ADVERTISEMENT

A lot of nostalgia wrapped

good times, I remember when we got our first VHS player in 1984 and we’d go to Best Buy to rent movies. Then later Hagen’s Furniture was the place to go.

Reactions: Derekd3408
good times, I remember when we got our first VHS player in 1984 and we’d go to Best Buy to rent movies. Then later Hagen’s Furniture was the place to go.
I remember when my small town gas station had movie rentals. They would only have 2 or 3 copies of the popular new releases, so it was a miracle if they had a copy when you went in. Sometimes if you checked with the owner they would have a recently returned copy at the checkout that wasn't put back out yet. If they didn't have any recently returned he would check the rental slips and call all the deadbeats that were late returning and harass the shit out of them. Good times.

I remember when my small town gas station had movie rentals. They would only have 2 or 3 copies of the popular new releases, so it was a miracle if they had a copy when you went in. Sometimes if you checked with the owner they would have a recently returned copy at the checkout that wasn't put back out yet. If they didn't have any recently returned he would check the rental slips and call all the deadbeats that were late returning and harass the shit out of them. Good times.
Holy shit, I had forgot about the small town gas stations doing that. We used to rent movies at my grandma and grandpas from the gas station. It was slim pickins

Reactions: VodkaSam
Always devastating when you’d go in hyped to get that spicy new release and then just be disappoint when it was all rented out

Reactions: Derekd3408
I remember renting Mario Cart 64 one weekend. Slammed a 12 pack of DP and got like 18 minutes of sleep.
I remember my dad telling me I was wasting my time renting the South Park N64 game. I walked into a room and my dad was giggling because he was throwing piss snowballs at turkeys. Turns out it was no waste of time.

Holy shit, I had forgot about the small town gas stations doing that. We used to rent movies at my grandma and grandpas from the gas station. It was slim pickins
I had as well until I posted this. Crazy to think about honestly. Didn't even have a computer system, just gave you a slip to sign and write your phone number on. You could have wrote Seymore Butts at 641-eat-dick and had a free movie. 0% chance they would have tracked you down.

Always devastating when you’d go in hyped to get that spicy new release and then just be disappoint when it was all rented out
Worst was when you thought you saw the last video tape there and your excitement going to grab it and it wasn't a VHS but it was Beta. NO ONE had a Beta player

Worst was when you thought you saw the last video tape there and your excitement going to grab it and it wasn't a VHS but it was Beta. NO ONE had a Beta player
I remember a few times I would see a tape behind the VHS sleeve only to find out some prankster put a different movie behind the new release. I'm not sure my wife leaving me today would be more devastating.

I had as well until I posted this. Crazy to think about honestly. Didn't even have a computer system, just gave you a slip to sign and write your phone number on. You could have wrote Seymore Butts at 641-eat-dick and had a free movie. 0% chance they would have tracked you down.
Yeah, visiting small town Iowa once from out of state, went into a video store In Marion. I didn’t have a membership, but told them I think my cousin does. She said “Alrighty then“, and I walked out with two movies. Returned them on Sunday.

img_6558.png

I can remember when you could rent the VCR....and the tapes...Sometimes they would be out of the VCR's....a real kick in the nads...especially when they had the movie you would want to watch in stock...
I didn't have a gaming system until I was a Jr in HS. So every once and a while I'd get to rent one with a few games. Best weekend ever. Pissed dad off something fierce.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT