ADVERTISEMENT

A spat in traffic, a dousing of baby oil, and sharp words. Was it a hate crime?

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
The dispute began — as so many do in the Washington area — at a red light. The signal went green, the first motorist hesitated and the second motorist hit the horn.

It ended, according to police in Montgomery County, in a hate crime.

Once the two cars started moving, police allege in court records filed Wednesday, the first driver could see that the other driver, and her young female passenger, were wearing hijab head coverings. The first driver slowed enough to let the two women pass and followed them into a parking lot. There, according to the records, that driver got out of her car, tossed a fragrant liquid on the women and yelled: “Get the hell out of the country you b----a-- Muslims!”

Much of the police’s case so far appears to be based on what the alleged victims told them.

In an interview Wednesday, the suspect, Kerlina Aviles, 27, strongly denied committing a hate crime. She spoke emotionally about Muslim friends she has had throughout her life. “This is outlandish,” said Aviles, a 27-year-old cook. “I am not anti-Muslim at all. The Muslim religion is beautiful.”

Aviles described the other driver as the instigator. She said that after that driver blared a horn at the intersection, the woman drove up to her, made an obscene hand gesture and tried to spit on her from her driver’s seat.

In the parking lot, where the argument escalated, Aviles acknowledged that she spoke sharply to the other driver, but she said she did so only after the woman tried to spit on her again and spoke in way that had no religious bias. She said: “Go back to where you came from, because here we don’t spit.”

The other driver and her daughter are of Northern African origin and are American citizens, according to the Council on American-Islamic Relations, a Muslim civil-liberties group that has investigated the case. The suspect is of Caucasian-Hispanic descent and was born in Maryland, according to her and to court records.

Aviles was charged with two hate crime counts on Tuesday. She said she turned herself in at the Montgomery jail, where she said a police officer told her: “This is a ‘She-said-she-said’ situation.”

Aviles posted a $5,000 bond, was released and said she intends to file assault charges against the other driver and her daughter.

In the interview, she acknowledged following the other driver into the parking lot. “I just wanted to talk to them,” she said.

And she acknowledged that in the lot, she pulled out a bottle of Palmer’s coconut-scented baby oil and tossed oil on the woman, on her daughter and inside their car. “That was really childish of me. I mean, it was childish,” she said.

But she added that her insult about the other driver was born out of traffic-irritation, not religious bias: “I feel like I just acted out of frustration.”

“I think she is saying what is convenient to say,” countered the 17-year-old daughter who was in the other car.

In an interview Wednesday, the high school student, who asked not to be named, said she clearly remembered hearing Aviles make anti-Muslim remarks.

“It hurt,” the longtime Montgomery County resident said. “Because this is the first time someone has ever said anything like that to me.”

Interviews with Aviles and with the 17-year-old, as well as information in arrest documents filed by Montgomery police, provide additional details.

About 9 a.m. June 4, the 17-year-old and her mother were in their Honda CR-V at Germantown and Middlebrook roads, headed to a doctor’s appointment, the girl said. When the light turned green, the driver ahead of them “appeared to be distracted by using her cell-phone,” police wrote in arrest records.

The CR-V driver honked, prompting the driver ahead of her to move forward, records state.

The driver in front then extended her left hand out the window, making an obscene signal toward the CR-V, the teen said. The driver of the car slowed down enough to let the CR-V move ahead.

Aviles, the driver of the car, tells a different version. She said in an interview that after her car and the CR-V started moving, it was the CR-V driver who pulled up to her and made an obscene gesture. Aviles said she brushed it off, owing to life on Washington roadways. “It happens all the time,” she recalled Wednesday.

Then, Aviles said, the CR-V driver rolled down her window, tried to spit at Aviles and continued her obscene gestures. Aviles said she decided to follow the CR-V and stopped in the parking lot. In short order, all three women were out of their vehicles.

In the parking lot, Aviles said she squirted baby oil at the women but did not push or hit them. Aviles said the CR-V driver continued to spit at her and hit her, and the teenage daughter pushed her.

Not so, according to the daughter, who said Aviles was the aggressor, hitting her on the side of her left arm and saying, “You go back to your country.” As they walked away, according to the girl, Aviles made two anti-Muslim comments. The teenager said she called the police.

She said on Wednesday that her mother seemed more willing to let the incident pass.

“She said it’s better to forget and forgive,” the teen said.

Her father and sister, who also spoke in interviews, said the incident has jolted their family. “We are citizens. We live here. This is our country,” the father said, adding that he has Christian and Jewish friends in the diverse communities of Germantown, where he lives, and Rockville, where he works. “We’ve never had this problem.”

For her part, Aviles said that even if she files charges, she would not like to see either side suffer long-term consequences.

“I hope that it will get worked out,” she said. “I hope we both learned our lesson.”

Local Crime & Safety Alerts

Breaking news about public safety in and around D.C.

The case, with a somewhat complicated paper trail, dates back three weeks.

On June 7, Montgomery Police Officer H. Simon went to a court commissioner and applied for two counts of misdemeanor assault against Aviles, according to court records. The charged were issued in the form of a summons.

Simon returned to the commissioner on June 16 and applied for additional charges: two counts each of religious-based harassment and malicious destruction of property. For reasons not entirely clear, he got only the additional destruction-of-property charges.

On June 18, Simon again applied for the religious-based harassment charges. The commissioner approved the charges and issued a warrant, which was served to Aviles on Tuesday.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...54-2b336e293a3c_story.html?tid=pm_local_pop_b

She spoke emotionally about Muslim friends she has had throughout her life. “This is outlandish,” said Aviles, a 27-year-old cook. “I am not anti-Muslim at all. The Muslim religion is beautiful.”

"We are citizens. We live here. This is our country,” the father said, adding that he has Christian and Jewish friends in the diverse communities of Germantown, where he lives, and Rockville, where he works. “We’ve never had this problem.

Glad both parties established that they have friends.

RG0BS1U.gif

I see that a lot out here ... People are constantly honking their horns. This occurs frequently about one nano second after a traffic light changes. It does not seem to be race specific, or age-group specific ... just people with an attitude of entitlement.

To me this is dangerous behavior. You never know who is in the other car and to assume that they will respond to your "gentle nudging" in a gentle manner is highly naive.

Additionally it always causes me to hesitate, since I do not know who is honking at whom. (It could even be me!) It usually turns out to be someone over 2-3 lanes and back more than one car length. You have to sort it out since someone could be in an emergency situation. (I thought that was actually what horns were for.)

In any case, it is damned aggravating.

I should add that this seems to be something new. I do not remember this being an issue in past years.

Reactions: cigaretteman
I'm amazed anytime I read about road rage ... Yes, there are plenty of idiot drivers out there ... But to let it get to the point of confrontation? Nah ... It's simply not worth it ... Sadly, in today's world you never know what ticking time bomb may be in the other car.

Best to just move along and let it slide.

Reactions: cigaretteman
I see that a lot out here ... People are constantly honking their horns. This occurs frequently about one nano second after a traffic light changes. It does not seem to be race specific, or age-group specific ... just people with an attitude of entitlement.

To me this is dangerous behavior. You never know who is in the other car and to assume that they will respond to your "gentle nudging" in a gentle manner is highly naive.

Additionally it always causes me to hesitate, since I do not know who is honking at whom. (It could even be me!) It usually turns out to be someone over 2-3 lanes and back more than one car length. You have to sort it out since someone could be in an emergency situation. (I thought that was actually what horns were for.)

In any case, it is damned aggravating.

I should add that this seems to be something new. I do not remember this being an issue in past years.

Good post and agree. People are very quick to smack on the horn ... As I just posted after your post ... you just never know who's in the other car. It's not worth finding out ... Too many people out there with no regard for civility so best to just move along.

There is nothing wrong with letting someone in front of you at a light know that it has turned green. But the honk should only come after two or three seconds when its obvious they aren't paying attention, and it should be the absolute shortest possible honk.

If that is what happens and the driver in front still gets mad, then they have some serious anger issues. I've never gotten mad at someone in that situation and I've never had anyone get mad at me in that situation.

Is the knock-out game necessarily cross-racial? I did not know that.
Nearly all of them were black on white and many of them reported to have said "that's for Trayvon Martin"

Of course all of that is buried by the media

Just charge her with assault and punish her accordingly. It doesn't really matter to me if she did it because they where Muslim, or she hated their driving, or she thought the color of their car was stupid.

I see you at a light and you are texting and it changes, I'm laying on the horn. You'd be amazed at the reaction this gets.

I see you at a light and you are texting and it changes, I'm laying on the horn. You'd be amazed at the reaction this gets.
I do this politely at the first light, if you are texting at the next one I'll lay on the horn, before the light turns green. Lots of fun drama there.

Muslims do in fact spit at you when they're angry. This happened to me in a road rage incident in South Florida.

Dude was mad at me because I "cut him off." When stopped at the light, he was screaming at me and I replied, "If you weren't driving twice the speed limit then you wouldn't have been cut off!"

He spat at me and it landed on my passenger seat.

I rolled up the window and got the fark out of there before he broke out his grenade launcher.

Muslims do in fact spit at you when they're angry. This happened to me in a road rage incident in South Florida.

Dude was mad at me because I "cut him off." When stopped at the light, he was screaming at me and I replied, "If you weren't driving twice the speed limit then you wouldn't have been cut off!"

He spat at me and it landed on my passenger seat.

I rolled up the window and got the fark out of there before he broke out his grenade launcher.

You got hate crimed and what he did could be considered assault in today's pussy world.

Reactions: terrehawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT