ADVERTISEMENT

A School Reopens, and the Coronavirus Creeps In

Nothing more idiotic than quarantining healthy people, but got to keep spreading the hysteria somehow.

Hmmmm, quarantined people are by definition healthy, so it is hard to say that quarantining healthy people is idiotic. Sick people isolate, healthy people who are exposed quarantine.

I know this is going to come across as condescending and that isn't the intention, but I am trying to figure out what the disconnect is. Is it possible that you don't understand the purpose of a quarantine? I will try to outline the reasoning behind it below. If you disagree with any of the bullet points, let me know which one.

1. People with SARS-CoV-2 can be infectious before symptom onset
2. People who get infected become so 2-14 days (most often 2-10 days) after exposure to an infected person
3. A negative test at 5 days after exposure doesn't necessarily mean you have not been infected, and it does not mean you will not eventually test positive. You could be in the incubation period.

Based on those 3 facts, after exposure there is no way to know with certainty that you are not infectious, even if you have tested negative after the exposure event. Therefore, from a public health perspective it is important to quarantine exposed individuals for the duration of the incubation period to try to stop the exponential spread of the disease.

I actually live close to this school. Their reentry plan is very good and they responded to the positive swiftly and appropriately.

Unfortunately, you can’t control stupid parents.
That's the main take-away. They knew their child was a potential risk and they sent the kid to school anyway. They won't be the last and they won't be rare.

Hmmmm, quarantined people are by definition healthy, so it is hard to say that quarantining healthy people is idiotic. Sick people isolate, healthy people who are exposed quarantine.

I know this is going to come across as condescending and that isn't the intention, but I am trying to figure out what the disconnect is. Is it possible that you don't understand the purpose of a quarantine? I will try to outline the reasoning behind it below. If you disagree with any of the bullet points, let me know which one.

1. People with SARS-CoV-2 can be infectious before symptom onset
2. People who get infected become so 2-14 days (most often 2-10 days) after exposure to an infected person
3. A negative test at 5 days after exposure doesn't necessarily mean you have not been infected, and it does not mean you will not eventually test positive. You could be in the incubation period.

Based on those 3 facts, after exposure there is no way to know with certainty that you are not infectious, even if you have tested negative after the exposure event. Therefore, from a public health perspective it is important to quarantine exposed individuals for the duration of the incubation period to try to stop the exponential spread of the disease.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7158942/#!po=0.434783

I have no problem with isolation: I’ve done it dozens of times in my life. If you’re sick stay home, not that complicated.

Government mandated quarantine has no place in a free society, which we no longer have unfortunately.

Reactions: anon_89hvcc2uyzmki
I actually live close to this school. Their reentry plan is very good and they responded to the positive swiftly and appropriately.

I would also say that the NYT is the only news outlet that has cast aspersions in the school.
The people - parents - who will complain the most about how things are opening or not opening to their liking will be the ones who screw up and help spread the virus.

Reactions: stout1
That's the main take-away. They knew their child was a potential risk and they sent the kid to school anyway. They won't be the last and they won't be rare.
Absolutely the truth. As teachers we absolutely know parents will send their kids even if they have a fever. I can't tell you how many times students have told me they threw up before school and I generally reply with, "Why are you here?" "Mom told me to go."

Reactions: stout1

I would also say that the NYT is the only news outlet that has cast aspersions in the school.

And this is why we need mandates. We are a country full of children who are acting like an 8 year old that was just told they had to eat all their vegetables before they can leave the table. What a bunch of pussies.

Reactions: dirtypool
Why are you so hell bent on coronavirus and schools being a disaster? Why are you do over the top reporting every possible negative outcome of having any semblance of in person schooling? Honest question.

Why do you get confused with people trying to tell you what will happen with the schools opening then showing you what happened which was predicted with people hoping for disasters?

Reactions: Tom Paris
Why are you so hell bent on coronavirus and schools being a disaster? Why are you do over the top reporting every possible negative outcome of having any semblance of in person schooling? Honest question.

I remember when suggesting that 100k or 200k would die from this disease was over the top reporting.

Is there a single poster on this board who said there wouldn’t be a COVID case in the schools? Thankfully we have you here to post each and every case that pops up from Aug to Dec.
I'm curious you seem to have strong feelings about schools holding in person classes, if you were in charge what would be the parameters? How would you deal with positive cases of students or teachers? Is there any situation in your opinion that should trigger the need to discontinue in person instruction? No disrespect intended, I just want to read your thoughts on safely operating schools during this pandemic.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7158942/#!po=0.434783

I have no problem with isolation: I’ve done it dozens of times in my life. If you’re sick stay home, not that complicated.

Government mandated quarantine has no place in a free society, which we no longer have unfortunately.

Well fortunately we live in a free society that has a massive public health infrastructure with the legal authority to mandate quarantines and other measures to protect the health of society at large. If you don’t like that fact you can always pull up your tent stakes and move elsewhere or attempt to change that authority. Good luck on both fronts.

The Governor of Pennsylvania has mandated that
public schools this September will be online and
not in person. His state still has rising rates of
positive tests for Covid19.

Why do you get confused with people trying to tell you what will happen with the schools opening then showing you what happened which was predicted with people hoping for disasters?
I'm not remotely confused, I'd like to know what OPs aim is here.

I'm curious you seem to have strong feelings about schools holding in person classes, if you were in charge what would be the parameters? How would you deal with positive cases of students or teachers? Is there any situation in your opinion that should trigger the need to discontinue in person instruction? No disrespect intended, I just want to read your thoughts on safely operating schools during this pandemic.

I’m leery of 100% in person. IMO, someone will catch the COVID and die. Either a student or a teacher. I’m also very concerned about 100% online schooling as there are too many poor and underprivileged children and families where this type of system simply will not work.

If I was in charge...I’d go hybrid. High School students would be 4 days per week at home. 1 day per week, the teacher would be available for the students to come in and have one on one time with the teachers. You could stagger this throughout the week. Teachers would work from the school each day. Attendance for the online classes would be mandatory. For elementary students, that’s the tough one. You’d have to find a way to maximize space at the school. Cafeterias, gyms, auditoriums would have to be used. But I think I’d highly recommend elementary to be 100% in person. However, I’d be open to at home learning for students, where there is at least 1 non-working parent at home. In both cases, anyone stepping foot in the school is required to wear a mask.

Positive cases. The student or teacher would be sent home and instructed to quarantine until he or she was able to produce a negative test. One thing I don’t know though is, how many qualified subs are there out there to fill in when a teacher, or multiple teachers test positive. I would suggest employing a spare teacher or two for the year to be on standby.

Yes, there would be a situation where I would consider discontinuing in person schooling. If an outbreak occurs and there is a substantial loss off teachers due to quarantine, you’d have to have a plan in place. I’m very afraid of the financial stress that may put on a parent who would then have to quit their job, or figure out some way to make sure that child is safe, has supervision, and can learn from home.

Admittedly, I don’t have all the answers. My wife (no pic) are currently fighting about whether or not to send my 20 yo with special needs to Vodec this Fall. Vodec provides life-enriching services to persons with disabilities, including day programs, employment training and residential options. My son, Cole, attended his first year there last year. It was cut short in March. At that time, both my wife and I were able to work from home. Since that time, he’s been attending online for about an hour or two per day. It’s nowhere close to being the same experience for him. In three weeks, my wife returns to the schools. She’s an SLP assistant and will work in 3 different schools this school year. Luckily, I am able to work from home. My wife is 100% for him returning to Vodec. I am 100% for hi staying home with me. Why risk it? If he were to catch COVID and die, how could we live with this decision when we didn’t HAVE to send him?

BTW, I am one of those who would have supported a total, draconian style, lockdown back in March to contain this virus. It would have sucked, but the half assed shutdown we did only delayed the inevitable. Note that many countries that were being championed for being so successful against the virus are now seeing a surge.

I’m leery of 100% in person. IMO, someone will catch the COVID and die. Either a student or a teacher. I’m also very concerned about 100% online schooling as there are too many poor and underprivileged children and families where this type of system simply will not work.

If I was in charge...I’d go hybrid. High School students would be 4 days per week at home. 1 day per week, the teacher would be available for the students to come in and have one on one time with the teachers. You could stagger this throughout the week. Teachers would work from the school each day. Attendance for the online classes would be mandatory. For elementary students, that’s the tough one. You’d have to find a way to maximize space at the school. Cafeterias, gyms, auditoriums would have to be used. But I think I’d highly recommend elementary to be 100% in person. However, I’d be open to at home learning for students, where there is at least 1 non-working parent at home. In both cases, anyone stepping foot in the school is required to wear a mask.

Positive cases. The student or teacher would be sent home and instructed to quarantine until he or she was able to produce a negative test. One thing I don’t know though is, how many qualified subs are there out there to fill in when a teacher, or multiple teachers test positive. I would suggest employing a spare teacher or two for the year to be on standby.

Yes, there would be a situation where I would consider discontinuing in person schooling. If an outbreak occurs and there is a substantial loss off teachers due to quarantine, you’d have to have a plan in place. I’m very afraid of the financial stress that may put on a parent who would then have to quit their job, or figure out some way to make sure that child is safe, has supervision, and can learn from home.

Admittedly, I don’t have all the answers. My wife (no pic) are currently fighting about whether or not to send my 20 yo with special needs to Vodec this Fall. Vodec provides life-enriching services to persons with disabilities, including day programs, employment training and residential options. My son, Cole, attended his first year there last year. It was cut short in March. At that time, both my wife and I were able to work from home. Since that time, he’s been attending online for about an hour or two per day. It’s nowhere close to being the same experience for him. In three weeks, my wife returns to the schools. She’s an SLP assistant and will work in 3 different schools this school year. Luckily, I am able to work from home. My wife is 100% for him returning to Vodec. I am 100% for hi staying home with me. Why risk it? If he were to catch COVID and die, how could we live with this decision when we didn’t HAVE to send him?

BTW, I am one of those who would have supported a total, draconian style, lockdown back in March to contain this virus. It would have sucked, but the half assed shutdown we did only delayed the inevitable. Note that many countries that were being championed for being so successful against the virus are now seeing a surge.

That seems like a reasonable option. As a former teacher I can say that we often get defensive when people appear to think we don't want to do what is best for kids. I think for most teachers it would be so much easier to teach in person classes, but we also know the reality of working with kids. There are so many other considerations beside the actual act of teaching students in our classrooms. (i.e. lunch, bathrooms, buses, recess, etc.) Thank you for answering.

Absolutely the truth. As teachers we absolutely know parents will send their kids even if they have a fever. I can't tell you how many times students have told me they threw up before school and I generally reply with, "Why are you here?" "Mom told me to go."
I hope other parents sue them!!! Even if most of them are broke :)

I think for most teachers it would be so much easier to teach in person classes

You would think so, but am I dealing with a substantial amount of teachers in my district who would much rather post a slide deck with voice-over and some YouTube videos on Monday as their “lecture” and then post daily assignments with no virtual interaction. That’s easiest for them.

I remember 2-5 million deaths being predicted as well.

If we did nothing. There's more to that prediction that you all keep "forgetting" to add. We did do something, so we don't have that many dead.

That said, this disease isn't over. The moral of the story is, quit thinking the science is ridiculous because every time you all say that you end up being wrong. Over and over and over and over.

Also, it was 2-3 million, not 2-5 million.

If we did nothing. There's more to that prediction that you all keep "forgetting" to add. We did do something, so we don't have that many dead.

That said, this disease isn't over. The moral of the story is, quit thinking the science is ridiculous because every time you all say that you end up being wrong. Over and over and over and over.

Also, it was 2-3 million, not 2-5 million.
:oops::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ya right

The models were shit

Lol

the made up Lala land was 2-4 million dead

the models were garbage.

Again, you can live in your own made up la-la land all you want. It won't change the fact that the models were pretty accurate as well as their predictions on what would happen if we put in place mitigation efforts and what would happen if we lifted those restrictions too soon. And here you are, still being willfully ignorant. You can tell yourself that 5+5=12 as many times as you want, but you will still be wrong. The rest of us, well, I'd say we would laugh at you but the cost of your willful ignorance, and the people who live in your bubble, is being paid in lives. 152,000+ and counting.

You would think so, but am I dealing with a substantial amount of teachers in my district who would much rather post a slide deck with voice-over and some YouTube videos on Monday as their “lecture” and then post daily assignments with no virtual interaction. That’s easiest for them.
Are you an administrator? What grade levels do the teachers you are referencing teach?

It's extremely difficult for parents. My daughter's district is offering synchronous distance learning. She are going to try that for 9 weeks and see where we are with the virus and school. I speak with a lot of parents (at work and outside work) and this is a really issue for parents. It's extremely difficult.

9-12 primarily but there are some sprinkled across all grades.
So you didn't say are you an administrator? How many teachers work in your school and how many think the way you stated in your post?

So you didn't say are you an administrator? How many teachers work in your school and how many think the way you stated in your post?

I work in central office.

We have between 250 and 300. Based upon the survey we did and the information we have been provided by our union 15-20%.

My wife is a teacher as well and I am good friends with about a dozen teachers. I also get info from them.

And let me add, we have a ton of teachers who committed to doing a great job regardless of how we are meeting or what their preferences are. Very much kid first.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT