ADVERTISEMENT

After the Hawks win the next 4 games

20-11 regular season would be an absolute lock. Likely the lovely 8/9 game to be demolished by Houston in the second round.

Exactly. Most fans are ok with making the tournament with this year's team, but you have to get better seeding to make a run with a 5 or better seed (which we have wasted in the past anyway).

A 12 seed is way better for making the sweet 16 than 8/9 :(.

At this point just keep the momentum going and find a way into the tournament.

Half Baked Yes GIF

20-11 regular season would be an absolute lock. Likely the lovely 8/9 game to be demolished by Houston in the second round.
Who a month ago (heck, a week ago) was even thinking this team had the whiff of a chance to get "demolished" by Houston in the second round?

If they can manage to beat Illinois this weekend, there won't be a big enough bandwagon to accommodate Iowa fans. Not saying there weren't reasons, but the suspension on the wagon will need to be shored up. Heck, with 8 games to go, I figured their most probable record would be 2-6 based on prior performances. I'm already off by 1.

Jumping In GIF by Beastie Boys

This team runs hot and cold. I'm not going to predict anything - I'll just watch 'em.

At this point the Hawks are 8-8. They are 5-3 against the teams ahead of them in the conference and 3-5 against the teams below them.

🤷‍♂️

Exactly. Most fans are ok with making the tournament with this year's team, but you have to get better seeding to make a run with a 5 or better seed (which we have wasted in the past anyway).

A 12 seed is way better for making the sweet 16 than 8/9 :(.

At this point just keep the momentum going and find a way into the tournament.
Correct. Seeding is everything (or almost).

Getting to the tournament would be a nice way to cap this season, especially given how things were looking just a week ago. Feels like the Hawks are playing with house money right now. As I said the other day, may as well just play loose, try to steal a few games, and see what happens. This feels a lot like Fran's third year where the team made a late push (and then got Teddy V'd against MSU in the BTT).

Yes, I still want more than just a one and done, but it sure beats the alternative of being in the NIT or worse. I'm rooting for them to get in. March Madness feels lonely if the Hawks aren't in it for at least the one game.

Reactions: NI hawk
Correct. Seeding is everything (or almost).

Getting to the tournament would be a nice way to cap this season, especially given how things were looking just a week ago. Feels like the Hawks are playing with house money right now. As I said the other day, may as well just play loose, try to steal a few games, and see what happens. This feels a lot like Fran's third year where the team made a late push (and then got Teddy V'd against MSU in the BTT).

Yes, I still want more than just a one and done, but it sure beats the alternative of being in the NIT or worse. I'm rooting for them to get in. March Madness feels lonely if the Hawks aren't in it for at least the one game.
Just want a chance. Damn I was fortunate to witness 1979-89. And 1970. Some pretty tough losses those years.

Just want a chance. Damn I was fortunate to witness 1979-89. And 1970. Some pretty tough losses those years.
My earliest real memory was of the 1986-87 team and that great season and tournament run they had. 30 wins, 2 seed, just an eyelash away from a Final Four, and who can say what would have happened from there. As painful as the UNLV loss was and still haunts me to this day, I just want to live that again at some point. There's nothing like still being in the mix deeper into the tournament.

Chances have been sparse since 1987, though. That's what makes 2006, 2021 and 2022 so hard to swallow. Those were chances to make a better tournament run once again, and a single win over Grand Canyon is all we have to show for it. First round upsets have happened to every program, but dang. Iowa has fumbled it's chances.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
Those were the glory years. Particularly the Lute Olson years when the Field house was rocking and they reached the Final Four. Great times.

Who a month ago (heck, a week ago) was even thinking this team had the whiff of a chance to get "demolished" by Houston in the second round?

If they can manage to beat Illinois this weekend, there won't be a big enough bandwagon to accommodate Iowa fans. Not saying there weren't reasons, but the suspension on the wagon will need to be shored up. Heck, with 8 games to go, I figured their most probable record would be 2-6 based on prior performances. I'm already off by 1.

Jumping In GIF by Beastie Boys
Not me. I was firmly in the "I'll tune in if I have nothing else going on" camp. It's better for my heart health:cool:

Reactions: BrotherHawkeye
This team runs hot and cold. I'm not going to predict anything - I'll just watch 'em.

At this point the Hawks are 8-8. They are 5-3 against the teams ahead of them in the conference and 3-5 against the teams below them.

🤷‍♂️

Seems like that’s been a thing before…strange, but I suppose typical of a team like ours.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
My earliest real memory was of the 1986-87 team and that great season and tournament run they had. 30 wins, 2 seed, just an eyelash away from a Final Four, and who can say what would have happened from there. As painful as the UNLV loss was and still haunts me to this day, I just want to live that again at some point. There's nothing like still being in the mix deeper into the tournament.

Chances have been sparse since 1987, though. That's what makes 2006, 2021 and 2022 so hard to swallow. Those were chances to make a better tournament run once again, and a single win over Grand Canyon is all we have to show for it. First round upsets have happened to every program, but dang. Iowa has fumbled it's chances.

They have but we aren’t even in the top 10 of bad Trny losses. Though NW st was tough.

The 1980 FF run was a hoot. We watched games with a good sized group of friends and had a great time!

Would love to do that again someday.

🥳

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT