ADVERTISEMENT

Aaron Taylor nails it. USC Tampered & Offered Pitt WR Jordan Addison Massive NIL Deal BEFORE he entered Transfer Portal. Over $3M Plus a House

It blows my mind someone can write that and not grasp how out of touch they are with reality.

Kill college athletics? Isn’t there a cloud you should be yelling at?

The NCAA could have spent the last 20 years implementing smart, gradual changes as money was piling in. At a minimum they could have tried to control coaches and administrator salaries. But they did nothing and now the have this mess.

This sucks, but get a grip. “Free clothing“ and “preferential meals“?
The only two college sports that make ANY money are MBB and football. Shit, March Madness makes more than any other NCAA sporting event combined. They split off from the rest and you may as well kiss olympic sports goodbye. I love football, but not at the cost of the thousands of other athletes in other sports across the nation.

I'm not opposed at all to coach or administrator salaries. But the NCAA has zero control over that. The NCAA is simply a governing body set up by the schools, they cannot dictate what the schools spend their money on or how they pay their employees.

If you want to point at anything, point at the NFL for making rules about when players can enter the league, but even then, far too many players are vastly overestimating their own worth. What do you really think is worth more, the name on the front of the jersey, or the back?

And yes, free clothing. Actually speak with a college athlete some time. The amount of free shit they get is ridiculous.

It blows my mind someone can write that and not grasp how out of touch they are with reality.

Kill college athletics? Isn’t there a cloud you should be yelling at?

The NCAA could have spent the last 20 years implementing smart, gradual changes as money was piling in. At a minimum they could have tried to control coaches and administrator salaries. But they did nothing and now the have this mess.

This sucks, but get a grip. “Free clothing“ and “preferential meals“?

While there’s an argument to be made for non-revenue sport athletes being sufficiently compensated, all that stuff they mentioned is absolutely dwarfed by the size of the media deals and various revenue streams that the universities take in. Heck in the next b10 media package, it’s been estimated each school could make as much as $100 million, doubling what they get now. Compare that to the $250k or so at best each b10 football gets compensated with by way of scholarship, food, etc.

I agree the value of a scholarship and such should count for something, but to say that vs what the universities make off the players is fair compensation is ridiculous to me.

Reactions: Mountain Man Hawk
SC has a new motto:

FRoRmxcXoAAk-9Z

You claimed it was USC offering the deal.

Semantics.

Recruiting kids that don't even bother to enter the portal is beyond the pale.

Thanks, Hawk4shur. We all know that THE FIRST STEP is that the player is supposed to enter the portal. THEN the coach can contact them. And THEN the boosters can present their NIL deal.

But, from all reports, this is not how it went down.

Danny & Tom work for CBS Sports. When they tweeted what follows, Jordan Addison had not entered the portal. It's pretty clear that they think that (1) there has been tampering and (2) it is BOTH USC and Lincoln Riley who were bringing the HUGE NIL offer to the table. That's why Pat Narduzzi called Lincoln Riley several times on Friday voicing how upset he was.

Under current NCAA transfer rules, programs are not supposed to be able to contact players under scholarship from other programs unless and until they formally enter the transfer portal.

Last edited:
While there’s an argument to be made for non-revenue sport athletes being sufficiently compensated, all that stuff they mentioned is absolutely dwarfed by the size of the media deals and various revenue streams that the universities take in. Heck in the next b10 media package, it’s been estimated each school could make as much as $100 million, doubling what they get now. Compare that to the $250k or so at best each b10 football gets compensated with by way of scholarship, food, etc.

I agree the value of a scholarship and such should count for something, but to say that vs what the universities make off the players is fair compensation is ridiculous to me.
The vast majority of the $100 million or so goes directly back into expenses for the university or athletic department. Usually, to pay for every other sport.

In 2020, there were 20 schools, nationwide, across ALL divisions, that made a net profit off of athletics. The median profit for those schools was ~$7.5 million. That's not even enough to pay for the expenses for the average D1 football team for a year.

I've no doubt there are a handful of people who've used college athletics to line their pockets, but the idea that the entire system is sitting back and raking in money off of the labor of the athletes is just not supported by the actual data.

Reactions: hawkjt
The vast majority of the $100 million or so goes directly back into expenses for the university or athletic department. Usually, to pay for every other sport.

In 2020, there were 20 schools, nationwide, across ALL divisions, that made a net profit off of athletics. The median profit for those schools was ~$7.5 million. That's not even enough to pay for the expenses for the average D1 football team for a year.

I've no doubt there are a handful of people who've used college athletics to line their pockets, but the idea that the entire system is sitting back and raking in money off of the labor of the athletes is just not supported by the actual data.
And when the new deal takes effect, every b10 school will have an extra $50 million or so to pay for their athletics. But scholarships should be the only benefit athletes derive from their sport?

check out the decade prior to 2020, as it and 2021 are skewed with the massive hit Covid took on revenue streams. Iowa offered more non-revenue sports than any SEC school, yet normally operated in the black. So did most b10 schools.

And when the new deal takes effect, every b10 school will have an extra $50 million or so to pay for their athletics. But scholarships should be the only benefit athletes derive from their sport?

check out the decade prior to 2020, as it and 2021 are skewed with the massive hit Covid took on revenue streams. Iowa offered more non-revenue sports than any SEC school, yet normally operated in the black. So did most b10 schools.
Those numbers are on that website. The number of schools operating in the black only ranges from 21-29, and the median amount of net revenue is comparable to 2020.

I never said scholarships should be the only things they get. They already get much more than that, which I listed in my first comment, and likely forgot some things. The University of Texas did a study back in 2010 that determined that the average division 1 athlete, not just football players, receives the equivalent of over $50,000 of benefits over their 4-year career compared to that of the general student populace. Again, I'm all for reasonable, regulated NIL, but the narrative that the athletes were living off peanuts while the big bad NCAA exploited them is nonsensical.

Furthermore, that's only looking at D1 FBS.

FCS schools have operated in the red (ie they spend more money than they make) FOREVER, and in 2020 were losing a median of almost $15 million per year.

ALL 167 DII schools were losing a median $6.3 million on athletics. All 124 DIII schools lost a median $4 million. Those numbers are ONLY public schools too.

These threads are hilarious. Some players are moving now for dollars. Most of the sport is the same. Iowa is signing about the same number of players, and still playing 12 to 15 games each fall.

Coaches have been MAKING MILLIONS FOR DECADES and everyone accepts that it is natural. But the moment a 18 to 22 year old gets some? Then ITS RUINING THE FABRIC OF OUR SPORT.

I can post quotes from 1905 saying that college athletics was supposed to be quant and special and today's players are ruining it. Its all a ****ing lie, it has been about money from the beginning.

OK, BOOMERS. Keep whining.

Tell Me again why taxpayer dollars are going to State Institutions when they can pay Coaches Millions and now bribe Athletes to switch schools for Millions and a House, I would rather see Vets with healthcare and not homeless and good roads than see this crap, why even put Kids on Scholarship now? Just implement a salary cap, its semi pro anyway now.

These threads are hilarious. Some players are moving now for dollars. Most of the sport is the same. Iowa is signing about the same number of players, and still playing 12 to 15 games each fall.

Coaches have been MAKING MILLIONS FOR DECADES and everyone accepts that it is natural. But the moment a 18 to 22 year old gets some? Then ITS RUINING THE FABRIC OF OUR SPORT.

I can post quotes from 1905 saying that college athletics was supposed to be quant and special and today's players are ruining it. Its all a ****ing lie, it has been about money from the beginning.

You're right, these threads are hilarious, including yours

Are coaches and players really comparable? One could argue the high price is equated to years of experience and knowledge that a player doesn't have. The same way a BA or MA pays more than a high school degree, regardless of GPA. Even the consequences for poor performance are different. A bad football player still gets a degree. A bad coach gets fired.

But yeah, coaches shouldn't be making that much either. Problem is, contrary to popular belief, the NCAA doesn't decide that.

Everyone likes to point at the NCAA as the big bad guy, but they are organized by the schools. They are not superior to them, hence why they can't determine how they pay their employees.

Are coaches and players really comparable? One could argue the high price is equated to years of experience and knowledge that a player doesn't have. The same way a BA or MA pays more than a high school degree, regardless of GPA. Even the consequences for poor performance are different. A bad football player still gets a degree. A bad coach gets fired.

But yeah, coaches shouldn't be making that much either. Problem is, contrary to popular belief, the NCAA doesn't decide that.

Everyone likes to point at the NCAA as the big bad guy, but they are organized by the schools. They are not superior to them, hence why they can't determine how they pay their employees.
The problem with the NCAA is the lack of leadership that let this all get so out of control.

This story is just another nail in the coffin of major college sports. My question is where are the presidents of the universities in this NIL issue? The President of USC could stop the transfer if he or she had the courage. The same is true in all these NIL deals. How all these transfers magically make it through the admission and academic eligibility requirements is amazing. Generally not all your credits are transferable.

It's time to start ensuring these schools / kids are meeting the sham call academics as "scholar athletes"! That is where it might be the easiest to break this thing apart. This entire charade was never intended to be a job. If we go back to where this all started years ago, this should have just been a scholarship and a monthly stipend, maybe $1500/month with all room, board and education covered. How the NCAA couldn't understand this and turned this into a complete cluster is beyond any amount of common sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: Franisdaman
This story is just another nail in the coffin of major college sports. My question is where are the presidents of the universities in this NIL issue? The President of USC could stop the transfer if he or she had the courage. The same is true in all these NIL deals. How all these transfers magically make it through the admission and academic eligibility requirements is amazing. Generally not all your credits are transferable.
Can the university president stop Addison from signing a $3M movie deal with MGM? Can the university president stop him from signing a $3M record deal with Capital Records? Can the university president stop him from signing a $3M book deal with Simon & Schuster? The answer is: No.

The contract between Addison & The USC NIL Collective(s) is not connected to the university!

For example, if one of the terms of the hypothetical movie contract between Addison & MGM required that Addison be a full time student in good standing at USC, then Addison would need to do that in order to get his movie contract.

People need to stop "pulling" the schools into the contract between the Individual and the Collective(s).

One last point: The NCAA didn't let this happen. The NCAA was sued, lost the lawsuit, and has been castrated by the players. Schools are not going to get involved in this because they'll be sued, lose, and be castrated by the players.

Aaron Taylor is right, except I still don't agree that athletes need a bigger piece of the pie.

College Sports was supposed to be about young men and women that want a college education and participate in a sport while they are doing it.

I will admit, a person that doesn't care about a college education is getting screwed.

A person that truly values a college education is very well compensated.

So, today, college sports are all about the kids that don't care about a college education. The portal and NIL are about the kids that don't want a college education, but everyone is bending over backwards to keep them happy.

NIL was SUPPOSED to be about getting some cash to the kids - sign a few autographs, sell some t-shirts, make an appearance and make some dough. It was not intended as a vehicle for getting rich or auctioning their skills to the highest bidder.

The portal was SUPPOSED to allow athletes that were in a situation that they didn't like the additional freedom to move. They always had the freedom to move, but their were sacrifices. Now they simply get to repeat the recruiting process and go to the highest bidder.

For years I have been saying that the NFL and the NBA need to open their doors or at least pay plyers in a serious development league. To late. A kid can make way more money in college now than in a development league, and some might even make more than a rookie contract with either league.

If kids don't want a college degree, they should have better options outside of college sports. They haven't really in the past, and for now they certainly don't.
The diference is with nil now is the rich will find a way to take it off their taxes. So the average USA tax payer is screwed.

Everyone pissing and moaning about the "poor athletes" who receive tens of thousands of dollars worth of compensation in:

-Free tuition
-Free books and other supplies
-Free/preferential housing
-Free and better meals than the rest of the student populace
-Free tutoring and preferential treatment when registering for classes
-Free access to nutrition and training healthcare
-Exclusive access to the best athletic facilities in the nation, maybe even in the world
-Monthly stipends to offset the time they don't have for a job
-Hundreds of other smaller benefits like the constant free clothing, shoes, etc that comes with being a D1 athlete

Those people are getting exactly what they asked for. And the hundreds of thousands of athletes across the country who simply wanted to play the sport they loved while they went to school, or to turn said sport into a college degree they otherwise wouldn't have been able to afford, will be ****ed over in favor of the roughly 2% of football and basketball players who are making absolute bank off of NIL.

If things don't get fixed, not only is it going to kill college football, but collegiate athletics altogether.
Don't forget... as long as they aren't dumb as a box of rocks many of these athletes have a good job almost handed to them when they graduate via the network of alumni and boosters.

Everyone pissing and moaning about the "poor athletes" who receive tens of thousands of dollars worth of compensation in:

-Free tuition
-Exclusive access to the best athletic facilities in the nation, maybe even in the world
-Hundreds of other smaller benefits like the constant free clothing, shoes, etc that comes with being a D1 athlete

Those people are getting exactly what they asked for. And the hundreds of thousands of athletes across the country who simply wanted to play the sport they loved while they went to school, or to turn said sport into a college degree they otherwise wouldn't have been able to afford, will be ****ed over in favor of the roughly 2% of football and basketball players who are making absolute bank off of NIL.

If things don't get fixed, not only is it going to kill college football, but collegiate athletics altogether.
This. This. This.
My son played in college and did it because he loved the game. Yes he got some scholarships for it but still paid but loved his experience. What you said about him and the thousands like him is spot on. They will be screwed in the not-so-distant future.

It's time to start ensuring these schools / kids are meeting the sham call academics as "scholar athletes"! That is where it might be the easiest to break this thing apart. This entire charade was never intended to be a job. If we go back to where this all started years ago, this should have just been a scholarship and a monthly stipend, maybe $1500/month with all room, board and education covered. How the NCAA couldn't understand this and turned this into a completed cluster is beyond any amount of common sense.

The NCAA DID allow for schools to give out stipends, but the players didn’t want a cap on their earning potential.

Can the university president stop Addison from signing a $3M movie deal with MGM? Can the university president stop him from signing a $3M record deal with Capital Records? Can the university president stop him from signing a $3M book deal with Simon & Schuster? The answer is: No.

The contract between Addison & The USC NIL Collective(s) is not connected to the university!

For example, if one of the terms of the hypothetical movie contract between Addison & MGM required that Addison be a full time student in good standing at USC, then Addison would need to do that in order to get his movie contract.

People need to stop "pulling" the schools into the contract between the Individual and the Collective(s).

One last point: The NCAA didn't let this happen. The NCAA was sued, lost the lawsuit, and has been castrated by the players. Schools are not going to get involved in this because they'll be sued, lose, and be castrated by the players.

It was beyond obvious for months if not years that the NCAA was going to to lose that NIL case before the SC. The fact that they lost 9-0 tells you all you need to know about the case.

Emmert and the NCAA as a whole could have been working with schools to create regulations to try and prevent the excess we’re seeing in this Wild West.

It was beyond obvious for months if not years that the NCAA was going to to lose that NIL case before the SC. The fact that they lost 9-0 tells you all you need to know about the case.

Emmert and the NCAA as a whole could have been working with schools to create regulations to try and prevent the excess we’re seeing in this Wild West.
Any "...regulations to try and prevent the excess..." would have been crushed by the SCOTUS 9-0 decision, and would have been a waste of time. That's why they're not even attempting to do it today.

Any "...regulations to try and prevent the excess..." would have been crushed by the SCOTUS 9-0 decision, and would have been a waste of time. That's why they're not even attempting to do it today.

We’ll never know because they refused to even consider the possibility.

We’ll never know because they refused to even consider the possibility.
We would if they had the nuts to implement it tomorrow, but they're not doing it because they know they'll lose. The Justices "hinted" what their decision might be if the NCAA attempted such a stupid regulation.

-Free tuition

Hundreds of thousands.

Tell Me again why taxpayer dollars are going to State Institutions when they can pay Coaches Millions and now bribe Athletes to switch schools for Millions and a House, I would rather see Vets with healthcare and not homeless and good roads than see this crap, why even put Kids on Scholarship now? Just implement a salary cap, its semi pro anyway now.
Because at least in Iowa’s case no taxpayer money is used, the AD is self sustaining. Iowa’s President wanted excess funds to be transferred to the university.

Don’t see anyone blaming Addison, and I agree; no one should point any fingers at him, he has a limited time to make as much money as possible with his skill set.

Frankly, he and others may have a limited opportunity to seize large cash payouts before some guard rails are put up around this NIL situation. These types of deals will raise the eyebrows of lawmakers, anti trust issues, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT