ADVERTISEMENT

A Percipient Analytical Inference Re: Kaleb Brown

Ripcord280

HR All-State
Aug 30, 2016
he is pretty damn good and should be starting (a quintessential no-brainer) over whoever he is "filling in" for. 7 catches for 71 yards yesterday?

In other news recently, Coach Ferentz, 1) the sky is blue 2) the earth is round, and 3) women earned the right to vote quite a while back.

To paraphrase Howard Cosell, "I never played the game, but was only the water boy" and I can still figure out that much.

PLEASE leave Kaleb Brown in a starting role.

he is pretty damn good and should be starting (a quintessential no-brainer) over whoever he is "filling in" for. 7 catches for 71 yards yesterday?

In other news recently, Coach Ferentz, 1) the sky is blue 2) the earth is round, and 3) women earned the right to vote quite a while back.

To paraphrase Howard Cosell, "I never played the game, but was only the water boy" and I can still figure out that much.

He is a huge reason we won the last few games. he has improved greatly...that double move that caused the holding call was huge on our last drive...hats off to Mr Brown.

WR were great yesterday. All 3 made some tough catches. Can’t think of a drop. I know replay overturn in 4th qtr but bad throw in my opinion that was short not a drop. Anderson also had hustle play on the fumble at end of the 1st half.

He has figured it out— but was not worthy early in the season

Hey OP,
Adam Sandler GIF by IFC

Just think, in the PSU game did a WR even have ONE catch? I think they had about 14 yesterday, nicely done!
That’s part of the problem. We threw a lot of wide receiver screens on Saturday. We threw zero against Penn State that I remember. We were still on that tight end screen to the middle of the field phase that almost always did nothing.

But we haven't seen him in practice.
But we did see him in games almost all year as he usually had about 15 plays a game. He had 118 snaps going into the Illinois game.

His pro football focus score before the Illinois game was 54.2 which is not impressive at all. Had 62 snaps against Illinois and a PFF score of 63.8 and Ragaini was 67.5 with 66 snaps.

PPF scores before Illinois
All 72.4
Lachey 66.5
Osterenga 67.2
Ragaini 55.8
Anderson 57.0
Brown 54.2

Who should the coaches throw to, it appears that PPF thinks the TEs are our best option. Games are also dictated by how good the defense is and the opponents defensive strengths. Is it any surprise Illinois threw at Lee our second string CB while if Cooper was in the game they would likely look elsewhere.

Reactions: cmhawks99
But we did see him in games almost all year as he usually had about 15 plays a game. He had 118 snaps going into the Illinois game.

His pro football focus score before the Illinois game was 54.2 which is not impressive at all. Had 62 snaps against Illinois and a PFF score of 63.8 and Ragaini was 67.5 with 66 snaps.

All 72.4
Lachey 66.5
Osterenga 67.2
Ragaini 55.8
Anderson 57.0
Brown 54.2

Who should the coaches throw to, it appears that PPF thinks the TEs are our best option. Games are also dictated by how good the defense is and the opponents defensive strengths. Is it any surprise Illinois threw at Lee our second string CB while if Cooper was in the game they would likely look elsewhere.
15 snaps a game. That’s why Brian Ferentz doesn’t have a job. You force the ball to playmakers like Charlie Jones and Kaleb Brown. You get them involved early in the season. This is all on the offensive coaches.

Iowa will have some nice WRs next Year for the new OC to utilize, hopefully correctly, Brown, Anderson, Buie, Bostick ( if He ever gets healthy) and Mota plus the Old Guard will be graduated, That room might have a chance going forward

Iowa will have some nice WRs next Year for the new OC to utilize, hopefully correctly, Brown, Anderson, Buie, Bostick ( if He ever gets healthy) and Mota plus the Old Guard will be graduated, That room might have a chance going forward
Bostick was in a lot last Saturday. Tall receiver.

Bostick was in a lot last Saturday. Tall receiver.
Yep, was dinged for about 18 months but has worked back in with Vines out. He also was very close to a bad penalty early in game with a shove in the back or from what I could see on a long RB run. Kaleb Brown has ascended quickly just at the right time, whatever he was working through congrats young man and he has some wiggle to him that we sorely need.

Whatever is going on, the the receivers have all been catching the ball lately, seems to make a big difference! 😀😆
I can't think of many drops the last few games.
Yeah. I don't know if there was a single drop last Saturday and there were some very difficult catches of some hot balls. There was shorter one to Anderson that I replayed several times and couldn't see the ball through the air. It was thrown that hard. It was also very accurate between 2 defenders. There were a handful of darts thrown through tight windows that I don’t think have the velocity to get there if they were thrown by Cade.

We’ve got to try and keep both Kaleb’s happy by playing them and getting them the ball. I’m glad they were both benched earlier in the season, if it had to happen, and not now. Guys can transfer so easily right now and we don’t have anybody that can replace what these two add to the offense.

Reactions: cmhawks99
That’s part of the problem. We threw a lot of wide receiver screens on Saturday. We threw zero against Penn State that I remember. We were still on that tight end screen to the middle of the field phase that almost always did nothing.
Are we one of the few teams in college football that can’t ever seem to break a jailbreak screen? Seems like it rarely ever opens up for us.

Are we one of the few teams in college football that can’t ever seem to break a jailbreak screen? Seems like it rarely ever opens up for us.
To Brian’s credit, we actually threw it to Kaleb at least three times on Saturday on a screen. I just think we should have been doing that since Utah State. It’s how we scored one of our touchdowns against Rutgers.

To Brian’s credit, we actually threw it to Kaleb at least three times on Saturday on a screen. I just think we should have been doing that since Utah State. It’s how we scored one of our touchdowns against Rutgers.
100%, that was missing from playbook for whatever reason for the first several games. Maybe the OL couldn't get out there that quick or something, not sure. I'd be curious how Elsbury is grading out however from what I'm reading he's doing quite well and might be most cerebral OL of the bunch per the pods I've been listening to.

All 72.4
Lachey 66.5
Osterenga 67.2
Ragaini 55.8
Anderson 57.0
Brown 54.2

So, I think this anlysis is kind of deceptive. in general I think PFF is a good tool to assess individual performance but like most analytics, it's not useful for backups with limited opportunities to make plays. Prior to the Rutgers game Kaleb was rarely used (34 passing downs over 9 games for 4 snaps per game and it wasn't rising). I don't know how many times Brown had a chance to make plays before the Rutgers game but they were extremely limited. One mistake and your PFF drops through the floor.

There is also little evidence to suggest that Kaleb is playing more because all of a sudden he "gets it". He's playing now because Vines went down with an injury. Otherwise he's still riding the pines.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT