walks
2 Wild Pitches
0 Hit by Pitch
0 Balks

5 Hits
2 Runs
0 Errors by the team

Fq-H0QLWAAE6kFt

Certainly bad optics on that play. You could tell that Moss saw the runner out of the corner of his eye just as he was releasing the ball and couldn't stop his throw. Looked very little league. It lit a fire under TT.

That written, the runner would not have been on third if it wasn't for (a) Brecht's wild pitch advancing the runner from first to second and (b) the runner stealing third base because Brecht wasn't paying much attention to him and holding him close.

Tough run to swallow if you are the defense.

A steal of home when the Iowa catcher was not paying attention to the runner at 3rd and threw to the pitcher (Voelker) cost Brody the 2nd run to his line today.

Check it out here:

Brody Brecht today:

5 2/3 Innings Pitched
106 total pitches (4.61 pitches/batter faced)
62 strikes (58%)

23 batters faced
7 Strike outs
5 ground outs
3 fly out

3 Walks
2 Wild Pitches
0 Hit by Pitch
0 Balks

5 Hits
2 Runs
0 Errors by the team

Fq-H0QLWAAE6kFt

Certainly bad optics on that play. You could tell that Moss saw the runner out of the corner of his eye just as he was releasing the ball and couldn't stop his throw. Looked very little league. It lit a fire under TT.

That written, the runner would not have been on third if it wasn't for (a) Brecht's wild pitch advancing the runner from first to second and (b) the runner stealing third base because Brecht wasn't paying much attention to him and holding him close.

Tough run to swallow if you are the defense.

Have you seen a pitcher, past or present, who is faster than Brecht between pitches? I love it; it speeds up the game but, like you said, he needs to pay attention to base runners.

Have you seen a pitcher, past or present, who is faster than Brecht between pitches? I love it; it speeds up the game but, like you said, he needs to pay attention to base runners.

I’d be stunned if that isn’t a strategic choice by Brecht and the pitching coach in an effort to lock him into a rhythm and improve his control. Less thinking, more muscle memory.

Jared Hippen (‘09-‘12) was the quickest worker followed by Matt Dermody (‘10-‘13) I can remember since Brecht. The former made a Friday night game into a two hour affair.

Reactions: AuroraHawk
Brody Brecht's attempt to play two sports -- football and baseball -- at Iowa has been one of the most intriguing aspects of his time as Hawkeye. Brecht was a standout receiver for Ankeny, as well as an elite baseball prospect with a very potent arm. But balancing two sports is not easy at an elite college level, especially when sports now increasingly demand year-round commitment.

The actual competitive schedules for football and baseball don't overlap at the college level -- baseball is played from February to May, while football is a September to December sport -- but those schedules do conflict with off-season practices. Brecht couldn't attend Iowa baseball's fall practice sessions while he was with the football team, and he missed Iowa football's spring practice sessions while he hit the mound for the baseball team.

Friday, Brecht made it official: he's just a one-sport athlete now, devoting his full attention to baseball.

It felt like a decision to focus on baseball was coming soon, given Brecht's strong start to the 2023 season. Brecht is 2-1 through six games this year, with a 2.20 ERA and a 1.24 WHIP. He leads Iowa pitchers in innings pitched (28.2) and strikeouts (46) and opposing batters are hitting just .146 against him this season. He announced his decision shortly after picking up the win for Iowa against Western Michigan, in a game where he tied his career-high with 10 strikeouts.

Control is still an issue for Brecht -- he also leads Iowa in walks issued (21) and wild pitches (5), but those are skills that will improve with practice. What's much harder to teach is stuff, and Brecht has electric stuff as a pitcher. The right-hander regularly tops 100 mph on the radar gun and has had MLB scouts drooling over his potential for a while.

Brecht is the 18th best overall prospect on Prospects Live's top prospects list for the 2024 MLB Draft. He's also the 17th overall prospect on D1Baseball's Top 150 prospects list for the 2024 MLB Draft. (College baseball players are not eligible for the MLB Draft until they are three years removed from high school, which is why Brecht is not eligible for the 2023 MLB Draft this summer.)

MORE HERE: https://iowa.rivals.com/news/brody-brecht-to-focus-exclusively-on-baseball

Brody Brecht's attempt to play two sports -- football and baseball -- at Iowa has been one of the most intriguing aspects of his time as Hawkeye. Brecht was a standout receiver for Ankeny, as well as an elite baseball prospect with a very potent arm. But balancing two sports is not easy at an elite college level, especially when sports now increasingly demand year-round commitment.

The actual competitive schedules for football and baseball don't overlap at the college level -- baseball is played from February to May, while football is a September to December sport -- but those schedules do conflict with off-season practices. Brecht couldn't attend Iowa baseball's fall practice sessions while he was with the football team, and he missed Iowa football's spring practice sessions while he hit the mound for the baseball team.

Friday, Brecht made it official: he's just a one-sport athlete now, devoting his full attention to baseball.

It felt like a decision to focus on baseball was coming soon, given Brecht's strong start to the 2023 season. Brecht is 2-1 through six games this year, with a 2.20 ERA and a 1.24 WHIP. He leads Iowa pitchers in innings pitched (28.2) and strikeouts (46) and opposing batters are hitting just .146 against him this season. He announced his decision shortly after picking up the win for Iowa against Western Michigan, in a game where he tied his career-high with 10 strikeouts.

Control is still an issue for Brecht -- he also leads Iowa in walks issued (21) and wild pitches (5), but those are skills that will improve with practice. What's much harder to teach is stuff, and Brecht has electric stuff as a pitcher. The right-hander regularly tops 100 mph on the radar gun and has had MLB scouts drooling over his potential for a while.

Brecht is the 18th best overall prospect on Prospects Live's top prospects list for the 2024 MLB Draft. He's also the 17th overall prospect on D1Baseball's Top 150 prospects list for the 2024 MLB Draft. (College baseball players are not eligible for the MLB Draft until they are three years removed from high school, which is why Brecht is not eligible for the 2023 MLB Draft this summer.)

MORE HERE: https://iowa.rivals.com/news/brody-brecht-to-focus-exclusively-on-baseball
I’m very surprised and I was wrong believing he wouldn’t give up his football full-ride to play baseball. Selfishly, I love it. Heller will likely move some money around to make room for Brody.

I’m very surprised and I was wrong believing he wouldn’t give up his football full-ride to play baseball. Selfishly, I love it. Heller will likely move some money around to make room for Brody.
Or he gets some NIL gigs.

Or he gets some NIL gigs.

I just posted on a different thread that Iowa baseball fans better be hoping that whomever is in charge of lining up NIL opportunities is working overtime to identify and cement NIL opportunities ever since the Friday announcement.

As much as Iowa baseball fans have been selfishly clamoring for Brecht to focus solely on becoming a dominating starter for the Iowa baseball team and give up his dream of playing WR for the Iowa football team, there has always been a level of comfort that, because Brecht is also playing on the Iowa football team, he wasn't going to see greener pastures at more storied and more decorated programs.

IMO, there is no question in my mind that Heller assured Brecht that he will be a full time baseball scholarship recipient. Bigger question for me is whether other teams' representatives will be knocking on his door and his parents' door and outright recruiting him to leave the Iowa program at the end of the year.

Brody Brecht has been named to the Golden Spikes Award Midseason Watch List by USA Baseball. The award goes to the top amateur baseball player in the country each season.

The list features 45 of the nation's best athletes from both college and high school baseball.

The 2023 Golden Spikes Award timeline is as follows:

• May 22: Golden Spikes Award semifinalists announced and fan voting begins
  • June 5: Golden Spikes Award semifinalists' fan voting ends
  • June 7: Golden Spikes Award finalists announced and fan voting begins
  • June 21: Golden Spikes Award finalists' fan voting ends
  • June 25: Golden Spikes Award winner announced

The Full Story:

McDaiel at ESPN has Brody 8, but write is good.
“Brecht has arguably the best raw stuff in the history of college baseball, with two 80-grade pitches in his triple-digit heater and breaking ball when they're on, but his command is 30-grade at the moment. As a 6-foot-4 athlete who used to be a receiver for the Hawkeyes (wrong program for catching passes, am I right?), you can very easily imagine ace upside, but it's still a ways off.”​
ESPN insider 2024 too early draft

oakie was on his HS pitchers to watch list.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Was that on the beach in Cape Cod? Though, I don't see Brody's name on Chatham Anglers' active roster anymore. Maybe North Carolina?

Brecht has a lot to work on with his command to be a top 10 pick next summer. He throws an easy 100 mph fastball so he has to completely fall apart or get hurt to drop too far.

Another big season from Morgan and his draft prospect slot will get helium. He could be the Friday night starter.

Brecht has a lot to work on with his command to be a top 10 pick next summer. He throws an easy 100 mph fastball so he has to completely fall apart or get hurt to drop too far.

Another big season from Morgan and his draft prospect slot will get helium. He could be the Friday night starter.
His fast ball at the end of the season was improved. Significantly improved strike percentage. The Iowa baseball trainers had a Tweet about this. He had a very good summer. They're are working out now, captains and small groups. Formal practice starts the 13th, and then the 3 fall exhibition games. I'll be down tomorrow morning to speak to Coach Heller and some others. They don't start working out until the afternoon, so not sure I can sneak a peak at Brody. I've not spoken to him for a bit now. He is in high demand, and I tend to not bother the players unless I have a NIL deal for them. I also go down to some practices.

So while there were some control issue last season, the reality of the stats showed Brody pitched pretty well. This isn't directed at you, but Brody and the pitchers took some grief and criticism last season, and not all of it was deserved. Was he in his head? I'm not sure. Did he have a bad streak? Yes. Was some of it mechanical? I think so, but remember when he was in football, he didn't play summer baseball at as high of a level as he was able to this summer. Development was paused somewhat due to this.

Never say never, but next season's pitching staff is going to be fantastic. The team is comprised of high character gentlemen. Next season should be a lot of fun.

eta, Brody took velocity off his fastball towards the end of last season. I haven't asked, but I think this was intended.

His fast ball at the end of the season was improved. Significantly improved strike percentage.

eta, Brody took velocity off his fastball towards the end of last season. I haven't asked, but I think this was intended.

I'd be stunned if that wasn't the case. Brecht can be an outstanding pitcher if his fastball sits in the 96-98 mph range with movement but can be consistently thrown for strikes. That sets up his wicked slider well. When hitters have to respect his ability to throw strikes, really good chance that Brecht will have them off balance and can make them look silly.

If Brecht can get up 0-2 or 1-2 in counts, I'd think that batters will hit less than .100 against him and he'll strike out 66% or more of those batters.

He doesn't need to hit 100+ mph if that means his control suffers.

Reactions: GolfHacker1
His fast ball at the end of the season was improved. Significantly improved strike percentage. The Iowa baseball trainers had a Tweet about this. He had a very good summer. They're are working out now, captains and small groups. Formal practice starts the 13th, and then the 3 fall exhibition games. I'll be down tomorrow morning to speak to Coach Heller and some others. They don't start working out until the afternoon, so not sure I can sneak a peak at Brody. I've not spoken to him for a bit now. He is in high demand, and I tend to not bother the players unless I have a NIL deal for them. I also go down to some practices.

So while there were some control issue last season, the reality of the stats showed Brody pitched pretty well. This isn't directed at you, but Brody and the pitchers took some grief and criticism last season, and not all of it was deserved. Was he in his head? I'm not sure. Did he have a bad streak? Yes. Was some of it mechanical? I think so, but remember when he was in football, he didn't play summer baseball at as high of a level as he was able to this summer. Development was paused somewhat due to this.

Never say never, but next season's pitching staff is going to be fantastic. The team is comprised of high character gentlemen. Next season should be a lot of fun.

They don't actually read crap on here do they?

I am excited for next season, just having 1 draft prospect at starting pitcher is a treat but the Hawks have 2. Morgan made huge progress last season, I'm hoping he takes another step forward.

Reactions: GolfHacker1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT