ADVERTISEMENT

A look back at how Biden and the Dems viewed Romney and Russia in 2012.

China is economically stronger than Russia. And most-likely from a military point of view as well. Russia's military might has been exposed during the botched invasion of Ukraine. China has been ramping up military spending, but who knows how sound and reliable their military infrastructure is....

But what makes Russia the most dangerous is Putin himself. The tension between NATO and Russia is much worse than disputes about China and its neighbors. Putin would do horrible things in order to save face.

China needs U.S. consumers to buy gadgets at Walmart just as badly as we want to buy all their cheap crap.

That dynamic doesn't exist between the U.S. and Russia.

Over the past two years we’ve had to send something like 75 billion dollars to Ukraine to help them fight off the Russian invasion. How much have we spent recently defending allies from Chinese invasions?

In recent years Democrats have blamed Putin and Russia for just about everything except overturning Cooper DeJean's touchdown against MInnesota. Dems blamed Russia for our inflation. "Putin's Price Hike" practically became the DNC motto for about a year.

They blamed Russia for helping Donald Trump get elected in the first place. Russian bot farms used social media to convince voters that Hillary Clinton was prone to fainting and therefore unfit for office. They financed Jill Stein's campaign in order to help her siphon votes away from Hillary in swing states, and they were grooming Tulsi Gabbard to fill that role in 2020 if necessary. How many of our elections has China meddled in to the degree that Russia has?

I'm supposed to believe China is a greater geopolitical foe than Russia based on what factors?
I would start with the fact that simply arming the Ukrainians with mostly 2nd tier weapons and not sending any troops has held the Russians to a draw at best. What about the current war in Ukraine makes you believe Russia is a threat to the United States?

Reactions: RileyHawk
Over the past two years we’ve had to send something like 75 billion dollars to Ukraine to help them fight off the Russian invasion. How much have we spent recently defending allies from Chinese invasions?

In recent years Democrats have blamed Putin and Russia for just about everything except overturning Cooper DeJean's touchdown against MInnesota. Dems blamed Russia for our inflation. "Putin's Price Hike" practically became the DNC motto for about a year.

They blamed Russia for helping Donald Trump get elected in the first place. Russian bot farms used social media to convince voters that Hillary Clinton was prone to fainting and therefore unfit for office. They financed Jill Stein's campaign in order to help her siphon votes away from Hillary in swing states, and they were grooming Tulsi Gabbard to fill that role in 2020 if necessary. How many of our elections has China meddled in to the degree that Russia has?

I'm supposed to believe China is a greater geopolitical foe than Russia based on what factors?
I can't take this seriously.

I would start with the fact that simply arming the Ukrainians with mostly 2nd tier weapons and not sending any troops has held the Russians to a draw at best. What about the current war in Ukraine makes you believe Russia is a threat to the United States?
Democrats have insisted for 7 years that Russia helped elect Donald Trump. And Democrats have repeatedly claimed that Trump is trying to destroy America's democracy. Just today we had the latest in a long succession of threads comparing Trump to HItler and claiming that he intends to install an authoritarian regime if he gets back into the White House.

By their very own reasoning and logic, by their very own statements, Democrats are claiming that Russia is endeavoring to destroy our very foundation as a country. That seems like a bit of a threat to the United States, no?

• Haha
This is more nonsense from you. Obama was certainly on the diplomatic path with Russia as there was nothing obvious about where Putin was going until they invaded Crimea. Trump and the republicans, on the other hand, had full knowledge of Putin's motivations and he actively worked to help Putin become more powerful.
OP with a “I need attention.”, thread.

Reactions: noleclone2
OP with a “I need attention.”, thread.
What does that even mean? What is it you contribute here again? I mean, I know what you're main MO is. And that's talking to posters about other posters you take some sort of issue with. Usually the same sorry ones, all of you clones of one another. This post here will just get either a cowardly laughing emoji or an offhand empty quip though.

Where's all of the awesome threads you've started?

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
Hey guess what? Obama was wrong for underestimating Russia. As was many in the intelligence community. It was indeed a mistake to not see his true endgame. But there was nothing we could have really done to stop the initial invasion of Ukraine and they began taking hardline with Russia.

103915043-1581001852891gettyimages-599444038r.jpg

So we did the next best thing and US and NATO started arming them and training them and preparing them. Which is why the three day war hits year two in a few weeks and Russia has ground their army to paste. The Ukrainians were ready and absolutely humiliated Russia with their western trained troops and weapons those first 8 weeks.

The Democrats and few sane republicans have known Russsia was a bad player since 2015. This was also proved by the clear meddling in our election to get Trump elected, a man clearly under the sway of Putin. And they will do their best to help him again this year as the MAGA Republicans and Speaker block additional funding for Ukraine.

It just shows you how fast things can change and flip. And tip of the cap to Romney for being consistent on this issue he was right on. But this was a much bigger problem than Obama not saying Russia was a bigger threat than terrorism:

Sigov-jpg-1.jpg

180809-trump-putin-mc-1250.JPG

It’s not an “attention seeking thread” either though, is it?

I don't think you're trolling anyone looking for attention, no. Politics just suck but attract everyone to engage.

Now your "Name 2 movies most posters haven't seen" thread. F'ing marvelous

Reactions: FAUlty Gator
The country had a chance to elect Mitt but the Democrats said he was worse than Hitler, racist, hated women and wanted to kill grandma. The same old bullshit playbook they use every election year. Instead we got four more years of the most destructive, anti-American, racially divisive and incompetent president in the last 100 years.

I hate Trump and the current Republican party. I don't think I'll ever vote Republican again. So please start with that context.

However, whenever this topic comes up, its annoying as hell the way Democrats can't just admit that Romney got this right and Obama got it wrong. I don't see why that is so hard. Yeah, it wasn't as clear at the time just how dangerous Putin was to most people. But Romney saw it and got mocked for it. It doesn't mean that Obama was a bad president, but he got this wrong.

Do you excuse Neville Chamberlain for ignoring Winston Churchill's warnings about the Nazis in 1938 because it wasn't obvious yet that he was correct?
I agree, Obama had it wrong during that time period. Does the GOP now support Romney's view on Russia?

I agree, Obama had it wrong during that time period. Does the GOP now support Romney's view on Russia?
Yes, we still hate all things Russia and China. Just because the GOP wants an accounting of where the $$$ is going and the invasion of our southern border to stop doesn't mean we all of a sudden love Russia. Those vodka swilling communist can **** right off.

This is stupid. You're a POS. They never did that. They've always been against Russia. This is fake news.

BTW, never bring up stuff from the past. Especially ones that they haven't been able to rewrite. You have to allow 1984 to kick in, before you can make posts like this.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t it Obama’s idiotic Secretary of State that presented Russia with a symbolic RESET button in the hopes of improving relations? That happened, right?

Correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t it Obama’s idiotic Secretary of State that presented Russia with a symbolic RESET button in the hopes of improving relations? That happened, right?
Stop it. The Thought Police are here.

Democrats have insisted for 7 years that Russia helped elect Donald Trump. And Democrats have repeatedly claimed that Trump is trying to destroy America's democracy. Just today we had the latest in a long succession of threads comparing Trump to HItler and claiming that he intends to install an authoritarian regime if he gets back into the White House.

By their very own reasoning and logic, by their very own statements, Democrats are claiming that Russia is endeavoring to destroy our very foundation as a country. That seems like a bit of a threat to the United States, no?
TJ doing his best TJ. Are you now claiming Trump is a bigger threat to the US than Russia? If so, I finally agree with you.

TJ doing his best TJ. Are you now claiming Trump is a bigger threat to the US than Russia? If so, I finally agree with you.
Let's see if I can boil this down to something you're capable of understanding. Democrats strongly believe that Russia deliberately tampered with our elections to get Trump elected so that he can destroy the very foundations of our government.

If that's what you believe then how can you at the same time claim Russia doesn't pose a serious threat to the United States?

• Haha
Reactions: Kelsers
Let's see if I can boil this down to something you're capable of understanding. Democrats strongly believe that Russia deliberately tampered with our elections to get Trump elected so that he can destroy the very foundations of our government.

If that's what you believe then how can you at the same time claim Russia doesn't pose a serious threat to the United States?
So did the Senate Republicans.

TJ being TJ. Where did I say that Russia doesn't pose a serious threat to the US?

We're at the point where you start making stuff up. Classic.

TJ being TJ. Where did I say that Russia doesn't pose a serious threat to the US?

We're at the point where you start making stuff up. Classic.
You awarded a like to cjr for posting “What about the current war in Ukraine makes you believe Russia is a threat to the United States?”.

I think a better question would be what have you done in this thread other than scoffing at the idea that Russia poses a serious threat to the United States.

Let’s do this the easy way for a change. You tell me exactly, in your own words so there is absolutely no ambiguity, where you think Russia stands on the list of America’s geopolitical foes. That way I don’t have to guess your position and you’ll be spared the indignity of me “making stuff up.”

You awarded a like to cjr for posting “What about the current war in Ukraine makes you believe Russia is a threat to the United States?”.

I think a better question would be what have you done in this thread other than scoffing at the idea that Russia poses a serious threat to the United States.

Let’s do this the easy way for a change. You tell me exactly, in your own words so there is absolutely no ambiguity, where you think Russia stands on the list of America’s geopolitical foes. That way I don’t have to guess your position and you’ll be spared the indignity of me “making stuff up.”
You honestly believe that Russia is more of a threat than China? I want this in writing.

You honestly believe that Russia is more of a threat than China? I want this in writing.
Different people have different definitions of what they consider a ‘threat’. But based on the criteria laid out by Romney in 2012 I believe Russia was and still us our #1 geopolitical foe, for all the reasons I’ve already listed.

They have spent the past 15+ years actively trying to destabilize eastern Europe, militarily and economically. In 2007 Putin publicly declared his desire to restore the old Soviet Union. In 2008 they invaded and annexed part of Georgia. In 2014 they invaded and annexed the Crimea. That same year they conducted a massive, sustained cyberattack on our State Department’s email servers.

In 2016 they used social media to propagate disinformation to help swing the election to Donald Trump. In 2022 they launched a full-scale invasion of Ukraine. We have so far spent $75 billion to help our ally defend themselves, with no end in sight.

If all of that isn’t enough to earn the #1 spot on our list of geopolitical foes then please state your case for why China is worse.

Different people have different definitions of what they consider a ‘threat’. But based on the criteria laid out by Romney in 2012 I believe Russia was and still us our #1 geopolitical foe, for all the reasons I’ve already listed.

They have spent the past 15+ years actively trying to destabilize eastern Europe, militarily and economically. In 2007 Putin publicly declared his desire to restore the old Soviet Union. In 2008 they invaded and annexed part of Georgia. In 2014 they invaded and annexed the Crimea. That same year they conducted a massive, sustained cyberattack on our State Department’s email servers.

In 2016 they used social media to propagate disinformation to help swing the election to Donald Trump. In 2022 they launched a full-scale invasion of Ukraine. We have so far spent $75 billion to help our ally defend themselves, with no end in sight.

If all of that isn’t enough to earn the #1 spot on our list of geopolitical foes then please state your case for why China is worse.
JFC.

It's beginning to feel like you're never going to state your case for China. You've had two opportunities and this simplistic nonsense is all you're delivered.
I honestly don't believe I need to. The vast majority of Americans disagree with you. Russia is a threat to the USA right now though. Is that your point?

I honestly don't believe I need to. The vast majority of Americans disagree with you. Russia is a threat to the USA right now though. Is that your point?
If the vast majority of Americans disagree with me then it should be simple to list a handful of reasons why I’m wrong. Why is that too much for you to do?

I’ll even get it started for you - they sent a surveillance balloon across the continent.

Now it’s your turn to take the baton. Run, Global, run.

If the vast majority of Americans disagree with me then it should be simple to list a handful of reasons why I’m wrong. Why is that too much for you to do?

I’ll even get it started for you - they sent a surveillance balloon across the continent.

Now it’s your turn to take the baton. Run, Global, run.
Okay, TJ. Wow. Edit:

Last edited:

LOL - and right on cue. I didn't scoff at anything. I liked a post that disassembles your stupid argument. You then try to spin that into me saying something I never said. It's classic. You're completely disingenuous.

Russia is a serious geopolitical threat to the US and the rest of the western world. That's one of the reasons the US is spending billions to aid Ukraine in their efforts to thwart them in their war. China is a much bigger geopolitical threat.

I'm am confident I will not be spared from you making things up. It's your MO. You won't abandon that the next time you get desperate.

It's beginning to feel like you're never going to state your case for China. You've had two opportunities and this simplistic nonsense is all you're delivered.
Why would we bother arguing with you when we can just let you embarrass yourself and defeat your own arguments? TJ being TJ.

I'm am confident I will not be spared from you making things up. It's your MO. You won't abandon that the next time you get desperate.
I’m gonna let you in on a little secret, Slappy. I have zero interest in twisting your words or “making things up”. I would much prefer that you state your position clearly and concisely when I ask you to state your position clearly and concisely.

If you were willing to do that, I would gladly discuss the issue with that position in mind. The problem is that you always refuse to do that. Instead you dance around like a fvckin’ monkey and then accuse me of “making stuff up” when I try to guess your position that you could have simply stated.

So let’s start again - who do you believe is America’s #1 geopolitical foe in January 2024? State your answer clearly and concisely for the record and you’ll never have to worry about me falsely accusing you of thinking something else.

Go.

I’m gonna let you in on a little secret, Slappy. I have zero interest in twisting your words or “making things up”. I would much prefer that you state your position clearly and concisely when I ask you to state your position clearly and concisely.

If you were willing to do that, I would gladly discuss the issue with that position in mind. The problem is that you always refuse to do that. Instead you dance around like a fvckin’ monkey and then accuse me of “making stuff up” when I try to guess your position that you could have simply stated.

So let’s start again - who do you believe is America’s #1 geopolitical foe in January 2024? State your answer clearly and concisely for the record and you’ll never have to worry about me falsely accusing you of thinking something else.

Go.
I already did.

Love this stage of the TJ show.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT