ADVERTISEMENT

A New Iowa Swarm 2021 Thread...

In my completely biased and unprofessional gut feeling, the only school not named Nebraska Fidone will commit to is Iowa.

Just based on my gut I'd say over the past few weeks Fidone has shifted more favorably to Iowa. Nebraska just cannot offer him and his family what Iowa can. My guess would be it's now 55% Iowa, 45% Nebraska. As always, that can change.

But I am pretty certain the boat rowers still sit at 0%, cute shirt and all.

I'm guessing he wants to get to the NFL, and if that's the case, this shouldn't be a hard decision.

Since KF had been the coach at Iowa, he's had 11 TEs get drafted.

Since KF has been at Iowa, Nebraska is now on their 5th coach with 1 TE drafted 4 coaches ago in 2002.

I don't know if there's a way to more succinctly put it. If I get 2 job offers and I find out one potential boss has a 20 year track record in heavily investing time and resources to ensure my success vs an upstart with a visions of grandeur, but a spotty record. I'm picking the former every time.

I'm guessing he wants to get to the NFL, and if that's the case, this shouldn't be a hard decision.

Since KF had been the coach at Iowa, he's had 11 TEs get drafted.

Since KF has been at Iowa, Nebraska is now on their 5th coach with 1 TE drafted 4 coaches ago in 2002.

I don't know if there's a way to more succinctly put it. If I get 2 job offers and I find out one potential boss has a 20 year track record in heavily investing time and resources to ensure my success vs an upstart with a visions of grandeur, but a spotty record. I'm picking the former every time.

I agree. And Iowa features their tight ends, unlike Nebraska.

Hence why Fidone hasn't committed to Nebraska yet.

Reactions: The Governator
I agree. And Iowa features their tight ends, unlike Nebraska.

Hence why Fidone hasn't committed to Nebraska yet.

I'll admit I don't follow recruiting a ton, and maybe you can answer this question. If he's basically down to 2 schools, what's the hold up?

I get the proximity thing, but it's not like he's choosing between Nebraska and Vermont.

I'll admit I don't follow recruiting a ton, and maybe you can answer this question. If he's basically down to 2 schools, what's the hold up?

I get the proximity thing, but it's not like he's choosing between Nebraska and Vermont.
Some have proposed he is liking the attention and that committing would cause that to decrease.

I can't logically answer the question and am no expert at all.

The bottom line is recruiting isn't an exact science. Every kid is different. There is no blueprint for how Thomas Fidone will process his recruiting and arrive at a decision. Fidone is his own person with his own private thoughts, like the rest of us, which are subject to vacillation.

What I throw out there is mere spitballing based entirely off what Fidone is willing to state publicly and what I know to be true of common behaviors of past recruits.

1. I don't know if it's actually down to Nebraska and Iowa. I'm guessing Fidone ponders what it would be like to wear many different jerseys. I think at this point, though, it's pretty clear he's deciding between Iowa and Nebraska.

2. I grew up a Hawkeye fan and dreamed of playing for Iowa. My senior year in high school was Hayden's final year. Had I been a prospect and offered a chance to either play at (e.g.) an established program like a Wisconsin or given an opportunity to fulfill my childhood dream by playing for Iowa, even walking into an obvious rebuilding situation, that would have been a very difficult choice. Especially if I believed Wisconsin excelled at putting players of my same position in the NFL. Consider that for a moment, and then you should be able to understand why Fidone hasn't given his verbal to either school yet.

3. I like Iowa's chances. They are a program in good standing right now, the coaching staff is second to none, and they are Tight End U. In the end, I think that will be too difficult for him to pass up. Nebraska is not a program that appears to be trending up right now and Frost doesn't utilize tight ends like Iowa does. The longer this goes on without Fidone giving his verbal to Nebraska the greater the chance he will end up at Iowa.

Some have proposed he is liking the attention and that committing would cause that to decrease.

Possible.

But I don't really think that's fair to the kid, especially when you consider those saying that are the typical disgruntled fan butthurt he hasn't already committed to either Iowa or Nebraska. And whenever he does commit, consider that he's likely going to have to turn off social media given how shitty some people will be in both fan bases.

Reactions: dbrocket
When his state of Iowa rank was upgraded to the #4 player, his composite was upgraded to 4-star.

There's no way I can prove it so I guess me pointing this out is 100% irrelevant. Moving on..

He was a composite 4 star and there is a way to prove it. His composite rating dropped today by .0139 which put him at a 3 star.

His 247 rating hasn’t dropped which means some other recruiting service lowered their rating of him.

Reactions: Harbinger273
He was a composite 4 star and there is a way to prove it. His composite rating dropped today by .0139 which put him at a 3 star.

His 247 rating hasn’t dropped which means some other recruiting service lowered their rating of him.
Well ok then, I thought he had dropped. Thanks.

Reactions: GarryO37

If that's the case, I don't think Iowa is the right fit for him.
I can't logically answer the question and am no expert at all.

The bottom line is recruiting isn't an exact science. Every kid is different. There is no blueprint for how Thomas Fidone will process his recruiting and arrive at a decision. Fidone is his own person with his own private thoughts, like the rest of us, which are subject to vacillation.

What I throw out there is mere spitballing based entirely off what Fidone is willing to state publicly and what I know to be true of common behaviors of past recruits.

1. I don't know if it's actually down to Nebraska and Iowa. I'm guessing Fidone ponders what it would be like to wear many different jerseys. I think at this point, though, it's pretty clear he's deciding between Iowa and Nebraska.

2. I grew up a Hawkeye fan and dreamed of playing for Iowa. My senior year in high school was Hayden's final year. Had I been a prospect and offered a chance to either play at (e.g.) an established program like a Wisconsin or given an opportunity to fulfill my childhood dream by playing for Iowa, even walking into an obvious rebuilding situation, that would have been a very difficult choice. Especially if I believed Wisconsin excelled at putting players of my same position in the NFL. Consider that for a moment, and then you should be able to understand why Fidone hasn't given his verbal to either school yet.

3. I like Iowa's chances. They are a program in good standing right now, the coaching staff is second to none, and they are Tight End U. In the end, I think that will be too difficult for him to pass up. Nebraska is not a program that appears to be trending up right now and Frost doesn't utilize tight ends like Iowa does. The longer this goes on without Fidone giving his verbal to Nebraska the greater the chance he will end up at Iowa.

You went above and beyond what my post deserved. Point 2 makes a lot of sense, and I can respect that point of view.

I guess I looked at it from the viewpoint of me when I was 17. I grew up in Carroll, so western side of the state and my dad is a Nebraska fan. Would have been understandable if I followed suit, but I saw the light around 9 or 10. So while I was an Iowa fan in high school, I had spent more time not being an Iowa fan than being one.

Got my proprieties right now though. Dad was a Vikings fan and I converted to the Chiefs once Priest Holmes came on the scene.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT