ADVERTISEMENT

Abba Asked Trump to Stop Using Its Music. Other Artists Have, Too.

cigaretteman

HB King
May 29, 2001
Some of the world’s best-known musicians, or their estates, have objected to former President Donald J. Trump using their songs at his rallies and in campaign videos as he aims to win a second term in the White House this November.
Mr. Trump has faced similar backlash from artists before, during his 2016 and 2020 campaigns, as well as the 2018 midterm season. The list of objectors includes chart toppers and cult favorites, from The Rolling Stones, Neil Young, Bruce Springsteen, Rihanna, Guns N’ Roses and Linkin Park to the estates of Prince and Tom Petty. Along with scathing criticism of Mr. Trump’s politics and demands to stop using their music, some threatened legal action.
The number of musicians who want to distance themselves from Mr. Trump has grown in 2024. Here are some of the artists who have objected this year to his campaign using their music.

• Abba: The Swedish pop group Abba requested that its songs not be used by the Trump campaign after learning that they featured at one of his rallies, The Associated Press reported. The Trump campaign said it had a license, according to The A.P.
  • Celine Dion: During a rally in Montana on Aug. 9 that also featured Mr. Trump’s running mate, JD Vance, organizers played “My Heart Will Go On,” the Canadian superstar’s hit song from the movie “Titanic.” Ms. Dion said in a post on social media that its use was unauthorized and that she did not endorse it, adding, “And really, THAT song?”
  • Foo Fighters: Hours after he suspended his campaign, Robert F. Kennedy Jr. appeared at a Trump rally on Aug. 23 to the Foo Fighters hit “My Hero.” When asked by a user on X if it had allowed Mr. Trump to use the song, the rock band, which performed at an event for President Biden’s inauguration, said: “No.”
  • Isaac Hayes: The estate of Isaac Hayes, the soul singer and songwriter, has said it is suing Mr. Trump and his campaign for copyright infringement over the use of Mr. Hayes’s songs.
  • Johnny Marr: After a user on X posted a video in which a song by The Smiths is heard playing at a Trump rally venue, Johnny Marr, a guitarist and songwriter in the revered 1980s band, said he would get it “shut down right now.”
  • Jack White: Jack White, formerly of The White Stripes, threatened to sue the Trump campaign this week after one of the former president’s campaign staffers posted a video on X with the band’s hit “Seven Nation Army” playing in the background. “Don’t even think about using my music,” Mr. White said. The X post by the Trump staffer, Margo Martin, has since been deleted.

I think we can all agree ABBA music should stop being played by everyone.

Even Dancing Queen?

Village People Dancing GIF by de chinezen

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT