ADVERTISEMENT

AFC Title game official thread. Go Chiefs!********************************************************************************

Cincinnati is easily the best story in the BFL this year.
KC got caught up in their “shit don’t stink” egotism. In playoff football you take the points! You don’t get greedy!
You don’t win football games at halftime! This is a problem that has but the Chiefs in the ass many times before.

Quit watching at halftime. The empty possession on the 1 left me with a feeling that KC would shit the bed in the 2nd half.

Didn't check a score till the start of OT.

As a lifelong Bengals fan, I don't know what to do with myself. I've never seen a playoff win before this year, let alone a Super Bowl run.... I haven't had this much fun watching sports since the Cubbies 2016 World Series run.
As a Steelers fan, I hate you ;) , ok, not really. The level of overconfidence and BS here in KC this past week has been unbearable. I have lived here 26 years and it has never been this bad. I am a firm believer in karma and when you disrespect your opponent or take them lightly, it is going to get you.

Mad respect to you, the Bengals and the city of Cinci! Long overdue. I am going to HATE losing to Burrow and Chase for the next 350 years, but will thoroughly enjoy watching them beat the Rams in a couple weeks when EVERYONE and their dog is going to be on the Rams.

Good luck! Enjoy the ride.

It’s a game. Why choose to be so negative? If they lose, the sun will still rise tomorrow.

I’ve been a Chiefs fan for over thirty years. So I’ve seen a lot of choke jobs myself. In the end, it’s still just a game.

In terms of the future, Andy Reid really needs to reevaluate his approach to the game. I think part of the reason Mahomes and the Chiefs defense have struggled this year is because Reid doesn’t run the football enough and puts way too much pressure on Mahomes. The running game was getting about 4-6 yards a pop running on first down. Not once in that second half did they run the football two plays in a row. With a double-digit lead, that’s inexcusable.

You also have to kick a field goal before half. As great as Mahomes is, you’re the head coach. You have to tell him this is a team effort and were going to go into half up two touchdowns 24-10, especially since we get the ball to start the second half. By not getting points, they gave Cincy momentum going into the half.

In short, this loss is on Andy Reid. You know Mahomes has struggled this season when he tries to do too much. It’s his job to settle Mahomes down and take the pressure off him. Big big mistake not kicking a field goal before half and not running the football more in the second half. It cost Kansas City the game.
That first half game plan was perfect. Burrow can’t kill you from the sideline. The Chiefs have a REALLY GOOD run-blocking OL, and their RB’s are a perfect fit. Jerick McKinnon in that offense is soooo good.

But then they got cute. They just can’t help themselves. More specifically, Mahomes can’t help himself. Everything has to be flashy and tricky and back-foot/tight window, look at how strong my arm is…but the more possessions you give Burrow and those receivers…they will eventually get you. Credit to the Bengals for using their RB’s when KC was funneling their coverage, then hitting the WR’s later on. Their OC deserves big time kudos. Outstanding adjustments to what KC was doing.

Now that the stupid Mahomes family is defeated I just need Joe Shiesty to do me one more solid and shut the Rams fans up. They aren't all that bad but I'm surrounded by them and they are getting a bit annoying.

That first half game plan was perfect. Burrow can’t kill you from the sideline. The Chiefs have a REALLY GOOD run-blocking OL, and their RB’s are a perfect fit. Jerick McKinnon in that offense is soooo good.

But then they got cute. They just can’t help themselves. More specifically, Mahomes can’t help himself. Everything has to be flashy and tricky and back-foot/tight window, look at how strong my arm is…but the more possessions you give Burrow and those receivers…they will eventually get you. Credit to the Bengals for using their RB’s when KC was funneling their coverage, then hitting the WR’s later on. Their OC deserves big time kudos. Outstanding adjustments to what KC was doing.
Spot on. Excellent post.

Well, I remember when Don Shula got tossed to the curb to make way for Jimmy freaking Johnson.

Under Shula, we were in the playoffs every single year. Since then? Not so much.

Be careful what you wish for....
The Dolphins made the playoffs 12 times in Shula’s first 15 years but only 4 times in his last 10 years. In one stretch they missed the playoffs 4 years in a row from 1986 to 1989.

After running Shula out, they made the playoffs 5 of the next 6 seasons - 3 out of 4 under Johnson and then each of the first 2 seasons under Wannstedt.

Then things started to go sideways under Wannstedt and he got run out of town and was eventually replaced by Saban.

I still say their decision to sign Daunte Culpepper instead of Drew Brees hurt them more than getting rid of Shula. They could have had a Hall of Fame caliber QB for 15 years. Instead they ended up with a revolving door of journeymen.

Mad respect to you, the Bengals and the city of Cinci! Long overdue. I am going to HATE losing to Burrow and Chase for the next 350 years
I will be very surprised if Burrow is still in Cincinnati after his rookie contract expires in a couple years. If he continues this level of success he’s going to command a Mahomes-type contract and it’s difficult to imagine Mike Brown committing half a billion dollars to one guy.

I will be very surprised if Burrow is still in Cincinnati after his rookie contract expires in a couple years. If he continues this level of success he’s going to command a Mahomes-type contract and it’s difficult to imagine Mike Brown committing half a billion dollars to one guy.
He grew up in Ohio 2 hours from Cincinnati. He’s not going anywhere…

Reactions: GOHOX69
As a lifelong Bengals fan, I don't know what to do with myself. I've never seen a playoff win before this year, let alone a Super Bowl run.... I haven't had this much fun watching sports since the Cubbies 2016 World Series run.
You must be a young un. I was a Bengals fan way back when, due to my Indian Heritage and Bengal Tigers etc. No one remembers Cris Collinsworth and Ken Anderson? He went to Augustana College. They ran into an amazing SF team but Bengals were good.

I'm rooting for them since anything from California makes me allergic.

Reactions: cruhawk
Not sure if you’re being serious or sarcastic. Burrow left Ohio State to go to LSU. I could absolutely see him leaving Cincinnati if he can get a substantially better contract somewhere else.

Not sure if you’re being serious or sarcastic. Burrow left Ohio State to go to LSU. I could absolutely see him leaving Cincinnati if he can get a substantially better contract somewhere else.
I agree, but that was a little different. He wasn’t playing in Columbus.

That said, Brown is a cheap ass, so he’ll probably end up elsewhere.

Wasn't he in Lames, Iowa for a while?
He was born there. His father Jimmy had been an assistant coach on Jim Walden’s staff at ISU in the early/mid 90s. When Dan McCarney took over, Jimmy joined the staff at Ames High School. Joe was born while Jimmy was an assistant coach at the high school and Jimmy later became the head coach. When Joe was 4, they moved to Nebraska for a couple of years, then moved to Fargo, ND for a couple years before finally moving to Athens, OH, where they lived until Joe graduated high school and went to Ohio State.

You must be a young un. I was a Bengals fan way back when, due to my Indian Heritage and Bengal Tigers etc. No one remembers Cris Collinsworth and Ken Anderson? He went to Augustana College. They ran into an amazing SF team but Bengals were good.

So I was like... 5 when I decided I liked the Bengals, which would have been at the tail end of Boomer's time with Cincy. Since they weren't terrible back then they were actually on network TV, I saw the Ickey Shuffle and liked their helmets, that was pretty much it. Pretty sure I have a couple David Klingler rookie cards laying around somewhere :D

Kenny and Collinsworth were a bit before my time

The Bengals won last week because Tannehill is a bad QB. He had open receivers alllllll game that weren’t being seen. Mahomes probably won’t play that poorly. They can’t protect Burrow, and while he deserves a ton of credit for his toughness and leading them to a win despite being sacked NINE times, they still only scored 19 points. They’ll have to score 30+ to win this one.

Their first game against each other should mostly be ignored. Cincy was bailed out repeatedly by the zebras. SIX first downs from penalties is not sustainable. The Chiefs don’t have some impenetrable force of a defense, but they have been one of the best units in the league for the last 3 months. What Josh Allen did was otherworldly.

The wild card is Spagnuolo. He SHOULD rely on his front 4 for pressure and play quarters behind them, but you just know he’s going to get impatient and tinker with some cover 0 blitzes at the worst times. If I’m Andy Reid, I tell him that if he plays ONE snap with no deep safety, his ass is gone. Burrow is sensational against the blitz. Go nickel heavy, keep everything in front, let Clark, Jones and Ingram do their thing.
Talk about a take not aging well. In that regular season game in Cincinnati, the Chiefs got plenty of breaks, from both the Bengals (to wit, dropping two certain interceptions) and the "zebras" (several calls went against the Bengals, including a bogus DPI call on a drive that led to the Chiefs 1st score, and refs absolutely refused to call holding on KC's o-line, even though they could have several times.).

Talk about a take not aging well. In that regular season game in Cincinnati, the Chiefs got plenty of breaks, from both the Bengals (to wit, dropping two certain interceptions) and the "zebras" (several calls went against the Bengals, including a bogus DPI call on a drive that led to the Chiefs 1st score, and refs absolutely refused to call holding on KC's o-line, even though they could have several times.).
Eh, looked pretty good through 29 minutes. I suppose that’s a risk one takes when analyzing a game.

My mistake was thinking that Mahomes would play well the whole game. His second half was abysmal.

This. And after the Bengals spent a quarter of a billion on their defense in the last two years, the notion that they "can't keep" their franchise QB rings hollow.

Yup. People forget that the first two decades of Bengals football were pretty successful. Ken Anderson, Isaac Curtis, Anthony Munoz, Cris Collinsworth, Boomer Esiason, Ickey Woods. Two SB appearances in the eighties, two narrow last minute losses that easily could have gone the other way. Poor draft decisions and incredibly poor ownership with Mike Brown led to a decade long struggle in the 90s. Brown's smartest move up to that point was hiring Marvin Lewis, who brought back stability and winning between 2005-2015. Brown is quite a bit less involved in the business decisions these days, letting the younger generation take over...and it's showing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT